View topic image gallery

52159937290__FF09B994-4D88-41A6-8DEC-B00D5B216E44 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170712_165024097 (resized).jpg
IMG_6630 (resized).JPG
IMG_6629 (resized).JPG
IMG_8634 (resized).JPG
IMG_6487 (resized).JPG
hqdefault (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Concretehardt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My Review:
I've played about 30 or so games over the past week, so I am going to offer a gameplay review:
The game flows nicely, and is stocked with classic Lawlorisms that will feel familiar. The only thing I'd say that is really updated are the multiballs - everything is stackable in that JJP way. So I gave up trying to score points in the quick multiballs (drone, monkey wrench, high voltage) and just use them as utility for lighting regular multiball locks and also starting and finishing modes. Also, in regular multiball, it's not your standard "get jackpot or super/double jackpot, relight, and do again" multiball. It's more of your standard modern "lots of jackpots are lit" multiball.
The modes are easy to understand and there's points in them. You can time them out old school style or try to complete. I'm not sure what the benefit of completing modes is beyond getting more points - is there a super duper wizard mode for completing them, or does more complete modes simply mean a more lucrative armagaddon (the Lost in the Zone style wiz mode?) not sure.
The shots are smooth, the feel is nice, the upper flipper shot isn't very hard once you figure it out (more Addams than Whirlwind).
I found this to be a fun game, but it's a bit grindy and the ball times - on factory - can be very long. My best games have to have been north of 40 minutes. There's also a shitton of extra balls - classic lawlor style - but if I were operating this game I'd probably turn some off or at least remove the replay score EB. My best games were at least 6 balls.
The Wizard mode is also a little underwhelming. I only got it twice but with point totals of 380,000 and 450,000 in my two wizard modes, that's not really a huge reward in a game where you can have bonuses bigger than that. It's another unlimited balls/timed wiz mode kind of thing and it will seem pretty familiar.
Theme/art - everybody will have an opinion on this. Fact is it does reflect today's pop culture and that's pretty brilliant. I found myself getting some anxiety when my phone isn't charged, and posing for selfies like an idiot. Yeah the whole thing makes you depressed but let's face it most of us are addicted to our phones in one way or another and the game is an amusing reflection of that.
Overall, this game is very reminiscent of Lawlor's Roadshow-current work. If you love that stuff, you'll love this. I think it's a good game but it's not going to unseat classics like TAF, TZ, or Funhouse for me. But that's like expecting the Stones to crank out another Sticky Fingers in 2017. It's going to be a too easy for good players on factory, I'm sure in tournaments you'll see open posts, no ball save, etc. to make this a little more challenging. The software is deep, well done, and feels pretty finished to me. I think they'll sell a bunch of these. It's easily the best JJP game but I'm not a fan of their earlier layouts, so getting a pro like Lawlor to make one that was pretty much a given. It's also the first JJP game where I feel the instructions are very intuitive and it's not that tough to figure out what's going on at any given time, due to a more streamlined display and better insert lighting cues.

Nice review and score

IMG_8634 (resized).JPGIMG_8634 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Concretehardt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-dialed-in?tu=Concretehardt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.