(Topic ID: 38949)

My Pinball Rotisserie is Finished

By Strohz

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tool_holders.jpg
    soldering_station_holder.jpg
    screwdriver_holder.jpg
    pliers_holder.jpg
    carpenter.jpg
    donkey_kong.jpg
    rotisserie_cad.jpg
    Slide10.JPG
    Slide9.JPG
    Slide8.JPG
    Slide7.JPG
    rotisserie_width_adjustment_2.jpg
    Slide6.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

First of all, special thanks to Skypilot for the inspiration; donation made. I was tired of having playfields sitting around the floor while I shopped out games, so decided to follow his lead. If you missed his original thread, check it out here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-pilots-rotisserie-plans

I'm fortunate in that my dad is a custom cabinet maker with all the tools you could need to make something out of wood. Following are some pics and details behind the rotisserie that he and I made over a few weekends. Here is the final product:

Slide2.JPGSlide2.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Unlike the original, I wanted to be able to put it away and store it under my pinball machines when not in use much like a metal pipe rotisserie. To do this, we designed it to separate into three parts: a wheeled base, removable supports with attached lazy-Susan bearings, and a rigid top to securely hold the playfield. The base is only 10” high and easily slides under the machines. All of the parts store in the base, and can go from storage to having a playfield installed in about a minute. Simply set the 4x4 posts on each end of the wheeled base, place the rigid top on the lazy-Susan bearings, then secure each end with a long bolt and star knob through them.

Slide3.JPGSlide3.JPG Slide4.JPGSlide4.JPG Slide5.JPGSlide5.JPG

#3 11 years ago

I also wanted the top to be one-size-fits-all yet so I wasn’t making a new one every time I switched from a Stern to a widebody WPC machine. Our solution was to size the top to fit the smallest playfield, then add a sliding t-track system to the ends. This allows the frame to quickly to adjust from 20-32” wide, and only requires a standard 1/2" nut driver to operate. Just loosen four bolts on each end, slide to the desired width, and lock back in place.

Slide6.JPGSlide6.JPG rotisserie_width_adjustment_2.jpgrotisserie_width_adjustment_2.jpg

#4 11 years ago

AWESOME!! Well done!

#5 11 years ago

Finally, I wanted to make sure the playfield was firmly attached to the rotisserie without needing clumsy c-clamps that could come loose, and wasn’t a hassle to put in place. We routed an oversized channel in the top crossbars so the front playfield brackets would lay into place just like a lockdown bar. Then it’s just a matter of setting the front of the playfield in the channel and securing it in place with a wooden rail. We used three thumbscrews as they go on easy, and keep it from sliding around as the playfield turns. To elevate the rear end of the playfield, we mounted a pair of bolts on sliding brackets that replicate pivot nut functionality but can change sizes just by moving them back and forth. On Bally/Williams games with the rear playfield hinge system, you simply slide the brackets to the rear until they “click” locking them in place. This results in a very secure connection, with no possibility of accidentally falling off as once locked in it requires lifting up the spring to release them. A pair of T-handles locks them in place and prevents them from falling off when upside down. For Stern machines, the bracket needs to be modified but should function similarly.

Slide7.JPGSlide7.JPG Slide8.JPGSlide8.JPG Slide9.JPGSlide9.JPG

#6 11 years ago

So here is the final rotisserie assembled and the next project locked in place. It turns effortlessly from side to side, and a second set of thumbscrews ensures the playfield locks horizontally so it won't move until you want it to. I have a few modifications in mind such as adding a wire harness clip, soldering station mount and tool holder by attaching them to the top rails like the sliding brackets, but that’s for another post…

Good luck and thanks Dad!

Slide10.JPGSlide10.JPG

#8 11 years ago

Absolutely the nicest rotisserie i have ever seen. I'm a huge fan of custom woodworking and that is really nice. Using the extruded aluminum channels as sliders was smart.

#9 11 years ago

WOW!!!!

Amazing job!

#10 11 years ago

Very nice!

#11 11 years ago

That's no Polish joke! Nice job Ed.

Dan

#12 11 years ago

Damn, that is awesome. I want one! You want to sell on? You could cut the wood and have instructions on assembly.

#13 11 years ago

Looks cool. Awesome job.

#14 11 years ago

You set a very high bar lad..... Very high bar...

Well done.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

Damn, that is awesome. I want one! You want to sell on? You could cut the wood and have instructions on assembly.

+1

#16 11 years ago

It's too nice to air brush or clearcoat on - outstanding workmanship!

#17 11 years ago

Great design!

#19 11 years ago

First of all thanks for the kind words and the charitable donation .

Now on to the rotisserie ....WOW ...that is a beautiful job. And a work of art. You should be proud !
    To enjoy that project with your dad to. Great memories built.

#20 11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments guys! We lost count on how many revisions it actually took to finally get to this "simple" solution, but definitely had fun in the process. He still doesn't get why anyone would need more than one pinball machine though, lol.

Several folks asked if I had any sketches so here you go. It should be pretty straightforward with the pics, but good luck as it took us a couple weekends and I had an experienced woodworker helping me

rotisserie_cad.jpgrotisserie_cad.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

#22 11 years ago

Nice rotisserie, however I really love the art on your walls. They appear to be curtains or cloth? Where did you get them?

#23 11 years ago

Nice job. Can u upload a dxf?

#24 11 years ago

Nice rotisserie, however I really love the art on your walls. They appear to be curtains or cloth? Where did you get them?

They are really cool hand-painted murals on canvas by artist Melissa Jones, adorned with classic 3-D arcade figures she used to carve. I had a pocket sewn into them to hang them around the gameroom with curtain rods. You can check out her gallery at Nicecarvings.com. Here is my favorite:

donkey_kong.jpgdonkey_kong.jpg

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from pincredible:

Nice job. Can u upload a dxf?

All I kept were the prints as I'm not a CAD guy. If there is something you can't read let me know and I can email you a higher-res scan.

#26 11 years ago

Amazing! Since I lack the skill set to make my own...can i have a key to your home to use yours I will bring beer and pizza! Serious though. Your attention to detail is great!

#27 11 years ago

Man,
    Even Jesus is jealous.
    His looks like crap compared to yours!

carpenter.jpgcarpenter.jpg

Jesus:

"Damn that Strohz!"

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Man,
    Even Jesus is jealous.
    His looks like crap compared to yours!

Jesus:
    "Damn that Strohz!"

Priceless! Also, very, very tastefully done (your post content)

#29 11 years ago

That is really amazing. Great job!

#30 11 years ago

Super cool.. I look forward to seeing it in person soon!

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Jesus:

"Damn that Strohz!"

HAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!! Now THAT is a good thing to display on one's DMD.

#33 11 years ago

Lol, the post by NimblePin really cracked me up!!! At my house, it's always "Damn that TSR" as TaylorVA stopped by to play once and his initials are still on every game he touched

Thanks again for the compliments guys, the wheels are already turning on some other ideas...

#34 11 years ago

Pretty cool. Nice job.

8 months later
    #35 10 years ago

Very very nice. Just found my next pinball project. I gotta have one

That is awsome.

#36 10 years ago

that is awesome, I love it. I think I'll put it at the top of my project list.

Very well made, and thank you for sharing

#37 10 years ago

Thanks PMD for bringing this thread to the front page, going to build one of these.

#38 10 years ago

Now that is a very nice rotisserie. Thanks for sharing the pics and info.

#39 10 years ago

Lol, I always enjoy reading rotisserie threads and realized it was mine! Thanks for the nice comments, that thing has been solid as a rock and very useful. Another bonus of the design has been it easy to accessorize by adding modules. I bought some metal brackets from Rockler, and they just slide on and off the sides when I want them. Since my last post, I've made holders for screwdrivers/ nut drivers, pliers, and a soldering station platform. Check them out here:

pliers_holder.jpgpliers_holder.jpg screwdriver_holder.jpgscrewdriver_holder.jpg soldering_station_holder.jpgsoldering_station_holder.jpg tool_holders.jpgtool_holders.jpg
    #40 10 years ago

Damn!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

Lol, I always enjoy reading rotisserie threads and realized it was mine! Thanks for the nice comments, that thing has been solid as a rock and very useful. Another bonus of the design has been it easy to accessorize by adding modules. I bought some metal brackets from Rockler, and they just slide on and off the sides when I want them. Since my last post, I've made holders for screwdrivers/ nut drivers, pliers, and a soldering station platform. Check them out here:

pliers_holder.jpg 273 KB

screwdriver_holder.jpg 230 KB

soldering_station_holder.jpg 320 KB

tool_holders.jpg 257 KB

Well done Ed!!

4 months later
    #42 10 years ago

Meant to reply to this a while back, just awesome!

#44 10 years ago

I'll bet that makes some darn fine chicken...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-pinball-rotisserie-is-finished and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.