Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hopefully this OT "Off Topic" is OK with Pinside.

I have a huge Pet Peeve when searching for "Pinball" on Craigslist.

Locally (Northern Calif: San Francisco / Sacramento / Reno) we have several guys posting multiple times, every day, that has nothing to do with "Pinball". Search "Pinball" and these come up: Motor Homes / silver jewelry / art / mirrors / Business opportunity / Pool table etc)

Here are a few of the CL posts:

merced.craigslist.org link

fresno.craigslist.org link

sacramento.craigslist.org link

They use key words like "Pinball" (100's to 1,000's Key words) at the bottom of their CL post. It wouldn't be so bad... however, some of these guys are posting 5 / 10 / 20+ times a day. I even searched outside my San Francisco area to see these same ads in many other communities.

I like to look at Pinball items and not have to sift thru dozens of these posts daily to get there.

I wish there was a way to control this abuse.

Thoughts?

#2 2 years ago

People still use Craigslist?

#3 2 years ago

I just sold 3 pins off CL in the past few days.

#4 2 years ago

I'd say just flag the ad and move on.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I wish there was a way to control this abuse.
    Thoughts?

You can eliminate unwanted search results by entering a minus sign followed by a specific keyword that is found in an unwanted posting.

For example, here locally there are billiards stores that spam relentlessly, so I will search "pinball -billiards" and the results will exclude any postings that include the word "billiards."

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

For example, here locally there are billiards stores that spam relentlessly, so I will search "pinball -billiards" and the results will exclude any postings that include the word "billiards."

Thanks for that tip... I didn't know that

#7 2 years ago

I just sold 3 pins off CL in the past few days.

I also have sold many on CL.. I get more local people which works for me. I don't care for facebook just in general.

#8 2 years ago

I used to flag the bolo tie guy years ago. I can't believe he's still posting. He does about a dozen ads every were or so. None of them mention pinball

#9 2 years ago

It's amusing after an item sold, some sellers put an equal effort to change the subject to "SOLD" rather than just remove it.

It's like a humble brag that he sold his game. If the ad is removed, we can probably figure it out.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

People still use Craigslist?

Craigslist is back. Rules where I live, FB Marketplace turned to S%$^

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I used to flag the bolo tie guy years ago. I can't believe he's still posting. He does about a dozen ads every were or so. None of them mention pinball

@Cheddar... He's still has "pinball" as one of his keywords, at bottom of his ads. I pulled it up again this morning and used his as one of the 3 examples.

#13 2 years ago

Cheddar... He's still has "pinball" as one of his keywords, at bottom of his ads. I pulled it up again this morning and used his as one of the 3 examples.

Maybe they're hoping there's a crossover market, pinball guys might collect bolo ties too?

#14 2 years ago

It's interesting that non-pinball people know its a hot search and link to it.
    Still doesn't work and mainly pisses folks off to the point they wouldn't buy it whatever it is.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

You can eliminate unwanted search results by entering a minus sign followed by a specific keyword that is found in an unwanted posting.

This works for Google searches as well. There’s a whole bunch of “search hacks” you can use to really help with narrowing down your results

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Craigslist is back. Rules where I live, FB Marketplace turned to S%$^

FB Marketplace (FB in general too, but that's a conversation for another day) is the bane of my existence. I've sold cars on there before and people throw offers out there blindly without taking anything rational into consideration (the market value, the condition, etc.) One guy even lowballed me once (which caused me to say no) and then threw out a LOWER offer a few days later like nothing registered... We are doomed. Lol

#17 2 years ago

Try searching “arcade” in Sacramento

#18 2 years ago

The motorhome guy isnt making any friends in my book.Its like dishonest from the start.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-pet-peeve-re-craigslist-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.