View topic image gallery

52159937290__FF09B994-4D88-41A6-8DEC-B00D5B216E44 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170712_165024097 (resized).jpg
IMG_6630 (resized).JPG
IMG_6629 (resized).JPG
IMG_8634 (resized).JPG
IMG_6487 (resized).JPG
hqdefault (resized).jpg
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

I give Jack a lot of credit for creating a high end unlicensed theme. Good job, Jack. That was a bold move.

Title: I don't mind the title. Not great, not terrible, and we'll get used to it. ...and Quantum City is not much better, really.

Gameplay: The shots are wide open, easy, and fun. This game has a lot of flow for a Pat Lawlor game. I hate the Mick Drac Attack guy, and all other dudes-on-a-stick.

Art: The art is colorful, attractive and high quality, but I can't forgive the terrible hero character. C'mon...mom jeans and half rolled sleeves? Obvious poor choices.

Theme: The cell phone, drones, selfies and emojis are an old guy's idea of what young people like. This theme will age poorly.

Video: The LCD is beautiful, and shows high quality, custom built images. However, for the player, there's nothing there really worth looking at. The story is told VERY poorly, and that's a shame.

I was disappointed to see another hologram toy. Already saw that trick on GB. I understand there was some friction between JJP and Stern about that one.

This may sound like a very critical review, but I'm very glad that JJP created this game. A few bad decisions here and there, but they created a fun game that shoots very well. Who knows, it may be quirky enough to become a cult classic one day. I'm not buying it yet, but plan to spend a lot of quarters on location.

#2 6 years ago

so just wondering -- what do you think the board would look like if everyone created a new thread every time they wanted to express an opinion on a game?

#3 6 years ago

I really want to play this as I like Lawyer's way of laying out a game, but would not buy one regardless of how well it might play as the theme blows, IMO.

Good point, PP--that would really clog things up.

#4 6 years ago

I'm reading your post looking for the review...did you play it?

This "review" seems like it belongs post reveal from like a year ago or whenever that was.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

so just wondering -- what do you think the board would look like if everyone created a new thread every time they wanted to express an opinion on a game?

I hate when people post about how they wish people wouldn't post.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm reading your post looking for the review...did you play it?
This "review" seems like it belongs post reveal from like a year ago or whenever that was.

I played today. Figured I should do so before I review.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks Russell. I too feel like game reviews aboot how the game plays completely overrated.

#8 6 years ago

Honestly I don't see a problem with your review. After all, it's completely subjective and only your opinion. This is really the first negative leaning review I've seen on DI. Seems based mostly on the cosmetics, but that's fine. Fun factor and gameplay ultimately matters most, and it sounds like you enjoy that aspect. I can only compare my opinion on the cosmetics of it since I have yet to play it, and I mostly see it differently than you, but that's ok. Always good to hear another opinion though.

#9 6 years ago

Played DILE and AerosmithLE yesterday.

DI is the best boring pinball I have played in a while. The game is great if not fantastic, but nothing draws me in, the callouts are boring, the emotes or what they are called annoying, the photos are not how you make me come back for more. But I agree, this is money much better spent than on Stern's latest (Aerosmith) - although brand new as well it felt worn out and already aged in comparison.

I played AFM right after - another original theme. AFM dragged me in right away with its callouts and was pure excitement in comparison.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Theme: The cell phone, drones, selfies and emojis are an old guy's idea of what young people like. This theme will age poorly.

Theme is important as your review highlights and I had this EXACT thought when I saw the art package and initial gameplay footage. The integration of those pieces seems clever in footage I've watched and I think the color scheme works well, but it all leaves me wondering who the target audience is. Theme aside, I adore Pat Lawlor games & am really looking forward to playing DI

#11 6 years ago

I don't think the theme will age poorly. That rarely seems to be the case with pinball. Pinball has always provided snapshots of pop culture and society, and they generally fall into scraps of nostalgia rather than irrelevance. And to say that seflies and emojis aren't on point when capturing a slice of today's culture is just wrong.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't think the theme will age poorly. That rarely seems to be the case with pinball.

I'm trying to think of a theme that "aged poorly" and I don't really know what I'm looking for; maybe someone can list some?
My guess is that good games don't age. So whether it ends up as a good came is the question.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I agree, can't get past the theme.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm trying to think of a theme that "aged poorly" and I don't really know what I'm looking for; maybe someone can list some?

The Hobbit?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My guess is that good games don't age. So whether it ends up as a good came is the question.

Even bad games tend to age just fine on the theme side of things. Gameplay can feel dated or boring on something that just doesn't hold up well, but the theme should be a suitable reflection of its era. Themes have always been important at launch, sure, but over time it all comes down to whether or not the game is fun to play.

Today's collector is so hung up on theme. It's really crazy. It has to be a little disheartening for designers to be forced into coming at things with a theme-first attitude.

#16 6 years ago

The Hobbit? Ouch. Only on it for maybe 20 mins but I liked it. Hoping to get some more time at Pintastic.
-Mike

#17 6 years ago

Take a game like that. Has it aged poorly or is it just not a very good machine?
This might be off topic since DI is unlicensed, but nothing has "aged worse" than the movie Congo ...many 90s bad movies/good pins aren't even "aged out."
People still buy and like Flintstones for some reason.
EDIT: I left out themes that are specifically time period based like W?D & Creech

#18 6 years ago

For whatever its worth, I only read the review because it was a new thread. If it were on the old one I would not have seen/read it. Now after reading this review I am interested in learning more about the game, thanks for sharing.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Take a game like that. Has it aged poorly or is it just not a very good machine?
This might be off topic since DI is unlicensed, but nothing has "aged worse" than the movie Congo ...many 90s bad movies/good pins aren't even "aged out."
People still buy and like Flintstones for some reason.
EDIT: I left out themes that are specifically time period based like W?D & Creech

The Hobbit is and always will be a timeless theme. The pin is based off of one of the best books of all time by J.R.R Tolkien who is regarded as one of the best authors of all time. The Hobbit pinball machine is currently ranked #26 on Pinside which considering the number of good releases in the past 5 years and flack the game received early on is pretty darn good. Also, thanks to JJP's programming team the game will only continue to get better with each code release

The stellar code support from JJP is a big reason why many, including myself, have or are considering purchasing a Dialed In. With NIB pins now costing $5k-$10k+ code offering deep and unique rules is more important then ever.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can't get past that you can't get past the theme.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Hobbit is and always will be a timeless theme. The pin is based off one of the best books of all time by J.R.R Tolkien who is regarded as one of the best authors of all time. The Hobbit pinball machine is currently ranked #26 on Pinside and thanks to JJP's programming team will only continue to get better with each code release

Agreed. Not worth arguing over whether Hobbit is a great game or not. Some people will just never enjoy it, and that's fine. I absolutely love ours, and that's all that matters. It's a timeless classic theme whether on a pinball, movies, or books. Same as woz.

#22 6 years ago

The game is well designed and fun. Put some hours into it with some friends and you'll see how it really brings you in. Shoots amazingly, feels quality, and has plenty of wow moments even if you're not blowing the game up. I don't own one, but I've played enough to know.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

The game is well designed and fun. Put some hours into it with some friends and you'll see how it really brings you in. Shoots amazingly, feels quality, and has plenty of wow moments even if you're not blowing the game up. I don't own one, but I've played enough to know.

Agree. I played a prototype a month back that looked like it had a thousands of plays on it and it still played great, super smooth.

#24 6 years ago

Multiball is pretty intense when you have attacks coming in and you're trying to deal with that while keeping balls alive while still staying mindful of getting your upper flipper shots in. It's a lot like Twilight Zone's multiball with some extra twists thrown in. Gets the blood pumping a bit.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The movies themselves didn't help and releasing it so long after also hurt but it probably suffers from not being a great pin?

I'm game for original themes, and you have to applaud JJP for going for it, but this one just isn't that exciting to me.

Whether the movie or show was crappy or not at least we all know and probably saw Congo, the Flintstones, Demolition Man, etc. and can somewhat relate to it

I don't see how a generic cell phone theme holds up over time? Maybe it will, time will tell.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

For whatever its worth, I only read the review because it was a new thread. If it were on the old one I would not have seen/read it. Now after reading this review I am interested in learning more about the game, thanks for sharing.

I agree. Plus, it does have some humor and at times I thought the mini review was eventually going to go positive. "Dudes-on-a-stick" LOL.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

This theme will age poorly

We will serve no whine before it's time.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm game for original themes, and you have to applaud JJP for going for it, but this one just isn't that exciting to me.

Whether the movie or show was crappy or not at least we all know and probably saw Congo, the Flintstones, Demolition Man, etc. and can somewhat relate to it

I can see that & understand. It's funny because I was kind of over this look when RS came out of the box. At the time I was thinking "of Funhouse had a head now there's 2 heads... " But it's been long enough I'm kind of into that schtik right now.

Short version is those movies are horrible and we are familiar with them. PL games are relatable to us and usually in a good way so I don't see why that isn't enough. But again, I haven't crowned this things ass either

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Hobbit is and always will be a timeless theme. The pin is based off ...

Jesus man give it a rest...I;ve already orderd a DI I don;t need a fucking hard sell or a history lesson on geek life.

#29 6 years ago

We all have different tastes, and I find one opinion mentioned here i have trouble putting my finger on....
We know it by the mystical, "One more game factor".

South Park, had me on theme....its a great show, but the call outs and shots were so repetitive, the "it" factor was done in a month.
TWD, because I just uploaded new sound, once again has "it", for code, shots, theme, and affect....for me.....
Metallica has it, but for me, the theme made me not keep. But it has "It" 100% in every other way.

So what about Dialed In?

I think everyone agrees, it shoots smooth like butter.
I think the theme, doesnt make it an automatic, "it" but could grow on one over time.
(Imagine reviewing Earthshaker as if it was a new release!)
It has a stunning light show and Audio....Id say its got that.
Multiball....I feel, after over 100 games played, one of the best multi balls... It has "It".
Overall.....Its a Solid 8 out of 10.
A 7, if you dont like something, and a 9, if it hits all your buttons.

It cant be a 6...we all know those game titles, and way to early to rank it much higher.

After that, my opinion is just mine, just like the Ops, and whether you love it or hate it, agree or disagree
with ones review, I am damn grateful to see the game made, and available to play.....especially considering how hard
its been for others to complete a full game business model.

For me, a Round of appluase for everyone associated with JJP.....anything else is details...valid, nonetheless.

#30 6 years ago

Is it perhaps pinside that is aging poorly?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I can see that & understand. It's funny because I was kind of over this look when RS came out of the box. At the time I was thinking "of Funhouse had a head now there's 2 heads... " But it's been long enough I'm kind of into that schtik right now.

I think RS is a genius layout by Lawlor and a fun redneck original theme.

I get that Pat tried to do something new and relevant to today's world. It's a bit different though at $3k versus $9k when it comes to owning a pin and the gotta really love it factor.

I'm def aging poorly btw

#32 6 years ago

Sure but whether it's a good enough theme to own shouldn't change whether you think it's a fun game, or if it will age poorly....whixh still no one has offered a poorly aged machine/theme.

No one can deny we are all just aging so poorly

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

no one has offered a poorly aged machine/theme.

Don't you mean that's what everybody else is offering now?

#34 6 years ago

Theme is often important to me as well. However, as I play or try out different games, I'm trying to keep an open mind and not automatically dismiss it based on theme alone.
I played DI and had a ton of fun playing it without really giving a second thought to the title or theme.
I've also recently played an Aerosmith LE and although I don't love the band, I still really enjoyed the gameplay.
This is all very subjective and it's great that we continue to get a varied choice of titles from JJP and Stern.

#35 6 years ago

The truth is Dialed In is about as good a theme as you can expect to get in a new pinball game anymore.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The truth is Dialed In is about as good a theme as you can expect to get in a new pinball game anymore.

Nah, there's plenty of great concepts that could be tried, they just haven't done them. I think Dialed In is missing a menacing aspect, there's hints of that with the DIE triangles but I wish that was more a part of the theme. I also wish it were funnier (I can't count the number of times I've played RS but it still makes me laugh).

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I think Dialed In is missing a menacing aspect...

Yeah that's the JJP issue right there...the whole "Family/non threatening" they're really holding on to.
I mean it's another disaster pin...no one got their dick pulled through their throat in Whirlwind but it was still good.
EDIT: But I'm always in for more blood and guts

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's the JJP issue right there...the whole "Family/non threatening" they're really holding on to.
I mean it's another disaster pin...no one got their dick pulled through their throat in Whirlwind but it was still good.
EDIT: But I'm always in for more blood and guts

Good points as I do like a little edge, though I don't think JJP loses anything with the non threatening route. In fact it's probably a benefit in the home market. Conflict makes great stories & disasters can make excellent antagonists (ala the Twister in Twister). Can work just fine without blood/guts. Most pins are not Walking Dead. As much as I love TWD, I couldn't put it in my house

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The cell phone, drones, selfies and emojis are an old guy's idea of what young people like.

The thing is, that's all EXACTLY what young people like. I used to teach at a high school. I can assure you, the only way they could've made it more relevant is if they toss in a couple of "fidget spinners;" but unlike that fad, cell phones, selfies, and emojis aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

#40 6 years ago

When it was released I dismissed it due to theme. Now that I've played the game 15-20 times I found myself maybe wishing I would have ordered one instead of what I did order. The game plays and feels solid and is high quality with a lot of toys and shots! The game plays really well. I recently had the chance to play AFMr(which I have on order) and Dialed In side by side. Dialed in actually drew me in a bit more which surprised me as AFMr is an incredible game. I was waiting on Star Wars and now can't get past that artwork so this one might be the next.

#41 6 years ago

A lot of us were skeptical when the theme was revealed and most were disappointed. That's one of the downsides of not having a licensed theme. But - on the flip side - what happens to a pin if the theme/movie was a flop? (See Popeye / Congo above). If the theme/movie is a flop, the pin typically flops too.

DI doesn't have the benefit or baggage of a license. (Unless you consider "Lawlor" the license)

Before I played the game, I thought the theme would doom the pin. I'm now of the opinion while a lot could have been done to improve it, the theme won't "flop" over time and will age just fine for most who actually buy the game.

#42 6 years ago

I played it the other day at Silverball Museum. It was lackluster for me at best, seemed way to done up and the them is not my idea of pinball. But it is still better than the BM 66 junk any day.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I played it the other day at Silverball Museum. It was lackluster for me at best, seemed way to done up and the them is not my idea of pinball. But it is still better than the BM 66 junk any day.

Damn! I missed you - I was there Thursday!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

But it is still better than the BM 66 junk any day.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think you should post one more time about not liking the theme

#46 6 years ago

I appreciate the review of DI. Jay is a real benefit of this forum.

If only one review per game was allowed on pinside that would be bad.

Most pinsiders don't write reviews so I don't think we have to worry about everyone writing reviews.

#47 6 years ago

If his review had been nothing but positive on how amazing it is and how the theme isn't a big deal and of course build quality and all that then this thread would be on fire with JJP/DI fanboys praising him, you can see that the comments shooting down the review in a mostly condescending way have many thumbs up, wonder who they are?

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I played today. Figured I should do so before I review.

where did you play?

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Johnny Mnemonic... bad movie, old tech like modems and touch-tone multiball, bad impersonation of actors in the bad movie trying to act cool... Game shoots great and has nice music and rules, but the theme.. bleh.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

where did you play?

Arapahoe Bowling Center, Centennial, South Denver. They have 2. One works well, the other stole my dollar.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-dialed-in?hl=kratogen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.