Topic poll

“My next pat lawlor title????”

• Willy wonka 13 votes
    34%
  • Dialed in 25 votes
    66%

(Multiple choice - 38 votes)

#1 3 years ago

Hey everyone. Appreciate everyone's input on this website. I love being on here. And although it can be an expensive hobby I find it not bad (considering what I've spent on classic cars)

. I am a 3 pin guy....but I have extra space for another pin while I fix up/play my tails of the crypt for a couple months.
My whirlwind will stay with me(got my gf into pinball and maybe my favorite game)
I am getting monopoly tomorrow. (Sold DE simpsons for it)
Tales of the cypt and me just connect. Something about layout and callouts brings me back to being a kid (which i feel a pinball should do)....its original though and does break down from time to time.

Anyways..... I love tough games I would kill for a widebody. I am thinking of spending 10k canadian on a NICE machine...I hear you can't go wrong with dialed in. I have a twighlight zone 5 minutes from my house and an addams family (competing for gc currently) soo i am tossed up if i should get a willy wonka or dialed in. I am putting it in my apartment so I kind of want on my gf can enjoy more. (Casual player pin) surprising she crushes it on my whirlwind which is set up super fast.

#2 3 years ago

This thread needs a poll.

I vote Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (CE) due to theme despite never having played it yet.
I have played Dialed In and it's a great game. I consider it the next in his disaster series of Whirlwind and Earthshaker

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Reid420k:

Hey everyone. Appreciate everyone's input on this website. I love being on here. And although it can be an expensive hobby I find it not bad (considering what I've spent on classic cars)
. I am a 3 pin guy....but I have extra space for another pin while I fix up/play my tails of the crypt for a couple months.
My whirlwind will stay with me(got my gf into pinball and maybe my favorite game)
I am getting monopoly tomorrow. (Sold DE simpsons for it)
Tales of the cypt and me just connect. Something about layout and callouts brings me back to being a kid (which i feel a pinball should do)....its original though and does break down from time to time.
Anyways..... I love tough games I would kill for a widebody. I am thinking of spending 10k canadian on a NICE machine...I hear you can't go wrong with dialed in. I have a twighlight zone 5 minutes from my house and an addams family (competing for gc currently) soo i am tossed up if i should get a willy wonka or dialed in. I am putting it in my apartment so I kind of want on my gf can enjoy more. (Casual player pin) surprising she crushes it on my whirlwind which is set up super fast.

You like tough games + you like lawlor + you like widebodies = Willy Wonka.

EDIT: oops, forgot WW isn’t a wide body. It still gets my vote. I’m not keen to either theme but the way Joe coded it made the theme better for pinball (IMO).

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

This thread needs a poll.
I vote Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (CE) due to theme despite never having played it yet.
I have played Dialed In and it's a great game. I consider it the next in his disaster series of Whirlwind and Earthshaker

Thanks added poll. Love the disaster series. Hense why I am so drawn to dialed in..... but I would love everyone's opinion. I think it would be good to try wonka. Searching forms i hear people say dialed in is just smooth as butter for flow

#5 3 years ago

Dialed In! It’s one of his best pins. For me his top 3 are
1 and his best pin Banzai Run
2 whirlwind
3 is dialed in
Wonka shoots fine but I don’t think the theme is very well integrated and some of the sounds it makes are annoying.

#6 3 years ago

I love the movie, but Wonka is probably my least favourite theme to ever come out of modern pinball, and I own DI.

#7 3 years ago

I have no idea why really but Wonka I thought was tons of fun....

I guess Im not as put off on theme and sounds then most.

As far as game play goes I thought it was great and I usually do not like JJ games in that regard.

Its not a widebody though... probably why it plays better.

Love some TZ also...

#8 3 years ago

I just picked up a Wonka and have a lot of time on Dialed In. Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either, but, in my opinion, I’d rather have Wonka. Wonka is absolutely gorgeous. It has a solid theme and is a great shooter. I also think it’s misunderstood and you have to shift your mind set to fully appreciate it. It’s not a pin where you work your way through modes with movie clips that tell a story. It’s a scoring pin where you have to complete all kinds of challenges to advance and score well. If that type of pin is to your liking, then you will very much enjoy Wonka.

#9 3 years ago

I had the same predicament.
If you’re sure and truly “love tough games” get wonka, it is the tougher game of the two.

#10 3 years ago

So far my fav Lawlor pin is Whirlwind--I'd go with that one. If you are stuck on a WB look for a nice TZ, probably the best use of the extra space ever.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

If you’re sure and truly “love tough games” get wonka

I will agree with this statement. Wonka is on the tougher side of the spectrum, so take that into consideration.

#12 3 years ago

I’m still blown away every time I start a game at how much was put into TZ. It’s insane. Owned DI and it’s a really fun game and a nice shooter. Wonka did nothing for me but I didn’t really dig too deep into the code. They layout was just ok. Whirlwind is awesome of course and I’m also a big fan of RS. My vote would be TZ but I’m not sure what they’re going for up there. 7500 usd would be the minimum I’d pay for a TZ here because I’d want it to be playing well and we all know how many things can go wrong with them. Edit: Just re-read your question and I answered a question you weren’t asking haha. I’d go Dialed In.

#13 3 years ago

I’d definitely go DI as well. It’s one of the best shooters I’ve ever played, is absolutely packed with cool toys and ramps, the light show is amazing, and it never seems to get old (at least for my kids and I who are very average players at best). I’ve had quite a few pins through our gameroom and if one were ever to be bolted it’d have to be DI. Love the look of WW and have a fair amount of time on it, but something is just missing with it. Theme integration isn’t great IMO if that sort of thing matters to you and neither is the sound/music. Honestly I know you didn’t ask but I’d take a Hobbit over WW any day and it’s a WB although not a Lawlor so doesn’t fit there. Go with DI you won’t be disappointed!

1 week later
#14 3 years ago

Bought a WW for our rental service because of the theme. My first pinball machine was TZ (still own it after 5 years) and WW has that feel. Its a super smooth shooting game which feels like a Cadillac.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-next-pat-lawlor-title?hl=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.