Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by grh450
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1030822.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Back a month ago a purchased a NIB Tron Pro from goatdan. At the time he asked me to review it when I got a chance, so here it is. I waited a month so I could get some mods and LEDs and some time with it to really get into it. This is a review of not only the game, but of the whole Stern NIB purchase experience which Im sure many people may be interested to know.

I was a Tron hater at one point. When I first started getting into this hobby, I thought it looked plain next to other titles and it was really difficult and pissed me off. Fast forward 7 months and my opinion changed. I still thought the playfield was a little lacking in the toy department, but there was a huge mod scene going on. Not only that but I had started to REALLY like difficult games.

I had never bought a NIB, and had even said I never would. I thought they were too expensive, and you can get multiple used pins for the price of the NIB ones. However, my situation has changed a bit in the last year....so I decided what the hell lets do it.

----------------------------------
    IMG_0764.JPGIMG_0764.JPG

I worked out a deal with Dan, but I didn't have a way to pick it up. I don't own a car, and he lives up in the Milwaukee area. Luckily, Gweempose offered to help me out and drive me up there and bring it back. We arrived late and talked to Dan for a little bit, but as we went to fit the game into Gweem's vehicle... It didn't fit. Gweem and I had failed to account that the box and packing made the NIB pin larger physically than it would be out of a box. We mulled our options, and dediced to remove some packing material from the box and squeeze it in tight, rather than removing it from the box in the driveway. Long story short, we got it back to my office around midnight. I decided to unbox it when I got back to work on monday when I would have my cabinet protectors.

I'll stop here and make a list of all the mods/aftermarket additions I purchased.

-Full Cointaker premium LED kit
    -Felt cabinet protectors
    -Tron mini-arcade 2.1 upgrade mod
    -Cliffy Ramp protectors
    -Mantis arcade scoop protectors
    -full white rubber set (red flipper rubbers)
    -mylar flipper button protector

So I unboxed the beast and set it up in our conference room, where I could work on it while not bothering my coworkers.

After playing a few games, I started adding things, starting with the white rubbers and the LED kit. Tron was very easy to take apart and service after the nightmare I went through shopping out my LOTR. I guess that is a positive side to having a much less complicated playfield.

I was surprised that the Cointaker LED kit was not more colorful. The inserts weren't color matched, and the whole thing was mostly cool and warm white LEDS. I made an order with pinballlife to replace some GI leds with 3-led and 4-led in orange, blue, and a couple greens. The premiums from CT looked great with no ghosting. I just wish they were color matched.

The mantis scoop protector was next and pretty hassle free. A friend complains that perhaps it makes the scoop shot 'brick' more often. Thats not my experience however.

Soon arrived the Cliffy ramp protectors and the Arcade mod. I will say that I was super paranoid about breaking the ramps, as this game has some very quick and precise shots. If you miss...bang your ramp entrance could crack or break. So I put those ramp protectors on ASAP and they now feel alot more solid. My worries are gone.

The Arcade mod is VERY COOL. It looks fantastic and was easy to install. However it doesn't really add to the game and its easy to forget its there while playing. I will say that it way increases the curb appeal of the game. I always get comments on it.

While this was all getting installed in the course of a few weeks, the unexpected happened. The game started malfunctioning. See the following thread for a rundown.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-seems-to-randomly-add-a-ball-end-the-ball

I found it very disappointing that a game less than a few weeks old would have a problem like this. Sure, it was only a 8 dollar replacement, but it was stressful for me when I didn't know what was going on and I had dropped so much money on it already. But in the end: Hey its pinball, this stuff happens.

The game plays fanstastic. Its exactly what I was hoping for, and its been a great journey. Would I buy a NIB again? I think so, It was a little expensive (especially after all the protective measures you have to take), but with the way the hobby is trending these new Pros are about the same price as many of the used pins you will see out there. I was very interested in an XMenLE until I saw the playfield, I think its too similar to Tron for me to set it up in the office next to this Tron and my friend Nick's Iron Man.

Im still waiting to see what ramp EL wire technique I want to use, and the recognizer mod is right up my alley. Meanwhile the Flynn sign and the Hallmark lightcycles aren't too interesting to me. But I think this one is a keeper for at least a few years and I encourage you guys to come over and play it one day.

IMG_0780.JPGIMG_0780.JPG

#2 11 years ago

argh, I have no idea why those photos are sideways. They are straight on my computer. Mods? any ideas?

#3 11 years ago

Great review and great looking game. Glad everything worked out and you are enjoying tron!

#4 11 years ago

Awesome to hear! I'm glad to hear that my little bit of an error netted someone a pin that they seem to really like! I still haven't opened mine, and at least near-term I don't think that I'm going to be able to (there is a long story here that I'm not sharing now... but will probably post another hint about later tonight ) for a while, but I'm glad that everything worked out!

So... what about the game plays so fantastic? My whole issue is that I've got one NIB that due to circumstances, I don't yet feel 'safe' opening, but ... I have barely played the game at all! I've read other threads, and I'm still not quite so sure what appeals about this game to everyone... other than the fact that it is great

I also believed like you did that I would never purchase NIB, but a few things lately have changed that slightly, and by the end of summer I should have two NIB machines... but, depending on some other factors, they'll be staying that way until other things change. Enjoy!

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I was surprised that the Cointaker LED kit was not more colorful. The inserts weren't color matched, and the whole thing was mostly cool and warm white LEDS. I made an order with pinballlife to replace some GI leds with 3-led and 4-led in orange, blue, and a couple greens. The premiums from CT looked great with no ghosting. I just wish they were color matched.

I just placed an order yesterday with CT and PBL to get some LEDs to test. I almost went with the CT kit until I saw they had alot of cool and warm white bulbs. I plan on ordering them to match

Thanks for the review.

#6 11 years ago

Glad we have another Tron believer among us. From pics alone the game does look pretty "simple" but as us Tron owners know, that is simply not the case. It is a very fast paced difficult game that is a BLAST to play!!!

I just thank god that I had the itch to pull the trigger on my First NIB (Tron LE)

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I just thank god that I had the itch to pull the trigger on my First NIB (TRON LE)

I have no regret in getting a PRO and once I am done it will be just as good as the LE IMO. If I was in the hobby when I could have gotten a NIB TRON LE at pre-order pricing I would have. I am just glad the only game feature that is missing is one multi ball. Unlike like XMEN or some other of Stern recent releases...

#8 11 years ago

The Premium CT LEDs are great with little to no ghosting. Lots of color choices now for matching and the flex ones are great in less reachable locations. The PBL ghostbusters are also very good. I used both companies about 50/50.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

So... what about the game plays so fantastic?

The ball just glides over the playfield right now. Its like its on glass. Iv been wiping it down with Novus 1 every once in a while. It can play really fast, and hitting the shots is incredibly satisfying. Its possible to get some ramp combos going that add up cumulative to the 'End of Line' Jackpot. It just plays really well.

I do wish the programing had a little more going on. Its not bad, but Lyman supposedly isn't done with it so I'll reserve judgement

#10 11 years ago

The ball just glides over the playfield right now. Its like its on glass.

I waxed my PF and WOW... Even better IMO...

#11 11 years ago

Can't go wrong with tron

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

I have no regret in getting a PRO

I wouldn't have any regrets about getting a Pro either.... (Had I not snagged my LE when I did I would have bought a pro)

All the el wire mods coming out e.t.c. will make it look pretty sweet.

At the end of the day this will be one of the few pro's that will at least hold it's value / increase over time.

#13 11 years ago

thinking about selling my TRON....BUT AC/DC is a whole nuvva story

#14 11 years ago

I do wish the programing had a little more going on. Its not bad, but Lyman supposedly isn't done with it so I'll reserve judgement

No offense, but you didn't mention any of the modes or your software likes/dislikes in your review. How can you wish for more programming when you don't even seem to have a feel for what's there already? I'm glad you're enjoying it, but you shouldn't expect more software updates. Especially if you're not sure what you want. Don't believe everything you read about the software not being done. Find out for yourself. I like the game just fine as it is.

Have you got to SOS yet? What's your high score?

#15 11 years ago

Meanwhile the Flynn sign and the Hallmark lightcycles aren't too interesting to me

I thought the same way about the Flynn sign but decided to get it one day when I was placing an order with pinball life. I am really glad I did as it is a great mod and really adds to the game.

I always liked the Hallmark cycles - I just got done putting them in and it gives the game some pop.

P1030822.JPGP1030822.JPG

#16 11 years ago

got all the mods and love it. everything integrates well.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

got all the mods and love it. everything integrates well.

pics...or it didn't happen

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-nib-tron-experience-review and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.