(Topic ID: 91105)

My resistors are burnin'!! (Silver Slugger Issue)

By tjprice222

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Photo May 16, 5 28 29 PM.jpg
2013-11-18 09.19.56.jpg
Photo May 15, 9 30 00 PM.jpg
2013-11-18 09.20.05.jpg
Photo May 15, 8 02 56 PM.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I'm finally back to working on my Silver Slugger project (Gottlieb System 3) and I'm stuck. Game powers on and starts a game and everything appears to play fine but after several minutes of being powered on, a few resistors on the resistor board below the pf start smokin'.

I picked up the manual and it looks like the pop bumpers run through the six resistors on this particular board but none of them appear to be locked on or anything. In fact, two of them work fine in test mode and one is non-responsive. I assume that one is the culprit but I'm not sure where to go from here. Can anyone give me some guidance? I have a few images of the board and segments from the manual that might help.

2013-11-18 09.20.05.jpg2013-11-18 09.20.05.jpg Photo May 15, 8 02 56 PM.jpgPhoto May 15, 8 02 56 PM.jpg Photo May 15, 9 30 00 PM.jpgPhoto May 15, 9 30 00 PM.jpg 2013-11-18 09.19.56.jpg2013-11-18 09.19.56.jpg
#2 9 years ago

I don't have a ring color chart in front of me, but one of your resistors is different.

#3 9 years ago

Good eye, Paragon!! I should have clarified-I purchased a fresh board and installed 6 new resistors of the specified value from the manual and even after a minute or two of operation, they get ridiculously hot to the touch. I keep a close eye on them to avoid another crispy board. I think I've ruled out the resistors and the board as being the cause.

#4 9 years ago

Besides the one being different, the rest don't look right either. I think the bands on a 33 ohm res. should be orange-orange-black, and then gold for 5%.

#5 9 years ago

I agree, Wolf and thanks for your comment. Here is the new board I purchased with new 5W 33ohm 5% resistors I got from Mouser. I popped this in last night and had the same issue...within 2 minutes these resistors felt like they were going to catch fire. Maybe I'm way off, but could this be an issue stemming from the main board or the playfield? I guess it wouldn't be impossible for the manual to be incorrect either.

Photo May 16, 5 28 29 PM.jpgPhoto May 16, 5 28 29 PM.jpg
#6 9 years ago

Not being terribly familiar with gotts circuitry it's really hard for me to say that's not normal, or you have a problem elsewhere. I find it hard for the manual to be wrong in two different places and the mouser board to boot.

#7 9 years ago

Those resistors are supposed to get hot. They are ceramic coated, which means they are to dissipate heat.

Put the new board in and forget about it.

1 month later
#8 9 years ago

Just for future reference if anyone else runs into this:

This resistor board controls the lights in the pop bumpers, not the actual pop bumpers. In fact, the pop bumper lights in this game are solenoid controlled which I think seems rather odd.

3 years later
#9 6 years ago

The pop bumpers are controlled from the solenoid board so they can act like a flasher when they are hit by the pinball. All of the flashers on the game are controlled from the solenoid board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Apparel - Women
Pinball Wheezer
Women
$ 325.00
Playfields
Trident Pinball Homebrew
Playfields
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-resistors-are-burnin-silver-slugger-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.