View topic image gallery

52159937290__FF09B994-4D88-41A6-8DEC-B00D5B216E44 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170712_165024097 (resized).jpg
IMG_6630 (resized).JPG
IMG_6629 (resized).JPG
IMG_8634 (resized).JPG
IMG_6487 (resized).JPG
hqdefault (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I played today. Figured I should do so before I review.

where did you play?

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Arapahoe Bowling Center, Centennial, South Denver. They have 2. One works well, the other stole my dollar.

those are both prototype games. Sorry but those games dont play even remotely similar to full production games.

I know since we had (I believe) those exact same games in Madison for a few weeks and now have a full produciton unit.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Gameplay: The shots are wide open, easy, and fun. This game has a lot of flow for a Pat Lawlor game. I hate the Mick Drac Attack guy, and all other dudes-on-a-stick.

you need a better review of gameplay also. Sorry but you obviously have not explored the game enough. There are some open flow shots and also some fun yet challenging super tight shots (sim card, right and left targets, etc...). The power man is nothing like mick on stick in actual gameplay and is coded very well to both help and block at certain times. Well designed for risk v reward.

#56 6 years ago

I dont like that a perfectly leveled and pitched game will often drop the ball SDTM from the theater magnet. They NEED to pulse this as punishing a player for making a shot is BS IMHO.

I dont like that the mid level play strategy (where I am at right now) is not super intuitive without a spotter (all JJP games seem to be like this) and would like to have more direct callouts so I can play single.

I dont like that they missed the ball in making this really more about the disaster series (earthshaker, whirlwind, and now armageadon). I dont think the theme is good, but it is not bad either. Just poor branding as more of a meh and I think they could have tweaked it to be more about the city and less about the "phone" hangup most have.

Overall, I think it is positively the best designed lawlor game of all time! Pats masterpiece which honestly makes me even more excited for his next game as we all know TZ is what cam after and because of TAF.

I guess the only real thing I dont like is the price. I think the standard should have been 6500 and I think stripping the light up ramp form the standard was a BS marketiong move to push the LE. (it worked as we bought the LE, but I dont agree with it)

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

He loves everything...as long as Stern doesn't make it

that is not true at all. I like some of the good Stern games (TWD in partciular is a great game)

Stern just makes so much cheap crap form cost cutting and their pack of code support is maddening. Every new release from them brings about new surprises in a bad way. Granted they have been better on the support side (replacing playfields with ghosting and now cabinents with splitting), but I woudl prefer to not have those issues to begin with.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I definitely respect an honest opinion like whysnow just gave on his dislikes. He owns the game, and is willing to be honest about it. Goes to show no game is perfect, and yet a guy can still buy it and just enjoy it. I keep thinking about Switching from SW LE to DI LE, and this type of opinion from an owner tells just how fun the game must be even with it's imperfections.

it really is a super fun game.

I will say it definately has the "it" factor or "just one more" factor but it took about 20 games on it before I got that. I think the reason it took/takes a bit longer to rope you in is because the game is very approachable but after you start to dig in you then start to realize more of the nuianced play styles and the challenge to do more and see more or progress in a different way starts to grow.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, how are ball-times? I am hearing conflicting comments on long ball times.

When I checked audits last they are right in line with other new games. ~1min per ball. ~3min per game.

I can check specifically next time I am in.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Hopefully you will be understanding when people are being constructively critical of TNA.

I have no idea what you are talking about or inferring...

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

DI is pretty cool but I don't think Pat will ever top Funhouse. That game is pure genius.

You need to separate the GAMES from the COMPANY. Even if you think Stern is churning out firewood now, that doesn't make early and current titles PLAY worse. Metallica and TWD are some of the best coded games in history, and they've both held up very well in the field. My MetLE has thousands of plays and all I've done is change the magnet core. You should rate a game based on gameplay, looks, sound, etc... then add on a big asterisk: "assuming you get a good example, beware these issues: etc etc " Not all machines Stern makes have playfield and cabinet issues, although the ratio has gotten worse lately. It's silly to rate Metallica poorly because Ghostbusters has playfield issues or whatever...

I understand that you are continually hung up ad nauseum with my rating of Metallica. What will it take for you to finally understand that I have rated it precisely based on "gameplay, looks, sound, etc... "? It is just personal preference and that game is by far the most over rated and dull game IMHO. Not only is is made of firewood, it is all about chopping wood into a forest of boredom. As much as you love the game, I loathe it and would honestly never own one. The only game I like less is likely ACDC.

It is not a big deal, just my opinion on the game. That is the cool part about there being such a wide variety of games to play.

My comment regarding their poor quality of construction and QC was in reply to the snarky comment that I dont like any Stern games.

Reality is that I really enjoy TWD, GB, Aero, a little kiss even. I am guessing I will really like SW as it looks like it will shoot similar to GOT pro which I think has a very fun style of play.

2 weeks later
#114 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Seems fairly shallow if a ton of people are already obtaining the wizard modes? Or no? Shoots great just feel the code as it stands does not use the playfield shots that good lots of modes are hit one shot it seems. Which stinks cause it has one of the coolest playfield layouts ever

Pretty sure you shuold not use a few VERY good players as your benchmark D. Nobody has come even close on our route machine yet and there are lots of top 500 players on it each week.

Initial code was giving out EB like candy so people were playing 7, 8, 9 balls on a single game.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And outlanes were also opened all the way up on Hilton's machine which really cuts down on ball times. I think Dialed In on factory settings is way too easy but if you turn down the extra balls and open up the outlanes it is actually pretty brutal! I haven't even been able to crack a million yet and I had scores over 2.5 million when we had those test machines back in April for a few days.

is ours still giving out EBs like candy? I have not been over for a while

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Not at all. I don't think I've gotten more than 2 extra balls in a game.-1 is pretty typical. I think it is set for only 1 score threshold EB.
I still remember when you guys first put out that test DI game a few months back and you texted me the next morning asking if something was wrong with the game because it was played all night despite only having a few dollars in the cashbox.-Default settings was the culprit. lol...
On a side note, I saw in another thread someone suggesting changing the magnet settings (upping it as high as 100) to help with the problem with the theater dropping it SDTM.-i think it pulls it around instead? May want to give that a try as that is the most frustrating issue with how the game is setup.-I avoid the theater shot because of it which is needed in most of the modes.

Sean has been steadily tweaking that. I will text him now so he knows.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks. I haven't stopped to play it for about a week and a half so it's possible he could have fixed it.

he plans to hopefully stop in over lunch to further tweak

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks. I haven't stopped to play it for about a week and a half so it's possible he could have fixed it.

Sean stopped in over lunch. Setting is now at -130 for Theater. Please stop in to play and let us know if you experience more SDTM drains. It seems to be good now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-dialed-in?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.