image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Popeye_3.jpg
Popeye_1.jpg
Popeye_2.jpg
Popeye10.jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I know many members here like to hate on Bally/Williams 1994 Popeye, but there are also many of us here that really enjoy this game as well. This is my first Pin to own as an adult and I have really made it the best playing and most reliable Popeye that I have seen.

The main point of this thread is to share my various modifications with the forum, I know there will be plenty of "why did you put this much effort into a Popeye", and I understand that view, but to me I wanted this pin to be better then new and bring it to beyond today's standards and I feel like so far I have achieved this goal, and everyone who has played this table seems to really enjoy the experience.

Mods and pictures to follow:
-New Fliptronic board with upgraded components
-New Upgraded Flipper Optoboards
-New Upgraded Ball Trough Optoboards
-CoinTaker Premium LED complete kit and CoinTaker bright white flipper button mods
Popeye0.jpgPopeye0.jpg
-Custom Animal Diverter support post mod
-Custom made Lexan cover for old one:
Popeye7.jpgPopeye7.jpg
-Popeye figure placed on left kicker:

-Bluto figure placed on right kicker:
Popeye2.jpgPopeye2.jpg
-Wimpy attached on Wimpy wire ramp shot:
Popeye3.jpgPopeye3.jpg
-Olive Oyl figure placed on top of Oyl ramp shot:
Popeye4.jpgPopeye4.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Hey, you like what you like. Hurricane was my first pin and everyone hates on that one. Yeah, I already sold it, but was a fun pin to have for a year. Great job on the mods, don't let people sor you on a pin you like.

#3 11 years ago

Looks cool to me. I like pins that the masses tend to shun as well. I love TMNT, love the Flintstones and I'd probably love Popeye. I guess I am a fan of cartoon-inspired pins.

#4 11 years ago

loooooks great!

#5 11 years ago

-Swee' Pea figure mounted above Swee' Pea escalator:
Popeye5.jpgPopeye5.jpg
-Eugene the Jeep mounted inside a life preserver just above the Eugene character on playfield:
Popeye6.jpgPopeye6.jpg
-Upgraded all speaker wire for Infinity speakers:
PopeyeSpeakers1.jpgPopeyeSpeakers1.jpg
-Installing new Infinity speakers:
PopeyeSpeakers.jpgPopeyeSpeakers.jpg
-Infinity speakers installed with external crossovers:
PopeyeSpeakers2.jpgPopeyeSpeakers2.jpg
-New Infinity sub on left, stock sub on right:
PopeyeSub.jpgPopeyeSub.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Custom sealed box installed on bottom of cabinet for ported subwoofer (this works really nicely, without this too many playfield items were shaking, this ports all sub noise and air out the bottom of the machine):
PopeyeSub2.jpgPopeyeSub2.jpg
-Sub and port before securing sealed box ontop:
PopeyeSub3.jpgPopeyeSub3.jpg
-Port and sub seen from below with speaker grill (protector) installed:
PopeyeSub4.jpgPopeyeSub4.jpg
-I was not getting enough low levels through the stock power, so I installed a small amplifier to run the sub and put an inline RCA crossover to clean up the signal to the sub, and wow it can shake the cabinet MORE than a shaker! (speaker level adjustment on left is for main speakers, amp on right is just running sub, you can see the ported black box in background):
PopeyeSub5.jpgPopeyeSub5.jpg
-I built this custom topper to house a figure of Popeye about to eat some Spinach:
Popeye8.jpgPopeye8.jpg
-Topper has general illumination bright white LEDs in it as seen here:
Popeye9.jpgPopeye9.jpg

#7 11 years ago

-I also individually custom wired all 5 playfield flashers up to 5 individually wired flashers in the topper to simultaneously flash along with the matching playfield flasher, they are super bright auto LEDs from V-LEDs:

Popeye10.jpgPopeye10.jpg

#8 11 years ago

That's nice, good job!

#9 11 years ago

Don't let the complainers fool you, there's plenty of love out there for Popeye. This is a game that people love to hate, but it's Ebay average is the same as Johnny Mnemonic. I put it on my guilty pleasures list because while some people love to give it low ratings, other people are happy to spend good money on it.

I'd love to play this game sometime and hear that sound.

#10 11 years ago

I like it. Good thinking with the sound system.

#11 11 years ago

Loved that you used infinity's, especially since I work for Harman. I'll have to show the Higher ups we need to branch out for another market.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Loved that you used infinity's, especially since I work for Harman. I'll have to show the Higher ups we need to branch out for another market.

I have exclusively used Infinity and Harman Kardon speakers for years now. I have 2 pairs of Infinity components in my VehiCross and a digital Infinity amp running my sub in the back door as well. My surround speaker system with sub in my room is Harman Kardon. Great products, and great value.

#13 11 years ago

Awesome! Popeye is actually an incredibly underrated game IMHO.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

I have exclusively used Infinity and Harman Kardon speakers for years now. I have 2 pairs of Infinity components in my VehiCross and a digital Infinity amp running my sub in the back door as well. My surround speaker system with sub in my room is Harman Kardon. Great products, and great value.

That's awesome. I work at the prototype plant in Novi Michigan. I get to see, and hear, all the new car audio systems before most. And when ever we have left over speakers from a run, they allow us to have a few. Nice perks with the job. I have a box of speakers waiting to go into my machines. LOL

#15 11 years ago

Aw, you're making me miss my Popeye...

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Aw, you're making me miss my Popeye...

mine too

#17 11 years ago

I just got one...but you guys can't have it

#18 11 years ago

This is my Popeye by the way Decat. Maybe not THE nicest in the world, but definitely one of them!

Popeye_2.jpgPopeye_2.jpg Popeye_1.jpgPopeye_1.jpg

#19 11 years ago

1 more...

Popeye_3.jpgPopeye_3.jpg

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

This is my Popeye by the way Decat. Maybe not THE nicest in the world, but definitely one of them!

Very nice

#21 11 years ago

I miss it already!

#22 11 years ago

I...LOVE IT. You can't have it back sir That said, I am trying to figure out how and/or why I need to drive out to Phoenix to hang out in your gameroom. I could absolutely not believe how nice your setup was! Oh, and did you sell your CC? It seems to have moved from your collection into your history...

#23 11 years ago

Do you have any closeups of the mirror blades? That is next on my to do list, do you prefer them? Nice paint on the rails and legs, I was thinking about that and matching it with a blue DMD, your thoughts? I might go a little darker on the color of blue though.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I miss it already!

I should have grabbed it but DD has the younger kids that will enjoy it more.
I will have no problem buying it if they tire of it.

#25 11 years ago

I quite literally JUST picked this machine up a week ago from Pinlawyer (see above). He installed the blades and had the work done to get it where it is now. I really enjoy it with the blades. I cannot believe how nicely this thing plays and what a blast the game is. People who say this machine sucks have little time playing it or just MUCH different tastes than I do. No big deal either way as I win in the end

I could see doing a blue DMD. You have gone this far, why stop now? I think the blue powder coat on this is a perfect match. I like the contrast of the lighter blue with the apron and left ramp. If it was darker, they might just get lost. Just my 2 cents...

#26 11 years ago

E! Do you want to swing by tonight in the rain or wait until next week? I am guessing that we can wait a few more days, but I am game to meet up tonight if your free.

#27 11 years ago

Where did you get the small figures on the playfield?

They are nice.

I have a Popeye too.

Thanks,

RussMyers

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

E! Do you want to swing by tonight in the rain or wait until next week? I am guessing that we can wait a few more days, but I am game to meet up tonight if your free.

Josh went to his buddy's house for the weekend, we can wait till next week unless you want me to come by with a microswitch in case the bad one needs more than an adjustment.

#29 11 years ago

Hey Decat, be proud of your talents you put into that Popeye! Looks great. I have never played one but that looks amazing. Who cares what some will say, I guarantee most will be envious of your work like I am.

#30 11 years ago

wow you don't see THAT amount of love for that game often !! good for you man!

#31 11 years ago

Great job man!!! Enjoy your work!~ SpOoKs

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Where did you get the small figures on the playfield?
They are nice.
I have a Popeye too.
Thanks,
RussMyers

Thanks yeah I was looking online for just the right size for the play field for a while and I finally found a complete set on eBay and snagged them, and they have been one of my favorite mods.
I bought the whole set on eBay for $34 with $5 shipping. They were listed as:
'Popeye the Sailorman Mini Action Figures Mezco 2001'

I got the larger Popeye figure in the back box topper on eBay as well for $22 + $11 shipping and it was listed as:
'Popeye Doll 12"'

2 weeks later
#33 11 years ago

I got my new ColorDMD in the mail today and a few minutes later it was in Popeye!

This is probably my favorite upgrade so far. It does quite a few things:
1) allows me to select any single color for the display screen
2) eliminates slight humming noise that was coming from the high power board
3) eliminates all LED flickering due to HP board not having to run the old DMD anymore

Here is a video:

And a few pictures:

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

I got my new ColorDMD in the mail today and a few minutes later it was in Popeye!
This is probably my favorite upgrade so far. It does quite a few things:
1) allows me to select any single color for the display screen
2) eliminates slight humming noise that was coming from the high power board
3) eliminates all LED flickering due to HP board not having to run the old DMD anymore
Here is a video:
» YouTube video
And a few pictures:

Looks cool. I'm really surprised the color DMD folk don't sell a rom-less version of these displays just for cases like this. Or do they?

#35 11 years ago

No I don't believe they do. But I like running it in "Rom" mode because when something does match up from the STTNG machine on my Popeye you get full color. For instance when the "coin door open" screen or the "replay at..." screens come up (on my Popeye) I get the same color display as you would see on STTNG.

#36 11 years ago

Popeye's looking a little blue! Better then a poke in the eye!!!

#37 11 years ago

Sweet game! Great job on the upgrades!

#38 11 years ago

I think I like this very light blue color best:

So light that in the bright spots it looks white, but in the dark spots it looks like a grayish blue. Kinda gives it a two tone effect. Also note in video that at the start the "coin door open" and after the second ball the "replay at....." screens are in full color since they are identical to the STTNG screens so the ROM just runs the full color because it recognizes those dots.

1 month later
#39 11 years ago

New video of wizard mode x2 in one 4 ball game.

And..... me missing Olive's purse (wizard jackpot to beat table) by 1 shot twice.

As you can tell I have this machine setup to be as fast as possible, and I love the outcome.

#40 11 years ago

Wow it looks amazing. You have me missing mine. Nice work with everything!

#41 11 years ago

Still haven't had the pleasure to play one.

#42 11 years ago

Awesome...I have popeye also and have not
been able to get that high of a score.

#43 11 years ago

Nice looking Popeye! I have one and I just laugh at all of the negative posts on here. It definitely plays a little different than most machines but has a ton of things to do and I love the sounds.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

New video of wizard mode x2 in one 4 ball game.
And..... me missing Olive's purse (wizard jackpot to beat table) by 1 shot twice.
» YouTube video
As you can tell I have this machine setup to be as fast as possible, and I love the outcome.

Nice job and I love what you've done to your Popeye. I've found sweet pea and beat sea hag multiball. I still have yet to get to wizard mode. I'll eventually get there.......this should be the unofficial Popeye owners club thread.....proud member here.

Decat can be the president.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Nice job and I love what you've done to your Popeye. I've found sweet pea and beat sea hag multiball. I still have yet to get to wizard mode. I'll eventually get there.......this should be the unofficial Popeye owners club thread.....proud member here.
Decat can be the president.

tilt-master thanks for the compliments! And yes definitely please feel free to share all your Popeye related info here. I would be honored to make this the official (unofficial) Popeye owners thread. Finding sweet pea is so gratifying. The bells dinging and all the flashes going off and the DMD animation, really satisfying. Also I think completing Sea Hag multiball is one of the harder things to do on most pinball machines. Keeping track of at least 2 balls while getting at least one ball up to the upper playfield and to make all shots on both upper and lower playfield's is really difficult, and so fulfilling when all flashers go off and the DMD animation and the "ah" sound effect, haha. Great satisfying multiball when completed! Glad you know what I am talking about!

#46 11 years ago

So for those Popeye owners/appreciaters, a few questions:

1) Have you had to modify or replace the ball trough optos?
2) Have you had to fine tune the ball lock to correctly register ball locks, and what method did you use?
3) Have you had to add support to the underside of the animal diverter to get it properly leveled?
4) What strength coils do you have in the main flippers and the mini flippers?
5) What is your favorite art detail (piece) on the machine?
6) What is your favorite audio clip?
7) What is your favorite DMD animation?
8) What is the toughest shot for you to hit consistently?
9) What is your most satisfying shot?
10) What skill shot do you go for consistently?

#47 11 years ago

I had to replace the 10 switch opto board with an upgraded one I had at least one 339 bad that took out the chip at the u20. I had some problems with the switches under blutos head but it all seemed to clear up with the new board.

#48 11 years ago

Popeye rocks! I've sold a lot of pins to buy BIBLE,& METLE. Popeye's still here!! What's that have to say about Popeye?!?!

#49 11 years ago

I have only played it a few times, but I think it is a pretty fun game. Great looking to boot.

#50 11 years ago

nice looking game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-popeye-custom-modified and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.