(Topic ID: 27926)

Building out my basement game room...slowly but surely...

By LesManley

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0447.jpg
    IMAG0440.jpg
    pins2.jpg
    pins.jpg
    IMAG0436.jpg
    IMAG0434.jpg
    !gameroom2.jpg
    !gameroom.jpg
    BL_carpet.JPG
    $T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2srK!BQjp,8F0SQ~~60_35.jpg
    IMAG1295.jpg
    IMAG1293.jpg
    IMAG1291.jpg
    IMAG1289.jpg
    IMAG1288.jpg
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!change2.jpg
    There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

Looks great, from a fellow cubist and art lover.

#52 10 years ago

I will be over later tonight to pick up the Midway cabinet you are giving me.

#53 10 years ago

No way...I'm *FINALLY* going to get to use that MK3 cab!

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What size is the game room?

The room with the neon ceiling fan and change machine is about 12x13 and the main room is about 12x36.

#56 10 years ago

Very nice Mr.Manley! If you ever tire of that TRON arcade let me know!

#57 10 years ago

Loving it !!

#58 10 years ago

Very nice colors and carpet, very nice flow.

I used to service those old change validators back in the late 70's early 80's. The sensor that reads across the dollar bill face was originally optical... until people found out they could run photo copies of a $1 and get the change. Then they came out with upgrade kits that replaced the optics with a magnetic tape head that picked up the magnetic ink lines around Washington's bust.

Nice to see one still around in good shape.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

Very nice colors and carpet, very nice flow.
    I used to service those old change validators back in the late 70's early 80's. The sensor that reads across the dollar bill face was originally optical... until people found out they could run photo copies of a $1 and get the change. Then they came out with upgrade kits that replaced the optics with a magnetic tape head that picked up the magnetic ink lines around Washington's bust.
    Nice to see one still around in good shape.

Yeah, she is still kicking and working great. I got it from an op who used to run it but stopped because of the new $5's. I have heard about the photo copy bill trick with these, but I haven't ever tried it.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Yeah, she is still kicking and working great. I got it from an op who used to run it but stopped because of the new $5's. I have heard about the photo copy bill trick with these, but I haven't ever tried it.

JACKPOT!

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

The room with the neon ceiling fan and change machine is about 12x13 and the main room is about 12x36.

12x36, you can put alot a games in there. My game room is small 10x17 with a 10x12 theater on the end of it and a 12x17 room with a 7ft pool table next to the game room. I wish they were all 4ft wider and 4ft longer. Never big enough right.

#62 10 years ago

About half of the 12x36 room is reserved for seating and a big screen. I can still get plenty of games in there though. It will be interesting to see how much/if I have any room left when they are all in there and working.

#63 10 years ago

Wow the basement looks like it came together great. Thanks for putting up the pictures

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

Looks great. Like the carpet,

That pattern is kind of interesting. It is like it ***PUNCHES*** you in the face when you first see the pic but then (5-10 seconds for me) you come to really like it...the colors too!

Nice Game room...jealous over here

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad:

That pattern is kind of interesting. It is like it ***PUNCHES*** you in the face when you first see the pic but then (5-10 seconds for me) you come to really like it...the colors too!
    Nice Game room...jealous over here

Thanks! Yeah, it has a lot going on. It is a 3ft repeated pattern overall. I think it has that much punch cause there isn't anything else in the room yet. When it fills up, it will be a bit more subtle. I really love it though. Everytime I go in there it reminds me of being in a hotel game room. Brings back good memories.

#66 10 years ago

Looks awesome man. Great looking game room.

#67 10 years ago

Looking good John. Good to see the carpet installed.

#68 10 years ago

Wow, great job. Love the carpeting. Looking forward to seeing pics with the games in and on.

#69 10 years ago

Les, Looks awesome, I love the dedicated UMK3, as you probably know me from KLOV and my fascination with the MK stuff.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from ctozzi:

Les, Looks awesome, I love the dedicated UMK3, as you probably know me from KLOV and my fascination with the MK stuff.

i know who has the local net wave

#71 10 years ago

Very nice Les, Superb

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from ctozzi:

Thanks. I would love to have all the dedicated Midway games like some people do. I used to have a dedicated MK4 and KI, but I sold them back when I didn't have room for basically anything. Still have the boards for each of those though, so I can play them in my MK3 and KI2 cabs at least.

#73 10 years ago

Next time you have it open look at the element that scans the middle of the bill after you push the bill drawer shut. If it has a light then it's optical. If the sensor looks similar to the photo then it's magnetic (Your's wouldn't have the tape guide fingers sticking out in front of it). The magnetic upgrades stopped the counterfiting.

$T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2srK!BQjp,8F0SQ~~60_35.jpg$T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2srK!BQjp,8F0SQ~~60_35.jpg

Either version is ***REALLY COOL*** !!!

1 week later
    #74 10 years ago

Love the carpet..looking really nice. excited to see more updates.

#75 10 years ago

Thanks! I am working on it...slowly. Real life is getting in the way. Last weekend was out 11th wedding anniversary and we had a funeral for my wife's 96 year old grandmother that day way up north. Next weekend is my son's 2nd birthday party. Weeknights are almost worthless at this point. Hopefully I can get more done and get some more pics up here soon! I did go down to the gameroom the other day and played a game on STTNG, which is one of the only games that is setup and ready to go at the moment. Ended up putting up over 14 billion and getting 2 Final Frontiers during the game, so if that is a taste of more good things to come, I really want to get things up and running!

#76 10 years ago

Hey Les, I picked up my black light carpet today from the trucking company in Eagan, saved $100 by doing so. The arcade side of the basement is only 10x17 so I decided to go with the wild carpet, it's called "Under the Sea". Had to take a pic. of it off the puter screen, couldn't figure out how to grab their screen shot.

BL_carpet.JPGBL_carpet.JPG

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Les, I picked up my black light carpet today from the trucking company in Eagan, saved $100 by doing so. The arcade side of the basement is only 10x17 so I decided to go with the wild carpet, it's called "Under the Sea". Had to take a pic. of it off the puter screen, couldn't figure out how to grab their screen shot.

Nice, I like it.

#78 10 years ago

In the words of Mark Fidrych (who lived in the apartment above me in the early 80s), "Wow, that's cosmic dude." He and a friend were trying to move a medium sized fridge out of his third floor apartment and both guys were above the fridge, making one hell of a racket banging it down each stair. I showed them that if you lifted the fridge from below, it wouldn't bang and would get down in about 1/3 of the time. That's how I got the memorable quote above. That's what I think of your carpet above.

#79 10 years ago

Very tastefully done Les. Not boring but not outrageous. Exactly what a home game room should look like, IMO.

#80 10 years ago

The change machine is sweet!

#81 10 years ago

Great job - I did a similar room with blacklights:

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/7752-new-sim-rig-soon-to-be-in-new-home-arcade/

Here's the walkthrough

And the Virtuapin review

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=25044&hl=

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from DrEvil:

Great job - I did a similar room with blacklights:
    http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/7752-new-sim-rig-soon-to-be-in-new-home-arcade/
    Here's the walkthrough
    » YouTube video
    And the Virtuapin review
    http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=25044&hl=

That is one slick room. Me like.

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

In the words of Mark Fidrych (who lived in the apartment above me in the early 80s), "Wow, that's cosmic dude." He and a friend were trying to move a medium sized fridge out of his third floor apartment and both guys were above the fridge, making one hell of a racket banging it down each stair. I showed them that if you lifted the fridge from below, it wouldn't bang and would get down in about 1/3 of the time. That's how I got the memorable quote above. That's what I think of your carpet above.

It should "light up" the room pretty good. Reminds me so some of the clubs I used to go to here in the TC's.

3 weeks later
    #84 10 years ago

Pins are finally starting to get into place in the main room. Getting them all working and then gotta hang the fun stuff on the walls. Then got to get more arcade games in the other room and work on getting a sectional and other goodies. Slowly but surely. It's still a mess, but the main thing is that they are able to be played and enjoyed right now even in the state of the game room. Beats the hell out of playing games in the garage or looking at folded up cabinets cause I didn't have room to set them up.

I organized the downstairs garage too to store more stuff and have a better work area. Got the project row of arcade games ready to work on. One of these years these will be fixed and ready to join the others...

!gameroom.jpg!gameroom.jpg !gameroom2.jpg!gameroom2.jpg

#85 10 years ago

Im impressed, so how many pins you plan on moving down there?

#86 10 years ago

Nice work, wont take long to fill up

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from bradloy25:

Im impressed, so how many pins you plan on moving down there?

I can fit 5 in the main room and I already have 5 in the picture. The RCT isn't mine, it is on loan. The other room is going to be for all arcade games, but I currently have 2 pins in there right now too...which are also on loan.

4 months later
    #88 10 years ago

Thought I would add another update. Pin area is pretty well laid out now. I took some time to work on the arcade game room this weekend since it was so cold. Hung some marquees on the overhang, got a couple games in place that were already inside, hung the neon recognizer and the original Tron arcade game flyer. Still coming along. The light at the end of the tunnel is slowly getting closer.

IMAG0434.jpgIMAG0434.jpg IMAG0436.jpgIMAG0436.jpg pins.jpgpins.jpg pins2.jpgpins2.jpg IMAG0440.jpgIMAG0440.jpg IMAG0447.jpgIMAG0447.jpg
    #89 10 years ago

Corner curio cabinet is a cool touch. Thanks for highlighting that. Great reno.

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#90 10 years ago

Awesome job!
    Are you going to keep the Drug Wars around? ALG shooters are awesome.

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from StraX22:

Awesome job!
    Are you going to keep the Drug Wars around? ALG shooters are awesome.

Yes. I have to get it working, but my plan is to have Mad Dog I and II, plus Crime Patrol I and II in that cabinet. I have the laserdiscs for all of them and there is a multi-rom you can buy so you just have to switch the discs.

#92 10 years ago

Looks great Les. Are you coming over the 18th?

#93 10 years ago

That carpet is the S#!T!!! Where did you get it from?

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks great Les. Are you coming over the 18th?

What's on the 18th? I must have missed something.

#95 10 years ago

I got it from Flaghship. It looks like they have redesigned their site since then and I don't see that pattern anymore on it...

http://www.neoncarpet.com/index.blm#carpet-home$cid=8&sub=Nig

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

What's on the 18th? I must have missed something.

Look up my thread "Beer drinking help needed".

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-process-of-finishing-the-basement-for-a-gameroom/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.