(Topic ID: 243939)

My poor man’s Indiana Jones (eldorado city of gold retheme)

By sixtyfourbits

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top9 (resized).jpg
top8 (resized).jpg
top7 (resized).jpg
top6 (resized).jpg
top5 (resized).jpg
top4 (resized).jpg
top3 (resized).jpg
top2 (resized).jpg
top1 (resized).jpg
top0 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
hdclear (resized).PNG
Screenshot_2019-06-15-13-55-57 (resized).jpg
Akator (resized).jpg
E3B7B7E7-4D70-4FE8-9C0C-E117B317F734 (resized).jpeg
30FC8E84-DE1B-48EB-A2AB-314AF5A99694 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChipScott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

I would recover the targets with letters in Indy-Font. The targets on the upper end * * I N D I A N A * and the targets right J O N E S.
It would integrate the theme a little bit more.
It is esay to do:
Printing on Photo-Paper, laminate the front side with clear tape and the back with double sided sticky carpet tape, color the small side with an edding in the color of your targets (best would be black).
Ready to use.
That is the way i fresh up old targets like you can see here[quoted image]

Awesome job! Looks really cool!
Yeah, I think putting the word "Indiana" at the top drop targets and "Jones" on the right drop targets is a really super idea. Easy to do and would absolutely bring some additional integration to the pf (in addition to your pop bumper caps, which look really great, btw). Since the word "Indiana" only has seven letters and there are 10 drop targets, as opposed to having stars, or whatever, on the left and on the right embedding that name, it might be cool, since it is the Temple of Doom (and he collects those three "special stones"), to have some form of picture/shape resembling those 3 stones. Also, can consider adding some covering stickers to the advance rollover standing targets on the left (in front of and behind the left pop bumper).
I know there's a Williams symbol, but these are cheap and could work in a pinch:

ebay.com link: Indiana Jones Williams NOS Pinball Promotional Stickers

Or:
ebay.com link: INDIANA JONES TARGET BODY ARMOUR NEW MATERIAL DESIGN LIFETIME WARRANTY

Also looks this fella has something as well you could use:

ebay.com link: Lot of 9 Pinball Promo Coaster Cutouts Twilight Zone Indiana Jones More

Anyway, following this project.
Great job thus far!! Fun!!

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

Hello,
it is easy to recover the targets with washers (see picture 1, there will be one out there which fits). Then, with the metal dot in the middle, you have a plain target where you can stick whatever you want (see my description of making custom targets).
The idea to take Indy on them is a good way to integrate the theme.
Maybe like the original (see picture 2) with a little work in paint or other software you can create a round target with Indy.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice idea with the washer.
Yeah, I think putting a sticker on the stand up targets is a great way to add some integration. I think that putting larger stickers on the plastics could have the potential to look a bit forced and maybe a bit junky; however, if you could somehow get the measurements of the slingshot plastics and create new plastics that look both integrated with the Indiana Jones theme while still look in line with the pf colors/graphics, etc color that might be cool.
Keep us posted!

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Another thing that I do to all my games is create a keychain for their key. I’ve probably created 10 by now, but being a pinballer on a budget means that quite a few have left too lol. I hang all the keys together on a light-up letter-board on the game room wall. Today I got around to adding one for Indiana Jones and the temple of doom.
[quoted image]

The Indiana Jones pictures turned out pretty cool on the slingshots. This is only my opinion, and of course my opinion carries no ultimate weight to your decision-making, but my impression is that the Short Round and the Willy pictures really don't go very well with the look of the game you're working on. To me the starkness of the pictures looks a bit distracting, I think. Maybe I'm wrong. Again, I would give consideration to either small hand drawn Indiana Jones pictures, and or some picture of a Indiana Jones related object for the stand up targets on the left, and maybe leave the playfield plastics (outside of the sling modification you have showed) as they currently are.
Looking good. Great project.

1 month later
#74 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

It's topper time!
One way that I thought I could help make this look more like an Indy pin (while still keeping it easily reversible if I or the next owner so chooses) is by making a custom topper for it. Now, technically its not quite done, as I hope to run lighting up to it in the future. But with my cpu board still in the mail and not back here yet, that might have to wait a little bit. But regardless, I'm quite happy with how it has turned out so far, and would like to share.
So I started off by looking for a figure, statue, etc. I found one on kijiji (basically Canada's version of craigslist) for $20.
[quoted image]
Awesome! It was out of the package, but in great shape. It came with a base and removable items such as hat, whip, book, sword (not a machete), revolver and fertility god gold statue. I decided that to fit the Temple of Doom theme, I would use the hat, whip, book and revolver. But for anyone with the stern or williams Indy pins, this figure could easily be used for one of those too.
The removable items the figure came with fit loosely, so first thing anyone nudged the machine, the items would fall off, and the figure would fall over off the base. So I used a bit of model contact cement to help hold the items to Dr.Jones (no time for love Dr.Jones!) and to hold Dr.Jones to the base.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
This on its own looked ok, but I figured that to get it to look more like a traditional topper, it needed a bit of a flat background behind the figure. I also think that when I get the lighting done, having the flat background will look even better. For the background, I simply image searched the web for "mossy stone wall", and found an image I liked. I then printed it, cut it out, laminated it, cut it out again, and then slid it between the rock blocks and rock column on the base of the figure.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And presto! One custom Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom topper for $20 Canadian total.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very cool! Great find, looks awesome. Agree with getting some lights up to the topper... a couple lights emanating between Indy and the rocks would be a very cool look.
Since that Indiana Jones figure is so realistic, I will say that while really cool, don't get me wrong, the paper background is a bit of a rough match. Can consider going to a hobby store and getting some fake rocks and building them up behind him, can glue them together, even add some fake moss. Can do it in a similar shape to your paper background. Just a thought to consider, especially since that Indiana figurine is so cool and detailed.
Any progress with adding decals to the drop targets yet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChipScott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-poor-mans-indiana-jones-eldorado-city-of-gold-retheme?tu=ChipScott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.