IMG_0005-884.JPG
IMG_0004-842.JPG
IMG_3771.GIF
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
20150303_171425.jpg
20150301_132347.jpg
image-522.jpg
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 9 years ago

Looks great.

I am definitely in for a mass-produced model down the road.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

that new hammer looks nice, but it has nothing to do with Metallica.
the Original hammer come's from the "and justice for all" artwork

metallica-hammerofjustice-pushea... 95 KB

I disagree. It's still the hammer of justice, just without the goofy faces on it. The original hammer was a BIG aesthetic fail IMO and Aurich has fixed it.

@ Aurich
I think thin metal straps going around the top & bottom of the hammer would look much better than the molded clay ones. Something weathered and unpolished would look tough, or polished brass if you want the gavel look.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think thin metal straps going around the top & bottom of the hammer would look much better than the molded clay ones. Something weathered and unpolished would look tough, or polished brass if you want the gavel look.

Yeah, I'm going to explore options there. Now that I'm thinking of this as prototype 2 and rethinking some parts I see things that are bugging me and could be improved. I want to fasten the spikes on mechanically instead of with glue, so a metal strip is one option to use as a mounting surface. Have to see how they feel, they need to be thin to be workable.

#54 9 years ago

Please let me on that list

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Can you PM me so I don't forget? Visiting family for Christmas and don't have my Excel sheet here.

#56 9 years ago

you guys are crazy !!!
big lol and nice mod of course

#57 9 years ago

I PM ed request to be on the list. Stock hammer is definatley to big and I love custom stuff. Someone had stock hammer painted and I did not like the look. Aurich has the right idea to reduce the hammer size for a cleaner look.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Nevermind, no need to PM, I'm home and remembered to add you.

#59 9 years ago

I spent the weekend working on re-engineering this. Did some 3D modeling and some materials prototyping work after a trip to the hardware store. I think what I'm doing will improve the feel, make it stronger and more unique, and be doable as a small limited edition run of handmade ones.

I don't have anything I'm ready to show yet, but I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

Next step is to research getting some parts cut on a water jet I think.

#60 9 years ago

Aurich can you add me to the hammer list as well please.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Aurich can you add me to the hammer list as well please.

Sure thing. If everyone on my list actually wants one then I'm just about tapped out on how many I can make I think. I'll try and accommodate everyone who gets on it though, and I'm sure some people will drop out, so not worried.

#62 9 years ago

I am also interested in one as well......Thanks

#63 9 years ago

This hammer business is distracting you from the other MET project you've mentioned in the past. I'm waiting anxiously to see what you're going to do with that one as that area is kinda blah right now!

#64 9 years ago

Damn. I was hoping what you were working on was gonna be something that would fit pros too. Oh well.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

No,don't give Al one
I want to be special and have the only one,lol

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

Got it. I'll try and make yours just a tiny bit more special than pingod's.

Quoted from Frax:

Damn. I was hoping what you were working on was gonna be something that would fit pros too. Oh well.

The other things I'm messing with will work on all games!

Quoted from PinCrush:

This hammer business is distracting you from the other MET project you've mentioned in the past. I'm waiting anxiously to see what you're going to do with that one as that area is kinda blah right now!

Heh. I'm still working on the other parts, don't worry. The electronic design is moving along (getting an assist from wolfmarsh on making PCBs thanks man!). Still doing prototyping and figuring out all the parts.

The truth is I'm taking a little break from the art because I just ordered a new toy. Getting a Wacom Cintiq tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to using it to draw for this. So I've kind of stopped doing much until I have it set up, because I know I'll just want to redo anything with it.

I'm anxious to have something show, definitely not dropping this one. This hammer thing is going to be a limited run, I just can't keep up hand building a bunch of them. I will keep exploring ways to make a mass produced version though.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Getting a Wacom Cintiq tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to using it to draw for this.

Had to Google that one... although I know next to nothing about such things, it LOOKS really cool. Can't wait to see what you do with it! Have fun.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Had to Google that one... although I know next to nothing about such things, it LOOKS really cool. Can't wait to see what you do with it! Have fun.

It's old hat to people like Rarehero, but I've never used one. So we'll see what the learning curve is like. Being able to draw directly to digital, with all the controls that a pressure sensitive input device gives you, just seems like too much fun. Probably should have done this years ago, I've always avoided tablets for some reason.

I'm good with a mouse, been using Photoshop for decades, but for straight up drawing there's just no comparison, mouse doesn't cut it. Even without the pressure sensitivity, though that's a big deal for really good stroke nuance.

I was drawing with ink on paper and scanning it in for this, but it's just too cumbersome, that's what pushed me over the edge to just spend the money.

#69 9 years ago

***DROOOOOOOOOL***

I have been doodling on my Note 4 (s pen is the bomb...and it's actually a result of partnership with Wacom apparently?) but I'm a horrible artist. The Cintiq is just ridiculously awesome. Wacom pads are good to start with, but being able to draw right on the screen is a whole different level if you ask me.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's old hat to people like Rarehero, but I've never used one. So we'll see what the learning curve is like. Being able to draw directly to digital, with all the controls that a pressure sensitive input device gives you, just seems like too much fun. Probably should have done this years ago, I've always avoided tablets for some reason.
I'm good with a mouse, been using Photoshop for decades, but for straight up drawing there's just no comparison, mouse doesn't cut it. Even without the pressure sensitivity, though that's a big deal for really good stroke nuance.
I was drawing with ink on paper and scanning it in for this, but it's just too cumbersome, that's what pushed me over the edge to just spend the money.

Funny, my Cintiq 24HD just showed up a couple days ago... Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but I can't wait - it's amazing what you can get done with just a mouse, but I really felt like it was time to upgrade - especially with the holiday price drop.

This mod looks sweet. My biggest beef with the MET:LE is trying to shoot anything near that gavel. IMO it's the one reason I'd stick with the pro model. I bet if you could make a cool mounting bracket for that, you'd get a lot of pro owners looking at getting one just to install it just as a cosmetic upgrade.

Can you (or someone else) enlighten me on the other LE mode features that are so superior in the LE as compared to the pro? I haven't played the LE enough to see it for myself...

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Funny, my Cintiq 24HD just showed up a couple days ago... Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but I can't wait - it's amazing what you can get done with just a mouse, but I really felt like it was time to upgrade - especially with the holiday price drop.

Sweet. The 24 felt too big, I'm going to pair this with a 27" retina iMac, both on articulating arms. So I'll have a large super high rez screen to work on, I just needed the Cintiq to be big enough to not restrict my drawing while I have palettes and tools open. Will double as a handy low rez (1080p) monitor for the iMac too, which is nice for doing things like 300x250 banner ads etc. That stuff looks pretty crap on the retina screen.

I was going to get it tomorrow, but UPS just dropped it off. Sadly the DVI to Display Port adapter I need to actually plug it in is still out for delivery. So can't play with it until later. You enjoying it?

Quoted from T-800:

This mod looks sweet. My biggest beef with the MET:LE is trying to shoot anything near that gavel. IMO it's the one reason I'd stick with the pro model. I bet if you could make a cool mounting bracket for that, you'd get a lot of pro owners looking at getting one just to install it just as a cosmetic upgrade.

Yeah, it's really a functional mod for me, I really like shooting with it more open, improves the game a lot. Obviously I want it to look cool, but it's not just bling. I am working on blinging out the final production version more though.

I was talking with some friends of mine who might help me work out a mass produced version that doesn't involve 3D printing, I'm not convinced the quality is there for that, and they mentioned making a bracket for the Pro too. Certainly something we can look into after I get the initial hand made batch done and we see what kind of interest there is.

Quoted from T-800:

Can you (or someone else) enlighten me on the other LE mode features that are so superior in the LE as compared to the pro? I haven't played the LE enough to see it for myself...

The biggest difference for me is the interactive lighting. Both the color changing inserts and the "color changing" GI. Which is red, blue and white, and each zone can be controlled separately. So for instance when you have one shot left to make cross multiball the GI shifts towards blue. Or during Fade to Black crank it up the whole game slowly fades to just blue light, getting darker as you play into the mode.

Obviously the spinners, those are fun to shoot.

And the snake jaw can close, not only eating a ball inside, but becoming a switch. So you can hit the closed snake jaw to trigger it to open. Fun to shoot, but also gives you a visual indication of where the snake status is.

#72 9 years ago

image-912.jpgimage-912.jpg
Thanks Aurich , glad to be in on this!!

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nevermind, no need to PM, I'm home and remembered to add you.

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it!

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it!

My pleasure. I didn't intend for this project to turn into anything other than a one-off personal thing, but I'm enjoying figuring out how I can make a limited run. I wouldn't have explored things like have custom metal cut on a water jet for just one, but when you have multiple ones to do it starts becoming more practical.

I have a lead on a water jet place, gonna check that out shortly.

#75 9 years ago

Got my Cintiq. Going to take some practice to get used to drawing on it, but I'm already loving it. Being able to sketch straight to the screen is awesome.

Sparky-Sketch-1.jpgSparky-Sketch-1.jpg

#76 9 years ago

So I tried to order a 3D print for a test of a hammer armature design from makexyz.com, what a weird site. They took my order, and then 48 hours later told me they weren't going to do it, and they wouldn't take my money. Uh, okay, thanks, but I wanted the print. I guess they farm it out to people and no one wanted to print it?

Never trying to use them again, that's for sure!

#77 9 years ago

Send your file to my old mate Tim MezelMods and see what he's got to say.

He's got a pretty swish 3d printer.

Oh, sell me your SS as well, my mate is asking about it again.

rd

#78 9 years ago

Doesn't pinball Terry at pinball life offer 3d printing as well. Pretty sure I saw it on their site.

#79 9 years ago

@Aurich, you are one super talented sumbitch (totally meant as a compliment), if you find a way to mass produce a version of this I'm sure you'd sell heaps.
That hammer looks absolutely magic.
Will be following this to see what eventuates.
Cheers Fitzy

#80 9 years ago

Hi Aurich,

Could you please add me to your hammer list if space still available.

Thanks,
Jason

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Send your file to my old mate Tim MezelMods and see what he's got to say.
He's got a pretty swish 3d printer.
rd

You betcha! We have the capacity to print it, today!

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

You betcha! We have the capacity to print it, today!

Hey Tim be happy to talk to you more about it, you didn't answer my last PM about the best email address to use. Get back to me, I've already started my own 3D sculpting!

I'm not sure 3D printing is the right answer for a "mass produced" version, I think casting is the only way I'll get something I'll be happy enough with the surface detailing, talking to some people about that already. I'm picky about things my name is attached to. But my plan is to 3D print armatures to sculpt over, and I'll need someone who can handle doing enough to cover this list that keeps growing.

I'm already at more than I had planned on making, but we'll see if everyone still wants to stay in when I PM the details.

Quoted from Menator:

Could you please add me to your hammer list if space still available.

Added. I'll commit to doing enough for everyone who's on the list, but then I'm gonna say that's it for these hand made ones.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

@Aurich, you are one super talented sumbitch (totally meant as a compliment), if you find a way to mass produce a version of this I'm sure you'd sell heaps.
That hammer looks absolutely magic.
Will be following this to see what eventuates.
Cheers Fitzy

Hey thanks. Except for breaking off one of the spikes (why I'm re-engineering it to not glue them on) I'm really enjoying playing with it. The size just feels much better on the game to me. I'll definitely try and work on a mass produced version that will be cheaper, with less features. The custom ones first though.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey Tim be happy to talk to you more about it, you didn't answer my last PM about the best email address to use. Get back to me, I've already started my own 3D sculpting!
I'm not sure 3D printing is the right answer for a "mass produced" version, I think casting is the only way I'll get something I'll be happy enough with the surface detailing, talking to some people about that already. I'm picky about things my name is attached to. But my plan is to 3D print armatures to sculpt over, and I'll need someone who can handle doing enough to cover this list that keeps growing.
I'm already at more than I had planned on making, but we'll see if everyone still wants to stay in when I PM the details.

Added. I'll commit to doing enough for everyone who's on the list, but then I'm gonna say that's it for these hand made ones.

[email protected]

#85 9 years ago

Brilliant looking piece!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#86 9 years ago

Perfect, emailed you a .stl to take a look at, thanks man.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I just can't seem to let go of it! I think it's gonna take something else coming along that I want badly enough to sell it to fund.

#88 9 years ago

If it's not too late, please add me to the list of people interested.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

If it's not too late, please add me to the list of people interested.

Done. My list is officially too long! All good, see if everyone actually wants it once I announce a price. Still working on that, I don't actually know my costs yet. Have to see what the 3D printing and water jet cutting costs me before I'll really be able to calculate that, and I need a sample 3D print to verify my water jet measurements before I can order that.

Made progress on that today though. Also, for the people saying "stop getting distracted!" I spent the rest of the day working on my other Metallica mod, getting closer to a fully functional prototype actually installed in my machine. So I'm multi-tasking, don't worry.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, for the people saying "stop getting distracted!" I spent the rest of the day working on my other Metallica mod, getting closer to a fully functional prototype actually installed in my machine.

Woo-hoo!

#91 9 years ago

Hey Aurich, just wondering- have you considered using off-the-shelf plumbers tape/perforated metallic strip instead of the custom cut steel strip? You won't have as much freedom with the hole placement or strapping width, but for the second run of "not one-off" hammers it would probably be much cheaper.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Hey Aurich, just wondering- have you considered using off-the-shelf plumbers tape/perforated metallic strip instead of the custom cut steel strip? You won't have as much freedom with the hole placement or strapping width, but for the second run of "not one-off" hammers it would probably be much cheaper.

Well for the mass produced ones I think the only way it makes sense would be to mold the spikes in as one piece, and then just paint things.

So the way I see it (subject to change as I work things out) is this:

LE - Limited to a single run, each one hand sculpted and painted, with real metal strips and spikes. I'll sign and number the backs or something.

Standard - If we can make a mold work we'd cast them as single pieces, spikes and all, and paint them. Still be cool, just not as blinged out and personalized.

I honestly don't know if the standard version will work. I'm willing to try for sure, and I just wanted to be up front about such a thing possibly existing so no one would feel tricked for buying the more expensive version. I've got friends with experience willing to help me try and make it work, because casting isn't something I have any skills with.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Standard - If we can make a mold work we'd cast them as single pieces, spikes and all, and paint them. Still be cool, just not as blinged out and personalized.
I honestly don't know if the standard version will work. I'm willing to try for sure, and I just wanted to be up front about such a thing possibly existing so no one would feel tricked for buying the more expensive version. I've got friends with experience willing to help me try and make it work, because casting isn't something I have any skills with.

And the next logical move of course will be to take your new-found casting experience and make some sweet new grips for the Shadow pistol! (Sorry, can never resist an opportunity to bring this up).

#94 9 years ago

If u choose to go 3D, The only way you're gonna get the detail you want is to use a stereolithography 3D printer, plastic extruder printers will give u ugly lines. (Although the zortrax is impressive but more for larger scale prints)

For best quality/affordability in a stereolithography machine You can look into the form1+ which is
Slow but amazing. Also there's a few places you can outsource to such as ownage and or digital geisha.

I know a few people with all these printers if u need any assistance

#95 9 years ago

Hi Aurich

I'm maybe too late now, please add me to the list of people interested if someone drops.
Thanks

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

And the next logical move of course will be to take your new-found casting experience and make some sweet new grips for The Shadow pistol! (Sorry, can never resist an opportunity to bring this up).

Hey that's not a bad idea!

#97 9 years ago

I want one, but is Tim gonna do these?
I like your work, but your list is already long enough. Is this a forsure thing as far as final looks, etc.?
I had PR paint my hammer thinking it would be cool, well not so much, its alright but like what you came up with. You said $200, a bit steep right now for me, but when will they be mass produced by Tim at Mezelmods? Thanks Aurich

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I want one, but is Tim gonna do these?
I like your work, but your list is already long enough. Is this a forsure thing as far as final looks, etc.?
I had PR paint my hammer thinking it would be cool, well not so much, its alright but like what you came up with. You said $200, a bit steep right now for me, but when will they be mass produced by Tim at Mezelmods? Thanks Aurich

I don't think I'm going to use 3D printing for final ones, the quality just isn't there for me. Fine for prototyping or a framework to sculpt on top of (I am looking at that) but not a finished surface. If I did mass produce them the only real way to do it would be casting I think.

Once I have a final design made I'll give one to some friends to see if they can make a cast work. If that doesn't work out there probably won't be a mass produced one. So I'm just telling people that it might happen, but no promises.

#99 9 years ago

It really looks cool, I hope you can get these made.

#100 9 years ago

Well I will want one down the road for sure. If someone drops off the list add me in. Can't afford anything extra for a few months though. Let me know. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-metallica-hammer-design/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.