(Topic ID: 55379)

My Congo is broken.Update:7/04/13 Kinda working.

By BowlingJim

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BowlingJim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 10 years ago

Ok so your symptoms are specific enough to see that your CPU has booted based on the flashing of the blanking led. If it were me, I would check every fuse on the power board using a dmm. Report back with those results.

I would also suggest reseating every ribbon cable that goes to / from the CPU board on both ends and make sure they are attached with the red line on pin 1.

You could try swapping the Dmd itself with another one of your Dmd games and see if the display comes on. It sounds like there could be multiple issues. But it really feels like a CPU to other board communication issue to me. Too bad you don't have other wpc95 games to swap more parts.

I also like DeathHimself's suggestion. Please report back that data.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

Took out and tested with meter every fuse all are good.
    100 - On
    101 - On
    102 - On
    103 - On
    104 - On
    105 - On
    Reseated all ribbon cables.
    The game will boot and play sometimes for a second or two then just keeps cycling on and off not resetting just like its a bad connection turning power on and off. When it cycles on and off it sometimes flickers on and off. Thanks for all of the help guys I hope we can figure out what is wrong.

Nice job answer our questions at least . Any chance you can film the resetting you see? It's hard to understand exactly what it's doing.

As for trading the game away, pinballs all break. You will need to learn to fix this stuff sooner or later. May as well be now when people are here to help.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

From what I've seen, $2,100 is a fair price for a working Congo.

Nah. These things are pretty rare and sell for way more. Jrivelli getting $3500 is proof.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

It's not actually. One sale isn't proof of anything.

It's a bummer if you can't afford the prices of pins. But that doesn't change the market. If we can sell them for ~$3500 then yes, that's the market.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

My friend brought over his CPU board and it fired right up sat in attract mode for 10 minutes no reset.
    We took out the Asic chip on my board and bent the prongs to make sure we had good contact put it back in and still resetting.
    We then put his Asic chip on my board and it would reset for a split second played 2 games and it maybe reset 3 times.
    Could the game roms on the CPU need replacing? Could they cause resetting?
    I feel a little better knowing we are getting close. I put the hammer back in the garage for now
    Any thoughts as to where to go next? You guys will make a repair guy out of me when this is all over

The game roms can't cause resetting. If it were me, I might reflow the solder on the CPU board power connector pins. Otherwise, its time to get the CPU board schematic out and start figuring out what's involved in the power and watchdog circuit. If you want your game working ASAP, you can buy a new CPU board, get yours fixed and sell yours off after.

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

This quote sums you up in a nutshell. You have this NEED to feel superior over people. You don't know me, how many pins I have, or what I do for a living. Yet, it makes you feel so good to assume I can't afford them and you can, doesn't it? This is probably the 100th time you've made a comment like this. I think Congo is a $2,100 game. I'm sure it's sold for more, but trying to find a correlation between that and my income is kinda insane, right?
    Oh wait, just like the other 100 times, you're just joking? This is your sense of humor.

Except I never said any of this. Where did I say I can afford anything or talk about myself at all? I am assuming you can't afford them because you are often extremely low on every price thread which shows you are in emotional disbelief regarding current market prices. Congo is a less than a week sale over $3000. If you can buy them at $2100, keep doing that and flipping them.

1 week later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-congo-is-broken-help-needed?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.