View topic image gallery

52159937290__FF09B994-4D88-41A6-8DEC-B00D5B216E44 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170712_165024097 (resized).jpg
IMG_6630 (resized).JPG
IMG_6629 (resized).JPG
IMG_8634 (resized).JPG
IMG_6487 (resized).JPG
hqdefault (resized).jpg
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago

Di code is really good and there is plenty there for a user to explore.

#152 6 years ago

I'm guessing they will have all of the faces animated eventually. As it sits, only certain characters are animated on the phone screen, others are just static images. I love this game.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

I'm guessing they will have all of the faces animated eventually. As it sits, only certain characters are animated on the phone screen, others are just static images. I love this game.

As soon as I saw this I contacted JT the programmer. Yes, they are working on it.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

As soon as I saw this I contacted JT the programmer. Yes, they are working on it.

So cool! I'm am looking forward to seeing the little things they add, but as others said the game does seem complete for the most part and likely all that we will see, or all the game may need, is small tweaks. It's amazing the level of dedication that JJP has to code compared to other pinball manufacturers!

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

So cool! I'm am looking forward to seeing the little things they add, but as others said the game does seem complete for the most part and likely all that we will see, or all the game may need, is small tweaks. It's amazing the level of dedication that JJP has to code compared to other pinball manufacturers!

Be nice!

JJP spent 4 years on development of Dialed In. I'm guessing that's at least 4X how long Stern is spending.

You can't have it all...if you want a game every 4 years with complete software, JJP is your go to. If you are more interested in regular releases of quality games, you are gonna have to with Stern and wait for code updates.

#156 6 years ago

It would definitely be cool to get some livelier callouts, and I bet they could put together a multiball buildup to equal TZ's.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Be nice!
JJP spent 4 years on development of Dialed In. I'm guessing that's at least 4X how long Stern is spending.
You can't have it all...if you want a game every 4 years with complete software, JJP is your go to. If you are more interested in regular releases of quality games, you are gonna have to with Stern and wait for code updates.

True, there is no doubt JJP is the king of code, but I feel bad and am glad I didn't end up with a Batman66 or Kiss. I don't know that all of JJP's games will take 4 years to code. I believe Keefer said he is working on the next 1 or might have been 2 games and didn't Jack say they were going to try and do 2 or more games per year?

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

True, there is no doubt JJP is the king of code, but I feel bad and am glad I didn't end up with a Batman66 or Kiss.

Kiss is great.

The whole "where's the code" thing is some kind of weird mass hallucination. The code is finished.

But it's normal Stern cycle finished, not JJP 4-year finished. There's room for both kinds of games in this market.

Don't know what to say about Batman. It ain't great and not sure what more code is gonna do there.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Kiss is great.
The whole "where's the code" thing is some kind of weird mass hallucination. The code is finished.

Hmmm, but didn't Stern say there would be another update sometime this year and isn't there a factory tour video somewhere where Gomez says something along the lines of they need to find time to do another code update because that's what the customers want?

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Hmmm, but didn't Stern say there would be another update sometime this year and isn't there a factory tour video somewhere where Gomez says something along the lines of they need to find time to do another code update because that's what the customers want?

I have no idea. If they did, they never should have said those things. All statements like that do is paint people into corners and arouse the agitators.

Play KISS sometime. Feels finished to me. Not sure what people are expecting.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't know what to say about Batman. It ain't great and not sure what more code is gonna do there.

Code can't save Batman. It'll elevate it some, but it can't ever make it great. Lyman could be better used elsewhere.

I understand that Stern can't go deep with their code due to their production schedule. I'm not upset by that. What does suck is that really bad bugs or terribly implemented features never get fixed. That cuts the legs off of the game's longevity in a home setting. Ghostbusters has such a sorry excuse for a final wizard mode. It's literally the worst multiball in the game. There are bugs in there that REALLY need to be addressed. It's now becoming common that every game has some really annoying thing that they're just never going to clean up. Kind of sucks.

#162 6 years ago

My first new machine was a Star Trek Premium.
I really liked it. Fun callouts, great light show, LOVED the moving ship...standard shots.
But it grew old quickly.
I sold it and bought The Hobbit.
What a difference. You may not like the theme, but the game play and code is far and above Stern.
My wife HATES the Hobbit movies...but loves the pin.

Now...I had a chance to play a Dialed In.
The theme is fine...kinda quirky...very "today". I don't believe it will get dated like a movie themed machine can.
After playing it a few times, my wife and I both agreed we're buying one.
I wish I could judge games by their design...but that "feel" needs to be experienced.
DI has that "feel".
My prediction is...DI is going to turn into "that game". I expect it to be sought after years down the road.
There is just something about it. And compared to what else has come out the last few years...there is not much competition.
Star Wars was such a let down...but honestly, I've gotten excited about the last few Sterns only to feel let down by the playfield. I already own an ACDC...I don't need another one with cheesy Star Wars art.
I realize not every game is for everyone.
And JJP will keep improving the code. They tend to listen to their fans. Though they can't make everyone happy...they have made me happy.
I'll soon own #2 and #3...and wish to own #1 (The Wizard of Oz).
I guess I'm becoming a loyal JJP owner.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I understand that Stern can't go deep with their code due to their production schedule. I'm not upset by that.

Not trying to stir the pot, but I don't see how you can't be disappointed in Stern's code. If they were a lot cheaper I could see this sliding a little more, but the Stern premium and LE games are not a whole lot if any cheaper than a DI, WOZ, or Hobbit.

I have an AS premium I got not too long before my DI, but I am slightly disappointed in the code and really hope they do another update. The "smart button" on the lock down bar only is used to launch the ball, which I don't use because it launches the ball into the pop bumpers and goes out of control and it selects the songs, it doesn't do anything cool like a smart bomb or whatever like B/W used to incorporate into their games or the button on AC/DC giving you credit for a shot.

I was playing a game on ball 3, trying to figure out what my strategy would be for that ball, held in the buttons for a status report and there no status, just showed the high scores. One time I selected Rats In The Cellar for my song, it played the song, but had Dude Looks Like Lady video on the LCD. Others have seen this also. Like I said, I like the game and hope they do an update, but I'm a little nervous with their reputation and history there might not be much or anything as far as code update for AS, we'll see I guess.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

The "smart button" on the lock down bar doesn't do anything cool like a smart bomb or whatever like B/W used to incorporate into their games or the button on AC/DC giving you credit for a shot.

Not entirely true. Aero has a "smart missle" mystery award.

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not entirely true. Aero has a "smart missle" mystery award.

I don't think I have received that mystery award yet, but I will keep an eye out for it, thanks for the heads up!

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Not trying to stir the pot, but I don't see how you can't be disappointed in Stern's code.

Oh, I am upset by the state of Stern code. I'm not upset by the lack of depth, I'm upset by the lack of completeness. I can deal with basic code, but unfinished or buggy code really stinks. Simple can be fun, but incomplete is aggravating.

#167 6 years ago

I'm a stern fan; I think their rules are great for the most part and very deep and rewarding. But they still lack code commitment in fixing bugs (I'm looking at you GOT). One thing seems for sure, if there are bugs in a JJP game, you better believe they'll get them fixed.

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Oh, I am upset by the state of Stern code. I'm not upset by the lack of depth, I'm upset by the lack of completeness. I can deal with basic code, but unfinished or buggy code really stinks. Simple can be fun, but incomplete is aggravating.

I agree for the most part, buggy/unfinished code sucks and basic can be fun, but when I think of basic I think of the classic dmd games where you can see most everything on one good game such as MB, TOTAN, WH20, Playboy, etc. For me, I take those games at face value, they were made 20+ years ago, they were made for route where players didn't need deep code because these weren't in their homes much back then, you played them, got to know them if you got bored either a new game was released soon or you went down the street to another venue and put your next 50 cents in a different game, but now we pay $5k-$10k+ for machines that mainly reside in homes and I think they do need to have more in depth code to keep us interested more than what was the norm in the 90s. But like you said incomplete is aggravating, disappointing and makes you not enjoy the game as much and not play it hoping for a new code release someday.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sean stopped in over lunch. Setting is now at -130 for Theater. Please stop in to play and let us know if you experience more SDTM drains. It seems to be good now.

The magnet works great now! Thanks Hilton and Sean! Managed to put up my best score yet. 845k. High scores are still low considering it's been on route for 3+ weeks.

IMG_20170712_165024097 (resized).jpgIMG_20170712_165024097 (resized).jpg

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I agree with everything said here.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The magnet works great now! Thanks Hilton and Sean! Managed to put up my best score yet. 845k. High scores are still low considering it's been on route for 3+ weeks.

Awesome Mike! Hey, if you live in Southern California, AYCE Gogi has one to play. Come check it out. Game feels great.

52159937290__FF09B994-4D88-41A6-8DEC-B00D5B216E44 (resized).JPG52159937290__FF09B994-4D88-41A6-8DEC-B00D5B216E44 (resized).JPG

#172 6 years ago

Played DI at Tilt in Minneapolis tonight. Solid pin, has "that feel" as posted earlier in the thread. First time seeing it in over a week and still had a wow factor like the first time I played it.

Code looked good, had a chance to see some experienced folks play and was impressed by the level of immersion. The cell phone and theatre animations are awesome, backglass animations were clean; can't wait to actually hear the game as it was way too loud to get a good sense of what was going on.

Can't wait to get mine home.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Play KISS sometime. Feels finished to me. Not sure what people are expecting.

I'd be fine with just a bugfix release. There are quite a few bugs in 1.28 still. But yeah, the game is fine code-wise. Rock City is pretty bare, but most other aspects are fleshed out pretty well.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I don't think I have received that mystery award yet, but I will keep an eye out for it, thanks for the heads up!

When lit, the button also cashes in coins like Iron Bank in GoT.

#175 6 years ago

This game is awesome (yes, I played it!)

I played DI for the second time today. While my first time playing it was a brief encounter at a show, this time I probably got about 5 longish games in.

Firstly, as soon as I got on the game I was reminded how smooth it plays, all the shots are like a hot knife through butter. There are a few shots that I really enjoyed. The right ramp is a really surprising shot, it's way over on the right hand side of the playfield, where the right orbit usually is. In fact, I was confused at first when the game was telling me to "shoot the right ramp" because I mistakenly thought the right ramp shot was an orbit shot. When you hit that shot the ball is miraculously lifted up on a low habitrail and is transported rapidly to the right flipper. The "side ramp" shot is also great, I usually have trouble with upper flipper ramp shots but this one just feels right. I also really like the skill shot, sometimes the ball drops in and sometimes, if you didn't get it quite right, it bumps around and ends up in the pops. All the shots feel so solid and tuned, it's fun just trying to work out where they all are on the flippers and hitting shots without even trying to complete anything.

I had a great time charging the phone and playing the various modes. The scoop shot to start the mode is cool, I especially liked "backhanding" it from the right flipper. It's really easy to follow the objectives of each mode. You can look up at the bottom of the LCD screen for clear instructions, follow the various multicoloured arrows or just listen to the callouts which keep reminding you what you need to shoot.

One thing which I appreciated more this time around are some of the little details which make up the game. Hitting the spider targets will cause a spider to drop down into the theatre where it can be shot for points. Hitting the drone target on the far right hand side of the playfield causes a drone to drop a crate into the theatre which can be shot for mystery awards. Both these things seemed really intuitive, once I did them the first time by accident, I knew exactly what I had to do to get the award. There are so many little things like this in the game that I have yet to explore fully.

This machine is very addictive. I am now going to study the rule sheet which was posted on here somewhere so I am ready next time I have the opportunity to play.

A really great game, kudos to JJP!

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When lit, the button also cashes in coins like Iron Bank in GoT.

Is there any other way to light the button other than the mystery award? I am pretty dang sure I never got it as a mystery award because I would have thought to myself "hey this button is lit/flashing when normally it is not, I'm going to push and see what happens" That's cool that it cashes in coins.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

This game is awesome (yes, I played it!)
I played DI for the second time today. While my first time playing it was a brief encounter at a show, this time I probably got about 5 longish games in.
Firstly, as soon as I got on the game I was reminded how smooth it plays, all the shots are like a hot knife through butter. There are a few shots that I really enjoyed. The right ramp is a really surprising shot, it's way over on the right hand side of the playfield, where the right orbit usually is. In fact, I was confused at first when the game was telling me to "shoot the right ramp" because I mistakenly thought the right ramp shot was an orbit shot. When you hit that shot the ball is miraculously lifted up on a low habitrail and is transported rapidly to the right flipper. The "side ramp" shot is also great, I usually have trouble with upper flipper ramp shots but this one just feels right. I also really like the skill shot, sometimes the ball drops in and sometimes, if you didn't get it quite right, it bumps around and ends up in the pops. All the shots feel so solid and tuned, it's fun just trying to work out where they all are on the flippers and hitting shots without even trying to complete anything.
I had a great time charging the phone and playing the various modes. The scoop shot to start the mode is cool, I especially liked "backhanding" it from the right flipper. It's really easy to follow the objectives of each mode. You can look up at the bottom of the LCD screen for clear instructions, follow the various multicoloured arrows or just listen to the callouts which keep reminding you what you need to shoot.
One thing which I appreciated more this time around are some of the little details which make up the game. Hitting the spider targets will cause a spider to drop down into the theatre where it can be shot for points. Hitting the drone target on the far right hand side of the playfield causes a drone to drop a crate into the theatre which can be shot for mystery awards. Both these things seemed really intuitive, once I did them the first time by accident, I knew exactly what I had to do to get the award. There are so many little things like this in the game that I have yet to explore fully.
This machine is very addictive. I am now going to study the rule sheet which was posted on here somewhere so I am ready next time I have the opportunity to play.
A really great game, kudos to JJP!

Great summary, pretty much how I feel about the game also. Don't forget while in a mode you can also look at the phone to see what shot to hit next, although I mainly listen to the callouts. The rulesheet is located in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-rulesheet#post-3851000 Make sure you click on the image further down the page because the one at the top is the first version and doesn't have the updates like the one does later in the thread.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Is there any other way to light the button other than the mystery award? I am pretty dang sure I never got it as a mystery award because I would have thought to myself "hey this button is lit/flashing when normally it is not, I'm going to push and see what happens" That's cool that it cashes in coins.

I honestly don't know how I collected the coins (in Aerosmith - this is getting off-topic) to cash in. I know it usually happened during Last Child and was NOT a mystery award (unlike Smart Missile).

#179 6 years ago

My biggest complaint about Dialed In is that it's lacking the spunky showmanship of Lawlor's best games, particularly in multiball, where it's very unclear as to what the multiball "is" (e.g., running around the funhouse after midnight, chasing the whirlwind, opening the TZ door). Lawlor's always had a great sense of buildup to the multiball, but it kinda just happens in DI. I think the concept is that you're being attacked by D.I.E., which is fun, but it'd be neat to see that emphasized in some fashion.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

My biggest complaint about Dialed In is that it's lacking the spunky showmanship of Lawlor's best games, particularly in multiball, where it's very unclear as to what the multiball "is" (e.g., running around the funhouse after midnight, chasing the whirlwind, opening the TZ door). Lawlor's always had a great sense of buildup to the multiball, but it kinda just happens in DI. I think the concept is that you're being attacked by D.I.E., which is fun, but it'd be neat to see that emphasized in some fashion.

That is kind of a good point I hadn't thought of.

I mean, you lock balls "in the train station" and when multiball starts it's all train themed.

And then I guess they just drop that? The under attack stuff is cool and easy to understand but would make more sense if the impending attack was part of the build up (Like AFM for instance)

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I would assume that this kind of detail will be sussed out as time rolls on. I know Jack doesn't want to do foerever updates forever, but there's still a smidge of work to do on Dialed In to brink it up to WoZ immersiveness. Given the initial great reception I believe it will get a bit more development to polish out any burrs.

#182 6 years ago

Oh yeah, I can't imagine this is all stuff that wouldn't be added to (see how different TH is now from a year ago). It's just what I hope for the most.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That is kind of a good point I hadn't thought of.
I mean, you lock balls "in the train station" and when multiball starts it's all train themed.
And then I guess they just drop that? The under attack stuff is cool and easy to understand but would make more sense if the impending attack was part of the build up (Like AFM for instance)

Even just adding some oomph to the jackpots would help, TAF's multiball is kind of vague as well but it's a momentous occasion via the presentation (I've probably played it a thousand times and it still makes my hair stand up).

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Good point.

While I do like the game and code at launch, it really needs more narrative or showmanship as you put it.

#184 6 years ago

If there is one thing JJP games lack it's excellent jackpot / super jackpot callouts. They're all a little lackluster on all three games.

#185 6 years ago

With all love this game is getting, code updates will be happening for sure. WOZ getting code updates 3 years later. That's fantastic. Just enjoy this masterpiece, new code is coming. You didn't buy a Stern so be patient.

#186 6 years ago

I finally played a jjp game I really liked. DI is awesome. Aside from a few of gimmicks (selfies,lottery ticket) the game plays great and is packed with features. Lots of rules and modes I haven't learned yet.
Location game for me as I'm not paying $8k for a game.

#187 6 years ago

Anyone know of a DI on route in the Denver area (other than the two evidently preproduction games OP discussed)?

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

With all love this game is getting, code updates will be happening for sure. WOZ getting code updates 3 years later. That's fantastic. Just enjoy this masterpiece, new code is coming. You didn't buy a Stern so be patient.

woz getting updates 4yrs later!

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

All this talk about projected future code updates, you're starting to sound like a stern supporter
Sounds like jjp is going to start pushing out games faster than woz, so getting 3 years of DI updates is a bit optimistic. Plus, didn't jack say code is complete for DI?

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

All this talk about projected future code updates, you're starting to sound like a stern supporter
Sounds like jjp is going to start pushing out games faster than woz, so getting 3 years of DI updates is a bit optimistic. Plus, didn't jack say code is complete for DI?

Two more games down the line and WoZ is still getting updates and attention.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Two more games down the line and WoZ is still getting updates and attention.

WOZ will get at least one more release to fix a couple bugs.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Anyone know of a DI on route in the Denver area (other than the two evidently preproduction games OP discussed)?

one has been shipped to Pinball Jones. it should get there this coming week sometime. it is a standard edition game. I also have a limited edition go to Lyons, but i am not sure when they will be getting that one.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

one has been shipped to Pinball Jones. it should get there this coming week sometime. it is a standard edition game. I also have a limited edition go to Lyons, but i am not sure when they will be getting that one.

Thanks! Looking forward to checking it out.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

He said that for Hobbit in October. Now they just released 2.0. Feature complete and "done" are not the same thing. JJP is shipping MUCH more finished games than Stern, but they keep going post release.

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

WOZ will get at least one more release to fix a couple bugs.

Hopefully the lockup bug will finally be fixed.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

He said that for Hobbit in October. Now they just released 2.0. Feature complete and "done" are not the same thing. JJP is shipping MUCH more finished games than Stern, but they keep going post release.

I know. I was poking fun. I hear it all the time in the NIB world, 'game is really good and will be great when code is finished.' It really seems like code is never finished to be honest. I'd like to say buy when you're happy with the current code state so you can't complain, unfortunately it sometimes takes 100+ games to realize code is sometimes an issue.

As for dialed in. Can't wait to play it and SW which I plan to in the next couple weeks. Those 2 pins + AC/DC + AFMr are on my list for next pin, but I'm leaning towards DI or SW based on everything I've seen and heard so far. I'm happy location pinball is starting to boom, just wish it would boom a little closer than 2 hours away for me

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Ryan will have one at Press Play in Boulder next week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-dialed-in/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.