(Topic ID: 55379)

My Congo is broken.Update:7/04/13 Kinda working.

By BowlingJim

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BowlingJim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Turn game on DMD and playfield light up for a second then nothing. No lights except on back box and coin door.

I can start a game but it won't shoot out a ball and no flippers or DMD. Switches register when touching them.

I let it sit and it booted and played 1 ball then everything stopped working again. I'm stumped.

I checked all fuses and re set all connectors in back box.

Not sure what I shhould check for next.

#2 10 years ago

What leds are on or off on the Power driver board and the CPU board?

#3 10 years ago

Unplug the game. Check all the connectors from the power cord, inside of cabinet to where it comes in, to main fuse/on off switch, to transformer.

Then to power driver board.

Be sure nothing came loose along the way.

LTG : )

#4 10 years ago

And Lloyd just hit my second to do list if all the LEDs were normal.

#5 10 years ago

Top and bottom light are on middle one is flashing.

#6 10 years ago

Check each and every fuse again in the game? To confirm you did not miss any, use a schematic? I know you said you checked but sure sounds like fuse to this non-pro.

#7 10 years ago

Funny thing is I have the time set ahead and it went into midnight madness. When all the weird stuff started happening.

#8 10 years ago

I powered it up and it still not working. The top light led201 will be lit solid then suddenly go off then the game is ready to play after a few second the top light goes back to lit solid then I lose everything.

#9 10 years ago

When you lose everything does the game reboot?

When you turn the game and booting the LEDs should be as follows:

201- on
    202- on
    203- off

Once Booted:

201- off
    202- on
    203- flashing

#10 10 years ago

Lift the socketed chips on the cpu and press them in firmly .

#11 10 years ago

When booting
    201-on
    202-flashing
    203-on

once booted this is when it will play but goes back to booting as above.
    201-off
    202-flashing
    203-on

It will go on and off but it is not making re setting sounds.
    I got this game a couple of weeks ago and it was playing fine before last night.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

When booting
    201-on
    202-flashing
    203-on
    once booted this is when it will play but goes back to booting as above.
    201-off
    202-flashing
    203-on
    It will go on and off but it is not making re setting sounds.
    I got this game a couple of weeks ago and it was playing fine before last night.

after boot how many flashes on the center LED?

Blink Once - G11 ROM Failure
    Blink Twice - U8 RAM Failure
    Blink Three Times - G10 Security Chip Failure

#13 10 years ago

it never stops flashing

#14 10 years ago

Jim,

Just to be sure, which LED is flashing all the time? 202 or 203?

It's normal for 203 to flash all the time. (The bottom one of the three)

#15 10 years ago

202 the one in the middle

#16 10 years ago

Have you checked the test points on the CPU to see if proper voltage is present? If proper 5v is there, have you tried reseating the CPU data ribbon cable that comes from the Power Driver board, or replaced with one from a working machine? I think it's J102 on WPC-95 machines...

#17 10 years ago

I will go try the ribbon cable from another game. I hope it is the problem.

#18 10 years ago

Swapped the ribbon cable still broken

#19 10 years ago

Lets look at this, what are the LEDs doing on the power board 100 - 105?

Should be:

100 - On 12VDC Reg
    101 - On 5VDC Digital / CPU
    102 - On 18VDC Lamps
    103 - On 12VDC Unreg
    104 - On 20VDC
    105 - On 50VDC Coils (will be off with coin door open)

#20 10 years ago

Ok so your symptoms are specific enough to see that your CPU has booted based on the flashing of the blanking led. If it were me, I would check every fuse on the power board using a dmm. Report back with those results.

I would also suggest reseating every ribbon cable that goes to / from the CPU board on both ends and make sure they are attached with the red line on pin 1.

You could try swapping the Dmd itself with another one of your Dmd games and see if the display comes on. It sounds like there could be multiple issues. But it really feels like a CPU to other board communication issue to me. Too bad you don't have other wpc95 games to swap more parts.

I also like DeathHimself's suggestion. Please report back that data.

#21 10 years ago

Took out and tested with meter every fuse all are good.

100 - On
    101 - On
    102 - On
    103 - On
    104 - On
    105 - On

Reseated all ribbon cables.

The game will boot and play sometimes for a second or two then just keeps cycling on and off not resetting just like its a bad connection turning power on and off. When it cycles on and off it sometimes flickers on and off. Thanks for all of the help guys I hope we can figure out what is wrong.

#22 10 years ago

This is a strange problem. Usually, with power problems, there's the complete reset or a fully dead CPU rather than such a sporadic interference. Just thinking out loud here...

So, the voltages are theoretically good on the power driver according to the LEDs; however, there could still be some fluctuation in voltage from bad filter caps, etc. That might be enough to drop the 5v for the rebooting of the CPU.

On the CPU board, it would seem the LEDs are reverting back to boot up config when the die down occurs, so it is visible when the interruption is happening. Try powering down, removing all connectors except the power connector from the CPU and firing back up to see if the LEDs exhibit this behavior. If not, try replacing cables one at a time until the error occurs. This will help narrow down if you have a power issue from the power driver board or something else bogging down the system, a different cable or connector.

If the interruption occurs with just the power cable in, check for cracked solder joints on connector of CPU first, then work your way back testing and probing from the connector back through thr power driver board. If all power, solder joints and connections are within spec, there's a possibility the U9 reseat might work in this instance. At that point, it might be worth a shot, just make sure to buy the proper extraction tool.

#23 10 years ago

This thing is pissing me off spent 3 hours on it tonight testing everything. Now for sale come get it before I take a hammer to it.

Will also entertain trade offers for another DMD game that actually works

#24 10 years ago

trade ya for a working and nice NBA FB lol But dont hammer it!

#25 10 years ago

Trade for a working Police Force, Jungle Lord, or Firepower 2..

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

Took out and tested with meter every fuse all are good.
    100 - On
    101 - On
    102 - On
    103 - On
    104 - On
    105 - On
    Reseated all ribbon cables.
    The game will boot and play sometimes for a second or two then just keeps cycling on and off not resetting just like its a bad connection turning power on and off. When it cycles on and off it sometimes flickers on and off. Thanks for all of the help guys I hope we can figure out what is wrong.

Nice job answer our questions at least . Any chance you can film the resetting you see? It's hard to understand exactly what it's doing.

As for trading the game away, pinballs all break. You will need to learn to fix this stuff sooner or later. May as well be now when people are here to help.

#27 10 years ago

I had an issue on my WD recently, and it boiled down to a small capacitor C2 on the driver board that had died and leaked.

It damaged a trace on the driver board between the ribbon cable(from CpU board to driver board) and pin 3 U1 and thus caused lots of probs.

Its worth a look around this area for damage!!! C2 on driver board to the right of Fuse 115

#28 10 years ago

Swap out boards and cables one by one with another Bally/Williams pin.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

This thing is pissing me off spent 3 hours on it tonight testing everything. Now for sale come get it before I take a hammer to it.

don't do anything rash!

take a step back and breath, it is only pinball (trust me, I get the same way sometimes)

With a little help from the knowledgeable guys here I am sure you will find a fix. Just take more pics and video and we will all learn something along the way.

#30 10 years ago

Most likely because we cannot see actually whats happening and all the time you put into it and time is money, why not just pull the cpu board and powerdriver board and send them to Chris Hibler for repair. If it costs you a $100 or $125 for example, you are getting back 100% operable boards that will now last. That being said its up to you but IMHO that's a better choice rather then selling it a nice hard to find machine.

#31 10 years ago

I am going to try and shoot some video this weekend.

#32 10 years ago

Three hours of work pushed you over the edge! Don't attempt any play field swaps.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

why not just pull the cpu board and powerdriver board and send them to Chris Hibler for repair.

I noticed on Chris's site recently that he was focusing on his personal machines for awhile and not taking new repair work from others. Not sure if that's up to date information or not, but just FYI.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I noticed on Chris's site recently that he was focusing on his personal machines for awhile and not taking new repair work from others. Not sure if that's up to date information or not, but just FYI.

Not sure how old or new that info is, but just had a repair done by him last week, flawless as usual. If OP wants a simple PM to him and we'll know for sure, but that might be an outdated update

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

Have a working Goldeneye i would trade u

#36 10 years ago

I'll take it for $1500, since it does sound unfixable

#37 10 years ago

To OP, I second opinions of several others on here. Don't give up yet, there's always a solution -- it just takes a little longer sometimes than others. Looking forward to seeing your video over the weekend that will hopefully shine a little better light on exactly what's happening.

#38 10 years ago

The think that has me stumped is that 202 and 203 are opposite when the game is working.

#39 10 years ago

Is Congo even a $2,100 game working these days? Maybe. But not broken.

Quoted from jrivelli:

I'll take it for $1500, since it does sound unfixable

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

The think that has me stumped is that 202 and 203 are opposite when the game is working.

Yeah, that is weird it would actually work to a degree. LED 202 is power and 203 is diagnostics. It sounds like you're definitely getting a flutter in your +5v power...I really think a failing or failed filter cap could be the culprit, as it might be just enough to "flutter" the DC power enough from the Power Driver board to cause a flashing power LED. With unstable power, it's probably never getting to proper diagnostic state.

The other issue on your LED readouts is the LED103 should normally be OFF, rather than ON. This is the +18v DC lamps. What voltages are you getting at TP100, 101, 102 and 103 on the Power Driver board? It should be: ~12v, ~5v, ~18v, ~12v DC, respectively.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Is Congo even a $2,100 game working these days? Maybe. But not broken.

Sold my congo for $3,500. Not sure where you have been on this title lately

#42 10 years ago

You aren't implying that on average Congo is a $3,500 game, are you?

Quoted from jrivelli:

Sold my congo for $3,500. Not sure where you have been on this title lately

#43 10 years ago

Jalpert,
    Seems you'd be hard pressed to find a working congo for under 2500.

They are out there but not too many. good luck in your hunt.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

You aren't implying that on average Congo is a $3,500 game, are you?

No, but you are asking if it even fetches $2,100, which is not the case in the slightest.

#45 10 years ago

From what I've seen, $2,100 is a fair price for a working Congo.

Quoted from jrivelli:

No, but you are asking if it even fetches $2,100, which is not the case in the slightest.

#46 10 years ago

Have you played Congo Jalpert? doesn't seem to be the case. This is one game that the gameplay far exceeds even some "A" titles. Of course this is just my opinion, but many are coming around to my way of thinking these days.

#47 10 years ago

PM sent

#48 10 years ago

I have got a bunch of pm's about selling but I am going to try and fix it. Any repair people in NE Ohio want to come over and make a few bucks??? I am getting a chip puller today and going to try and re seat the Asic chip. Wish me luck.

I do have a big hammer here in the garage and I am not afraid to use it. LOL
    I hate having problems with games.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

I have got a bunch of pm's about selling but I am going to try and fix it. Any repair people in NE Ohio want to come over and make a few bucks??? I am getting a chip puller today and going to try and re seat the Asic chip. Wish me luck.
    I do have a big hammer here in the garage and I am not afraid to use it. LOL
    I hate having problems with games.

Good luck with the repair. If you change your mind, I have cash in hand.

Joe

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

From what I've seen, $2,100 is a fair price for a working Congo.

That isn't how you phrased your response though. You were questioning if $2,100 was even what they were going for. Meaning, that wasn't even close. I'm just reading what you posted

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-congo-is-broken-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.