IMG_0005-884.JPG
IMG_0004-842.JPG
IMG_3771.GIF
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
20150303_171425.jpg
20150301_132347.jpg
image-522.jpg
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 9 years ago

Received mine today #10/30
Looks great,better in person for sure.
Great job Aurich

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#402 9 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Received mine today #10/30
Looks great,better in person for sure.
Great job Aurich

Wow, sled dog delivered too?! Glad you're enjoying it.

Does anyone have a cliffy on their magnet and the captive ball? Someone thought they were getting some bouncebacks up into the hammer, and I suspect it's the cliffy + captive ball causing air balls, I've heard of others having this problem.

Some people took the captive ball off. Personally I'd remove the cliffy, I don't think it's necessary myself.

#403 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Does anyone have a cliffy on their magnet and the captive ball? Someone thought they were getting some bouncebacks up into the hammer, and I suspect it's the cliffy + captive ball causing air balls, I've heard of others having this problem.
Some people took the captive ball off. Personally I'd remove the cliffy, I don't think it's necessary myself.

I have a Mylar circle for the magnet,which I haven't installed yet.
I should have done it when the hammer was off,doh.

Took those sled dogs a while to get here

#404 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had the cliffy around my magnet and was getting tons of airballs off of the captive ball. I removed the cliffy and no more airballs.

#405 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I had the cliffy around my magnet and was getting tons of airballs off of the captive ball. I removed the cliffy and no more airballs.

I don't really see the purpose of the cliffy on the magnet myself. And if it's interfering with the game, then I'd definitely axe it.

#406 9 years ago

sorry it didn't help anyone I try hard to make only useful protection. I'm leaving it on my own game since it only airballs into the captive block and would rather keep the wood around the mag protected. But I can see others not liking the effect on gameplay. If you all do remove it please soften the adhesive with a citrus solvent. slinking out of here...

#407 9 years ago

Persoanlly I'm going to install mine tomorrow, I always equate the cliffy magnet protection with pinball, to me, the games I play and see on route have em and seeing them makes it feel more authentic. Worst case scenario I'll add some Mylar around the cliffy to help the ball transition better. Small price to pay to make the area look "right" to me the bare magnet look seems wrong...

#408 9 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

sorry it didn't help anyone I try hard to make only useful protection. I'm leaving it on my own game since it only airballs into the captive block and would rather keep the wood around the mag protected. But I can see others not liking the effect on gameplay. If you all do remove it please soften the adhesive with a citrus solvent. slinking out of here...

No need to slink, Cliffy I currently have, and have had, more cliffy protectors on my machines than I can count. I love them and the protector for the Metallica hammer magnet is the only one I've ever had an issue with. Thanks for the tip about the citrus solvent, I'll remember that in the future. I used a hair dryer this time to heat the protector and was able to get it removed without any damage.

#409 9 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Aww, you're the best, you help so many people! I don't think that there's a need for a cliffy in that one spot personally, but without you so many games would be hurting. I have cliffys myself, just not on Metallica.

#410 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Aww, you're the best, you help so many people!

Amen to that.

1 month later
#411 8 years ago

If there anyone who has a hammer and would like to sell it, please PM me. Thanks (Posted with Aurich's approval)

#412 8 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

If there anyone who has a hammer and would like to sell it, please PM me. Thanks (Posted with Aurich's approval)

Dang I want in on some of that action too....... I just took delivery of my METLE last week & Love it BIG Time !!

#413 8 years ago

I sent an email to my friend who has the master version to see if he thinks he'll have a chance to look into casting them still or not.

2 weeks later
#414 8 years ago

I want one! Would love to buy one of these.

On a related note, does everything function properly if you remove the hammer?

#415 8 years ago
Quoted from GaryMcT:

I want one! Would love to buy one of these.
On a related note, does everything function properly if you remove the hammer?

I sent a status update email to my friend who's looking at casting them, see if I can report back. Which sounds just like the last update I wrote! I've talked to him since then, and he was going to look at it. I'm guessing he hasn't yet.

Everything functions fine without the hammer. You can even set the code to have it play just like the Pro if you want.

#416 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I sent an email to my friend who has the master version to see if he thinks he'll have a chance to look into casting them still or not.

Aurich, thanks for looking into this. Question, I was thinking about mounting it on the pro model, any thoughts on how to pull it off?

#417 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Aurich, thanks for looking into this. Question, I was thinking about mounting it on the pro model, any thoughts on how to pull it off?

Just mounted? Or interactive?

I don't have easy access to a Pro to really look at it, but I imagine it would need some kind of bracket that could attach to the plastic next to the snake, that would hold a tube that mounted up inside the hammer.

Interactive would of course be a lot trickier.

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just mounted? Or interactive?
I don't have easy access to a Pro to really look at it, but I imagine it would need some kind of bracket that could attach to the plastic next to the snake, that would hold a tube that mounted up inside the hammer.
Interactive would of course be a lot trickier.

Thanks, just thinking about mounting it for aesthetics.

#419 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Thanks, just thinking about mounting it for aesthetics.

I would think you could 3D print a bracket, with a socket for the tube. I can help with any measurements as far as the hammer part goes, but the Pro end would be up to you.

#420 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I sent a status update email to my friend who's looking at casting them, see if I can report back. Which sounds just like the last update I wrote! I've talked to him since then, and he was going to look at it. I'm guessing he hasn't yet.
Everything functions fine without the hammer. You can even set the code to have it play just like the Pro if you want.

What time is it there? Just bought a Met premium and read this thread. Now all that is needed is the improved hammer. Aurich, you know it's. ..giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#421 8 years ago

Can't touch this!

#422 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Can't touch this!

Please Aurich, don't hurt 'em!

1 week later
#423 8 years ago

I would like one please.

#424 8 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

I would like one please.

I have no idea what's up with the other version, my friend hasn't answered my last email to him. Might need to figure out option B for getting them made, I'm just so busy right now I haven't been able to make it a priority.

#425 8 years ago

If there ever will be one more run, I am in for one.

#426 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

If there ever will be one more run, I am in for one.

DITTO'S !

#427 8 years ago

Well there definitely won't be another run of the design I did for people, that was a limited thing and won't happen again. But I would be happy to do a run of the solid cast version if I can get that to happen. People have offered to 3D print it, but that's not high enough quality for my standards. And it's a really inefficient way to make a bunch anyways. Casting just makes way more sense.

#428 8 years ago

put me on the non-existent list for whatever future run you do.

#429 8 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

put me on the non-existent list for whatever future run you do.

#430 8 years ago

Sounds like we may need about 50 made to satisfy demand.

#431 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Sounds like we may need about 50 made to satisfy demand.

Would love one of these as well.
Couldn't swing the cost of the original but, damn did it look fine!

#432 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well there definitely won't be another run of the design I did for people, that was a limited thing and won't happen again. But I would be happy to do a run of the solid cast version if I can get that to happen. People have offered to 3D print it, but that's not high enough quality for my standards. And it's a really inefficient way to make a bunch anyways. Casting just makes way more sense.

I think you should alter the design slightly and offer up another limited run. best of both worlds for those that got on the first list and those that missed out (or you chose to ignore [hint, hint]

#433 8 years ago

Yep, put me on the double secret probation waiting list as well.

520947.jpg520947.jpg
#434 8 years ago

I am in, when and if.

#435 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I think you should alter the design slightly and offer up another limited run. best of both worlds for those that got on the first list and those that missed out (or you chose to ignore [hint, hint]

Heh. The truth is I simply don't have time to attempt something as crazy as that first run again, it was a ton of work hand sculpting every single one etc. Definitely a limited edition project.

I apologize for not being able to get this other idea going, I've been so busy with work and Alien and trying to take care of my other pinball stuff that I just haven't been able to make it a priority. This is all side hobby stuff for me, but I do love it, and I think it's a great upgrade to the game, so I haven't given up.

Problem is my friend who was going to try casting them is basically as busy as me, so between the two of us there just hasn't been much time to tackle it. I might have to find someone else to cast, but that means taking the time to do it, figure out the costs, etc.

#436 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I might have to find someone else to cast

Are you going to California Extreme? I could help you get a cast. PM if your interested.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Are you going to California Extreme? I could help you get a cast. PM if your interested.

Not sure if I can make it, but I'd like to since I missed PAGG. Have to see.

I just heard back from my friend, he's going to get the materials together to try it. I'll report back if there's progress. Thanks for the offer, we'll see what happens!

#438 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll report back if there's progress.

Np anytime. I'd suggest casting it with a 3 (maybe 4) part mold, cap a piece of the PVC and clear tape one end near the inside top, split the mold it up the side 50/50 lengthwise. I would make the mold out of Smooth-On Rebound 40 which you can pick up at Reynolds Supply there in LA. A 2lb kit should do it. I'd cast it in Smooth-on 65d. Smooth-on has a lot of video's on casting and molds. A quick watch of any of these should get you there in no time.

My guess is with some foamboard, a bit of clay, and a hot glue gun we could knock out a mold in an hour or so.

#439 8 years ago

Great work Aurich, very nice looking paint. I am painting a Monster Bash set of figures for a friend and am wondering about finishing sprays. I normally use a matte finish on my gaming miniatures, but I see most people clear coating those figures for MB. I'd really rather not clear coat them and I like the matte look on yours. What spray did you use and what is your confidence like in the paint holding up to ball strikes? Did you just spray them with a bunch of coats? Thanks for any advice you can give!

#440 8 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

Great work Aurich, very nice looking paint. I am painting a Monster Bash set of figures for a friend and am wondering about finishing sprays. I normally use a matte finish on my gaming miniatures, but I see most people clear coating those figures for MB. I'd really rather not clear coat them and I like the matte look on yours. What spray did you use and what is your confidence like in the paint holding up to ball strikes? Did you just spray them with a bunch of coats? Thanks for any advice you can give!

I prefer a matte look myself, glossy tends to look cheesy to me in most cases. For my custom Sparky I finished him matte, but then gloss coated his tongue and eyes, it works in the right places. But for instance I think that Dr. Frankenstein looks weird with a shiny lab coat. Skin and cloth are rarely shiny.

For the hammers I believe I just used a Krylon matte clear finish. I did three coats I think. The can will have directions about multiple coats, but I think you just wait 20 minutes between.

As far as ball strikes go, I mean there's only so much paint on plastic is going to withstand a heavy metal sphere smashing into it. But yes, I'm happy with how it holds up. You can handle it all you want. I painted my Metallica custom shooter rod and coated with the same matte finish, and it's holding up great to being grabbed all the time.

#441 8 years ago

Sounds great, thanks a lot! I agree about the glossy look, especially coming from gaming miniatures background, no one finishes them glossy.

#442 8 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

Sounds great, thanks a lot! I agree about the glossy look, especially coming from gaming miniatures background, no one finishes them glossy.

Exactly. I used to paint WH40K minis myself. The Hammer of Justice sculpts used all my old skills, dry brushing, washes, etc.

#443 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I would make the mold out of Smooth-On Rebound 40

Sorry, would actually recommend rebound 20 vs 40. 40 is a a bit stiffer, think eraser vs rubber band, and that will help with de-molding.

Quoted from Aurich:

I mean there's only so much paint on plastic is going to withstand a heavy metal sphere smashing into it.

Isn't there worry that when the clear does start to degrade or flake it will largely go un-noticed until it gets to the color, by then the clear will work like a mild abrasive?

I'd be interested to know if that actually is a problem or one I'm imagining.

I'd like to pearl or flake and maybe dye a ramp or two. I was thinking of doing it just on the back. Still transparent but a bit more pimp.

#444 8 years ago

The reality is the ball doesn't hit the hammer. You'd have to have one hell of a weird airball to get a ball strike. So I'm really not at all concerned about it really.

#445 8 years ago

I figured you might be a mini painter by the look of your work on the hammer. Some of the MB figures are more likely to get hit by the ball than others, so maybe for the ones in the direct line of fire I'll make sure to get some extra protection on there.

1 week later
#446 8 years ago

Just a little update: talked with my friend last night about casting the solid versions of the hammer. He's got some free time now to look at it, he's just been slammed like me. Casting material has been ordered, mold making has started, we'll see what we can do with it.

Might be a little bit before I have a true status update still, we want to make sure this is going to work before promising anything, but I did want to make sure the people who've been asking knew it wasn't dead.

I'll start a new thread when there's actually "news", but no point in doing that now without anything to show.

#447 8 years ago

I'm in for one when you have it. I didn't really want to add to your burden on the first run considering the time you were putting into them; but I'm totally in for something "mass produced" based on your work.

Now, what I need is some vinyl with a picture of an Alien, cut out to size right over the elevator under the hammer.

2 months later
#448 8 years ago

just checking back here for any news ? I know you guys a real busy so no pressure just wondering....... gonna take my Sparky out this weekend & send him to the Modfather for "modifications" which I will share when finished but , I sure would be super stoked to get a better looking hammer in there too

#449 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

just checking back here for any news ? I know you guys a real busy so no pressure just wondering....... gonna take my Sparky out this weekend & send him to the Modfather for "modifications" which I will share when finished but , I sure would be super stoked to get a better looking hammer in there too

I have not talked to my friend who was going to look at casting in a while. Last time we chatted he was getting materials, and then I haven't heard from him, and I've just been too busy to follow up.

I have one hammer that had some issues that was returned to me. I refunded the buyer and I'm going to see what work I need to do to fix it up, I just haven't unwrapped it from the bubble wrap he sent it in yet. See again, the too busy part.

Between Alien and 4th quarter madness at my job and school and soccer starting I'm a little more slammed than usual. I will get that hammer fixed up and offer it back up for sale to whoever wants it though when I get some time.

Edit: Hammer spoken for.

#450 8 years ago

Damn that last edit :/ lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-metallica-hammer-design/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.