(Topic ID: 243939)

My poor man’s Indiana Jones (eldorado city of gold retheme)

By sixtyfourbits

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top9 (resized).jpg
top8 (resized).jpg
top7 (resized).jpg
top6 (resized).jpg
top5 (resized).jpg
top4 (resized).jpg
top3 (resized).jpg
top2 (resized).jpg
top1 (resized).jpg
top0 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
hdclear (resized).PNG
Screenshot_2019-06-15-13-55-57 (resized).jpg
Akator (resized).jpg
E3B7B7E7-4D70-4FE8-9C0C-E117B317F734 (resized).jpeg
30FC8E84-DE1B-48EB-A2AB-314AF5A99694 (resized).jpeg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

In my opinion a drawn Indy (Williams-Look) would fit bettter to the drawn playfield.
Use pictures like this one https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/15-503/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Tomb-of-the-Gods-3
You can cut out the head like you did with your ones (Stern-Look) and label it on the slings.

Hey Metengo , thanks for some more input. I agree, a more hand drawn Indy image would’ve likely matched the existing art a bit better. For now I’ll likely keep what I have, but in the future I might make the swap.
A question for you. I plan on using vinyl cut out decals for the drop target letters, the same way I did the pop bumper and flipper decals. I’m trying to decide if clear packing tape or Mylar would be the better cover. I feel the packing tape would give a better finish over the letters (less air around the letters as it’s thinner) but that Mylar would be stronger. Any thoughts?

#52 4 years ago

i have a flyer for eldorado city of gold . Neat lookin game. Love the art.
Cheers

#53 4 years ago

Awesome work !!!! I'm about to start a similar project on a Raven I just picked up.I'm going to change it to some sort of jungle drug lord/DEA theme.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Awesome work !!!! I'm about to start a similar project on a Raven I just picked up.I'm going to change it to some sort of jungle drug lord/DEA theme.

Neat idea. I look forward to seeing pics of it once you start.

#55 4 years ago

Please don't hate me. The playfield art is a good match for The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull's ending set piece.

Akator (resized).jpgAkator (resized).jpg
#56 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I’m trying to decide if clear packing tape or Mylar would be the better cover. I feel the packing tape would give a better finish over the letters (less air around the letters as it’s thinner) but that Mylar would be stronger. Any thoughts?

I am a friend of low-budget modding , so us packing tape, you can´t play it weary. Do it.

Here an example of my low-budget modding on GoT Pro https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/sparbroetchen-modding-am-game-of-thrones.177751/
Most of the parts are created for nearly zero Euros (or Dollars, in this case it´s the same )

#57 4 years ago

Heres a mock up I did on my phone real quick.the rules will even work well.hit the CIA or DEA targets will activate the agents(snipers) and have them pop out randomly from the playfield then take them out for an extra ball.

Screenshot_2019-06-15-13-55-57 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2019-06-15-13-55-57 (resized).jpg
#58 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Please don't hate me. The playfield art is a good match for The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull's ending set piece.[quoted image]

Haha I don’t hate you for mentioning that. I fully agree with you. Actually, with the temple of doom based in India, I’d go as far as saying the kingdom of the crystal skull scenery fits this pin better.
But, I’m still happy I went with the temple of doom movie. Just because both came out in 1984, and I feel the older movie fits the older pin style better.
But still a valid point!

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

I am a friend of low-budget modding , so us packing tape, you can´t play it weary. Do it.
Here an example of my low-budget modding on GoT Pro https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/sparbroetchen-modding-am-game-of-thrones.177751/
Most of the parts are created for nearly zero Euros (or Dollars, in this case it´s the same )

Thanks for sharing! I love how you put pictures of the more expensive mods beside the low cost mods, to easily compare. Your work is both awesome and inspiring!
So you’re saying that packing tape on drop targets doesn’t age poorly? My biggest fear is that I’ll change the decoration on the drop targets, only to find the tape and decals get worn after a few games and look bad.

#60 4 years ago

So you’re saying that packing tape on drop targets doesn’t age poorly?

Hello, they don´t. Surely not after a few games. I had never to do this because of looking bad after a while. Never.
And IF (because your pin is sitting in the sunlight), you can replace them in one minute.

#61 4 years ago

Another thing that I do to all my games is create a keychain for their key. I’ve probably created 10 by now, but being a pinballer on a budget means that quite a few have left too lol. I hang all the keys together on a light-up letter-board on the game room wall. Today I got around to adding one for Indiana Jones and the temple of doom.
[quoted image]

The Indiana Jones pictures turned out pretty cool on the slingshots. This is only my opinion, and of course my opinion carries no ultimate weight to your decision-making, but my impression is that the Short Round and the Willy pictures really don't go very well with the look of the game you're working on. To me the starkness of the pictures looks a bit distracting, I think. Maybe I'm wrong. Again, I would give consideration to either small hand drawn Indiana Jones pictures, and or some picture of a Indiana Jones related object for the stand up targets on the left, and maybe leave the playfield plastics (outside of the sling modification you have showed) as they currently are.
Looking good. Great project.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

The Indiana Jones pictures turned out pretty cool on the slingshots. This is only my opinion, and of course my opinion carries no ultimate weight to your decision-making, but my impression is that the Short Round and the Willy pictures really don't go very well with the look of the game you're working on. To me the starkness of the pictures looks a bit distracting, I think. Maybe I'm wrong. Again, I would give consideration to either small hand drawn Indiana Jones pictures, and or some picture of a Indiana Jones related object for the stand up targets on the left, and maybe leave the playfield plastics (outside of the sling modification you have showed) as they currently are.
Looking good. Great project.

Thanks for the kind words. I also appreciate you sharing your opinion. It’s quite similar to mine. In the end I won’t be using the short round or Willy pics, as I fully agree, they’re just not right for this pins colors/graphics/art style. I think for now I’ll leave the Indy slingshot graphics as the only mod to the plastics.

I think next I’ll tackle the custom drop targets, get my boards back in and working 100%, and probably call it done for now after that.

#63 4 years ago

Very cool. I like what you are doing. If you feel like experimenting, You can pretty easily make some removable modifications to the playfield using printed paper cut to the right shape. I did that with a low budget rescue 911 pf repair but the same technique would work if you wanted to play with some minor changes to the pf.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescuing-a-rescue-911

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Very cool. I like what you are doing. If you feel like experimenting, You can pretty easily make some removable modifications to the playfield using printed paper cut to the right shape. I did that with a low budget rescue 911 pf repair but the same technique would work if you wanted to play with some minor changes to the pf.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescuing-a-rescue-911

Thanks for checking out my project. I've been following your rescue 911, and have really enjoyed watching you bring it back to life. You have done an awesome job so far.
I think for now I will be leaving the playfield as is, as I feel it fits the theme well enough. If I choose to revisit the idea down the road once all my other project ideas are completed, I will definitely consider going the route you did, as it worked well and is removable. The playfield in this is the Mylstar version, which was limited to 150 total before they switched to Premier, so that's why I wouldn't want to do any permanent changes to the playfield.

3 weeks later
#65 4 years ago

So you’re saying that packing tape on drop targets doesn’t age poorly?

I use this stuff all the time, it's perfectly clear and a little thicker than most packing tape.

hdclear (resized).PNGhdclear (resized).PNG
#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I use this stuff all the time, it's perfectly clear and a little thicker than most packing tape.[quoted image]

Thanks for the heads up! I'm getting the boards taken care of first, but may revisit the idea of custom drop targets after that, so this is great to know.

Just a small update; My CPU has been fixed and is currently in the mail on its way back to me. Sadly my sound board was non-repairable. I may have a line on a replacement one from a good friend though, so I'm hoping that works out. If not, I will be ordering a replacement one from pascal. I will post again once I have my boards all sorted out.

#67 4 years ago

So one of the biggest parts of this retheme is the backglass. For this I used the free program gimp 2, which is a wonderful Image editing program that I highly recommend. After I had an image I was happy with, I sent it to a local printing company that is able to print on backlit material. Because I did all the image work it was pretty cheap to have printed. Here is the end result:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Here is the game over part lit up:
[quoted image]
And my favorite, the tilt lit up:
[quoted image]
It’s midnight here now, so I’m off to bed. Tomorrow I will cover the new legs, as well as the custom pop bumper and flipper decals I had made. I will also discuss what is left to do.

Great repurposing of the original game... but, the kid in me does have to chuckle at the "Ball in Play" text location on the new backglass art.

Keep up the good work.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Great repurposing of the original game... but, the kid in me does have to chuckle at the "Ball in Play" text location on the new backglass art.
Keep up the good work.

Hahaha it’s ok, the kid in me laughed at that part too. In the end I left it as I couldn’t think of a better way to label that display, and for the giggles it sometimes produces from myself and my immature friends.

#69 4 years ago

This is really cool. I'm a big fan of Indiana Jones and finding this made my day. Keep up the good work!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Chapmant:

This is really cool. I'm a big fan of Indiana Jones and finding this made my day. Keep up the good work![quoted image]

Thanks! I’m glad you like it! I’m mostly done both the cosmetic and mechanical/electrical work, but I do have one or two things planned yet, so stay tuned.
Thanks again for the kind words.

#71 4 years ago

It's topper time!

One way that I thought I could help make this look more like an Indy pin (while still keeping it easily reversible if I or the next owner so chooses) is by making a custom topper for it. Now, technically its not quite done, as I hope to run lighting up to it in the future. But with my cpu board still in the mail and not back here yet, that might have to wait a little bit. But regardless, I'm quite happy with how it has turned out so far, and would like to share.

So I started off by looking for a figure, statue, etc. I found one on kijiji (basically Canada's version of craigslist) for $20.

top0 (resized).jpgtop0 (resized).jpg

Awesome! It was out of the package, but in great shape. It came with a base and removable items such as hat, whip, book, sword (not a machete), revolver and fertility god gold statue. I decided that to fit the Temple of Doom theme, I would use the hat, whip, book and revolver. But for anyone with the stern or williams Indy pins, this figure could easily be used for one of those too.

The removable items the figure came with fit loosely, so first thing anyone nudged the machine, the items would fall off, and the figure would fall over off the base. So I used a bit of model contact cement to help hold the items to Dr.Jones (no time for love Dr.Jones!) and to hold Dr.Jones to the base.

top1 (resized).jpgtop1 (resized).jpg

top2 (resized).jpgtop2 (resized).jpg

top3 (resized).jpgtop3 (resized).jpg

This on its own looked ok, but I figured that to get it to look more like a traditional topper, it needed a bit of a flat background behind the figure. I also think that when I get the lighting done, having the flat background will look even better. For the background, I simply image searched the web for "mossy stone wall", and found an image I liked. I then printed it, cut it out, laminated it, cut it out again, and then slid it between the rock blocks and rock column on the base of the figure.

top4 (resized).jpgtop4 (resized).jpg

top5 (resized).jpgtop5 (resized).jpg

top6 (resized).jpgtop6 (resized).jpg

top7 (resized).jpgtop7 (resized).jpg

And presto! One custom Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom topper for $20 Canadian total.

top8 (resized).jpgtop8 (resized).jpg

top9 (resized).jpgtop9 (resized).jpg

#72 4 years ago

Great work ! Looking very sharp, and you made a nice topper

1 week later
#73 4 years ago

Update time!
The CPU board arrived in the mail today. The game plays wonderfully again, and high scores are saved. Hooray!
On a sad note, I still can’t get any sound or music. My buddy Malibu-SS has 2 eldorado city of gold sound boards that he was kind enough to lend me to test, but sadly none of his or mine produce anything. The 6530 chips in these are known for failing, but I’m starting to suspect (and hope) the sound problem lies elsewhere then the sound board. Any tips or advice on what I should all check?

#74 4 years ago

It's topper time!
One way that I thought I could help make this look more like an Indy pin (while still keeping it easily reversible if I or the next owner so chooses) is by making a custom topper for it. Now, technically its not quite done, as I hope to run lighting up to it in the future. But with my cpu board still in the mail and not back here yet, that might have to wait a little bit. But regardless, I'm quite happy with how it has turned out so far, and would like to share.
So I started off by looking for a figure, statue, etc. I found one on kijiji (basically Canada's version of craigslist) for $20.
[quoted image]
Awesome! It was out of the package, but in great shape. It came with a base and removable items such as hat, whip, book, sword (not a machete), revolver and fertility god gold statue. I decided that to fit the Temple of Doom theme, I would use the hat, whip, book and revolver. But for anyone with the stern or williams Indy pins, this figure could easily be used for one of those too.
The removable items the figure came with fit loosely, so first thing anyone nudged the machine, the items would fall off, and the figure would fall over off the base. So I used a bit of model contact cement to help hold the items to Dr.Jones (no time for love Dr.Jones!) and to hold Dr.Jones to the base.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
This on its own looked ok, but I figured that to get it to look more like a traditional topper, it needed a bit of a flat background behind the figure. I also think that when I get the lighting done, having the flat background will look even better. For the background, I simply image searched the web for "mossy stone wall", and found an image I liked. I then printed it, cut it out, laminated it, cut it out again, and then slid it between the rock blocks and rock column on the base of the figure.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And presto! One custom Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom topper for $20 Canadian total.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very cool! Great find, looks awesome. Agree with getting some lights up to the topper... a couple lights emanating between Indy and the rocks would be a very cool look.
Since that Indiana Jones figure is so realistic, I will say that while really cool, don't get me wrong, the paper background is a bit of a rough match. Can consider going to a hobby store and getting some fake rocks and building them up behind him, can glue them together, even add some fake moss. Can do it in a similar shape to your paper background. Just a thought to consider, especially since that Indiana figurine is so cool and detailed.
Any progress with adding decals to the drop targets yet?

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Very cool! Great find, looks awesome. Agree with getting some lights up to the topper... a couple lights emanating between Indy and the rocks would be a very cool look.
Since that Indiana Jones figure is so realistic, I will say that while really cool, don't get me wrong, the paper background is a bit of a rough match. Can consider going to a hobby store and getting some fake rocks and building them up behind him, can glue them together, even add some fake moss. Can do it in a similar shape to your paper background. Just a thought to consider, especially since that Indiana figurine is so cool and detailed.
Any progress with adding decals to the drop targets yet?

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. I agree, a more 3d block background would look better. I live in a small town with limited shopping options, but next time I head in to one of the larger neighboring towns, I will have to check out a hobby store.
No new progress with the drop targets yet. I've had limited time to spend on Indy, and lately have been concentrating on getting it up and running smoothly, and trying to track the sound issue. I do still plan to make custom drop targets for it. I have a buddy who has extra gottlieb drop targets, so I may go that route so that I do not have to take the original decals off the back drop targets. We shall see. But I do still hope to tackle that part of the project eventually/soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-poor-mans-indiana-jones-eldorado-city-of-gold-retheme/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.