Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Laseriffic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5810b25b807829739eeaa8e00fb9d5b68f6acd.jpg
    SDC10596.JPG
    SDC10595.JPG
    SDC10597.JPG
    SDC10590.JPG
    SDC10589.JPG
    SDC10593.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

I just got my SM topper, and the new pinballlife color changing or selectable color topper lighting kit. I also found a Spider-man figure on ebay that is sized just right to add just a little something extra to the topper. Many on this site have complained that the topper was redundant since it said the same thing as the translite. I decided to make mine look more like the IM and TF toppers but still using the Mckee topper. I am pleased with the way it turned out so I thought I would post some pics. Here are pics but pictures cannot do justice to the topper or lighting kit:

SDC10593.JPGSDC10593.JPG SDC10589.JPGSDC10589.JPG SDC10590.JPGSDC10590.JPG

#2 12 years ago

#3 12 years ago

Adds a little extra to curb appeal

#4 12 years ago

Looks tough! NICE

#5 12 years ago

Very nice touch to an already great topper.

#7 12 years ago

That does look nice. What spiderman did you get?

#8 12 years ago

Looks great!

#9 12 years ago

Thanks for the positive comments. Here is the item and seller that I got the SM figure from:

ebay.com link: Marvel Spider Man 3 Movie Bust Vinyl Bank Spiderman

It is a fairly good quality thick plastic made as a coin bank. It does have a hollow inside with a removable bottom piece so there may be a possibility that you could put LED light inside of it, but I am not sure whether the light would shine through well without trying it.
    Also, I used two 4"X4" pieces of 2x4 wood as a base to stand the figure on to get him at the right height.
    I screwed the two pieces of wood together and then used velcro to hold the wood to the backbox and velcro to hold the figure to the wood.

I noticed that the seller said he had more than 10 but has already sold 5.

#10 12 years ago

Thank you. I ordered one also.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Thank you. I ordered one also.

Cool.

The new color changing LED strips that Terry sells are a nice lighting source for the topper. It has a remote control and you can make the color fade, strobe, etc, or you can set it at different fixed colors and different fixed colored brightness. It took me about 15 minutes to install the topper lighting kit. It has instructions and it only requires connecting to an unused connector plug in the cabinet that Stern puts in all their machines.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The new color changing LED strips that Terry sells are a nice lighting source for the topper. It has a remote control and you can make the color fade, strobe, etc, or you can set it at different fixed colors and different fixed colored brightness.

Do you also have the color changing backbox from PBL? I ask because I think with topper or under cab lighting you could experience interference unless you wrap the receiver on the backbox kit.

#13 12 years ago

No, I do not have the color changing backbox or under cab lighting.
    For the interference, are you referring to the remote control signal causing it?

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

For the interference, are you referring to the remote control signal causing it?

No for example when I got the basic none LED one color under cab lighting from PBL and plugged it in it interfered with the color changing back box preventing it from running through the color change cycle I had it set on. I was told I would have to cover the backbox receiver to prevent it from happening thus making it so I could not control it via remote. I was just wondering if the LED one would do the same.

#15 12 years ago

I guess the LED's or the transformer is putting out a high frequency signal/noise that causes the interference. If it is the transformer, you could probably shield that. I also wonder if adding some capacitors to the circuitry could solve that problem.

I doubt that such a product would be legal if it is causing such RF noise, but I am not going to say anything.

#16 12 years ago

That's great!

#17 12 years ago

Just ordered one - Only one left

#18 12 years ago

Here is a link to the same SM figure in black:

http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Movie-Black-Costume-Bust/dp/B000NVLE42/ref=sr_1_9

I think I am going to put one of each on top like dueling personalities.

1 week later
    #19 12 years ago

DCFAN, I just wanted to say one more time how awesome this topper turned out. I've had a ton of comments on it. Great work on this. The $15 bank figure is the key to the whole thing.

#20 12 years ago

Nice touch to a horrible looking topper

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from MMuller:

Nice touch to a horrible looking topper

In person the topper is better than in pictures. I even say it is better than WH2O when you use the color changing light kit from PBL. When I say that I mean with or without the spidey figure

#23 12 years ago

That looks cool!!

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

In person the topper is better than in pictures. I even say it is better than WH2O when you use the color changing light kit from PBL. When I say that I mean with or without the spidey figure

My point is adding the spidey figure actualy makes that topper look alot better. I have seen this topper nothing great in my opion its the same as the back glass underneath it

#26 12 years ago

Since I posted those pictures above, I have also added an identical black spiderman since the game has both (the red one on the left and the black one on the right, like dueling personalities). I will probably post pictures. I am not sure if I will keep it that way or go back to just the red spidey.

#27 12 years ago

Here is the dueling/symbiote spideys:

SDC10597.JPGSDC10597.JPG SDC10595.JPGSDC10595.JPG SDC10596.JPGSDC10596.JPG

#28 12 years ago

I know you just helped me out, so I feel a little regret having to say this, but IMHO I think it looks better with just one Spiderman. If you have two they need to be fighting or something.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bronzelion:

I know you just helped me out, so I feel a little regret having to say this, but IMHO I think it looks better with just one spiderman. If you have two they need to be fighting or something.

Don't worry, I am thinking the same.

#30 12 years ago

I like both up there. If I remember right the playfield has both red and black Spideys on it near the flippers.

#31 12 years ago

I like both up there. If I remember right the playfield has both red and black Spideys on it near the flippers.

Yep, at the flippers and both sides of the apron.

5810b25b807829739eeaa8e00fb9d5b68f6acd.jpg5810b25b807829739eeaa8e00fb9d5b68f6acd.jpg

#32 12 years ago

I also much prefer the single. But hey, that's what I have on my machine. Others can put what they want on their machines

#33 12 years ago

Way cool I grabbed one and threw it on mine also. I just hung him on the same topper you got and he stays up there perfect no need for 2x4's and all that crap try it out.. and thanks for the idea...

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

MMuller said:Nice touch to a horrible looking topper

I haven't seen the color changing light kit. I always thought this topper looked kind of pointless because it is the exact same lettering and font that is on the translite just inches below... It does look a whole lot better with the addition of the bust. I'd like to see it all in person with the color changing lights...

Thanks for posting the pictures and info!

John

#35 12 years ago

I just stocked Terry at PBL with 30 more of these today. You guys are killin me here!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-modified-mckee-sm-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.