Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190906_122909 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

My family has shown only mild interest in Pinball so I had a family tournament today with prizes. Had the family get together and we had a individual tournament and a team tournament.

They are way more competitive then I thought and fought hard for gift cards and bragging rights. Now they are starting to ask when a new game is coming. Mwahhahahahaha

#2 4 years ago

Wow I like this, though I doubt my wife can be convinced to let me add another game..... My only chance is if Harry Potter Pinball is announced as it would be an instant LE pre purchase

#3 4 years ago

Mwahhahahahaha indeed.

#4 4 years ago

That’s a great idea. Now get a white board for just family scores so the kids get to see their top scores

#5 4 years ago

Well played, sir!

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

My family has shown only mild interest in Pinball so I had a family tournament today with prizes. Had the family get together and we had a individual tournament and a team tournament.
    They are way more competitive then I thought and fought hard for gift cards and bragging rights. Now they are starting to ask when a new game is coming. Mwahhahahahaha

This is genius.

#7 4 years ago

Did you use a tournament program? If not here is the one I use for our family tournaments. http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=482
    My cheap $@@ didn't offer a prize or gift card. Now delete this forum before they see it.
    LOL

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

That’s a great idea. Now get a white board for just family scores so the kids get to see their top scores

This is a great idea! My 9 year old son was so excited to be Grand Champion when we first got Deadpool. Then he was happy to have two slots in the top 5. I get anxiety about pushing him off the high score list so much so that I start thinking about throwing my game. Thank you for this idea!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkfanz:

This is a great idea! My 9 year old son was so excited to be Grand Champion when we first got Deadpool. Then he was happy to have two slots in the top 5. I get anxiety about pushing him off the high score list so much so that I start thinking about throwing my game. Thank you for this idea!

I have GoTLE and never played two house's that had high score by daughter. But before installing new code it was game on. Family tournament is fun for the whole family.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkfanz:

Oh man, been down that road a few times myself. Kid’s go to game is Bobby Orr power play so he racked up some big time scores that were unbeaten for awhile. I finally took over the high score and my lady got so pissed at me for doing that to him. I’m like wtf, it’s just a game. It was only a matter of days before he retook the top score so since then it’s game on. I won’t hold back anymore

#11 4 years ago

#12 4 years ago

Brilliant !!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Oh man, been down that road a few times myself. Kid’s go to game is Bobby Orr power play so he racked up some big time scores that were unbeaten for awhile. I finally took over the high score and my lady got so pissed at me for doing that to him. I’m like wtf, it’s just a game. It was only a matter of days before he retook the top score so since then it’s game on. I won’t hold back anymore

Nice work! Take no prisoners! At least we're teaching the next generation to love pinball right?!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Did you use a tournament program? If not here is the one I use for our family tournaments. http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=482
    My cheap $@@ didn't offer a prize or gift card. Now delete this forum before they see it.
    LOL

No, didn't know about the tournament program. Thanks for the heads up.

The wife and kids are already trash talking about how they are going to beat everyone at the Christmas tournament. I told them this time they better find sponsors.

#15 4 years ago

If your wife reads this tread she knows you misled her.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

If your wife reads this tread she knows you misled her.

Getting her to play pinball is a challenge. Getting her to read anything on Pinside is an impossibility. I'm safe.

#17 4 years ago

Cleaver man bravo! I faced the same challenge trying to convince my kids to enjoy a game with old dad. Oddly all their friends thought it was the coolest thing they ever seen owning a home arcade. If I can figure out how to put a wine dispenser on the game my wife might be in more often! Hope she doesn't read pinside also....

#18 4 years ago

I think this is a great idea. I would like more specifics in regards to the "tournament" you had, or at least some helpful ideas. We've had games around so long that they really don't get played at all. Anything to get them off the phones would be great. I really like the gift card idea.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

I think this is a great idea. I would like more specifics in regards to the "tournament" you had, or at least some helpful ideas. We've had games around so long that they really don't get played at all. Anything to get them off the phones would be great. I really like the gift card idea.

Was really simple (wouldn't know any other way). Had gift cards to Starbucks, Target and Buffalo Wild Wings for $25.00 each to be awarded to the person getting the highest cumulative score on each machine.

I have three machines so each person played each game twice. I combined the players two scores for each machine played and awarded a prize for highest score per machine.

The Grand Champion had the highest overall score for the three games. I had two Grand Champion prizes. Over 18 and under 18. My youngest won Grand Champion in her age category by default but she also played really well and won high score on one of the three pinball machines.

Had one more gift card for the team award. Each person chose a number from a box and I matched players 1-2, 3-4, etc. We played one game on AC/DC and combined the players score. Highest score won.

All told there was 6 prizes. One prize for each of the games, one prize for the team award and two prizes for Grand Champion.

Took a couple hours total and we had lunch too. Was a lot of fun.

#20 4 years ago

I don't know why people really care that much about getting others interested in pinball. It makes sense if they are out on location earning though. My daughter acclimated to them all on her own with a little early bribery I will admit. But since then my attitude is take it or leave it.

It almost seems like one of those self assurance things to a lot of people, but having any kind of party or get together is always cool.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't know why people really care that much about getting others interested in pinball. It makes sense if they are out on location earning though. My daughter acclimated to them all on her own with a little early bribery I will admit. But since then my attitude is take it or leave it.
    It almost seems like one of those self assurance things to a lot of people, but having any kind of party or get together is always cool.

Call it early acclimation. I don't really care if Pinball becomes their "thing" too. In fact, I know it won't. But it does make it easier on everyone if they have fun with it. It also makes it easier to buy new games.

#22 4 years ago

It also makes it easier to buy new games.

That part I never had a problem with. But the daughter will only play the older games I bring in. She's really liking Comet right now. She won't play the newest games as she thinks they are a joke. Wonder where she ever got an idea like that. But she does her own thinking and knows what she likes. Smart girl.

#23 4 years ago

I learned a long time ago it is easiest to get them started with something simple that they can understand right away and let them decide from there which they would prefer to play. They might stay at it longer that way.

#24 4 years ago

We had a tournament today. School closed because of Hurricane Dorian. Each player had to play one game on each of the ten machines. 1st place got 45% 2nd place 33% and 3rd received 22% of payout. They were ready to play another tournament as soon as they received the loot. We did just after finishing lunch.

20190906_122909 (resized).jpg20190906_122909 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-plan-is-working-wife-and-kids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.