New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 89190)

My "new" 1976 Williams Space Odyssey. A couple questions.

By SilverBallKid

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SteveFury
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF2545.JPG
DSCF2540.JPG
Swinging Target Plastic Bow.jpg
Ball Index.PNG
Outhole.PNG
Screenshot (25).png
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Hello SBK,
Yes I would suggest you start a new thread for your new problem. I read through your postings and noticed something I would just like to point out. Your chime bars are in the wrong order, the long bar should be next to the cabinet and the short bar goes closest to the coin box. Your middle is correct.
Unless, there is something different with the Space Odyssey's chime positions that I do not know about, but what I mentioned is the standard Williams EM order.

1 month later
#52 5 years ago

Hey Guys,

So I have a late Christmas present which will arrive this week. My wife got me a CPR reproduction backglass for my table. I don't need to say that I am fired up, right?

OK so I have a small issue as I get ready for the swap out of the backglasses. A lot of the lamp sockets in my back box are corroded badly and many of them don't make good contact anymore and I am losing light behind my backglass. Don't really want to slap the new glass in there and have poor illumination behind it. Yes, I have cleaned them all with the socket cleaner from Steve at PBR. Now that I know how to solder, I just want to start swapping them out.

It appears to me that most of the sockets are the "Staple Down" bayonet type, since they look just like the one I found for sale at Marcos and they are in fact all stapled down onto the wood on the backside of the head. The concern I have is with the lights directly over my scoring reels. Please tell me I am just being dumb because I am new to this and that these sockets are available for purchase at Marcos or somewhere similar.

Here is a look at them from the front and the back. There are four of these above each of the two scoring reel banks.

DSCF2540.JPG
DSCF2545.JPG

If anybody can point me in the right direction for those, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I have read in the past that many pinball owners do not replace old sockets and instead solder small lengths of wire between the wire for the lamp in question and the back of the lug on the socket. Do any of you have an opinion about the reliability of this fix?

Also, when I watch a lot of the online videos of Space Odyssey gameplay, I notice that there are blinking lights behind the backglass. None of mine blink. On these old EM games were the lights themselves the "blinkers" (like on old-school christmas tree strands) or was it something in the wiring?

Thanks as always!

Tim

#53 5 years ago

Where did she find a Space Odyssey backglass? All I can find are for Space Mission.

#54 5 years ago

Hey Travis!

When I started looking for the backglass last May (2014) when I got the table, I couldn't find it anywhere. As far as I know, this is the only place you can still get one. Part of the reason that my wife decided to get me one was that they seemed so scarce. Hopefully they've still got a few left! GOOD LUCK!

http://www.starship-fantasy.com/backglasses/Space-Odyssey

Now, if we could just get someone to turn out a repro playfield...

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Hello SBK,
Yes I would suggest you start a new thread for your new problem. I read through your postings and noticed something I would just like to point out. Your chime bars are in the wrong order, the long bar should be next to the cabinet and the short bar goes closest to the coin box. Your middle is correct.
Unless, there is something different with the Space Odyssey's chime positions that I do not know about, but what I mentioned is the standard Williams EM order.

Whoa, hadn't noticed this reply. I will begin creating new threads for new problems in the future. Thanks for the info on the chime unit. I just left it set up the way I got it after I cleaned it, so I am really glad you pointed this out to me. Heading downstairs now to swap those chime bars out. Again, THANK YOU!

6 months later
#56 5 years ago

Sorry for the late reply.
For your string of score reel lights photo, I'd first get a good hot iron. Sand a spot on each of the socket bases and apply a dot of solder to the base. Then solder a string of wire connecting all sockets. If necessary, solder a lead from your wire string to the base frame.

On the back side, I'd sand the center contact (Not solder tab) of each lamp and solder a wire to it, and to each center contact in the string. Then solder the wire to the power buss.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 14.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Cobra Amusements
$ 22.50
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 16.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 1,099.00
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside