(Topic ID: 20020)

My Recent Vist to " HEP " Chris Hutchins High End Pins, Thanks Chris !

By ctozzi

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 216 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jayhawkai
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gropu_hug.jpg
    DWW_005.jpg
    photo(2).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    photo.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ctozzi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

This past weekend I attended a wedding in Boone North Carolina with my wife and friends. I was told by my buddy and fellow high end restorer Jim(Honda350r) that High End Pins, Christopher Hutchins shop was in Matthews North Carolina. So I called Chris and he said come on by I'll show you around my shops. So yesterday on the way back to Charlotte's airport we made a 25 minute detour to his home and business. I must say the operation and scope of his business is 2nd to none. 1st at his home he has 3 different external houses behind his main home where many phases of a restore can begin or finish, his garage is yet another pimped out workshop with over 25 in the works playfields, and a plasma screen hanging on the wall. Just at his home I counted 15-18 pins. We then took a 5 minute car ride over to his dedicated shop where he had upwards of another 40-50 pins ready to start their restore's. I didn't snap as many photos as i wanted since it was Sunday and i didn't want to waste anymore of his family time than needed. I saw alot of games I have never seen before like Hercules which was the biggest pin I have ever seen, as well as 5 MM's ready to start their trip back to better than factory fresh. So here are just a few I snapped with my iPhone. You can see my wife and Chris in the pic with all the MM's as well as a Rocky & Bullwinkle that he fixed after a forklift went directly through the left-hand side. Enjoy, Chris could not have been any nicer or more cordial to me. Thanks Again for taking time on a Sunday to show me around.
    Chris

photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo(1).JPGphoto(1).JPG // Error: Image 34820 not found // photo(3).JPGphoto(3).JPG photo(2).JPGphoto(2).JPG

#5 11 years ago

His shop's where all climate controlled, it was a tad bit warm in the back room with all the pins waiting to be worked on.

#7 11 years ago

krull was in repair, he has so many different projects going

#11 11 years ago

He had so many playfields in various stages or repair I was amazed. His paint building was spotless just like the other facilities.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

ctozzi, did you see my WH20 there?

Sorry I did not he had so many games I didn't want to start poking through things. Funniest thing about him is he doesn't even own 1 pinball machine

#30 11 years ago

The Hercules was so big, he didn't seem to enthused about the restore on that one. The machine took up so much real estate in his shop. He said the shipping alone from Ohio cost $ 1000.00 one way !

#61 11 years ago

I started this post for those to share in my positive experience at Chris's shop. Obviously this has turned into something I didn't expect. Let's stay the course and appreciate those who help this hobby and not make comments to annoy a class act like Chris. If you cannot post positive things here, then please keep your comments and opinions to yourself.

#63 11 years ago

Typical.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I've read your posts and I agree, you were not being nasty to Chris or casting any sort of bad light on what he does. In fact, you were mostly coplimentary. If having an open discussion or debate that is civil and informed (without insulting anyone) is a bad thing, then why are we all here?
    I won't give too much weight to what others may have to say on the matter if they can't see that for themselves, but I will consider Chris' point of view. I think he might see himself as someone who helps others attain a dream rather han someon who panders to the wealthy. Certainly some of those people are rich and motivated by the cache of having a HEP restored pin (we're all dillusional if we dont see that), but there are also people like me that just do okay and might be willing to spend a bit of dough on something we truly love.
    I got Chris to recently quote touching up my MM playfield. I still enjoy restoring things myself and would normally do this on my own... and I think I do a pretty good job. However, this is a pin I want my kids to play as they grow and some of the atwork on this game also requires special skills to repair that I do not possess.
    Chris is someone I would trust to ensure that playfield looks great for years to come. I was surprised to learn that his services were actually pretty reasonable and timely, and I will be sending him my pf very soon.
    Your only real error is in assuming that this hobby is so polarized that there are only the haves and the have-nots. Maybe you feel the elitist collectors are poisoning the hobby, but that's not Chris' fault even if it is true. There is a lot of grey in between and that includes guys like me. I can only speak for myself, but I can tell you that I do not see this hobby as an investment. For some of us, if you love something, you are just willing to pay for it. It's not cold and calculated.
    I'm just glad that HEP and guys like him are around. If private collections are to be the utlimate keepers of this hobby and of a pinball heritage that may eventually fade away, Chris is the ultimate custodian and curator.

Well said drano.

#157 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Woke up....
    Saw this thread exploded overnight....
    Expected It to be more pics of ctozzi's wife....

Hey now ! That's why I married her !

#202 11 years ago

Finally. Thanks Robin

#209 11 years ago

I'm not a restorer of pinballs, it's over my head. I have been restoring arcades for years. I was implying that jim was a buddy of mine, who also restores pins like Chris

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ctozzi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-recent-vist-to-hep-chris-hutchins-high-end-pins-thanks-chris?tu=ctozzi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.