(Topic ID: 201155)

My Paragon scoring displays are going nuts.

By embryonjohn

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2669 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Last night when playing, the 3rd player suddenly went dark. This morning it's alive again, but now all 5 displays have a rolling number 9 rolling from left to right across all the digits at the same time and sporadically blinking solid 9 across. In test mode it does the same thing as it runs through all of settings. It's tough to capture with a picture but I'm posting one. Where do I look first for the problem?

IMG_2669 (resized).JPGIMG_2669 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Display headers reflowed and display connector on mpu repinned?

Tried swapping the pias on the mpu?

#3 6 years ago

I would suggest unplugging the score displays one at a time and see if it goes away. If not move to the next thing in the chain. If it does, you've narrowed it to a display.

Shawn

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Display headers reflowed and display connector on mpu repinned?
Tried swapping the pias on the mpu?

Everything thing looks great. There's a new allteksystems board in there

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I would suggest unplugging the score displays one at a time and see if it goes away. If not move to the next thing in the chain. If it does, you've narrowed it to a display.
Shawn

Tried disconnecting individual display with no luck

#5 6 years ago

you usually get the rolling numbers when the displays are latched at the wrong time / failing to blank. If you have a new MPU installed its probably in the connectors, so redo the display latches, blank, bcd, and digit strobes at the top left MPU plug. If you have another bally/stern game you can try the MPU in the known working game to rule it out.

Its possible for a bad decoder chip on a display to effect other displays too even though there is resistors between them. So try each display one at time.

Make sure the header pin solder joints on the display boards themselves are good too. They break open a lot when the wiring harness flexes opening the backbox door.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

There's a new allteksystems board in there

That wouldn't affect either of those things

#7 6 years ago

Player 1 looks ok try unplugging them all and the plugging them back in 1 at a time starting with player 1.

2 months later
#8 6 years ago

I put in a (2nd) new MPU and a brand new driver board I culled from another game and still the number are rolling and driving me crazy. The connectors to the boards are minty and look perfect as the game was very very low use. I've unplugged all the displays to rule them out by trying individually and no luck. Don't know where to go on this.

#9 6 years ago

Have you also unplugged the credit/match display? As an above poster noted, if *any* of the displays has a bad chip it could affect the others. Beside that, I'd definitely take a closer look at the female connector that plugs in at the upper-left on the CPU board. Tug each wire, make sure you don't have a pin that's not locked into the housing that could cause intermittent/weak connection. I'd probably just re-pin that connector if it were my game. At very least that will eliminate that connector from the equation. I've just seen so many repairs on these machines ultimately boil down to connector issues. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-paragon-scoring-displays-are-going-nuts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.