Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_01201.jpg
    IMG_01161.jpg
    IMG_01171.jpg
    IMG_01191.jpg
    IMG_01231.jpg
    IMG_00841.jpg
    IMG_00851.jpg
    IMG_00791.jpg
    IMG_00811.jpg
    IMG_00801.jpg
    IMG_01141.jpg
    IMG_01151.jpg
    IMG_01221.jpg
    IMG_01261.jpg
    IMG_01271.jpg
    IMG_01251.jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

So just returned home from a week in Wildwood. As my reading had confirmed, not much to be had on the boardwalk. But figured I would post my findings for other pinheads that may be in need!

There is "randyland" which had some of the worst condition machines. Ever. I made the mistake of putting money into one without looking at it. Drop targets electrical taped down, pop bumpers not working...for those of you who don't know about Randy, google randyland. It's an interesting one. And absolutely no pictures allowed. I took my phone out and had someone magically appear right behind me reminding me no photos.

But rumor had it that there were more pins to be found on the boardwalk...

#2 8 years ago

There are two in the arcade across from the last pier , across from joe crab shack...iron man and twd...ironman was so dirty it made me sick lol

#3 8 years ago

So what games did you find?

#4 8 years ago

So I went further. WAY further. Damn it's a long boardwalk. I think someone said 2+ miles. And someone had mentioned Gateway arcade. And after digging all around...

What do I see tucked in a corner all alone?

IMG_01071.jpgIMG_01071.jpg

IMG_01061.jpgIMG_01061.jpg

#5 8 years ago

How excited was I? Well, my daughter went to TWD, but I figured I could play a fair game of Iron Man, right?

I think that is probably the filthiest machine. The worst shooter lane. I mean...just wow.

And the monger was stuck. Just high enough to get a ball trapped.

IMG_01121.jpgIMG_01121.jpg

IMG_01111.jpgIMG_01111.jpg

IMG_01091.jpgIMG_01091.jpg

#6 8 years ago

I was just in Ocean City NJ 2 weeks ago. there are quite a few pins in the boardwalk arcadees...

Jilly' has about a dozen pins.... (price per pin is $0.25 per play!)....
    - Brand new Stern Kiss
    - Stern Star Trek in overall nice shape, except for the left sling...
    - and a bunch of others. South Park, TSPP, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Junk Yard, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness (original and it shows), Theatre of Magic and a few others. Overall condition of the pins is not great.... but most of them played....

Hollywood arcade (normal pricing)
    Stern IJ, Sega Star Wars, Sega Batman, Family Guy, Simpsons Pinball Party
    I did not have time to play them.... but they were LED'd and appeared to be in a bit better shape....

I think there were 2 more pins at the north end of the boardwalk in an arcade, but did have time to play.

#7 8 years ago

I figured maybe if I go just a little further down maybe I'll find something else...

Hmm...this looks promising....

IMG_01251.jpgIMG_01251.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Somewhat surprised to see this collection inside. Pretty empty, but machines in good condition.

Loved me some EM action

IMG_01271.jpgIMG_01271.jpg

IMG_01261.jpgIMG_01261.jpg

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

The worst shooter lane. I mean...just wow.

Looks like that game went through "Sandy"

#10 8 years ago

And that was it for Wildwood.

Ocean Beach was the next choice. Took the half hour drive. Found one place that had a few machines which I forgot to take a picture of. There was a BDK, a FG, and a few others. I didn't play long because there were flies buzzing around and it was driving me nuts.

IMG_01151.jpgIMG_01151.jpg

IMG_01141.jpgIMG_01141.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Soooo, you're glad to be back....

#12 8 years ago

Then went to Jilly's. I knew there were pins there. And I knew they were $.25.

Thrilled to find a Kiss there. Spent a ton of time on it.

The drawback is that the floor here was shaky. Made for some interesting games.

IMG_01221.jpgIMG_01221.jpg

IMG_00791.jpgIMG_00791.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Got very happy when I saw the two rows of machines...

From a distance.

IMG_00801.jpgIMG_00801.jpg

IMG_00811.jpgIMG_00811.jpg

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

How excited was I? Well, my daughter went to TWD, but I figured I could play a fair game of Iron Man, right?
    I think that is probably the filthiest machine. The worst shooter lane. I mean...just wow.

IMG_01121.jpg IMG_01111.jpg IMG_01091.jpg

I will never understand how arcades let their machines get like that. It's not like those are cheap machines. We pinsiders know how easy it is to at the very least keep the playfield clean.
    I went to Yestercades in Red Bank, they had a Metallica pro that was just about as dirty as that Iron Man. Also, not one of their pins worked right. I offered to fix/maintain them for free and the manager said "Nah". I'll never go back there again.
    Shame on them. It's a sin.

#15 8 years ago

And then I got closer.

Oh the horror...

Poor ToM....

IMG_00851.jpgIMG_00851.jpg

IMG_00841.jpgIMG_00841.jpg

IMG_01231.jpgIMG_01231.jpg

#16 8 years ago

And besides how they looked...well, they played that way too.

Left flipper on POTC was 75% dead. JY had no GI. MB..well, I've never actually seen drac track wear go right into scoop wear.

Pretty sad.

But on the other hand I was just thrilled to see pins in the wild!

IMG_01191.jpgIMG_01191.jpg

IMG_01171.jpgIMG_01171.jpg

IMG_01161.jpgIMG_01161.jpg

IMG_01201.jpgIMG_01201.jpg

#17 8 years ago

And that's it folks!

#18 8 years ago

Well that was depressing.

#19 8 years ago

Sad I know Brigantine NJ has a small arcade that has a couple pins, I believe it was WPT and Monopoly last time i was there. I think its two tokens per game, and tokens are 3/$1 or somewhat cheeper if you drop a larger bill. I am not sure of the condition or if they are still there since its been about 2 years. I'll be there in a couple weeks and will let you know!

#20 8 years ago

I have not been impressed with any location pins in years. I see the trend of neglect still continues *sigh*

#21 8 years ago

To put another spin on this, on one hand it's depressing seeing the machines in this condition..dirty, worn.... but there is a reason these machines are in this condition, and that's because people ARE playing them! THAT is a good thing! Sometimes wear on the playfield is a sign of a GREAT game that people have loved to play!

These machines are doing the EXACT job that they were designed to do - be played out in the wild!

But of course, if people have a bad experience with a non working machine, it may turn them off from playing again - so that is the flip side. If the machine works and is just dirty, well not quite so bad!

#22 8 years ago

I never realized the Pinside ball logo was from Junkyard. Pretty cool!

#23 8 years ago

Is Jilly's the place that has the train going around inside? (up along the ceiling)

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

IMG_01121.jpg IMG_01111.jpg IMG_01091.jpg

I told you it would make you sick lol....dirty!!!

#25 8 years ago

Was at the only arcade in Stone Harbor last week and experienced the same thing. Only two pins (TZ and TAF) but both were unplayable. Dead and stuck flippers, dead slings, etc. What a shame.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Is Jilly's the place that has the train going around inside? (up along the ceiling)

Not that I saw...but I have been known to miss details on things

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Jillys is next to Manco and Manco pizza on 12th street of the boardwalk. I'll be there Friday to play 2 games (Star Trek and Kiss) the others are so beat they aren't worth 25 cents to play Don't get me wrong I admire them for having so many pinballs but at the same time I detest non-working/beat to crap games. I'd rather play the skee ball for 10 cents a game, lol.
    The best time to visit Jillys is when they get the new game. It goes down hill after that.

I also like the other arcade (Hollywood) 2 blocks down that has 6 pinballs that work and look way better at 50 cents per play.

#28 8 years ago

Yeah...it's tough to see pins on route that aren't maintained. There are times that I just wish they would give me the keys to the machines, a few hours, and at least I could do some CPR on them.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from thefoxxman:

To put another spin on this, on one hand it's depressing seeing the machines in this condition..dirty, worn.... but there is a reason these machines are in this condition, and that's because people ARE playing them! THAT is a good thing! Sometimes wear on the playfield is a sign of a GREAT game that people have loved to play!
    These machines are doing the EXACT job that they were designed to do - be played out in the wild!
    But of course, if people have a bad experience with a non working machine, it may turn them off from playing again - so that is the flip side. If the machine works and is just dirty, well not quite so bad!

Doesn't take long for playfields to look bad when general maintenance is neglected. Check back on that Kiss pin in a year. I think we'll be appalled.

#30 8 years ago

Where was that Lucky 777 place in Wildwood?

#31 8 years ago

Best place for pinball in NJ is definitely Silverball Museum. It is a shame they have such an anti-Stern bias there. But that's why I also go to Modern Pinball (90 minute travel time).

#32 8 years ago

And now you understand why I don't even go to the Jersey shore.

That, and it's full of people from Jersey. If I want to be wall-to-wall with a bunch of goombahs from the 'hood blasting Bon Jovi in their black Camaros, I'll just stay home.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbott1701:

Where was that Lucky 777 place in Wildwood?

It's also on the boardwalk. It's a few stores past the Gateway arcade.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

And now you understand why I don't even go to the Jersey shore.
    That, and it's full of people from Jersey. If I want to be wall-to-wall with a bunch of goombahs from the 'hood blasting Bon Jovi in their black Camaros, I'll just stay home.

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah!

I live at the shore, I'm Italian, I have a Camaro (black racing stripes), and I listen to Bon Jovi.

What you're describing doesn't live at the shore, they visit the shore.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah!
    I live at the shore, I'm Italian, I have a Camaro (black racing stripes), and I listen to Bon Jovi.
    What you're describing doesn't live at the shore, they visit the shore.

Precisely. They all live in my town, which is why I said I could just stay home.

(FYI: My town is reality TV hell. Cake Boss people everywhere, Jerseylicious girls, and Snooki two blocks over. God help us all...)

#36 8 years ago

NJ Gecko's report is right on. I have had a home in West Wildwood for 28 years. All things pinball keep getting worse. The Iron Man has been at the Gateway 26 arcade - probably since it was released. I did get a few good games in on Walking Dead. Each summer I walk the length of the boards, hoping someone may have brought in one of the new pins, but TWD is the only new one within the entire 1.8 mile boardwalk. Randy's pins played well when he first took over the Boardwalk Mall location, but those days are over.

OC report is also correct. Jilly's pins always play ok if you can get there in May or June. After that, forget it. Jilly's had a WOZ when they were first being released 2 years ago. I did not see it there, so am assuming it is gone.

Harry Irvin

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

It's also on the boardwalk. It's a few stores past the Gateway arcade.

Thanks, I'll be there in a couple weeks.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Precisely. They all live in my town, which is why I said I could just stay home.
    (FYI: My town is reality TV hell. Cake Boss people everywhere, Jerseylicious girls, and Snooki two blocks over. God help us all...)

That makes sense.

Sunday night, one of the real housewives of NJ sat next to us at Texas Roadhouse in Holmdel. If it wasn't for my cousin recognizing her (I don't watch the show), I wouldn't know who she was. And her kids were completely out of control too.

I can't wait until the reality TV fad is over. The last thing we need is more Kim Kardashians.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

And then I got closer.
    Oh the horror...
    Poor ToM....

IMG_00851.jpg IMG_00841.jpg IMG_01231.jpg

Jesus wept.

#40 8 years ago

Yes...but I do give them points for re-using the broken slingshot plastic as a ramp cover

#41 8 years ago

Hard to believe Wildwood used to be Pinball Mecca. Always lines at the new pinball games.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Precisely. They all live in my town,

LOL! Very funny but true. - lots and lots of goombahs in E Hanover well before the recent Snooki and Buddy V invasion.

#43 8 years ago

I go to silverball once every other month. It is definitely best to go during the winter time when machines are very well maintained. During the summer, they leave a bit to be desired.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Hard to believe Wildwood used to be Pinball Mecca. Always lines at the new pinball games.

I thought seaside was more the mecca, at least back in the late 70s and early 80s.

#45 8 years ago

Yes, Seaside was great too. We used to go to the owners on the Boardwalk and ask then when a new game would come in. It seems there was something new every time we went down there...

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinLen83:

I go to silverball once every other month. It is definitely best to go during the winter time when machines are very well maintained. During the summer, they leave a bit to be desired.

During the summer months, they are overwhelmed. With the amount of people in there, it makes it difficult to work on them.

The winter? Games for the most part are perfect in the winter. During the winter, I'll watch how they fix stuff so I can learn how to do it as well.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

During the summer months, they are overwhelmed. With the amount of people in there, it makes it difficult to work on them.
    The winter? Games for the most part are perfect in the winter. During the winter, I'll watch how they fix stuff so I can learn how to do it as well.

Dan is a great guy and doesn't usually mind an audience.

It's nearly impossible to keep up with all the maintenence during the summer. I can't fault them for falling a bit behind

#48 8 years ago

Silverball Museum hands down the best pinball place on the East coast. Can't say all of their games are perfect but these places make their business look like a gold mine.

#49 8 years ago

Spent the day at island Beach State Park yesterday, grabbing some dinner on the boardwalk in Seaside. Came upon the Retro Cade, just past the ride pier. Had a bunch of arcade games (maybe 12) , a couple multi-game cabinets and 3 pinball machines. From what I could tell everything worked and they were in OK condition. When I walked in the woman said everything worked and to get her if something stopped or was not working - very cool in my book! Roller Coaster Tycoon, Hook and Time Machine were the pins, all in decent condition. Ended up spending an hour there and played a bunch and had a great time. 10000X better than playing the crap at Randyland a few weeks ago in Wildwood. I never played any of these and only know of Hook from the threads here when pirate themes are compared. I really enjoyed it! Fun pin. In fact all 3 were fun to different degrees, although I enjoyed RCT and Hook more that Time Machine. My pinball playing is casual and I am not good and just want to have fun, really. I am practicing to be a better player so maybe if I was better I would not like them as much but it was a good way to end the day for sure.

#50 8 years ago

Thanks for reporting

I was at Rehoboth beach a few weeks ago and found a WOZ on the boardwalk there and got super excited...but then was super disappointed when the left flipper was broken.

I don't understand how a business will spend $8k+ on something and not do any maintenance. I probably would have put $50 in the thing by the end of the weekend if it worked.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-nj-shore-pin-report and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.