Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lordloss
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 47 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6423.JPG
IMG_5831.JPG
IMG_5425.JPG
IMG_5422.JPG
IMG_5418.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5337.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG
IMG_5282.JPG
IMG_5309.JPG

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Last week I took care of the last bit of board work and had the GI input and harness repinned. So as they say, "let there be light". After hooking up the GI, I realized I have a bad ground somewhere so I will need to recheck how I ran the ground braiding and my soldering on the AC cord. If anyone has any photos of the ground braid route they could share that would be greatly appreciated. I must have missed a stop somewhere.

I also managed to score a donor cab from a local cab builder/restorer. Sadly the PF pivot bolt is an inch farther towards the front of the cab than the pivot point in the RG cab. I'm guessing I can just move the brackets on the PF up an inch, but would love to hear feedback on that option.

IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG
IMG_5418.JPG
IMG_5422.JPG
IMG_5425.JPG

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I'm guessing I can just move the brackets on the PF up an inch, but would love to hear feedback on that option.

And there are no mechs/lamps in those spots? It would probably be easier to move the pivot bracket in the cab than change the playfield bracket mounting area. Most of the time they're mounted through-playfield with t-nuts on the top and bottom of the playfield. If you're going to sand/repaint/refinish can you move the pivot bolt at the same time?

#53 5 years ago

Hey Ed, after looking at the PF, there is too much in the way. Some of the NEACF guys also suggested moving the pivot bolts. I wanted as near a perfect cab as possible so drilling new holes/filling old ones is not ideal. It can be done, but it's not really what I was hoping/going for. This certainly does complicate things...

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I wanted as near a perfect cab as possible so drilling new holes/filling old ones is not ideal.

I hear ya, but the playfield is much rarer than the cabinet, and I'd rather screw up a cabinet and be able to fix it versus a playfield, which you really can't. (Trust me, I've screwed up enough on my CPR Taxi playfield for both of us!)

If you're good with filler/woodworking stuff, you should be able to fill the old hole and drill the new one such that you can't even tell. You can cut a wooden dowel section to fill the old hole, and use filler/compound around and on top of it, then sand, prime and paint. I've never done it, but I want to learn basic woodworking skills someday as I think they're going to be valuable in the hobby.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

If you're good with filler/woodworking stuff, you should be able to fill the old hole and drill the new one such that you can't even tell. You can cut a wooden dowel section to fill the old hole, and use filler/compound around and on top of it, then sand, prime and paint. I've never done it, but I want to learn basic woodworking skills someday as I think they're going to be valuable in the hobby.

True, I was just rereading Jim's High Speed and Taxi restores and he did a pretty amazing job filling the lock down bar holes, etc. They are not noticeable under the decal which was my concern. That being said Jim is a ninja when it comes to this stuff. I would just hate to attempt to mod this cab and make it unusable. I am sure someone has a need for a solid WPC cab with the dimensions.

My other option is the guys from Virtual Pins offer various restore packages including painting and decaling. So I may go with them and save myself a ton of headaches as after I get the cab sanded, filled and primed I will still need to find someone local to spray the base coat.

4 months later
#57 4 years ago

OK, long time no updates. The 4th quarter keeps me pretty busy so I did not have a ton of time to mess with this. I had some longer term issues that I finally sorted out last night. It was amazing to see the last of the non firing coils finally fire. Now that the weather is warming up I am hoping to plow through the rest of this restoration. In the next few weeks I will be sending the habitrails off to Back Alley, ordering up my decals and plastics and finishing up the LED's (GI). For right now I am finally going to enjoy a few games error free.

IMG_6423.JPG
IMG_5831.JPG

#58 4 years ago

Great Job NG and congrats on bringing it back to life!

#59 4 years ago

Never saw this thread before but RG is a pretty good game, one of the SR designs I really like. The WALL ramp is really tough to nail. This is one game that if I found a beater with a ramp in decent shape, I'd retheme it, along with doing something different with the left hand side.

#60 4 years ago

I really want to do the prototype drop targets on the left side. I am hoping to source the parts eventually. It's a great game, definitely one of my favorites from the System 11 era. I can't wait to finish it up.

#61 4 years ago

Great looking game! Way to go!

#62 4 years ago

Really nice job bringing it back from the moldy dead!

#63 4 years ago

Thanks! I am happy with how it has come along. The weather is starting to get a bit nicer so I am looking forward to stripping/prepping the donor cab. I can't wait to see everything installed in a minty cab.

#64 4 years ago

kick ass! good work.

4 months later
#65 4 years ago

sorry to bump an old thread but super envious of that lineup! Grats

#66 4 years ago

great project!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Simpsonville, SC
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside