Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2 solenoid table 1 to 8  is F105 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 4.40.38 PM (resized).png
20180706_153804 (resized).jpg
20180706_153617 (resized).jpg
20180706_153627 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

OK, since everyone was so helpful with my Getaway and several people expressed interest in helping me fix my T2, I figured I'd create this thread now before my replacement fuses arrive.

First, some background on my machine. Feel free to skip this section if you just want to hear about the current problems, but there is some potentially relevant info here about prior issues that led up to the major one I have now.

Background:

This T2 is in fairly rough shape. It was in a building that caught fire, and while the machine was untouched, there is a lot of soot on parts of it. Honestly, the machine isn't worth fixing from a financial point of view (the cabinet is rough, the playfield is cracked by the shooter lane), but its the first game I ever played more than a few times so it has some sentimental value. I was also able to acquire it for next to nothing, so other than some money in parts I haven't put too much into it yet.

Despite the overall condition, the game actually played fairly well with no major issues up until a few months ago. The first problem I had was that the game suddenly started failing to boot. It just emitted a periodic clicking noise from the speaker, and the D19 LED on the MPU board never went out. I discovered that if I unplugged the top ribbon cable from the DMD control board, the game would boot up fine (but obviously, the DMD would be dark). I tried replacing the ribbon cables, then replaced the DMD control board, and finally swapped out the entire MPU board.

Swapping the MPU board 'fixed' the problem, and after that the game ran fine again. However, a few weeks later I removed the MPU board and tried swapping the game ROM for a different ROM set, and when I returned the MPU board to the game and hooked everything back up again the boot problem returned . The issue returned in the exact same way: the game wouldn't boot unless the upper left ribbon was removed from the DMD control board.

After the problem returned, I first re-seated the ribbon cables, then tried replacing them with a new set of cables. However, the problem persisted. I then checked the voltages on the power driver board, and I found that the +5v was a bit low (4.875). I decided to try to swap in a new power driver board to see if the problem went away if I cleaned up the power issues. I then swapped in a rottendog power driver board from my getaway (see previous thread for that story). I tested the voltages, and they were all spot on with the new board. However, this did not correct the boot issue, which remained and occurred in exactly the same manner.

If I allowed the game to boot by unplugging the upper left ribbon on the DMD board, the game would immediately reset and start clicking if I plugged the ribbon in while the game was powered on. It would then boot up again properly if I unplugged the ribbon cable again. So, something about plugging the ribbon cable into the DMD board brings the machine down. Also, I tried unplugging the sound board and just connecting the MPU and DMD boards, but the same problem happened.

Current issue:

OK, on to the main event. In an attempt to figure out the issue described above, I began fiddling with the ribbon cables. I removed them, examined them again, and then put them back into the machine. This time, I left the DMD control board disconnected entirely (both the left side ribbons were left unplugged). This is when the 'incident' occurred...

When I turned the power back on, I immediately heard a loud pop from the speakers (I think). I immediately turned the machine back off again (my finger never came off the switch, this happened instantly). I unplugged the machine right away and took a look to see what happened. I discovered the following:

-The F105 fuse on the power driver board blew
-The main 8A line filter fuse blew

I did not observe any further damage, but I also don't know what I'm looking for, so all I can say for sure is that none of the other fuses blew.

Current state of the machine:

Right now, I have the power driver board out of the machine. I haven't replaced the main line filter fuse yet (replacement fuse set coming soon). I have no idea if the machine was damaged beyond the two fuses that I mentioned that blew. Right now my question is, how should I proceed from here? Obviously the fuses that blew need to be replaced, but beyond that, is there anything I should do before I attempt to power this thing back up again?

Also, do you think it is wise to attempt to use the power driver board that was in the machine when the fuses blew, or is it likely that it was damaged in a way that could cause further problems in the machine? I will post some pictures of the original power driver board and the rotten dog that was in the machine when the incident occurred.

PinballManiac40 mentioned in my getaway thread that this sort of thing can happen if the ribbon cables are plugged in shifted over by a row. This makes total sense, since I was fiddling with them just prior to this. What sort of additional damage to the machine is something like this likely to cause?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. On the advice of Haggy38, I have ordered a head lamp so that I won't have any further issues seeing the cabling in the backbox. I will be much more careful with the ribbon cables in the future.

#2 5 years ago

Here are a few photos so you can see the two power driver boards I have available. The first is the rottendog board that was in the machine during the incident. All the fuses in here test OK, other than F105 which blew. I'm not sure if the board is any good now, since I don't know if there was damage done to it when the fuse blew.

The second is the original T2 board. All the fuses test OK here, and the game did work with this board. However, as you can see it's very dirty, and the components are all original. The voltages this thing puts out are a bit out of spec, to the point where I'm not sure I want to use this again unless I have to.

20180706_153617 (resized).jpg20180706_153617 (resized).jpg20180706_153627 (resized).jpg20180706_153627 (resized).jpg20180706_153804 (resized).jpg20180706_153804 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

Swapping the MPU board 'fixed' the problem, and after that the game ran fine again. However, a few weeks later I removed the MPU board and tried swapping the game ROM for a different ROM set, and when I returned the MPU board to the game and hooked everything back up again the boot problem returned

I was the first one to reply in the last thread. I said last time "check your connections", which was indeed the issue. That was an easy one to fix because you obviously moved parts around, and the only thing that changed was the connections.

In this instance, the issue occurred, went away, and re-appeared exactly the same just a short while later. This leads me to believe that you never fixed the issue at all and yet in moving things around you fixed it by accident, which means something is loose. Since the machine worked perfectly, I don't think you had a ribbon out of place or anything.

On the boards in the images you provided, grab each connector and wiggle it. They shouldn't move at all, but I am willing to bet that a few of them move a little bit or freely. If so, you need to put more solder on them to make sure they are nice and firm. If they are not firm, they will do weird things, like preventing power from getting to and from the correct places in the machine.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I was the first one to reply in the last thread. I said last time "check your connections", which was indeed the issue. That was an easy one to fix because you obviously moved parts around, and the only thing that changed was the connections.
In this instance, the issue occurred, went away, and re-appeared exactly the same just a short while later. This leads me to believe that you never fixed the issue at all and yet in moving things around you fixed it by accident, which means something is just loose, not broken.
On the boards in the images you provided, grab each connector and wiggle it. They shouldn't move at all, but I am willing to bet that a few of them move freely. If so, you need to put more solder on them to make sure they are nice and firm. If they are not firm, they will do weird things, like preventing power from getting to and from the correct places in the machine.

Hi,

I agree the problem was never fixed. What you say makes sense. I have however tried 2 different ribbon cable sets, 2 different MPU boards, and 2 different DMD controller boards. Therefore, I believe the problem isn't a loose connector on any of these boards (unless you suspect otherwise). Does it make sense that a bad connection elsewhere in the machine could cause this issue?

Regardless, I will double check every connector prior to attempting to power this back on.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

Hi,
I agree the problem was never fixed. What you say makes sense. I have however tried 2 different ribbon cable sets, 2 different MPU boards, and 2 different DMD controller boards. Therefore, I believe the problem isn't a loose connector on any of these boards (unless you suspect otherwise). Does it make sense that a bad connection elsewhere in the machine could cause this issue?
Regardless, I will double check every connector prior to attempting to power this back on.

yes but you could have a cold/cracked solder joint

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

I have however tried 2 different ribbon cable sets, 2 different MPU boards, and 2 different DMD controller boards. Therefore, I believe the problem isn't a loose connector on any of these boards (unless you suspect otherwise). Does it make sense that a bad connection elsewhere in the machine could cause this issue?

I agree with all of this IF AND ONLY IF the problems that have occurred are exactly the same with each of these items installed. Try the power board. Unplug everything and jiggle the connectors. I'm willing to bet one of them is loose.

#7 5 years ago

I agree with all of this IF AND ONLY IF the problems that have occurred are exactly the same with each of these items installed. Try the power board. Unplug everything and jiggle the connectors. I'm willing to bet one of them is loose.

OK, so I have swapped all of the following components:

-Replaced DMD control board with new rottendog dmd control board
-Replaced ribbon cables
-Replaced MPU board with working MPU board from getaway (purchased new MPU board for getaway)
-Replaced power driver board with rottendog power driver board

I did these replacements one at a time, leaving the replacement component in the machine afterward (for example, after swapping DMD boards, I didn't put the old one back before replacing ribbons). The same boot issue happened after each replacement (exactly identical symptoms).

In my mind, this rules out each of these components, but perhaps I'm overlooking something?

I also forgot to mention one little detail, if it matters (I'll update the original post to include this):

If I allowed the game to boot by unplugging the upper left ribbon on the DMD board, the game would immediately reset and start clicking if I plugged the ribbon in while the game was powered on. It would then boot up again properly if I unplugged the ribbon cable again. So, something about plugging the ribbon cable into the DMD board brings the machine down. Also, I tried unplugging the sound board and just connecting the MPU and DMD boards, but the same problem happened.

#8 5 years ago

Personally, I like seeing all the boards in the machine connected in a single picture with the ribbon cables. It will always be clear knowing if you are using original or aftermarket ribbon cables/boards. Sometimes just different board/cable combinations give issues.

I faintly saw on one Getaway picture that you were using computer ribbon cables that have strain reliefs within the end connections. Problem I had seen many times with these type cables is that they cause a lot of different intermittent issues, including boot up issues or even sound issues. I feel that the male header pins on the boards are not long enough to set deep enough into the computer style ribbon cables for good connections.

Is your T2 using the same computer type ribbon cables with the strain reliefs? If so, I really suggest you purchase the OEM style ribbon cables.
http://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/Williams/WilliamsPinball.htm

Having said this, I only seen when a ribbon cable is plugged in one full row off cause the type of issues you were seeing with coils/flashers locking on or loud horrible sounds that end up blowing out a fuse on the driver board.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

If I allowed the game to boot by unplugging the upper left ribbon on the DMD board, the game would immediately reset and start clicking if I plugged the ribbon in while the game was powered on.

It is not a good practice unplugging/plugging in connectors/cables while power is on. This is one way damage can happen.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is not a good practice unplugging/plugging in connectors/cables while power is on. This is one way damage can happen.

Understood, I won't try it again.

I am currently using ribbon cable sets from marco. I'll try ordering a set from the site you linked, in case that helps.

Right now the power driver board is out of the machine. Once I decide which of the two I have I want to try using and replace the fuses, I'll hook everything back up and post some photos before attempting to power the machine up.

Do you have any advice regarding the power driver boards?

Thanks.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

In my mind, this rules out each of these components, but perhaps I'm overlooking something?

Nope. You've ruled them out. GJ.

Quoted from DML1001:

You basically keep saying the same thing that I'm saying, without realizing it.

Plugging & unplugging = moving parts around. If something is loose... like a connector on a board... and something else near it gets moved, then the loose part (CONNECTOR) could be moved just a tad and then electricity wouldn't get through properly. So just because you are moving one ribbon and the issue changes, it doesn't mean that the issue is related to that very ribbon or the connector of the ribbon.

I want to make sure you get what I'm saying so I attached a picture of part of a board. Let's assume I want to check to see if I need to add any soldering to the unit. First I will grab the J1 connector (Red) and try to jiggle it up and down. If it's firm, then it's probably fine. Then I move to J2 (green). Firm again, it's fine. Then I go to J3 (Blue) and I noticed that I can easily move it up and down. That tells me that it's not firmly in place and I should turn the board upside down and add solder to it. I may need to melt some out of there and replace it all if I need to.

Do that, and probably to your power board.

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 4.40.38 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-07-06 at 4.40.38 PM (resized).png

#12 5 years ago

Nope. You've ruled them out. GJ.

You basically keep saying the same thing that I'm saying, without realizing it.
Plugging & unplugging = moving parts around. If something is loose... like a connector on a board... and something else near it gets moved, then the loose part (CONNECTOR) could be moved just a tad and then electricity wouldn't get through properly. So just because you are moving one ribbon and the issue changes, it doesn't mean that the issue is related to that very ribbon or the connector of the ribbon.
I want to make sure you get what I'm saying so I attached a picture of part of a board. Let's assume I want to check to see if I need to add any soldering to the unit. First I will grab the J1 connector (Red) and try to jiggle it up and down. If it's firm, then it's probably fine. Then I move to J2 (green). Firm again, it's fine. Then I go to J3 (Blue) and I noticed that I can easily move it up and down. That tells me that it's not firmly in place and I should turn the board upside down and add solder to it. I may need to melt some out of there and replace it all if I need to.
Do that, and probably to your power board.

What you are saying about a bad connection makes total sense to me.

The reason I'm a little skeptical that it is a loose connector one one of the boards is because I have swapped out every board in the backbox (other than sound, which I did try bypassing), and the problem persisted with the replacement boards. It seems unlikely that I would see the same problem after swapping every board if the problem was a loose connector on one of the boards, but it's always possible there is a similar issue the original and replacement boards I suppose.

That being said, and I will definitely do the test you suggest on every connector on every board in the backbox later tonight. I'll let you know if I discover any that have any play on them at all. I won't be able to test anything with the machine powered on for at least a few days until my new fuses arrive though.

Thanks for the tips!

#13 5 years ago

So its seems like a lot are going here with you and I don't know if it is your problem but I agree connection, connection, connection's. Many of time I have thought I have had a ghost or some crap in a game and doing the wiggle test will find it. Since you have done sets of boards it may not be on the board side, but I would check that it could be on the connecter side. I have seen issues on both. A thought maybe to check the display connections as well as it seems like you are saying discoing it lets the game boot up.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

What you are saying about a bad connection makes total sense to me.
The reason I'm a little skeptical that it is a loose connector one one of the boards is because I have swapped out every board in the backbox (other than sound, which I did try bypassing), and the problem persisted with the replacement boards. It seems unlikely that I would see the same problem after swapping every board if the problem was a loose connector on one of the boards, but it's always possible there is a similar issue the original and replacement boards I suppose.
That being said, and I will definitely do the test you suggest on every connector on every board in the backbox later tonight. I'll let you know if I discover any that have any play on them at all. I won't be able to test anything with the machine powered on for at least a few days until my new fuses arrive though.
Thanks for the tips!

My apologies. I thought there was still a board or two you hadn’t switched out.

#15 5 years ago

My apologies. I thought there was still a board or two you hadn’t switched out.

No problem, I should have been more clear on this from the start. I've tinkered with this machine so much I forgot to mention several things initially.

Regardless, what you say makes sense. I will double check the connectors anyway. At this point, it feels like I've ruled out so many things that I must have incorrectly ruled something out, so it will be good to backtrack and re-eliminate all the boards

#16 5 years ago

Far as your Rottendog driver is concerned, it is starting to sound like you may have a shorted transistor and when you turn on the game, it is locking on and blowing out the F105 fuse. It is hard to tell when you turn on the game which coil it is before it blows out. Only the F105 3 amp slo-blo fuse gives us an idea which coil(s) were affected. Because I could not find in the manual which of F101 to F105 went to which coils, I had to remove F105 out of my T2. It affects coils 1 to 8. Personally, if I went to someone's house to repair the board, I would test out all the transistors for shorts on this driver board and do an ohm test on all 8 of these coils.

T2 solenoid table 1 to 8  is F105 (resized).pngT2 solenoid table 1 to 8 is F105 (resized).png

Please note the if you do find a shorted transistor, I do not believe that Rottendog used TIP102 transistors on this driver board. So you would have to make sure you have the correct substituted transistor, if you do not use an exact replacement part as what is on thia Rottendog board.

#17 5 years ago

FYI, you should be able to find a 3 amp slo-blo fuse at an auto parts, electronic or home improvement store.

#18 5 years ago

I got sidetracked for a few days with other projects, now it's time to get back to the T2.

My fuses arrived, and I replaced the burnt ones. I also replaced the other fuses on the old power driver board since they looked corroded, and I wanted to make sure the ratings were all correct.

Right now, here is my plan for this machine. Please let me know if you see any problems with this:

-Replace blown fuses, including line fuse (already done)
-Reinstall original power driver board (not the one that was in the machine when the fuses blew)
-Disconnect sound board, dmd, and dmd control board entirely (I want to try booting with as little connected as possible)
-Attempt to power on again

Does this sound reasonable/safe? Am I correct in assuming that its safe to power on the machine with the sound, dmd, and dmd board disconnected from everything? I want to reduce the number of things connected and make sure the machine isn't blowing fuses before I attempt to reconnect anything I don't have to.

Thanks.

10 months later
#19 4 years ago

Did you ever get your game fixed?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 21.95
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-poor-poor-t2- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.