image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just wanted to show off my MM project. Still have a lot of work to do but she is coming together
I should start installing the wiring harness this week.
BIG THANK YOU to Wally Gorczowski for leading the way!
-Ed

#2 10 years ago

This is very cool. If you could turn an NBA Fastbreak into an Attack from Mars I would be all in.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

This is very cool. If you could turn an NBA Fastbreak into an Attack from Mars I would be all in.

That's been done too:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-afm-project

#6 10 years ago

Ed, your MM is really looking good! Nice job on the cab/head. Thanks for the update. Wally

#7 10 years ago

Wally

Ed

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Ed, your MM is really looking good! Nice job on the cab/head. Thanks for the update. Wally

Thanks Wally. I installed the switch and lamp harness today. It really starting to come together.
-Ed

#9 10 years ago

Looking great, Ed. Amazing work!

I can't wait, if Marc brings his again there will be three on the floor this year, that's playtime for everyone without too many lines. Not only am I excited, but my kids will be too. They love the trolls.

#10 10 years ago

Looks awesome Ed! That's a mighty big project you're taking on and I just might have to come on down to the TPF next year to check it out!

#11 10 years ago

Great video! Thanks for sharing... so jealous.

#12 10 years ago

Very nice Ed, but I'd take the MM to an NBA Fastbreak first!....JK, looks great..

#13 10 years ago

I started installing the wiring harness. Got the switch and lamp harness in. It mounted up great. Things are moving along great

image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 10 years ago

How much have you spent so far on the project?

#16 10 years ago

ed is a close friend of mine and i can tell you he has spent alot of time and money on this project not the cheap way out by no means

#17 10 years ago

Ed, how did you source the wire ball guides?

1 12-7391-18 "ball guide 1.13""L .125 barbed" MM
1 12-7391-32 "ball guide 2.00""L .125 barbed" MM
2 12-7391-41 "ball guide 2.56""L .125 barbed" MM
1 12-7391-50 "ball guide 3.13""L .125 barbed" MM

If someone has the tools to make them, I'll buy a set of these.

Sam

#18 10 years ago

Progressing very nicely.

Far beyond my MM conversion which has been sidelined for the last few months....

#19 10 years ago

Looking good Ed! Its a lot of work I know!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from PinsRfun:

Ed, how did you source the wire ball guides?
1 12-7391-18 "ball guide 1.13""L .125 barbed" MM
1 12-7391-32 "ball guide 2.00""L .125 barbed" MM
2 12-7391-41 "ball guide 2.56""L .125 barbed" MM
1 12-7391-50 "ball guide 3.13""L .125 barbed" MM
If someone has the tools to make them, I'll buy a set of these.
Sam

NBAFB has a lot more wire ball guides than MM. It was pretty easy using a vice, a hammer, and a metal saw to make all the MM wire guides out of the NBAFB wire guides. Bending the other metal ball guides wasn't bad either once you get the hang of it. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 10 years ago

A few more ball guide pics....

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

How much have you spent so far on the project?

It's hard to say. I haven't done a good job keeping track. In the beginning I did. Once I hit around $7500, I stopped keeping track because I figured it was too late to turn back and I didn't want the wife to see . Plus, I have purchased many things I did not have to:
Color DMD $400
New wiring harness $980 (I could have modded the NBAFB harness like Wally did, but I decided it was worth it to me to just buy a new one).
Back box tub: $50
Ball guides: $300
Williams speaker panel: $200
I also bought a lot of things that I could have used off NBAFB, but I just wanted new ones (legs, various coils, and some other stuff).
Currently, I believe I'm at or just under $9k. That's a lot a cheddar, but I'll have a brand new MM when I'm done.

#23 10 years ago

Last update and I'll leave it alone for awhile...
Finished installing and testing all four playfield wiring harnesses. All successfully tested
Now I just need to built the major assemblies (which I'll take my time with) and add a few small switches and lamp sockets I'm waiting for the postman to deliver.
Thank you all for your kind comments. Feel free to ask questions and I'll be glad to answer the best I can.
-Ed

image.jpgimage.jpg

#24 10 years ago

What were the two holes that you had to drill on the playfield? I have to make a notch as well on my repro pf.

Sam

#25 10 years ago

For the un-informed. Why is NBAFB used to make these conversions? Is it just the right time frame it has the most correct boards and system? What happens to the NBAFB materials?

#26 10 years ago

Just because it's the cheapest of the wpc95 pins. I think for the price of the boards and power supply you can buy a working nbafb.

#27 10 years ago

Anyways looks great Ed! I have a new MM harness set fs so if anyone is interested pm me

#28 10 years ago

NBAFB $10K by Christmas

#29 10 years ago

Yeah too many more of these get hacked up it just might be.

Cool project but another NBAFB bites the dust.

#30 10 years ago

I'm in the process of converting an MM into an NBAFB. If you had any spare parts from your original game... please let me know.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Yeah too many more of these get hacked up it just might be.
Cool project but another NBAFB bites the dust.

There were originally 4414 NBAFBs made. Only 4016 MMs. I doubt more than 25-30 (and that's estimating high) NBAFBs actually get turned into MMs or AFMs. What's funny is I have noticed a slight rise is NBAFB value because people think NBAFBs are drying up. Even the gentleman I bought my NBAFB from mentioned that "he had heard some guys were converting these to Medieval Madness". Even if there was a sudden flood of available MM and AFM parts, there would not be that many folks that actually do it... so for those whose "Grail pin" is NBAFB... I think its safe

#32 10 years ago

What were the two holes that you had to drill on the playfield? I have to make a notch as well on my repro pf.
Sam

On my IPB MM playfield, one hole for the left metal guide in on the shooter lane was not drilled (you can see where the hole goes on the artwork) and a hole for a post next to the top "Sword" insert was not drilled. It may not be on all the IPB playfields, maybe just mine. An easy enough fix. All of the other holes and dimples lined up nicely.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#33 10 years ago

Ah ok. Mine is from Mirco. Looks to have all the holes but the notch.

#34 10 years ago

Thank you for all the PMs with the heads up on the 5-lamp PCBs now available (funny how that worked out). I ordered them this morning

#35 10 years ago

Man that is going to be one nice game. Great job!!

#36 10 years ago

Ed,
Looking sweet!

Pin - K

www.KimballsPinballs.com

#38 10 years ago

Looking good!! And boy that looks like a ton of work..

1 month later
#39 10 years ago

Short video update 10/29/13
Sorry for the low quality (Internet is down and I had to upload via iPhone). Things are progressing nicely. I expect to be finished by Thanksgiving (absolutely before Christmas). And yes, had I known a MM remake was coming, I would have gone that route, but it's all good

-Ed

#40 10 years ago

Nice work Ed. Thanks for sharing too.

#41 10 years ago

Wow, looks great. What a rewarding project!

#42 10 years ago

Looks awesome Ed!

How'd you figure out that the motor was the problem and not the gears? When my drawbridge goes up and down it squeals a bit and I was thinking it was the gears making the noise, but maybe in fact it is the motor.

Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

And yes, had I known a MM remake was coming, I would have gone that route, but it's all good

Don't say it's so Ed! During the Summer I spent 55 hours doing a playfield swap and when it was all said and done it was the most rewarding project that I've ever done on a machine. What you're doing is downright cool and when it's all done you'll have a very special machine. Not many people on this planet will be able to say that they have accomplished what you've done!

#43 10 years ago

Impressive undertaking, my hat's off to you.

#44 10 years ago

his name is special ed the pinball master

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

Looks awesome Ed!
How'd you figure out that the motor was the problem and not the gears? When my drawbridge goes up and down it squeals a bit and I was thinking it was the gears making the noise, but maybe in fact it is the motor.

Don't say it's so Ed! During the Summer I spent 55 hours doing a playfield swap and when it was all said and done it was the most rewarding project that I've ever done on a machine. What you're doing is downright cool and when it's all done you'll have a very special machine. Not many people on this planet will be able to say that they have accomplished what you've done!

Well, honestly I don't know 100% it's the motor. I've taken the gears aparts a couple of times, everything fits nicely, none of the teeth seems to be stripping, it all rolls smoothly by hand. The motor "vibrates" to the touch when that god awful noise is being made and the rest does not. So... easy thing is to swap out motors and see what happens

I do not regret my project at all. It's going to be beautiful and a great playing machine. I've just been asked my opinion on the MMR vs my project by a few folks and all I'm saying is if you told me 7 months ago, before I started down this road that the MMRs were coming, I probably would have just waited

Thanks for the comments guys!
Ed

#46 10 years ago

Looks great Ed,

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Well, honestly I don't know 100% it's the motor. I've taken the gears aparts a couple of times, everything fits nicely, none of the teeth seems to be stripping, it all rolls smoothly by hand. The motor "vibrates" to the touch when that god awful noise is being made and the rest does not. So... easy thing is to swap out motors and see what happens

Well that does make sense how you come to the conclusion that it's the motor that is the problem. I think I might try a new motor on ours as well and see if there is any difference. My gears are the same, they all seem to roll smoothly and nothing is grinding anywhere. I was thinking about trying a little bit of grease on the gears but I really don't feel like creating a massive mess of the assembly.

Looking forward to seeing your machine finished soon!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

Well that does make sense how you come to the conclusion that it's the motor that is the problem. I think I might try a new motor on ours as well and see if there is any difference. My gears are the same, they all seem to roll smoothly and nothing is grinding anywhere. I was thinking about trying a little bit of grease on the gears but I really don't feel like creating a massive mess of the assembly.
Looking forward to seeing your machine finished soon!

I have that 14-8015 Motors in stock with a new Pinion Gear & new Wiring Harness w.Molex Trifurcon Pins if you think that's your issue.

Pin - K

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

I have that 14-8015 Motors in stock with a new Pinion Gear & new Wiring Harness w.Molex Trifurcon Pins if you think that's your issue.
Pin - K
http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

The site is really hard to navigate and isn't easy on the eyes.

#50 10 years ago

Top effort. To be commended.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-nbafb-to-mm-project-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.