8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

413KFFRA7JL.jpg
    41D0X1tlLJL.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've been an advocate of the Novus2/carnuba approach to playfield care for the last 16 years, but I tried something new this weekend on my DMDs. I'd appreciate any feedback or criticism of this approach.

Step 1: Clean with clay substitute
    After spraying a 50/50 mix of distilled water and 90% alcohol on the playfield, I rubbed down the playfield (lightly) with a Nanoskin Auto Scrub. Then I lightly wiped up any leftover fluid with a microfiber cloth.

41D0X1tlLJL.jpg41D0X1tlLJL.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-019-AutoScrub-Grade-Sponge/dp/B00CUAWJ6G

Step 2: Clean & Seal

I rubbed down the playfield with Klasse All-in-One (size of a nickel) on a microfiber sponge.
    413KFFRA7JL.jpg413KFFRA7JL.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Klasse-All-One-33-oz/dp/B0002LBKF6/

Step 3: Polish
    After letting the All-In-One dry for about 10 minutes, I polished the playfield with a clean microfiber cloth.

Observations

The AutoScrub does a great job of picking up the embedded black rubber and dirt. The water/alcohol is on the playfield for less than a minute, so I don't think it can hurt the clearcoat. The All-In-One sealant does a GREAT job of cleaning, and leaves a finish that looks and feels exactly like 2-3 layers of carnuba. It's less abrasive than Novus 2, so I think it's safer for the clearcoat. It may not offer as much protection as wax, but it's a lot less work. I can see doing this 2-3 times per year, vs. once a year for wax.

My main concern is that the Klasse AIO uses acrylic as the main finishing/sealing ingredient. Will this build up and create a dull finish, after several years? Can be removed with naptha, like wax can?

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd be a little concerned about the abrasiveness of the auto scrub and its potential to dissolve/remove paint where the protectant or clear coat has worn through.

Agreed, I wouldn't use this on a heavily worn clearcoat. I also use a light touch with the AutoScrub. The AIO does most of the work, as evidenced by the microfiber sponge after use.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-cleaningprotection-regime?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.