View topic image gallery

52159937290__FF09B994-4D88-41A6-8DEC-B00D5B216E44 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170712_165024097 (resized).jpg
IMG_6630 (resized).JPG
IMG_6629 (resized).JPG
IMG_8634 (resized).JPG
IMG_6487 (resized).JPG
hqdefault (resized).jpg
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Most players wont see eaither of these modes, especially showdown.....

True. Though Armagaddon isn't really that tough, you could literally start modes and time them out if you just want to see them. Showdown...good luck.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This game is awesome.
Here's a score I just got at lunch, 3 ball with one EB (max EB is 1 on this game, much better since changed from unlimited).
Showdown wizard mode after completing 8 modes and cashing in 8 SIM cards, hit theater to start SHOWDOWN. Sick multiball wiz mode got well over 2 million. Amazing buildup worthy of the old school lawlor wiz modes - really cool intro. The wiz mode is kinda like LITZ but it's a LOOOOOONNG ball save. Tons of points.
The "jr." wiz mode, armaggadon, is nowhere near as awesome or lucrative (worth a few hundred thousand vs. a few million).

Love to hear about the mode build up. I've missed that stuff lately. Just the intro stuff. Thanks for the review.

Brian

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This game is awesome.
Here's a score I just got at lunch, 3 ball with one EB (max EB is 1 on this game, much better since changed from unlimited).
Showdown wizard mode after completing 8 modes and cashing in 8 SIM cards, hit theater to start SHOWDOWN. Sick multiball wiz mode got well over 2 million. Amazing buildup worthy of the old school lawlor wiz modes - really cool intro. The wiz mode is kinda like LITZ but it's a LOOOOOONNG ball save. Tons of points.
The "jr." wiz mode, armaggadon, is nowhere near as awesome or lucrative (worth a few hundred thousand vs. a few million).

WOW. There are some people that will have this pin in their homes for a year and not sniff that score in aggregate.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Love to hear about the mode build up. I've missed that stuff lately. Just the intro stuff. Thanks for the review.
Brian

I don't know dude...game goes dark...huge explosion and shockwaves on the screen that run through the city...it was pretty cool. Whole buildup was 15 seconds or so like the old days.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really no idea. I've only seen:
Armaggadon (start all modes, don't need to finish)
Showdown - complete 8 modes and sim cards
In this monster game I didn't get Armaggadon, I think I was still a mode or two short when I lost my last ball. Since I needed to get back to work it was just as well!
Almost everything is stackable except during a regular multiball. You can use the accessory multiballs to light regular MB locks, charge the phone, start and play through modes. I keep hearing depth vs. breadth and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but this has more of an old school W/B feel to it but expanded than it feels like a complicated Stern ruleset like GOT. Dialed in is deep but it's also very intuitive. I'm not a rule card or ipdb rule sheet kind of guy and I was very quick to pick up on the rules.

When I think of depth, I think of how deep down the rabbit hole can I go. There might not be many avenues to explore on my journey but it has some rewarding features as I dig further and further. Depth tends to be harder to complete games and more story driven.

Breadth is more like the rabbit hole doesn't go too far into the ground but there's lots of different ways to get to the end. Breadth is usually easier to progress through the game and/or has lots of stacking abilities, with different scenarios or stacks that occur each time you play.

WOZ & TWD are good example of both breadth and depth

Hobbit: depth
LOTR: both, but more depth
MB: breadth
GOT: breadth
STLE: depth
SM: both, but more breadth
TRON: breadth
TF: depth
AC/DC: breadth
IM: breadth despite DODMB only being achievable by one man in the universe

I'm sure some of this is debatable but just trying to give an idea.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Brian

mode start at 22:29

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know dude...game goes dark...huge explosion and shockwaves on the screen that run through the city...it was pretty cool. Whole buildup was 15 seconds or so like the old days.

So the phone upgrade prior to Showdown is 9.2. A reference to Addams release in 1992? There are TONS of Lawlor references and callbacks in this game.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How many wizard modes in the game? Just the 2? How long does it take to get to Armageddon and then Showdown? How's the game progression, stacking vs linear > breadth vs depth?
Thanks in advance, just curious as I haven't played (can't wait to find one to play), and can't make sense of the rules on the stream except hit lightning bolt dude then phone then play a mode and lock balls.

I spent many hours playing DI last weekend at pinball done quick.
My best time to Armageddon was 12 minutes and some change. Someone else might have done it faster.
My best timed showdown victory was 27 minutes and some seconds. I think that Joe Said did it faster.

That sim card shot was giving me lots of trouble.

Such a fun game.

Best score for event was 11M.

8M and showdown before Armageddon on one EB is impressive.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

I spent many hours playing DI last weekend at pinball done quick.
My best time to Armageddon was 12 minutes and some change. Someone else might have done it faster.
My best timed showdown victory was 27 minutes and some seconds. I think that Joe Said did it faster.
That sim card shot was giving me lots of trouble.
Such a fun game.
Best score for event was 11M.
8M and showdown before Armageddon on one EB is impressive.

What happens after Armageddon? Are you chasing SIM cards? Do the modes all reset and you play them again? Or do you play the unfinished modes again? One thing magical that Keefer and Lyman do so well in most their games is avoid repeating a mode. The game looks very intriguing. Unless someone close to me gets a DI, it'll be awhile before I get good time on one as the two best location pinball places near me are 2 hours and 3 hours away and I'm not about to sell one of my pins, then add $4k on top to try out a DI quite yet I'm just not the target demographic for these $8k+ pins. I'll stick to stern pros until I feel the WOW

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What happens after Armageddon? Are you chasing SIM cards? Do the modes all reset and you play them again? Or do you play the unfinished modes again? One thing magical that Keefer and Lyman do so well in most their games is avoid repeating a mode. The game looks very intriguing. Unless someone close to me gets a DI, it'll be awhile before I get good time on one as the two best location pinball places near me are 2 hours and 3 hours away and I'm not about to sell one of my pins, then add $4k on top to try out a DI quite yet I'm just not the target demographic for these $8k+ pins. I'll stick to stern pros until I feel the WOW

After Armageddon it seemed like the modes reset.

Also it seemed like the multiplier maxed at 9.
I think I got more sim cards after showdown, but it stayed at 9x. I'm not 100% positive about this.

#111 6 years ago

Seems fairly shallow if a ton of people are already obtaining the wizard modes? Or no? Shoots great just feel the code as it stands does not use the playfield shots that good lots of modes are hit one shot it seems. Which stinks cause it has one of the coolest playfield layouts ever

#112 6 years ago

Wow what a cool wizard mode.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Seems fairly shallow if a ton of people are already obtaining the wizard modes? Or no? Shoots great just feel the code as it stands does not use the playfield shots that good lots of modes are hit one shot it seems. Which stinks cause it has one of the coolest playfield layouts ever

Lol a few really really good players have gotten to the end not a ton. The average player wont see showdown and many wont see Armageddon from what i have seen. The game is plenty deep with lots to do to keep the average person very happy for a long time. Not every game needs to be impossible like lotr, tspp, woz bc whats the point if u never see haf the game. Plus we dont know how some of these games are set up . Ive played a few di and just little changes made a world of difference in ball times.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Pretty sure you shuold not use a few VERY good players as your benchmark D. Nobody has come even close on our route machine yet and there are lots of top 500 players on it each week.

Initial code was giving out EB like candy so people were playing 7, 8, 9 balls on a single game.

#115 6 years ago

I had a chance to play DI and TBL yesterday... DI definitely feels like a PL game, loaded with all kinds of Lawlor trademarks. It's like the next step of RS with TAF thrown in. Looks like it has lots of potential. It feels a tad crowded... but I'd imagine some good home use time would straighten that feeling out. Call outs for special moments (such as Jackpot) are just flat, lifeless, and monotone - buzz kill. Hopefully JJP will change them. Would help to make the game play build to more excitement.

I thought TBL shot better (more smoothly) and felt like the more polished physical design. Way nicer than the game Cointaker has been toting around to shows.

Can't compare the code because I only played about 10 games on both... but, left with good impressions and (surprising to me) liked TBL more.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure you shuold not use a few VERY good players as your benchmark D. Nobody has come even close on our route machine yet and there are lots of top 500 players on it each week.
Initial code was giving out EB like candy so people were playing 7, 8, 9 balls on a single game.

I was talking about levi lol. Hes really good.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

It's a hell of a lot deeper than Aerosmith which you love, right?

Not sure what people even want out of code anymore, and I'm not sure those people do either.

Relax D. It took me about a month of playing this game 5 days a week to get to Showdown. There a plenty of games that most players will NEVER see the end of, like TSPP or LOTR. This game is way more fun than those games.

Quoted from bigd1979:

I was talking about levi lol. Hes really good.

Thanks bro! Must have been all that Maryland water I drank growing up...

Quoted from Whysnow:

Correct - our was giving out EBs way too easy - my previous high score of around 6 million was achieved with a 6-ball game. Was kind of silly. Now the game is set for one EB max.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

During the PDQ stream Berz went through the audits on the machine and there's another multiball called "Onslaught" that they never managed to reach. Not sure how it is started but the most logical answer would be completing all of the modes so the zones on the map all turn red. There were some really good players at that event so plenty of depth even for the best players imho.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from aaronhicksuk:

During the PDQ stream Berz went through the audits on the machine and there's another multiball called "Onslaught" that they never managed to reach. Not sure how it is started but the most logical answer would be completing all of the modes so the zones on the map all turn red. There were some really good players at that event so plenty of depth even for the best players imho.

I figured there was another mini wizard/wizard mode. Super awesome with so much code.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

And outlanes were also opened all the way up on Hilton's machine which really cuts down on ball times. I think Dialed In on factory settings is way too easy but if you turn down the extra balls and open up the outlanes it is actually pretty brutal! I haven't even been able to crack a million yet and I had scores over 2.5 million when we had those test machines back in April for a few days.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And outlanes were also opened all the way up on Hilton's machine which really cuts down on ball times. I think Dialed In on factory settings is way too easy but if you turn down the extra balls and open up the outlanes it is actually pretty brutal! I haven't even been able to crack a million yet and I had scores over 2.5 million when we had those test machines back in April for a few days.

I'd love to know what the setup was at Silverball in Asbury. It was pretty brutal and lost a lot of balls to the outlanes. I was not getting a lot of extra balls either.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I received 3 the other night and by the third I just laughed. Everything is set to factory defaults so I think I will make some adjustments shortly.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

I'd love to know what the setup was at Silverball in Asbury. It was pretty brutal and lost a lot of balls to the outlanes. I was not getting a lot of extra balls either.

I hope anyone putting this game on route is modifying settings and moving posts to make it more difficult otherwise it's not going to earn well due to free games, extra balls and long ball-times. I think these games are shipped out with the "novice home buyer" in mind. Not necessarily a bad thing as route operators and skilled home buyers will know better how to adjust settings to make it more difficult.

#124 6 years ago

I love games that either have lots of attainable wizard modes with different ways to play; i.e. GOT. Or deeper games that still have wizard modes a hair out of reach but still attainable; i.e. TWD, SM, Sounds like DI is the latter which is a good thing IMO. I hate games that take forever to play and you still might not reach its wizard mode or even progress very far and the goals to achieve are so far fetched it'll take 5 years before it happens; i.e. STLE or LOTR or avengers.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

is ours still giving out EBs like candy? I have not been over for a while

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

is ours still giving out EBs like candy? I have not been over for a while

Not at all. I don't think I've gotten more than 2 extra balls in a game.-1 is pretty typical. I think it is set for only 1 score threshold EB.

I still remember when you guys first put out that test DI game a few months back and you texted me the next morning asking if something was wrong with the game because it was played all night despite only having a few dollars in the cashbox.-Default settings was the culprit. lol...

On a side note, I saw in another thread someone suggesting changing the magnet settings (upping it as high as 100) to help with the problem with the theater dropping it SDTM.-i think it pulls it around instead? May want to give that a try as that is the most frustrating issue with how the game is setup.-I avoid the theater shot because of it which is needed in most of the modes.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Not at all. I don't think I've gotten more than 2 extra balls in a game.-1 is pretty typical. I think it is set for only 1 score threshold EB.
I still remember when you guys first put out that test DI game a few months back and you texted me the next morning asking if something was wrong with the game because it was played all night despite only having a few dollars in the cashbox.-Default settings was the culprit. lol...
On a side note, I saw in another thread someone suggesting changing the magnet settings (upping it as high as 100) to help with the problem with the theater dropping it SDTM.-i think it pulls it around instead? May want to give that a try as that is the most frustrating issue with how the game is setup.-I avoid the theater shot because of it which is needed in most of the modes.

Sean has been steadily tweaking that. I will text him now so he knows.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sean has been steadily tweaking that. I will text him now so he knows.

Thanks. I haven't stopped to play it for about a week and a half so it's possible he could have fixed it.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks. I haven't stopped to play it for about a week and a half so it's possible he could have fixed it.

he plans to hopefully stop in over lunch to further tweak

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I had a chance to play DI and TBL yesterday... DI definitely feels like a PL game, loaded with all kinds of Lawlor trademarks. It's like the next step of RS with TAF thrown in. Looks like it has lots of potential. It feels a tad crowded... but I'd imagine some good home use time would straighten that feeling out. Call outs for special moments (such as Jackpot) are just flat, lifeless, and monotone - buzz kill. Hopefully JJP will change them. Would help to make the game play build to more excitement.
I thought TBL shot better (more smoothly) and felt like the more polished physical design. Way nicer than the game Cointaker has been toting around to shows.
Can't compare the code because I only played about 10 games on both... but, left with good impressions and (surprising to me) liked TBL more.

Yup, listening to the game, was stunned to hear how dull the jackpot call outs are - it's like someone fell asleep.

Compare to AFM - ' SUPER JACKPOT BABYYYYYYYYYY'!!

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yup, listening to the game, was stunned to hear how dull the jackpot call outs are - it's like someone fell asleep.
Compare to AFM - ' SUPER JACKPOT BABYYYYYYYYYY'!!

I'm sure code updates may fix or change a few things.

#132 6 years ago

Played several games on it last night and didn't care for it. Definitely doesn't have that one more game feel and honestly don't have the desire to give it another try...what am I missing?

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Played several games on it last night and didn't care for it. Definitely doesn't have that one more game feel and honestly don't have the desire to give it another try...what am I missing?

You aren't missing anything. Sounds like you don't enjoy the game. That's allowed.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I always laugh at comments like this. IM is one of the shallowest games ever. It's awesome. I'm not saying DI is shallow (it's not), but if it gets easy open the outlanes and try again. I can make LOTR have very short ball times.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Probably just doesn't click for you. That's cool, it happens. But what specifically didn't you like? That sort of helps to understand things.

Quoted from musketd:

Shoots great just feel the code as it stands does not use the playfield shots that good lots of modes are hit one shot it seems. Which stinks cause it has one of the coolest playfield layouts ever

What are you talking about here, exactly? The modes use the entire playfield. Some modes use some shots, some modes shoot others. The entire playfield is put to use. If you didn't see that, I don't know how to help you. That's a really odd observation.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Seems fairly shallow if a ton of people are already obtaining the wizard modes?

I finished Aerosmith (premium) on total factory settings in under 25 games for sure. Possibly under 20 games, I wasn't keeping super-close count. As CrazyLevi said, it took him (a pretty accomplished player) a fair amount more to be done with DI. I wouldn't be very worried about it if you're not setting your games up on powderpuff mode.

I daresay there's a lot more in DI too, especially that you haven't already played in a half dozen previous games.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I finished Aerosmith (premium) on total factory settings in under 25 games for sure. Possibly under 20 games, I wasn't keeping super-close count. As crazylevi said, it took him (a pretty accomplished player) a fair amount more to be done with DI. I wouldn't be very worried about it if you're not setting your games up on powderpuff mode.
I daresay there's a lot more in DI too, especially that you haven't already played in a half dozen previous games.

Nothing wrong with beating a game early on. Like Keefer said, take it off powder puff mode and there's probably more to discover strategically than just B-lining for the wizard modes.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I finished Aerosmith (premium) on total factory settings in under 25 games for sure. Possibly under 20 games, I wasn't keeping super-close count. As crazylevi said, it took him (a pretty accomplished player) a fair amount more to be done with DI. I wouldn't be very worried about it if you're not setting your games up on powderpuff mode.

I'll have to give it some more time just doesn't seem to have near the depth that hobbit has in it

#139 6 years ago

And you've got your "wizard modes" vs "sub wizard modes" etc etc.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I'll have to give it some more time just doesn't seem to have near the depth that hobbit has in it

Hobbit didn't start out with super deep code, it grew into it (and wow did it grow into it). I'm sure Keith has more plans for DI in the coming months.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Sean stopped in over lunch. Setting is now at -130 for Theater. Please stop in to play and let us know if you experience more SDTM drains. It seems to be good now.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nothing wrong with beating a game early on. Like Keefer said, take it off powder puff mode and there's probably more to discover strategically than just B-lining for the wizard modes.

What's "powder puff" mode?

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sean stopped in over lunch. Setting is now at -130 for Theater. Please stop in to play and let us know if you experience more SDTM drains. It seems to be good now.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response! Looks like I'll have to stop in after work for a few quick games

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Not every game will be a hit for everyone. I don't like GB and I don't like SW. It happens.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You aren't missing anything. Sounds like you don't enjoy the game. That's allowed.

Its 100% is allowed.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

That's because it doesn't.-and thankfully so! I love Keefer's rulesets but I don't think every JJP game needs to have super deep rules that require a marathon game to complete. Variety is the spice of life.

I'm pretty sure this is also due to Ted Estes being the chief rules programmer on DI as opposed to Keefer. To me the rules seem like a really well done 90's WPC rule-set with some stacking and modern elements brought in.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hobbit didn't start out with super deep code, it grew into it (and wow did it grow into it). I'm sure Keith has more plans for DI in the coming months.

I'm hoping more code and depth will be coming down the road for DI, although I think it is pretty good as is. I thought I read somewhere that DI shipped with finished code and only bug updates would be released. Was this incorrect or does anyone know any other info?

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I thought I read somewhere that DI shipped with finished code and only bug updates would be released.

Jack said in his interview with K that the code was complete. What I took that to mean is everything works. I didn't take it to mean it's finished and there will be no more updates.

Perhaps I'm distinguishing between complete and finished needlessly though.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Jack said in his interview with K that the code was complete. What I took that to mean is everything works. I didn't take it to mean it's finished and there will be no more updates.

The game seems 99% complete to me. My guess is just bugfixes, scoring tweaks, and maybe a little polish (extra callouts), etc... As far as modes and the structure of the rules (wizard modes, etc.) it doesn't seem like anything is missing.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Right. I took it as the game being playable from beginning to end. All current modes complete. That didn't mean it can't be expanded to include more over time.

#150 6 years ago

The DI code seems finished to me, and I haven't noticed any bugs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 22.50
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-dialed-in/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.