IMG_0005-884.JPG
IMG_0004-842.JPG
IMG_3771.GIF
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
20150303_171425.jpg
20150301_132347.jpg
image-522.jpg
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's an option, but right now I'm planning on giving them an edge coat in black. It's pretty thin leather, 2 oz, has to be to be able to run the screws for the spikes through it, so it's not a lot of edge to be able to stand up to burnishing.

I hear ya. I like the look of a burnished edge. My dad's a leather worker and I dabble in it a bit myself. I've seen 1.5oz leather with burnished edges, so 2oz is doable. Good luck either way. Hammer looks great.

#202 9 years ago

Amazing work as usual aurich

#203 9 years ago

Just sent an update with some in progress photos to the email list, check your email if you're on it. I'll put some more pics in this thread when I get a little further along and I'm ready to share them publicly.

But the other news for people who aren't in on the LE run is that I took some time to sculpt what will hopefully be the master model for a mass produced version. I want to see what my friend Keith thinks of it first, he has way more experience than I do with casting, make sure I don't need to change anything to help it cast right, but then I'll show it.

Definitely trying to keep my word and make a cheaper version, stay tuned for more details as we experiment a little.

The focus is getting the LEs done first though, so I doubt I'll have much more to report on that front until after they ship out.

#204 9 years ago

Just got the leather in the mail. Going to start dying them tonight if I can, getting close to having the first batch fully done.

#205 9 years ago

Very excited wish the canadian dollar wasn't so weak right now

#206 9 years ago

Here's a look at the leather tops for the hammers, with a drawing I did etched in with a laser. I'm dying the outside and leaving the skull raw. I'll use a wood burning kit to write the edition number before the /30 on each one.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Very excited wish the canadian dollar wasn't so weak right now

Well on the plus side I'm covering the international shipping out of pocket, so you're getting a little discount!

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well on the plus side I'm covering the international shipping out of pocket, so you're getting a little discount!

wow that's great incentive Aurich.... nice work

#209 9 years ago

Aurich, these look great! Your work is very impressive.
--Scott

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Aurich, these look great! Your work is very impressive.
--Scott

Wait until you see how they fit with those thinner lids you printed me, it's perfect.

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wait until you see how they fit with those thinner lids you printed me, it's perfect.

Can't wait!

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm more then happy with everything especially your updates, shipping and customer service. It's been a great experience since the beginning and can't wait till there done. Although I haven't paid yet or had it shipped I'm 100% sure it's going to go smoothly dealing with you and will gladly buy more mods from you in the future. Hope you look into doing that alternative congo translight someday.

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I'm more then happy with everything especially your updates, shipping and customer service. It's been a great experience since the beginning and can't wait till there done. Although I haven't paid yet or had it shipped I'm 100% sure it's going to go smoothly dealing with you and will gladly buy more mods from you in the future.

I'm on a mission to prove that people doing pinball projects are capable of communicating with their customers!

Seriously, it's not that hard. Anyone who says they can't take 10-15 minutes out of their week to send an email to the people supporting them is full of it. I work full time (in front of a computer all day if my Pinside posting wasn't a clue!) I have a family, including a daughter who's been home sick all week, and I do these projects at night or in my free time. Still find time to keep people updated. And I know from the responses I get how much people appreciate it, which just motivates me to keep doing it.

Now for a really long haul project a weekly update might be overkill, but personally I feel like if you're taking people's money you owe them to keep them involved. I didn't even take pre-order funds for this project, I'd feel doubly committed to updates if I had though. If you want to be secret and work at your own pace, hey great. Don't take money from people first!

Quoted from Mitch:

Hope you look into doing that alternative congo translight someday.

I'm definitely going to explore it, but no promises on timeline or anything. I have some other things I've started that I really want to finish before starting anything new, this hammer project was a bit of a derail, didn't know it would turn into so much work when I posted this thread.

#214 9 years ago

Doing some build testing before final assembly. Making sure everything fits etc. Shot it in slow mo because why not? Be over pretty quick otherwise!

#215 9 years ago

Really dig that artwork. Interested in seeing how it all comes together

#216 9 years ago

Here are the die cut tops for the hammers, ready to go.

The straps will be dyed to match with their own laser etched design, show those soon, need to finish dying them all still.

image-476.jpgimage-476.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#217 9 years ago

That's looking Bad Ass Aurich!

#218 9 years ago

Like Eric B. and Rakim, I'm Paid in Full!! Can't wait to get it!!

#219 9 years ago

Happy to announce that this project is entering the final stage, the first 10 are done, and today I'll be cranking along on the rest of them, the other 20 are all prepped for final painting.

Once the limited edition ones are done I'll spend some energy on the mass market version if people are still interested in it.

Here are some test fit pics of the first one from last night. I'll post some better photos later.

IMG_3526.JPGIMG_3526.JPGIMG_3525.JPGIMG_3525.JPGIMG_3524.JPGIMG_3524.JPG

#220 9 years ago

That looks fantastic. Congrats!

#221 9 years ago

They look awesome , can't wait to see it in person. Great job!

#222 9 years ago

Very nice looking.

#223 9 years ago

Paid in full
Looks great

#224 9 years ago

looks awesome, nice work

#225 9 years ago

The rain is really not cooperating with wanting to lay down a coat of matte poly right now!

#226 9 years ago

Paid in full can't wait!

#228 9 years ago

All 30 hammers have finished paint, I just couldn't seal them because of the rain. Tomorrow should be dry, so I'll spray the final ones. Then I can start assembly of the leather and screws. Probably the biggest PITA part of the whole process by the way ...

The majority of people are already paid up, so I'm basically going to start packing once my boxes and bubble wrap get here, should be Tuesday, I'm not far from U-Line, always next business day delivery.

#229 9 years ago

Sun's back out in SoCal, all is back to normal, so just put the first coat of matte clear on the hammers. Will let that dry a bit then a second coat and they'll be ready to cure up so I can start installing the leather and spikes.

Everything is on track for the schedule I laid out, packaging will be here tomorrow.

#230 9 years ago

Because updates without pics suck.

image-460.jpgimage-460.jpg

#231 9 years ago

The stones give it that zen garden look.

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The stones give it that zen garden look.

It's windy out today!

#234 9 years ago

Paid in full. Thanks for making these.

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Paid in full. Thanks for making these.

Thanks! People are actually paying up faster than I expected (thanks everyone) so I'll probably end up packing them pretty much all up at once. Will take a little longer to start that way, but will get them all out faster overall. Might need a few days, but sending them out by the end of the week is my goal.

The ones I clearcoated today are ready for final assembly, so I'm really in spikes and leather land (sexy) for a bit more, and then ready to pack them all up.

#236 9 years ago

Delays...Delays...Delays....starting to sound like a jpop thread...

I kid, i kid... ,
Can't wait!

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I kid, i kid... ,
Can't wait!

This hammer mod is a Ponzie scheme, too. Look, he's already marketing his next mod just to bankroll losses on this one...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-usa-refund-still-want-the-game/page/74#post-2264975

#238 9 years ago

Love the simple design for the joint (also hope you integrate a roach clip as a fastener device)

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I've decided to scrap all the work I've done and research an entirely new thermoplastic to 3D print the frames with. I'll be taking out several patents on the process, and while it may look just like normal plastic, be assured it's far superior in many ways. Unfortunately if you'd like to hear any details I'll require you to sign an NDA.

In the meantime I have artists working on artwork for a bowling themed hammer, a circus strongman hammer, and one that looks like the Red Queen's croquet mallet. Plans for the Ben Heck hammer have been scrapped, I heard that Charlie once listened to MC Hammer, and now that Ben is working with him I can't have that.

These delays are unfortunate, but I assure you that you'll be very pleased when you get the final product, in three years.

In the meantime everyone will get a form to pick their hammer color, your choices are electric green, electric purple, or electric pink.

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've decided to scrap all the work I've done and research an entirely new thermoplastic to 3D print the frames with. I'll be taking out several patents on the process, and while it may look just like normal plastic, be assured it's far superior in many ways. Unfortunately if you'd like to hear any details I'll require you to sign an NDA.
In the meantime I have artists working on artwork for a bowling themed hammer, a circus strongman hammer, and one that looks like the Red Queen's croquet mallet. Plans for the Ben Heck hammer have been scrapped, I heard that Charlie once listened to MC Hammer, and now that Ben is working with him I can't have that.
These delays are unfortunate, but I assure you that you'll be very pleased when you get the final product, in three years.
In the meantime everyone will get a form to pick their hammer color, your choices are electric green, electric purple, or electric pink.

Thank god I didn't pay up front....

#242 9 years ago

Last 20 hammers have leather, going to start spiking them tonight. Packing supplies are here.

image-494.jpgimage-494.jpgimage-778.jpgimage-778.jpg

#243 9 years ago

Shame that I found this thread too late, would be a perfect buddy present for his round birthday!

Great work as usual, Aurich!

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from Duex:

Shame that I found this thread too late, would be a perfect buddy present for his round birthday!
Great work as usual, Aurich!

I am going to try and make the cast version work too, so anyone who wants one that missed on on this will still have an opportunity for a similar idea. I'll start a new thread for that if it looks like it will happen. I've already sculpted the master model, just haven't spent any real energy on it since then since I want to get these limited ones out first.

I'm going to start packing them up today. I thought the rain might have knocked my schedule back a day, but I've made up the time.

#245 9 years ago

Boom. HAMMER TIME. I need to take care of work stuff now, but I'll start packing up tonight.

IMG_3546.JPGIMG_3546.JPGIMG_3545.JPGIMG_3545.JPGIMG_3544.JPGIMG_3544.JPG

#246 9 years ago

Man those came out really nice Aurich!

#247 9 years ago

Great looking work!

#248 9 years ago

Can't wait to drop this in my machine. Nice work Aurich!

#249 9 years ago

I think I see mine in that picture

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I think I see mine in that picture

I think you're hammered!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-metallica-hammer-design/page/5?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.