Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 310 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27BC382E-356C-48E5-B4FF-0B55FA0C1B22 (resized).jpeg
    AEA60BD5-E468-434F-A8EE-55E6518E8161 (resized).jpeg
    843B727D-1325-49B7-876A-B68443A6895A (resized).jpeg
    E6AFF331-1B98-48F9-BE98-A37E21FC28DF (resized).jpeg
    E4E42675-5061-4A5E-9876-0ADF7A944ACA (resized).jpeg
    MiniPinball_ModifiedLayout_LI (resized).jpg
    IMG_2135 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2032 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2031 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2029 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2028 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2027 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2021 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2022 (resized).JPG
    8F54112A-75A9-47B1-BD59-F1BCAD34F6B1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I want to try my hands at making a mini homebrew project and am starting this thread to post future updates and get advice.

So, first, what is a "mini" homebrew project? Simply put, the idea is to create a tabletop pinball machine with simple rules, scoring and electronics. Someday, when I retire, I want to try a full homebrew project, but I've only recently gotten into electronics, and my mechanical and carpentry skills (as well as ownership of tools) is severely lacking. However, all this year, I've been teaching myself basic circuitry and Arduino programming. I've made several projects including a game where you duel against an opponent using ultrasonic sensors and led lights, a lighted coffee mug holder that you can adjust the color of and that senses your mug and changes its lighting effects when the mug is on it, a 5x5 LED light cube with programmed modes, etc. I need to find a new project, and I thought that I have learned enough to try putting together a simple pinball machine. As I said, it will be tabletop, but have real flippers, functioning targets, hopefully ramps or wireforms, etc. I will program some simplified code and rules with Arduinos. This will take a while, but I think it will be a really good learning experience, especially as I get more used to assembling and creating things mechanically.

As soon as I make progress, I'll post some updates. But, first, I need advice, and I hope to ask a lot of it here.

Here's my first question: I am hoping to run a set of mini-flippers off of a 12v power supply. Based on some preliminary searching, I think this will work. Keep in mind that I don't need a lot of force as I will only be shooting the balls a short distance, and I plan to use ball bearings somewhere between the size of a standard pinball and a marble. Keeping things at 12v will help me ensure safety, and also enable me to use one power supply for all components, including the arduinos and LEDs. Do you agree that 12v should be sufficient? If so, do you know a source for mini flipper assemblies? Pinballlife.com only seems to have larger assemblies, and it is hard for me to decipher Marco Specialties' website in this regard. My hope is to first get the flippers and hook them up to ensure I have enough force. I'll then take this project to the next steps.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

(Oh, one more thing. I do have a theme in mind, but I think I will wait for a later date to reveal it. )

Index of updates:

Testing the flipper mechs with different voltages: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice#post-5984596

Code to control flippers: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice#post-5986341

Testing assembled flippers: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice#post-5996978 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice#post-6009773

Theme revealed: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice#post-6010828

VUK prototype: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/2#post-6063446 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/2#post-6065153 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/3#post-6080913

Middle orbit with servo motors: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/3#post-6120934 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/4#post-6196940

Left ramp: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/4#post-6135572 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/4#post-6136862

Right ramp: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/4#post-6148122

General layout and test gameplay: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/4#post-6196754 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/5#post-6219627

Revised VUK: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/5#post-6284100

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

The only smaller flipper mechs they've made are the ones used for the mini-playfields on Family Guy/Shrek/Munsters. You can probably find the parts numbers in their manuals.... But even those run off 20v, not 12. You might be able to source some lower voltage coils that fit them but it won't be a standard pinball part

What would happen if I ran 12v through those coils? Are you saying the resistance is so high, I wouldn’t have enough current to move the plunger? I don’t think I need them to be as powerful as the ones in the actual pins they were made for, but I do need them to move.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

They probably wouldn't move at all, or barely. The ones on these mini playfields aren't that strong to begin with. But no way if knowing for sure without trying it. Adding a big cap on your power supply might help.

Just looked up the specs. 8.88 ohms resistance. Supply 12v and get 1.35 amps current. It seems like one of the smaller coils out there. Watching this video at 2:30 makes me think it might work (but this will be an expensive experiment if not):

#10 3 years ago

Well, I just ordered two mini flipper assemblies from Marco. The ones for Stern. Last ones they had. Kind of expensive, so I hope it works. I suppose I could always go with 20v if necessary and then just step down the voltage for the other components, but I hope 12v will be sufficient.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Use a separate 24 V power supply for coils. It will also minimize interference to logic voltages. Design coil drivers as open collector NPN outputs, and they will work fine with 24 V coils.

I bought a power drive that is selectable from 12 to 24 volts, so I will be able to do some experimenting.

#14 3 years ago

I had not, but that one looks great. I wish he posted more details about the build.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Design coil drivers as open collector NPN outputs, and they will work fine with 24 V coils.

I was going to use transistors to turn the coils on and off. Does it matter whether the transistor is upstream of the coil or downstream? In other words, does it matter whether the transistor is controlling whether power is connected to the coil or whether the coil is connected to ground? Is one better or preferred than the other?

#20 3 years ago

I have some TIP120 Darlington transistors lying around from when I was learning how to control motors with my Arduino. I'll probably just use those (at least for the prototype) assuming they work ok.

Quoted from Tuukka:

Remember to install a diode across every coil (the banded side to coil voltage, other side to driver transistor output)

What's the purpose of this? Is it the same as when I was playing around with motors? There, I put a diode from the negative side of the motor to the positive to protect the circuit so when it was switched off, stray current is allowed to dissipate. Same here?

Also, am I correct in assuming that these coils have no polarity:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=090-5046-01-nd

So, it doesn't matter which lug goes to power and which goes to the transistor?

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

I would recommend to use an existing control system. Could be a commercial one (FAST or P/P3-Roc) or a DIY one (OPP, Lisy or APC). If you want to use MPF there is an overview here: https://docs.missionpinball.org/en/dev/hardware/index.html. If you want to program on an Arduino APC might be a good solution for you.
    Jan

Thanks, but I think I want to try this by creating as much of the electronics I can by myself, to test what I’ve learned over the past year and solve problems while I go along. If I ever do a full size home brew, I definitely will use existing systems. Here, I think I can do most of the things I want with an Arduino, or two or three.

I’m more worried about making the mechanics of it work than the electronics.

#24 3 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My flipper mechs arrive tomorrow, and I want to start testing them out. I note that they only have one wire winding, not a separate one for kick and hold like larger flipper mechs.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-7019-00

Do I need to worry about them burning out if I hold the flippers, keep them engaged? Do I need to PWM them with an Arduino once they kick?

Or will the voltage be so low for these little mechs that I needn’t worry?

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

24v mechs can still burn up quick, I'd assume you need to pwm them after the initial pulse

Thanks. By any chance, do you know what the standard is for how much to PWM?

#27 3 years ago

I love parts deliveries:

IMG_1595 (resized).JPGIMG_1595 (resized).JPG

Having now received my flipper mechs, I was able to test one out. The below video shows me testing it at 12V, 20V and 24V. When I first did it, I thought 12V was significantly weaker than the other two. However, when I took the video, the difference is less noticeable. I think I need to attach it to wood and try to hit a ball with it to see. I have both 11mm (Pachinko) balls and 3/4" balls to try. However, the wood I bought for the playfield (a large piece of particle board) is 1/2" wide, and the mech won't fit on it. I wonder if Stern uses a slightly smaller size. So, back to Home Depot to get the 1/4" version. Also, I'm missing a small roll pin on one of the mechs so can't assemble it fully. I've written to the supplier and hope they can send me one as my local hardware stores don't have them. I'm still really hoping that I can keep this at 12V for a number of reasons, one of which is it will likely mean that I can keep my existing power supply and don't need to buy a larger one with more current, but we'll see.

#28 3 years ago

I hate assembling stuff sometimes. One screw’s head fell off. The other one won’t go down all the way. And, this was the last bracket in stock for the left mini flipper. Luckily I think it is on well enough to function. Not sure I’ll be replacing the coil any time soon though.

C46B75B8-CB72-42BC-B531-67AFBD692A91 (resized).jpegC46B75B8-CB72-42BC-B531-67AFBD692A91 (resized).jpegC993656E-61EE-455A-8E7C-9B5ACEE92070 (resized).jpegC993656E-61EE-455A-8E7C-9B5ACEE92070 (resized).jpeg

#29 3 years ago

My friend helped me cut the cabinet and playfield wood out of fiber board with his table saw.

41BBD66E-F75B-423A-8854-88E5DF8163E6 (resized).jpeg41BBD66E-F75B-423A-8854-88E5DF8163E6 (resized).jpeg

#30 3 years ago

Waiting for parts today to complete the second flipper assembly and to assemble the cabinet. Home Depot never has the right size screw that I need for pinball. It is always one size lower than their lowest size. So, I'll try one of the few Ace Hardwares in my area when they open tomorrow.

In the meantime, I decided to write a little sketch to control the flippers with the Arduino. I haven't tested this yet, so there may be bugs in it, but the idea is to apply high power to the flippers for X milliseconds and then apply lower power through pulse-width modulation after that. I have two variables that I can play with to optimize the control -- HighKickTime controls how long the flipper receives high power, and PWM controls the amount of reduced power after the high kick time, with 0 being no power and 255 being full power. So, when I get my flippers hooked up, I can experiment with different values for both as well as the voltage going to the flippers themselves.

I'll post code for anyone interested. However, please keep in mind that this is untested at this time and may have bugs. If I discover any, I'll post and update the code.

// Flipper control with PWM

#define RightFlipper 9 // Pins for PWM to the transistors
    #define LeftFlipper 10

#define RightButton 7 // Pins for receiving input from the buttons
    #define LeftButton 8

int PWM = 100; // How much to PWM? Value can go between 0-255.
    int HighKickTime = 200; // Time to apply high power to flipper to get the initial kick.

boolean FirstPushRight = false; // Variable to keep track of when you first push a button.
    boolean FirstPushLeft = false;

unsigned long StartRight, CurrentRight, ElapsedRight; // Variables to keep track of how long a button is depressed.
    unsigned long StartLeft, CurrentLeft, ElapsedLeft;

void setup() {

pinMode(RightButton, INPUT);
    pinMode(LeftButton, INPUT);
    pinMode(RightFlipper, OUTPUT);
    pinMode(LeftFlipper, OUTPUT);

}

void CheckRightFlipper() {

if (digitalRead(RightButton) == HIGH) { // Right flipper button is depressed.

if (FirstPushRight == false) { // First time the button is pushed, start timer.
    StartRight = millis(); // Start timer by recording time button is pushed.
    FirstPushRight = true; // Keep track that button is pushed so as to not repeat this step.
    analogWrite(RightFlipper, 255); // Full power to do the initial kick.
    }

if (FirstPushRight == true) { // Button has already been pushed. Now measure elapsed time.
    CurrentRight = millis(); // Check current time.
    ElapsedRight = CurrentRight - StartRight; // Calculate elapsed time for how long the button has been pushed.
    }

if (ElapsedRight >= HighKickTime) { // If time elapsed exceeds the time for the initial high voltage kick, then start PWMing the signal to the flipper.
    analogWrite(RightFlipper, PWM);
    }

}

if (digitalRead(RightButton) == LOW) { // Right flipper button not depressed or has been released.
    FirstPushRight = false; // Reset variable.
    analogWrite(RightFlipper, 0); // Turn off signal to flipper.
    }

}

void CheckLeftFlipper() {

if (digitalRead(LeftButton) == HIGH) { // Left flipper button is depressed.

if (FirstPushLeft == false) { // First time the button is pushed, start timer.
    StartLeft = millis(); // Start timer by recording time button is pushed.
    FirstPushLeft = true; // Keep track that button is pushed so as to not repeat this step.
    analogWrite(LeftFlipper, 255); // Full power to do the initial kick.
    }

if (FirstPushLeft == true) { // Button has already been pushed. Now measure elapsed time.
    CurrentLeft = millis(); // Check current time.
    ElapsedLeft = CurrentLeft - StartLeft; // Calculate elapsed time for how long the button has been pushed.
    }

if (ElapsedLeft >= HighKickTime) { // If time elapsed exceeds the time for the initial high voltage kick, then start PWMing the signal to the flipper.
    analogWrite(LeftFlipper, PWM);
    }

}

if (digitalRead(LeftButton) == LOW) { // Left flipper button not depressed or has been released.
    FirstPushLeft = false; // Reset variable.
    analogWrite(LeftFlipper, 0); // Turn off signal to flipper.
    }

}

void loop() {

CheckRightFlipper();
    CheckLeftFlipper();

}

Added over 3 years ago:

Changed HighKickTime variable to 50 and PWM variable to 75. (5 Dec 2020)

Added over 3 years ago:

Changed high kick time to 60. (12-12-20)

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Not sure how it'll be with your voltages, but standard games seem to use around 40-50ms for their 'power' pulse at the beginning of the flip

Thanks for the tip. I guess I’ll try starting there and see how it goes.

#33 3 years ago

Ugh. I already see bugs in my code. Stupid double equal signs gets me every time.

#34 3 years ago

Thank goodness for Ace Hardware. They have the types of screws Home Depot doesn’t bother to carry. It allowed me to create my cabinet. I even found a roll pin to allow me to complete my left flipper assembly.

The cabinet is held together by metal brackets. The playfield sits on top of the brackets. I can easily remove it to work on the playfield and then put it back in. If this all works out, I’ll try to make something more permanent, but this is good for my “white wood”.

My first attempt to get a 6.5 degree pitch didn’t really work out. My second attempt was a lot closer, and I can easily dial it in with some rubber feet.

B90B90FC-219E-4E3E-8F66-FCEEB4617445 (resized).jpegB90B90FC-219E-4E3E-8F66-FCEEB4617445 (resized).jpegE3CD0B13-681E-48E1-8FC1-115E09FB5070 (resized).jpegE3CD0B13-681E-48E1-8FC1-115E09FB5070 (resized).jpeg

#35 3 years ago

Rainy day making boards and soldering.

AA15896D-D94C-4D98-A16A-E583D26CFADF (resized).jpegAA15896D-D94C-4D98-A16A-E583D26CFADF (resized).jpeg

#36 3 years ago

Here's my first test of the flippers:

20 Volts seems to be the magic number. The right flipper seems a bit weaker than the left, and I'm not entirely sure why. The left will work a bit more at lower voltages, while the right has trouble. And, the right seems a little weak when I hit the ball from the cradle position (i.e., when it has been held up, released, and then hit quickly again).

The right has an older flipper coil labeled from Stern on it. It was in the kit I got and it seemed a bit old. The left has a brand new looking generic coil from Marco. It could also be a bad solder joint. I'm not sure. I want to get things set up a bit more, and then I'll really be able to tell. I'll take some videos of it hitting the ball when I do. Right now, the flippers hit the ball (which is .75" in diameter) fairly hard, and it easily thumps against the top of the cabinet. I expect it will go up ramps no problem.

I've used Schottky diodes across the flipper coils. Not sure that was necessary, but since I'm PWMing the hold signal, I thought it couldn't hurt. Right now, I'm PWMing at 75/255. It seems plenty powerful and holds well at that level. That's assuming my code is actually working correctly. I think I'll try dropping it lower to see.

1 week later
    #37 3 years ago

Finished my flipper control boards and attached them to a scrap piece of wood just to get everything organized. Put a buck converter on there as well which steps down the voltage from 24V to 5V to control the logic circuits. Also hooked up flipper buttons on the side of the pinball cabinet.

IMG_1623 (resized).JPGIMG_1623 (resized).JPG

I settled on 24V to the flippers. I apply full power for 60ms and then PWM at a duty rate of 75/255. I played around with other values, but this seems to be the sweet spot. At that PWM rate, it takes a lot of force for me to try to lower the flipper when it is held up, and the ball coming at it at normal speed, won't send it down. At lower rates, I could easily push the flipper down when activated, and the ball could also lower the flipper.

Here's a video of me testing the flippers at these settings (I added some foam board return rails just to keep things moving for now):

At first, I was a little disappointed in the force the flippers applied. They would hit the ball pretty hard straight up or with a back hand. But, if I tried to hit the ball to the other side of the table by hitting it more with the tip of the flipper, it would be a very weak hit. It would never make an orbit or ramp. I tried lowering the pitch of my flippers so that I could aim for the opposite side of the table higher up on the flipper, and that seems to have helped significantly.

#38 3 years ago

Right now, I'm using a 3/4" ball. I like the size, but if I use a 5/8" ball, I can hit it with more force, it will be more in line with the scale of the table, and I can probably have a bit more space to play with on the table in terms of lanes, ramps, etc. I have some 5/8" balls coming Monday to see how they feel. One issue with going lower in size is that all the rubber rings, targets and stuff that I eventually plan to put on the table will likely have to be that much lower to the playfield itself. I also am not sure if the ball will have enough mass to trigger stand up targets if I buy standard ones. Ball size is going to dictate layout and other stuff, so I need to make a decision eventually. Next step will be to add some test ramps, orbits and stuff to start testing the layout. So maybe I'll just see how it goes and play it by ear.

#39 3 years ago

It might be time to reveal the theme I have in mind. Anyone able to guess?

BathHouse (resized).jpgBathHouse (resized).jpg

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot with the stewie/munsters mini pfs... and also with JJP games (full size). not sure what the reason is though, or why other games don't suffer from the same issue.
    Have you tried lengthening your initial pulse? Wonder if that would affect it, maybe the 'power' pulse isn't lasting the full time it takes the mech to flip when the ball is on the end slowing it down more

Yeah, I did. I lengthened it all the way to 200. No better.

#42 3 years ago

Also, I don’t know if you noticed the whine from the flippers in my video. Is that normal? It is pretty loud in person.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Or spirited away?

For the win!

Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies. So much amazing and rich content in it. I have some ideas for how to incorporate some of it in the pin. We’ll see how practical those idea are when working at this size and also how well I’m able to do any of it. For instance, I would love to be able to do a recreation of the bath house in my picture on the back of the playfield, but I have a long ways to go before I can start figuring that part out.

#45 3 years ago

My 5/8" balls arrived today. I definitely get better hits off the tip of the flipper and to the side of the table with the smaller diameter. However, when I hit them straight up the playfield, they fly. I'm worried about airballs. Unfortunately, it just seems like there is going to have to be a tradeoff here. I'm going to start building a playfield layout around the 5/8" balls first and see how that goes. The balls are more in keeping with the scale of the table overall.

I didn't realize this when I bought the mini flipper assemblies that are used for Munsters, Family Guy, etc., but the Munsters sub-playfield actually uses the 5/8" balls. I've been watching some videos, and those balls fly around. But that playfield is more compact and seems designed for it. I'll just have to see how things go.

So, onto something I'm not very familiar with, and that is prototyping the layout itself. I have lots of cardboard from Amazon boxes to try to make ball guides, ramps, etc., just to try certain things out. zacaj , I've also been skimming your own homebrew thread. Looks impressive. I saw that you started experimenting with Future Pinball to design a layout. I haven't read through the whole thread, but was that useful? I downloaded it and started playing around, but there is a bit of a learning curve. I might be better off just trying things by hand.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Not sure if it'll be helpful for you though since you're not using any standard mechs

Not standard mechs, but everything will retain roughly the same scale as a normal table, just 50% smaller. I just want to get a feel for how to fit things around each other, which it may allow me to do.

#48 3 years ago

Looking a little more like a pinball machine.

3CF39492-A362-4C5E-B227-1BF99907F22C (resized).jpeg3CF39492-A362-4C5E-B227-1BF99907F22C (resized).jpeg

#49 3 years ago

Time to make a shooter rod.

3C46BA42-8E1E-42D1-BAEB-AF0438DB1099 (resized).jpeg3C46BA42-8E1E-42D1-BAEB-AF0438DB1099 (resized).jpeg

You have to get creative when working at half the scale. Luckily, Ace Hardware to the rescue again. They have those odd parts that Home Depot just doesn’t, like collar shafts.

9237891B-156B-4191-952C-90E4A5C56A7A (resized).jpeg9237891B-156B-4191-952C-90E4A5C56A7A (resized).jpeg

It needs to be centered and have some sort of housing on the outside to prevent wiggle, but it works!

#50 3 years ago

I’m getting kind of sick of cutting cardboard and hot gluing stuff together. I thought prototyping the layout would be the fun part, but it is pretty repetitive so far. Still, I’m slowly making progress.

C76A4401-C34B-445D-845A-8AB781CB952D (resized).jpegC76A4401-C34B-445D-845A-8AB781CB952D (resized).jpeg

#52 3 years ago

Just spent 90 minutes trying to make a darn ramp and failing. So much cardboard. So much hot glue.

I never got it to fit right. All my parts are currently held onto the playfield by fun tac so I can adjust and move them around. But they also keep coming undone as I try to fit more stuff. I’m feeling frustrated and taking a break for the day. Think I’ll go to the store and pick up more hot glue sticks.

Luckily, I have an idea to try to get this ramp to work better next time.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

you're using corrugated cardboard and foamcore right? I'm surprised it wasnt working.. hot glue on corrugated cardboard or foamcore is a pretty crazy good bond usually..

Yes. It bonds well. I’m just screwing up on the dimensions. And while the individual pieces are solid, I’m attaching them to the playfield with fun tac which is not a great bond. But, it helps me play around with the exact spacing and fit for now. I have an idea for my ramp which should help. I think a lot of this is just that it’s all new to me, and I’m learning as I’m going.

#55 3 years ago

My second attempt at making a ramp went better. Here's a video of me testing it out. I plan to add a wireform on the end that returns the ball to the left flipper, but for now, it just drops the ball into the orbit.

As you can see, my shot geometry needs some improvement. Lots of cheap drains. But, I can also see this coming together with some nice flow.

#56 3 years ago

Made a second ramp today, and while it worked, I am not that happy with my shot geometry. I also thought there would be space for a saucer / VUK, but it didn't leave enough space. So, I need to adjust.

For those of you who have played around with making homebrew games, how does the process of adjusting and improving usually work? Is it just trial and error? Do you try a ramp out of cardboard or foamboard, find out it doesn't work, tear it up and try again? Are you constantly moving shots around by a few millimeters here and there? I feel like I need to remove most stuff on my playfield, adjust and put back on. I just am wondering if there is an easier way to all this. I'm guessing not, but figured I would ask if there are any tips and tricks.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I spent a good spent of time moving things around, yes. I had an initial idea of were I wanted stuff and adjusted, deleted, and added from there. For sure better to try and wrk as much out as possible in cardboard as foam.. adjusting mechs, Ramps, and posts after installed on a whitewood is much more of a pain although probably unavoidable in some cases.

Thanks. I just realized you’re the home brew Fight Club guy. That thing looks awesome! One of my favorite movies, too. I’ve been following your thread from time to time. I should go back and review it start to finish.

#60 3 years ago

I made some adjustments yesterday, and I now have space for my saucer (possible VUK). It also shoots better.

One thing I’m struggling with is the inconsistency in my shots. For instance, hitting the orbit will return the ball nicely about 60-70% of the time, but I still get quite a lot of cheap drains straight down the middle. I know every machine has some inconsistency, but I’m wondering if things just get worse on the smaller scale I’m dealing with. Less room for adjustments and small changes create larger variability. I also feel my flipper gap is too wide, but that will have to wait for the next playfield. And, I find these mini flippers to be a bit frustrating. They work ok, but they are super strong hitting straight up and lose a lot of strength when hitting to the side.

I seem like I’m full of complaints today. I just need to realize that this is mainly a fun project, and it won’t feel exactly like a real pinball machine when working on the scale I’m dealing with.

I definitely have a lot more respect for pinball designers. Having interesting layouts that actually shoot well I don’t think is as simple as we all take for granted.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd think your shot trajectory will change some once you get solid, metal guides instead of cardboard.

I think you’re probably right, which likely means get the general layout done now and save the real fine tuning for later.

#65 3 years ago

Starting making wire forms. It is a slow process. I’m trying a new (to me) kind of solder for repairing jewelry. I can barely get it to melt, let alone stick to anything. I finally got the base together by applying large amounts of flux. I may try regular electrical 60/40 rosin core solder on the next one to see if that is any easier. I give myself a B- on this one, but it is my first attempt so hopefully I’ll get better.

76F9E2AC-2DAA-4D78-8755-8E4015ADF0B5 (resized).jpeg76F9E2AC-2DAA-4D78-8755-8E4015ADF0B5 (resized).jpeg

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What kind and Guage metal are you using?

14 gauge (2mm) stainless steel. Decent size for the size ball I’m using. I can also bend and shape it pretty well by hand. It wouldn’t work for a regular sized ball and table.

#68 3 years ago

Trying the 60/40 rosin core solder was worse. Back to the original. I’m also having a difficult time making the 3D structures that stick up and out around the bends and at the ends. Need some more hands.

This guy makes it seem so easy:

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd recommend making lots of forms to hold stuff. It's one-off but worth it

What do you mean by making forms? Thanks.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Whatever is easiest for you to hold all the bits of metal while you're soldering them. 3D print some holders, make em out of sheet metal, whatever. maybe even mount the holders to a sheet of wood or something to maintain the spacing.

Got it. I did clip them down to a sheet of wood when I did that wire form just like the guy in the video I posted. Maybe for some of the ones where you have 4 wires connecting to a ramp, I can drill some holes in wood to keep them evenly spaced.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I love the idea of a scaled down pinball. I always thought that a 3/4 home brew would be about the perfect size where it would not only be not too heavy, but could fit in pretty much any vehicle (plus you could easily store it away when you're not working on it instead of taking up the space of a full sized pinball).

Mine’s about 1/2 size. We’ll see how it goes.

I took a break today. But, I did get a package. A little 24V solenoid from Amazon. This will be my attempt to make a VUK. I want to put a saucer between the left ramp and the middle orbit that returns the ball to the wire form that will be the return from the right ramp. I plan to build something simple first on a scrap board just to see if this will have enough force. I’m thinking it will — I only need to move a small ball a short distance — but I’ll just have to see. If not, . . . well, then I’ll come up with a plan B.

A1E121E2-CA7E-41F4-9D6F-FF1FDFE6E95E (resized).jpegA1E121E2-CA7E-41F4-9D6F-FF1FDFE6E95E (resized).jpeg

#75 3 years ago

I’m getting more used to soldering these steel rods together. This works as intended. Just need to make the end piece next and get it more stably mounted.

7835041E-AFEA-416F-888C-ADDEF0F8DA48 (resized).jpeg7835041E-AFEA-416F-888C-ADDEF0F8DA48 (resized).jpeg0E45F26C-AA44-418B-BB5A-0DADFBF50B37 (resized).jpeg0E45F26C-AA44-418B-BB5A-0DADFBF50B37 (resized).jpeg4904CF5E-1ABE-4BBE-BDBD-3D3B6902199F (resized).jpeg4904CF5E-1ABE-4BBE-BDBD-3D3B6902199F (resized).jpeg

I’m making less progress than I hoped to during my end of the year vacation. I blame my wife who was kind enough to get me an Oculus Quest 2 for the holidays. Very distracting!

#76 3 years ago

Not pretty, but functional.

I set it up, and it works. I need to more permanently mount it, but hearing the ball travel down the rail for the first time and end back at the return lane was pretty cool.

320D9FA1-BC3E-488E-89DA-28FBAED4D29A (resized).jpeg320D9FA1-BC3E-488E-89DA-28FBAED4D29A (resized).jpeg

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Nice job in the rails! I would have suggested brass rails and brazing with a blowtorch but looks like u got it handled with the stainless. Curious to see how the solder joints hold up

Thanks. Right now, it seems pretty strong. I was worried because I had a few bad joints that failed, but I think I got the hang of it and started doing a better job. You also can't tell from the picture, but the main rails are actually four rails -- two joined end to end. I was especially worried about that joint, but it seems pretty solid.

I am a little bit afraid of making adjustments though. I would like the entrance to bend at slightly more of an angle, but I worry that I may disturb the joints if I try that. I think it is good enough for now for the prototype. I may eventually redo the rails, if this whole project works out.

Next up: I have to make a second rail. And, I have to test out whether my idea for a VUK will work. I'm just having trouble motivating at the moment as my vacation is coming to an end. . . . I think things are going to move a bit more slowly for the time being. I want to move on to the electronics, but I really need to nail down the layout first.

#80 3 years ago

Been thinking about my VUK. I had a bit of luck over New Years. I was wondering the best way to mount that little solenoid that I bought. Lo and behold, the goat cheese I bought to eat on New Years Eve came in this little wooden box. It seems like a perfect bracket to hold the coil.

I was also wondering how best to create a saucer. I want the hole to be large enough that it captures the ball, but it also needs to center the ball under the plunger of the solenoid. I thought maybe I could find a cheap funnel to do the trick. I found this one. Not only is it the perfect size once I cut the end off, but it also bends. I may not have to make a wireform for the prototype. This actually seems like the perfect size to feed the ball onto the return rail. If it works, I’ll replace with something more permanent, but I’m pretty happy with this idea so far.

Do you guys have any experience making saucers? Ideally, it would have a beveled edge, but I’m not sure how to do that and am wondering if just a hole will do.

F5E9C59C-0F4C-4E81-BFD1-4B054A331C3D (resized).jpegF5E9C59C-0F4C-4E81-BFD1-4B054A331C3D (resized).jpeg

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Honestly because you're building at 1/2 scale, you're obviously not going to be able to just grab off the shelf parts (or already as I'm seeing, you're having to make them work such as the case with the flipper mechs). You would greatly benefit by 3d printing many of the parts you need. I'd be happy to model something up, but it would greatly benefit you to invest in a 3d printer.
    The anycubic mega zero is about the cheapest printer you can buy right now (and simple to build) at $96 (though from China is could take 4-6 weeks to get)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000730911926.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=9594035441&albag=102695258807&trgt=296904913880&crea=en4000730911926&netw=u&device=c&albpg=296904913880&albpd=en4000730911926&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0MD_BRCTARIsADXoopYjXcNOxwi7M1NKxVp_JbMXqyZqloc8WBp5XH85X2VMnUOHgWiR7ogaAlNVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    The next step up would be buying an ender3 from Walmart for $155
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Creality-3D-Ender-3-High-DIY-3D-Printer-Self-assemble-220-220-250mm-Printing-Size-with-Resume-Printing-Function/664500829?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101019803

Thanks. I’ve been thinking about that and agree that I’ll probably need a 3D printer. I’ve wanted one for some time. As I move from turning the prototype to something more permanent, I will be looking into this in more detail. I have no experience with them, so that will be a whole other learning process, but likely one that will benefit me a lot in the future.

#85 3 years ago

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I also want to learn how to make my own models someday. Let me see how far I can get on this initial prototype with just some simple materials and then I’ll look into 3D printing in a lot more detail.

#87 3 years ago

Just watched those Jack Danger clips. That’s really impressive! Part of this project is for me to pick up new skills like 3D printing. It is just that the thought of buying another device and learning how to use it at this point in time is a bit overwhelming. That time will definitely come. I just want to make some progress on these other parts first.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

for reference, this is what a typical VUK mech looks like:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6290-01
    This would be everything you need other than the ball guide to keep the ball on track, and then some sort of scoop at the top. If you're stuck on cardboard, this is what I did on the start of my homebrew before I had a 3d printer:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    You may need toothpicks to hold it up from the bottom (so there's room for the ball to fall into the hole), or you need a wall to hot glue it to so it floats.

Thanks. I was initially thinking of modeling the VUK off of the ones on my WOZ which hit the ball straight up into a circular wireform. I think for the prototype I’m going to try the funnel / tube idea. For the size ball I’m using, I think it will work, but time will tell. I will replace it with something more permanent down the road and likely turn to 3D printing at that time.

The VUK is supposed to represent the elevator scene in Spirited Away where the protagonist takes an elevator up in the bath house to get a job and gets stuck in the elevator with a Radish Spirit.

11104DAB-B165-461E-B542-9B053D5A75AF (resized).jpeg11104DAB-B165-461E-B542-9B053D5A75AF (resized).jpeg

It will go here:

1C77A020-DB76-4FFD-82EB-65925A5974E4 (resized).jpeg1C77A020-DB76-4FFD-82EB-65925A5974E4 (resized).jpeg

If the tube works, I can surround it with cardboard to be the sides of the elevator. Again, with the idea of replacing it down the road with a 3D print. And, I will need a hole in the side or to mount it above the playfield to allow space for the ball to get in as you say.

So, my next steps are:

1. Try the VUK on a scrap piece of wood just to see if it works. Right now, I don’t even know if the coil is strong enough, but I imagine it is.

2. Remove left ramp, cut off end, create and add wireform.

3. Mount both wire forms.

4. Add VUK assuming it works.

Once all that is done, I want to move on to switches and electronics. I have ideas for targets and one other mech which I’ll describe later. Before doing that, I may try to move everything to a fresh playfield and mount it all in a more secure fashion, either by still working in cardboard or starting to replace with metal and (possibly) 3D prints.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

One other thing (which I'm sure you're aware of), but your lane scale is way off, like by easily a factor of 3x. I know you're probably just doing a simple layout to prove out if a 1/2 scale can be done, but if you're going to start play testing it at the very least you want your outlane sized properly so you aren't constantly draining. Flipper gap looks pretty close.
    [quoted image]
    Look at this project for example, even though it's scaled down, most of the layout is to scale (flippers look a little big):

Agreed. And, nice illustration.

That picture, though, is not current. Take a look at the one above where I adjusted the left orbit. It is better but still needs more adjustment. I plan to move things around again when I take off the left ramp to mount the wire forms. I’m thinking I can solve some of the issues I am having with the consistency of my shots by narrowing the orbit. That said, I still want to keep the entrances a bit wide as it is a little harder to aim with the flippers and ball I’m using.

And, I’m not 100% yet on the design for the left outlane. I kind of like this idea of a wide outlane with a star post in it, but I don’t think I have it quite right yet, and don’t want to have too many frustrating drains.

#95 3 years ago

Perhaps I should think of today as any knowledge gained is making progress. That might make me feel better.

I spent a while trying to make a VUK. Unfortunately, the coil only launches the ball to the top of the bend in the curve. I think this idea of using an undulated tube is not going to work. When I try the coil with just the ball and no tube, it seems like it goes pretty high. (See video below.) I wonder if I got the ball perfectly centered and had a very smooth guide, whether I could get it up and onto the return wireform that I want.

toyotaboy You may be right that I'm going to need some 3D prints to proceed with this project. It might be time to seriously explore getting a printer. Perhaps if I can make a better bracket that has the coil perfectly centered and create a nice guide, it will have enough force to do what I want. I need to figure this out as it will affect the rest of the pin. I would like a nice VUK that sends the ball to the return wireform from the right ramp. Alternatively, if I can't get that, I could just create a scoop type kick-out. I probably have enough force for that at a minimum.

Any thoughts from the experts?

IMG_1683 (resized).jpgIMG_1683 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1685 (resized).jpgIMG_1685 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1686 (resized).jpgIMG_1686 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1688 (resized).jpgIMG_1688 (resized).jpg

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Oh yeah, that tube is ‘corrugated’ on the inside isn’t it? You want something smooth and more rigid. A 3D print it great, but you can do this pretty easy with a few pieces of cardboard and hot glue, should hold up fine.
    Cut the vuk shape out of 2 sides, then the ‘top’ piece bends to their shape.

I should give that a try. toyotaboy has the cut out template in one of his posts above.

#100 3 years ago

You guys were right. I should have listened from the get go rather than try that funnel tube. This got it to work. I still need to make sure I can position it well enough to get the ball onto the wire form, but I think that will just be a matter of final adjustments.

DC95F01B-037B-4A46-AE9E-419BB5D46B27 (resized).jpegDC95F01B-037B-4A46-AE9E-419BB5D46B27 (resized).jpeg

2E1C1A57-38E2-40F0-B209-04400E2A456C (resized).jpeg2E1C1A57-38E2-40F0-B209-04400E2A456C (resized).jpeg

#101 3 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what brand and model of 3D printer do you all have? It is becoming increasingly clear to me that in order to effectively move this project forward, I will need one at some point. And, that point may be coming sooner than I realized. The Ender 3 seems like a good low budget one. But, it also seems that if I pay a little more, I can get one with an enclosure and some self-balancing features. I may be willing to do that. I have cats, and I don't want them bothering the prints. I know you can get an enclosure for the Ender, but that just adds to the cost. I also know that people make their own enclosures, but I don't want to tackle an added project right now.

Also, it seems like PLA may be the best choice of polymer for printing, as it is the least toxic (perhaps non-toxic), and I don't have a great place to put the printer where there is a lot of ventilation. I assume PLA is perfectly acceptable for the types of prints I would be doing, is that right?

#106 3 years ago

Thanks guys for all the advice and input. After doing some research, I’m thinking about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJG431N/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_MvB.Fb5GRW9HK

It is a little pricier than the ender 3, but it is fully assembled and enclosed. Also, based on some research, people seem pretty happy with it and it’s software. The printing area is a bit smaller than the ender at 6” cubed. However, that should be large enough for most prints. It won’t be large enough if I want to print ramps, but I assume I can do those in parts and attach them together in some way, correct?

toyotaboy I hear you about the ender and the ability to make my own enclosure. I just don’t want to get sidetracked and am willing to pay a little more for one that has a bit less hassle to get started.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ugh, don't buy that. It's a flashforge clone which is only supported on one side of the bed (design flaw). When I owned one it printed ok for a year then started to give horrible fish scale and I got rid of it. You could buy an ender3 and a separate enclosure for less.
    amazon.com link »
    amazon.com link »

Are you sure? The Monoprice Voxel was a flashforge clone so I steered away from it. I didn’t think this one was.

I probably should just listen to you. You were right about the VUK.

#110 3 years ago

Ok. You’re turning me around in the right direction. This is why I turn to pinside.

#112 3 years ago

Ender 3 ordered! Thanks for keeping me on the right track, guys!

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

good choice. if you have questions ask away. dont use the horrible manual to assemble, you are better off following along with a youtube build video.
    also if you need 3d models i can help, just need a sketch with some dimensions.

Will do. Thank you! I’m going to try to play around with tinkercad this weekend to learn the basics while I wait for delivery.

And, I may tackle soldering the second wireform . . . . which I’ve kind of been avoiding.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

consider freecad

Sure. Will look into it.

#117 3 years ago

Been messing around with CAD programs today. I thought I would start with tinkerCAD since it seems very intuitive and user friendly. However, I quickly discovered that it is also very limited. For instance, you can only make right triangles. I wanted to try to model my slingshots since they will be small and non-active. Just triangles with a rubber ring around them. And, they won't be right triangles.

So, once again, toyotaboy had it right, and I started learning freeCAD. It is definitely not intuitive. However, there are lots of good tutorials and videos to learn various things. I quickly was able to make this model. I need to add a groove around the edge for the rubber ring, and I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. But, I'm still learning the tools. Once I figure that out, I'll add some holes for screws as well, which I know how to do.

Slingshot (resized).JPGSlingshot (resized).JPG

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you truly get stuck with something and just need a model let me know. You can export to IGES, and I can export it back out.

Thanks. Appreciate it. I do want to learn this stuff. That said, the groove is driving me a bit crazy. There’s a sweep function in freecad that I think I need to use, but I can’t get it to work right. I think I did stumble on a video that will help and will try again tomorrow.

#124 3 years ago

Just signed up for onshape. The interface itself just seems like a huge improvement over freecad. Will try to start learning it tomorrow. Good excuse to keep procrastinating from making my second wireform.

#129 3 years ago

Woo hoo!

Thanks, zacaj ! Onshape to the rescue! Much, much, much easier to use.

Slingshot2 (resized).JPGSlingshot2 (resized).JPG

Slingshot3 (resized).JPGSlingshot3 (resized).JPG

Slingshot4 (resized).JPGSlingshot4 (resized).JPG

#131 3 years ago

VUK bracket for my little solenoid.

VUK Bracket 1 (resized).JPGVUK Bracket 1 (resized).JPG
    VUK Bracket 2 (resized).JPGVUK Bracket 2 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #132 3 years ago

Set up my 3D printer this weekend and have been trying to print my mini slingshot. Turns out 7th times the charm thanks to some spot on advice from toyotaboy

CD9FC0E2-EACD-4741-879D-5B1F136931C5 (resized).jpegCD9FC0E2-EACD-4741-879D-5B1F136931C5 (resized).jpeg

#133 3 years ago

This weekend, I adjusted everything -- the size of my lanes, a bit of the geometry, etc. I also added the stationary slingshots. Overall, it shoots better with fewer cheap drains down the sides. I still think my flipper gap is too large, but we'll save that for down the road.

IMG_1720 (resized).JPGIMG_1720 (resized).JPG

I needed to adjust the curve of my return rail from the right ramp. I 3D printed some tools using the theory that they would keep the rails separated evenly while I twisted and perhaps not dislodge the cross pieces. Unfortunately, I did in fact dislodge a cross piece so that will have to be fixed down the road when I work on these again.

IMG_1721 (resized).JPGIMG_1721 (resized).JPG

I also 3D printed the coil bracket for my VUK. This one took many attempts to get right.

IMG_1722 (resized).JPGIMG_1722 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1723 (resized).JPGIMG_1723 (resized).JPG

Even now, it is only 90%, but that is probably good enough. I continue to get a few layers that don't bond together perfectly. You can see that in this picture towards the top.

IMG_1724 (resized).JPGIMG_1724 (resized).JPG

I really think it has to be my slicer settings rather than something wrong with my Ender mechanically. I printed the dog model that came pre-loaded on the SD card that came with the Ender, and it printed perfectly. That was pre-sliced.

I've tried upping the extruder temperature, lowering the fan, lowering print speed, etc. What worked the best was increasing the number of layers for my walls, but even then, I still get these lines. Perhaps I need to increase that even further. I'm still getting used to 3D printing, but this one thing has me the most frustrated. I just haven't been able to nail the setting that is causing this. I tried making a small test model -- just a small, vertical wall -- that I could print and try multiple settings until it works. That way I would have results in an hour instead of waiting the 5 hours it takes me to print the bracket. However, just my luck, the test "wall" printed perfectly the first time on settings that don't seem to work for the bracket, despite it being the same thickness. I'm going to try a few other things and then try to post in some online forums for help.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

The 3d printer REALLY has advanced this project a lot. As for the layers, I wonder if you got some bad filament. Some filament is just crap, some filament absorbs too much moisture (sometimes you can save it if you dry it out). I know you probably don't have a lot of spools yet, but I have a lot to store so I have a rubber sealed plastic storage bin (pick it up at almost any store like walmart), and then buy one of these to absorb the moisture:
    amazon.com link »
    It's simply a container of silica gel that changes color when it gets too moist. When it does, you plug it in the wall for 6-8 hours (has built in heater), and it's good to go again.

It's a good thought. I was wondering about the filament. It's Ender branded filament.

I did buy a second spool of grey Sunlu PLA, as I heard that was a good brand, so I can try that when I get a chance.

If the filament is bad, however, I wonder why the pre-sliced dog model that came with the SD card printed so perfectly?

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

what sort of layer thickness are you trying? I usually get slight errors when using 0.2mm, but 0.15 or 0.1 work okay. My 3d printer has also had a few weird minor issues like this that I've been trying to figure out (the biggest remaining being that sometimes the very outermost layer of wall doesn't quite adhere to the rest) but usually they aren't issues that effect the functionality much

I'm using 0.2 mm for my layer thickness. I did at one point go down to 0.16 mm, and that seemed to do a bit better. However, when I made my test wall, I went back to 0.2 to start testing from there, and that printed so perfectly, that I assumed the layer thickness wasn't the issue. But, perhaps I should go back to playing around with that.

Separately, when you guys build your prototype playfields with cardboard ramps, what do you use to keep the ramps in place on the playfield itself? I think I mentioned, I've been using poster tack because I can easily get things in place and then later move things around. However, it doesn't stick great to everything, and some things get pushed out of place by the ball. I don't want to hot glue them directly to the playfield, as I then can't adjust things. Is there something better to use?

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've put blue tape on my playfield in that area, THEN hot glued. It tends to peel off easier, and if it does rip up the tape that's easier to replace than the whole playfield.

Great idea. Thanks.

#140 3 years ago

Found this video about moisture and filament. It pretty much summarizes what’s been happening with my prints, down to the fact of being able to snap some prints in half. Though, it does seem that this guy has it worse. I guess I’ll be switching my filament out for the Sunlu brand and hope that solves things.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

I really love the idea of a mini pinball. There was a mini pinball on the Ben Heck show. He said, with the smaller scale, it feels very different than a fullsize pinball.
    What is your experience with the smaller form factor?

Hard to say so far because I’m still optimizing things and playing on a rough prototype. It’s fast, and there seems to be less room for error. Also, so much of pinball is about nudging, and I’m not sure that will be possible with the smaller size. I mean, it will be possible, but a little slap would likely go a lot further.

#144 3 years ago

I reprinted my mini sling shots with new filament. Both came out nearly perfect with no layer separation. I do think my original filament was bad, so hopefully that’s now solved. I’ll try to reprint my solenoid bracket tomorrow as a final test. I also kind of like the grey color even though I haven’t settled on a final color scheme yet.

66BE8965-F675-46D3-9854-B7B3EDAAE197 (resized).jpeg66BE8965-F675-46D3-9854-B7B3EDAAE197 (resized).jpeg

Unfortunately, when I moved things around last weekend to optimize my lane geometry, I made one fatal flaw:

AFDB8056-54F6-4943-B571-B137C18095CB (resized).jpegAFDB8056-54F6-4943-B571-B137C18095CB (resized).jpeg

That wall along the back orbit can’t be flat like that. The ball sometimes gets caught up. So, today I was back at it moving stuff around. I think I have a geometry that works, but I’m sick of cardboard, poster board, and sticky tack. I’m thinking about 3D printing the lane guides and getting a more solid, permanent structure in there. I think my game is small enough that printing those guides will work. I was originally thinking of making them out of metal, but I have no welding skills. So, this seems like a decent solution. Can anyone think of any issues with doing that?

#145 3 years ago

I found a model for the Radish Spirit from Spirited Away and printed it. This guy’s definitely going near the VUK. ED178E71-7DDD-4BA2-8B22-7D28921645DD (resized).jpegED178E71-7DDD-4BA2-8B22-7D28921645DD (resized).jpeg

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

you can make them out of metal without any welding; lots of different ways. for a while i 3d printed little clips that would hold a strip of metal (you slide the clips on the strip from the end). Or you can do like bally did with their shooter arches, which was take a thick metal rod, and then use a two piece plastic post with a 'lip' on each side to grasp the rod without touching the ball. For my current homebrew I made the guides all out of metal, but just using a drill and some small screws. I bent L brackets out of aluminum strips, then drilled holes in them and in a strip of stainless at the same height, and just screwed them together.
    3d printing them isn't a bad idea either though, I did that for my inlane guides and other smaller stuff where the profile was more important. The only issue is, if you want to adjust it, you'll need to print a new one. An hour or two turn around to every single guide on your playfield might limit your ability to play with the layout. with the metal to some extent you can bend it to tweak to how you like it.

Really good point about the ability to make small adjustments. I like the idea of trying to print some clips that can hold a metal strip in place. I may try that, and then once I get the dimensions, do something more permanent. Either way, I’m ready to move on from disposable materials. I need something solid that stays in place before I do more on the ramps and wire forms. Right now, every time I move something, I mess a bunch of stuff up.

#148 3 years ago

Anyone have decent experience with servo motors? Here’s my idea for the middle orbit. I’ll have two motors at each entrance which control arms that will either block a set of three targets, block the orbit itself, or stay open, all depending upon what’s going on. For instance, my idea is that they initially block the orbit. You then open the orbit by hitting all three targets. I could even just close one end of the orbit to make a ball lock.

My question is whether the force of the ball will move the servo motor itself and thus move the arms? Is this just a matter of getting the right motors? Also, if it does move the arms, will that create short bursts of electrical current that could damage stuff?

I could probably block the movement of the arms physically in at least one direction, but harder to do both directions.

8D3B38E9-CBDE-40C1-A850-E0473F7506DF (resized).jpeg8D3B38E9-CBDE-40C1-A850-E0473F7506DF (resized).jpeg

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Because of the gearing inside servos, they're pretty decent at holding position. As for controlling them, it's not going to be simple. They are based on data defining the rotation. Normally you would use an arduino to set positions (using a potentiometer to figure out what the values need to be), but I did find this handy simplistic device normally used for cosplay where you can dial in the position of each switch position:
    That one is only 2 position.. there has to be a 3 position version.

Thanks. I’ll be using an arduino. If I remembered correctly, there’s a great library to control servo motors. You basically just set the angle you want, and that’s it. I’m fairly confident on the programming part. I wasn’t so sure on the stability of a motor that repeatedly takes a force.

#152 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

AMH used a servo to control a swinging door that took a beating

Interesting. It does look like the door moves with the ball but then goes back into position. So, there may be a bit of movement. I wonder if it creates any electrical surges. For instance, if you accidentally move the 3D printer without disengaging the stepper motors, it’s not good and the LCD screen will flash.

#153 3 years ago

Perfect print. Further proof that my PLA was bad.

B4FA2BE5-4422-403C-BA43-CE734758D8E0 (resized).jpegB4FA2BE5-4422-403C-BA43-CE734758D8E0 (resized).jpeg

#157 3 years ago

Thanks all. Useful information.

#158 3 years ago

I found a 10 foot strip of tin used for making cookie cutters on Amazon for $10. Seemed perfect for making ball guides for my mini pin. Following zacaj advice, I 3D printed some brackets. They’re a bit difficult to get on, but once on, they slide along the strip quite well and stay on. I’ve cut up my hands quite a bit just with two brackets so far. Time to put on some cut resistant gloves, or perhaps change the bracket dimensions a bit. This weekend I’ll hopefully replace my poster board ball guides with something more stable.

7A0E0E3D-D5ED-402D-B078-0872EC575DF3 (resized).jpeg7A0E0E3D-D5ED-402D-B078-0872EC575DF3 (resized).jpeg

DC9248A3-275B-40FD-BD49-5674B04D0111 (resized).jpegDC9248A3-275B-40FD-BD49-5674B04D0111 (resized).jpeg

9CCBFE00-14E5-4249-AEA1-C4F48DE22223 (resized).jpeg9CCBFE00-14E5-4249-AEA1-C4F48DE22223 (resized).jpeg

#160 3 years ago

Got the metal ball guides in yesterday. It is very nice to have something that stays in place and lets you fine tune more precisely.

DF27B2D1-4F2F-4302-A8D7-8BCCAA52CDC7 (resized).jpegDF27B2D1-4F2F-4302-A8D7-8BCCAA52CDC7 (resized).jpeg

The cookie cutter tin strips I got are fine for a prototype, but do deform pretty easily so they don’t look perfect. Once the geometry is nailed down, I may 3D print the guides just to have a more smooth and cleaner look.

Already this is shooting better.

6D36F32D-C651-4E98-8B9B-C27C20534F78 (resized).jpeg6D36F32D-C651-4E98-8B9B-C27C20534F78 (resized).jpeg

I do think that my left ramp is taking up too much space and not leaving enough room for where I want to put the VUK. I have a really cool idea for how to change that, but it is going to test my newly learned CAD design skills. I’ll post back more later about it.

#161 3 years ago

I will say that I was initially reluctant to get a 3D printer because I was worried I would get too distracted and it would take time away from this project. And, in fact, I did fall into that 3D printing rabbit hole for a few weeks. However, now that I have a feel for it, it is truly enabling. If I have an idea, I don’t need to worry about finding miscellaneous parts to make it happen. I just make my own parts. Ultimately, I can move faster with it. I don’t think I could conceive of this project without one anymore.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't know what your other hobbies or skills are, but you'd be amazed at the non-pinball things you can design. I don't know how many drill fixtures I've printed over the years. If you can 3d model, a 3d printer is a priceless tool to have.
    If you get your shot geometry to where you want it, I would order some thin stainless strip:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/1421T41

Oh, yeah. This will be great for other things. I’ve been doing a bunch of electronic projects. In the past, just finding a housing in the size I wanted was a challenge. For example, for a game I made, I needed a couple of handheld buttons. I found a rectangular plastic housing on Amazon, drilled holes in it, and then filed the holes to get them large enough for the buttons. No more! Now, I just make what I need.

#165 3 years ago

Well, here's my idea for the replacement for the left ramp. I have no idea if this will work, but it will be fun to try. Left Ramp (resized).JPGLeft Ramp (resized).JPG

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

well that's something.. you might even get away with printing that without support.

There will be a little support on the overhang to the right, but I don’t think I need any elsewhere. Will try printing tomorrow. This was all a bit of guesswork as I was designing it. We’ll see . . . .

#171 3 years ago

It works! Feeling pretty awesome right now!

2F61D843-73D8-4E6D-9816-E981684DE168 (resized).jpeg2F61D843-73D8-4E6D-9816-E981684DE168 (resized).jpeg

D938FB31-9D9F-4120-A9B1-B0A83EA81FBD (resized).jpegD938FB31-9D9F-4120-A9B1-B0A83EA81FBD (resized).jpeg

95A7866D-6B67-4779-B446-CF78FB1A2510 (resized).jpeg95A7866D-6B67-4779-B446-CF78FB1A2510 (resized).jpeg

#172 3 years ago

The ramp is supposed to represent the character Haku in his spirit form, and the wireform will snake back to the right return lane.

C5CA3A0B-E9C6-4315-8993-B3909D8EDB94 (resized).jpegC5CA3A0B-E9C6-4315-8993-B3909D8EDB94 (resized).jpeg

One thing that I didn’t think about is that the exit from the ramp heads slightly up the playfield. I should have angled it down. However, the ball comes out with enough speed that if I make the wireform turn down right at the exit, it should be fine. I could also try redesigning it if it becomes an issue, but I think I’ll be fine.

It would be great to actually try to mold the face of the Haku dragon spirit around the entrance to the ramp, but I don’t have the skills for that. I may try to decorate it in some way with his image though.

#175 3 years ago

Thanks all. It was fun to design.

Quoted from jorro:

Now you need to find a haku to go on top of the ramp![quoted image]

Hey, you want to be my art designer?

Took a stab at designing the left ramp today. It is too big to print on the Ender 3, so I had to split it into two parts. Again, this is all new to me, so this is a bit of trial and error. Will try to print it over the next couple of days.

Right Ramp (resized).JPGRight Ramp (resized).JPG

#176 3 years ago

This did not work out as planned. First, I messed up and somehow got way off on the dimensions for my right ramp. The one I printed is far too large.

On top of that, while the bottom section printed perfectly, the top section’s walls are not sticking together well and are spongy. There is also some layer separation. The top section is an odd shape with the ramp curving up and then down as it goes around the bend. Because of the way it is shaped, it was printed entirely on supports with the walls at an angle from the z axis. I wonder if it is just hard to print, or if I have some under extrusion that is manifesting itself because of the difficult shape.

Regardless, I need to recalibrate and try again. Finding out your print is bad at the end of a two hour print is frustrating. Finding out it is bad at the end of a 25 hour print is exceedingly annoying.

03F903EA-6E47-49EB-A191-80CC53F790F9 (resized).jpeg03F903EA-6E47-49EB-A191-80CC53F790F9 (resized).jpeg

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

have you considered simply filling in material underneath (especially if a ball is never going underneath)? Or you could print it flat, add a boss or two on the back to raise it up (so you have the slant). A lot of real pinball ramps (one I can think of is the giant ramp on back to the future) are actually flat.. the upper half is mounted high, and the entrances droop down and then get attached to the playfield.

That’s a really good idea. I didn’t realize that a lot of ramps are flat.

One issue I have is that the back part of the ramp travels horizontally across the back of the playfield, so it has to angle down, otherwise the ball might get stuck. But, I could probably have the right side of the ramp raised slightly higher than the left to make that happen.

Do you think the weird curves I was trying to do could have led to my soft, separated wall issue?

#181 3 years ago

I’ve been printing at 210 with this filament for a while now so don’t think it is a heat issue. And, it seems to have started happening mid print. I’ll check those other things. Thanks all.

#182 3 years ago

Attempt number 2 to make my right ramp went much better. I cleaned the nozzle on my 3D printer and tightened the gears. I also redesigned the ramp, following the suggestion of toyotaboy to print it flat. I was wondering how best to loft it at an angle when I noticed that one of the ramps on one of my pins had these slotted grooves in the side so that it could be mounted to a straight post at an angle. I thought that was the perfect solution, so I added that to the ramp. I also was much, much, much, much more careful about measuring the dimensions this time. And, since the back of the ramp lies flat across the back of the playfield, I arced it along a curve so balls can't get stuck there. It was just slightly too large to print with the ramp flap, so I took off the ramp flap and printed that as a separate piece.

IMG_1747 (resized).jpegIMG_1747 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1748 (resized).jpegIMG_1748 (resized).jpeg

Next step will be to mount it to some posts and do some more work on the rails.

#184 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Interesting geometry on the corner

Yeah, because that’s an area of horizontal travel, that curve is solely there to prevent a slow ball from coming to rest. Typically, the ball just travels along the back wall as expected.

2 weeks later
    #185 3 years ago

Pretty slow progress as of late. Life's getting in the way. But, I was able to mount my right ramp, and finish and mount the wireform off of it. I had to make a custom starpost that had the indent for the rubber ring a bit lower to accommodate my smaller ball. I attached it to the playfield through a t-nut and hooked the end of the wireform onto it. Works pretty well. The wireform still needs a bit of work. Really fast shots will fall off around the bend -- easy fix with another side rail. And slow shots can get caught at the lower part of the entrance to the wireform. That will be a bit of a harder fix, but I think I can reconfigure it.

I also ordered some servo motors to try out my idea for gates around the inner orbit. I should get those this week.

Still need to make the wireform for the left ramp. Will probably start on that tomorrow.

Here's a few pics including a video of me trying the ramp by hand.

IMG_1789 (resized).jpegIMG_1789 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1790 (resized).jpegIMG_1790 (resized).jpeg

#186 3 years ago

The more I play with it, the more I realize the left ramp could be a lot better. It takes a near perfect shot to make it through the loop. Most shots get rejected. I have to decide whether I'm ok with that -- some games have such a shot that you need to nail perfectly -- or whether I want to redesign it.

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Any idea why they are rejecting? Too tight a turn to make the loop?

It’s weird because when I first tested it, it worked for the most part. Maybe I just got lucky. But now it is rejecting more than it is letting through. I’m tempted to make the bottom a bit longer and the tube diameter a bit wider to see if that will help. I’m debating whether to try that now or work on other areas of the table and come back to it.

Honestly, though, this table is pretty brutal and unforgiving. The ball moves really fast, and it is hard to react in time. Very different than full sized. The flippers are too powerful on the middle shots, but if I turn them down, the wide shots become difficult. That inner loop just chucks the ball back at you. I haven’t played Munsters, where these flippers are used on the lower playfield with a ball the same diameter as mine, but I can’t imagine players can keep the ball in play on that lower playfield for long.

All in all, this is meant to be a fun experiment / learning experience. We’ll see how playable it is when I’m done with everything. There may be only so much I can do at this scale.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Munsters and Family Guy both give you unlimited ball saves for a set time, probably for this reason. They're also not very drain compared to yours, since they have no outlanes, but when you do drain, you usually don't have time to really react

Ah. Good to know. I think the way I code this will be very dependent on how it plays. Might need to make it a 10 ball game.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

your ramp and wireform looks so good.
    i kind of have the same issue right now. for my right ramp i need the ball to be fast, but i noticed that with a faster ball, my other ramps/loops reject the ball more often.
    i would suggest to make the flippers weaker, so that it feels allright, and try to modify the ramps that would need more speed. maybe make them flatter, so that a slow ball can make it.
    This is the problemsolving that nobody will see in the finished machine , and yet those problems take so much time...

I tried weakening the flippers a bit by reducing the voltage from 24V to 20V. The problem then was that the ball barely made it around the orbit and couldn’t make it up the left ramp. I put it back to 24V and played some more. I did make the left ramp a few more times, so even though it rejects a lot, I think I’ll leave it for now. I want to move onto other areas of the game. I may go back and redesign it eventually, but I’ll wait and see how everything comes together first.

It was interesting what zacaj said about Munsters not having outlanes on the mini playfield. I’m thinking about closing my right outlane to have fewer drains and more ball time. Already I get so many drains down the middle that I don’t have time to react to save. I may not want to deal with a full set of outlanes as well.

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Also assuming you've tried reducing the playfield angle to reduce speed?

Not yet, but at some point I’m going to redo my cabinet and move the playfield over to plywood, not particle board (that was a mistake), and when I do that I’ll add in something that allows more freedom of adjustment on the pitch.

#195 3 years ago

It’s freezing outside today so instead of taking my usual lunch break walk, I decided to make some progress on my other wireform by joining the upper and lower sections together. Can anybody guess what I did wrong? Will have to redo it. Waste of 45 minutes.

62593A90-B5EE-4C46-9CC5-61ED18BB0A61 (resized).jpeg62593A90-B5EE-4C46-9CC5-61ED18BB0A61 (resized).jpeg

#196 3 years ago

Fixed.

E21E1992-AD39-48DD-90AD-9E3E5046F666 (resized).jpegE21E1992-AD39-48DD-90AD-9E3E5046F666 (resized).jpeg

#198 3 years ago

Rails are all done and mounted, including the slight fixes to the left rail.

0FDD1E71-7858-4D0D-BCEE-95AF02AF8309 (resized).jpeg0FDD1E71-7858-4D0D-BCEE-95AF02AF8309 (resized).jpeg

#199 3 years ago

Also this week, I worked on my plan to use servo motors to control gates around the inner orbit.

As it turns out, most people use servo motors to control pretty thick shafts. But for my scale, I want a fairly thin rod to stick up through the playfield. I found these couplings at Servocity which can be drilled out to hold a much thinner shaft. I’m using 2 mm rods.

FE14BC7F-275E-4DD3-BC41-49980437F3BE (resized).jpegFE14BC7F-275E-4DD3-BC41-49980437F3BE (resized).jpeg

The problem is the coupling itself is pretty thick and I don’t want to have to drill that size hole through the playfield. So I made and printed a spacer to keep the whole thing underneath. I just need long enough screws to attach it. The spacer has a cut away in the side allowing me to adjust the set screws to hold my shaft in place.

3611E8E7-B322-4176-A30A-024E506F8AFC (resized).jpeg3611E8E7-B322-4176-A30A-024E506F8AFC (resized).jpeg
    44FF1F2C-A4D6-4A84-8469-D8AD2D40A0F6 (resized).jpeg44FF1F2C-A4D6-4A84-8469-D8AD2D40A0F6 (resized).jpeg

I also printed the gates themselves. To attach them to the rods, I bent the rods at a 90 degree angle. I designed in a channel in the horizontal direction and some “clips” in the vertical direction to snap the rods in place. It’s pretty solid, but we’ll see how well it holds up during play. It took some experimenting to find the right dimensions to get the rods to snap into the gate properly.

94C34860-297F-47E4-84EF-7179D1B7B50A (resized).jpeg94C34860-297F-47E4-84EF-7179D1B7B50A (resized).jpeg

#200 3 years ago

I'm looking for some stand up targets for a few locations. Right now, I'm thinking about some for in front of the half circle plastic that forms my inner orbit. All I'm finding for the narrow ones are 1/2" x 1" targets like these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-12-x-1-small-rectangle-target-switch.html

Anyone know if anyone makes anything smaller or if any game used smaller targets? 1 inch is a bit too tall for me, and I wouldn't mind a bit narrower than 1/2". I'm guessing not as all of these would be for regular size games, but I thought I would throw the question out there.

I wonder if I'm better off trying to make my own by buying individual leaf switch leaves and spacers. It sounds like a lot of work, and I would rather not go down that route if not necessary.

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

American Pinball made thinner ones for their games, not sure if they're sold anywhere though.
    For a few on mine, I just took existing circle targets and ground off the sides to make them narrower

Thanks. I’ll check it out. And that’s not a bad idea.

#204 3 years ago

I could go with this and grind the top down, if I don’t mind light blue:

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/3-8-x-1-light-blue-stand-up-target-front-mount-swif0010-11

One of the issues is that I haven’t decided on a color scheme yet. When I do, I may be redoing a bunch of things.

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

The target face is riveted on, could you remove it, keep the mechanical portion and 3D print a new target face?

Thanks. I’m sure I could cobble something together if pressed. I was just hoping to find a preexisting solution.

#207 3 years ago

I attached the gates that guard the mini orbit this weekend. It took longer than expected to get the configuration right. It still needs some adjustment. Here is a game play video with the gates active. Right now, I just have them on a loop so I can test out how they perform. Eventually, they'll be controlled by the logic of the game. I also attach a separate, shorter video showing how the concept of the ball lock works.

I'm not sure how well these gates will last / perform in the long term. A couple of times, one came partially off of the rod that it is clipped onto. I may have to think of a sturdier way to attach them.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Wow that is so cool! It looks really good, the ramps are awesome! The gates are a really cool Idea. What kind of switches are you planning to put in for the locks? Opto switches?
    That makes me wanna build a Mini Pinball as well

Thanks very much.

Not sure about the switches yet. I have a bunch of optical proximity sensors that I may try to use in a few places. I may also try optos or physical switches for certain things. That will be next phase.

Next up is designing and testing the VUK to put in the empty space to the left of the mini orbit. The idea is for the VUK to deposit the ball on the return wireform on the left.

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Man that ball rockets around that mini orbit! Love it!

Yeah, I love it too. I wish it was a little more consistent, but it’s a cool shot.

I printed a prototype of the VUK chute today. Got the dimensions a bit wrong, and the walls were too thin. Will try again tomorrow.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vegas9:

Nokoro - The thinner stand-up targets from American Pinball are available on our Web Store: https://store.american-pinball.com/search?q=Stand-up+target
    Best of luck with your homebrew!
    -Michael

Hey, thanks very much. By any chance do you know what the thickness is from the face of the target measuring back through the foam and metal backing?

3 weeks later
    #215 2 years ago

I printed a VUK guide and decided to try it out on an old board before I installed it. The first time I hooked it up, the ball went up and came back down without going out. I unscrewed the guide on top and then reinstalled, and this time the VUK worked, sending the ball out. I’m not sure what the difference was since I don’t think the positioning of the guide really changed, at least not much. This might suggest that the tolerances between working and not working are really narrow. I guess I’ll just try to install it on the pin and see what happens.

AD6E00D8-7C72-4FC9-AEB3-D10DF767D658 (resized).jpegAD6E00D8-7C72-4FC9-AEB3-D10DF767D658 (resized).jpeg

#217 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Could the ball have to much room to bounce around?

I don’t know. My main concern was whether the little solenoid would have enough power. The first time I tried, I tried about 10 different times, and it wouldn’t come out. Then, after adjusting or whatever I did, it came out consistently. So, the coil has enough power. Something was probably just a bit off. If it doesn’t work when I put it in the pin, I’ll start to play around with the dimensions.

#218 2 years ago

I installed the VUK today. The good news is that the ball does make it up and out. The bad news is that the ball falls into the orbit more often than falling onto the wireform. That's likely an easy fix -- just need to extend the bottom lip of the VUK chute. The other bad news may be more difficult to deal with. When I try to hand roll the ball into the VUK with some force (approximately what it would get from the flippers), it bounces out without falling into the hole. I may have to make a groove leading up to it to direct the ball into the hole. Or perhaps make the hole a bit bigger, but not too big that the ball doesn't land on the saucer underneath the playfield that the coil is centered under.

Other issues: My ball gates around the mini-orbit are starting to get loose on the metal rods and are no longer so firmly snapped in place. I'm thinking printing those gates may not work long term. I may try to make the gates just out of the metal rod itself in a zig zag pattern.

Also, I hate, hate, hate drilling and screwing stuff into this particle board that I'm using for the playfield. Using that was a mistake. I should have just used plywood from the get go. The screw holes get stripped way too easily with particle board. At some point, I'll move everything over to plywood. I just was hoping to figure out the full layout first.

(By the way, ignore the color that I'm printing everything in. I haven't decided on a final color scheme. Right now, I'm just printing with whatever filament is already loaded in the printer.)

IMG_1939 (resized).JPGIMG_1939 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1940 (resized).JPGIMG_1940 (resized).JPG

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

If you've got any room behind the hole, extend the side walls back and make a little catching area. optimally it'd have an angled back/top wall to channel the horizontal ball movement to vertical and then let it fall into the hole (a bit hard to describe but hopefully you get the idea). Some deadening foam might help too. You might be able to a setup like Baywatch's center vuk where it has a little channel that bends off to the side behind the hole to give it space to slow the ball down without it just bouncing back through

I know what you’re talking about. I have something similar on the castle VUK on my WOZ, though it’s a groove in the wood. I’m not sure there’s enough room though for me to do that. Perhaps off to the right where there’s empty space. I’m not sure I could get the ball to curve around to the right though. I’ll give it some thought.

#222 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Yup, WoZ is another good example. You'd be surprised how tight a turn the ball can make, especially when your goal is to kill its momentum anyway

Yeah, it’s a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Will try to work something up.

#225 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

that is a great idea! i was fighting with the same issue. My solution was putting a piece of foam there. it is about 1cm thick. it works, but i would rather do it like zacaj suggested.[quoted image]

That’s another idea, and I may try that first. I’m not great at editing my CAD files once I design something. It seems I always mess something else up. It might be easier for me to add a 7-10 mm recess in the back to put a piece of foam there than to curve the ball around in a channel to the right. We’ll see what I can cobble together to try.

I like all the ideas. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Quoted from alexanr1:

Just catching up on your thread. Fun project to watch.
    What the solenoid needs to get it moving is current not voltage. Just an FYI...

Thanks. Yes, you are right. However, since the coil has a fixed resistance, I think the only thing I can play with is voltage to affect the current. Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m still learning. Regardless, the flippers are working, and I settled on 24 V for them eventually.

#227 2 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

You can try some simulations to see what the results are. (See link below). My concern is the power supply won’t hold up under load. In full size pins, the 50v controls all of the coils (roughly 10 on an average machine). With a multi ball game, you could have 5 to 7 firing at the same time. If you are using a single power supply for just the two mini flippers you might squeak by. Note, flipper coils are typically a double coil, one to power the flipper and then an end of stroke (EOS) that switches it to a weaker winding not requiring as much load to hold the flipper up.
    Have you tried to put a pinball on the table and see if they have descent power? If you did above, I will go back and take a look.
    Keep up the good work, the only way to learn is to do what you are doing and experiment.
    https://www.circuitlab.com/editor/#?id=7jn23rjw9vgb

I’ve been testing it for a while now, and it holds up fine. There won’t be any more coils in the game except for the VUK. All coils are fairly small. The flipper coils don’t have a double winding. I’m PWM’ing the signal after the initial kick to keep the load down on hold. Eventually I’ll have some switches and LEDs along with the logic circuits, all running on 5V. I suppose if I have power issues in the future, I can get a larger power supply.

#229 2 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice on the VUK. After some work, I got it to capture the ball and deliver it up onto the wire form. I extended the lower lip of the chute to prevent the ball from dropping into the orbit below. And, I created a pocket past the hole to try to kill some of the momentum and let the ball drop into the hole instead of just bouncing back. At first, this didn't work. I even put foam in the pocket, but the ball kept being rejected. Finally, I filed down the edges of the hole itself to make it a bit bigger and give it a beveled edge. Now the ball drops into the hole nicely every time.

VUK1 (resized).JPGVUK1 (resized).JPG
    VUK2 (resized).JPGVUK2 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1943 (resized).jpgIMG_1943 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1944 (resized).jpgIMG_1944 (resized).jpg

#231 2 years ago

Thanks. I will admit that the VUK chute looks a little bit like a Frankenstein monster that I put together in pieces just to get it to work. One of the things I really admire about your homebrew is how well all of your 3D printed parts are integrated together to make a very cohesive looking playfield. I need to figure out how to do that.

I want to tidy up the edges of the playfield first, make a proper shooter lane, figure out and tighten the outlanes, etc., then make everything more cohesive looking. At some point, I will transfer everything to a proper piece of plywood, as everything is starting to come loose on this particle board. And, then, I need to start thinking about switches, programming, more complete artwork, . . . .

I'm not sure if I should figure out the switch locations on this version before I move to plywood. I'm thinking I should so that I can make sure I have room for everything first. If I don't, I may need to rethink some aspects of how everything is constructed.

I wish I had a mini-rotisserie that the playfield was hooked up to, as there's a lot of disconnecting wires, taking the playfield out, holding it in my lap and screwing things into place on the underside. It gets tiring.

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Build skypilots rotisserie— it’s like $50 of parts and an hour or two to build. Makes homebrew dev life nice

I would probably have to make a mini version. Not sure I want to do that just for this project. That said, I definitely need something that allows me better access while also being able to test the game from the top. Might have to cobble something together customized for this.

#235 2 years ago

I think next up for me is to do some 3D printing to redo the shooter lane and create more structure on the sides of the table near the lanes, optimizing the lane design while I’m at it. While things are printing, I want to clean up this rats nest. I bought some terminal blocks for power distribution, and I want to start organizing all the electronics so everything is a bit neater and easier to use, allowing for expansion as I start to add switches and lights down the road.

One question I have is about fuses. Will they be necessary for a small project such as this one, only operating at 24V, with all logic and lights being at 5V? If so, where do you put the fuses? How do you figure out what type of fuse you need? I’ve tried some searching, but I can’t seem to find a clear answer, at least for a somewhat novice like me.

23007ACF-58CC-4F31-B7FF-89C56BE55D1B (resized).jpeg23007ACF-58CC-4F31-B7FF-89C56BE55D1B (resized).jpeg

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Yup, fuses are still needed for 24v. They can save some 5V stuff too. At a minimum, you want a fuse on the output of everything that's generating voltages, so something on your 24V and something on your 5V. If you had a rectifier you'd want something on the other side of that too. Beyond that, some games will fuse each mechanism/coil, or just each driver board. Can't hurt to have more, other than that you have more complexity in the wiring, etc. You mostly just want to think about what can fail and short out. Any coil can short out. What happens then? Right now that short would run a ton of current through your driver FET, which would blow. If it blew 'closed' (eg, it shorted itself too), then now you have a short across your 24V line which is going to damage your 24V supply (unless it already has some internal safety mechanism or something). Having a 'line' fuse where the 110v from the wall enters your machine can't hurt either.
    For momentary coils, people often use slow blow fuses. The idea being, you don't really care what happens with the coil as long as it only happens for <100ms. The main failure point for a coil happens if it locks on for too long, so using a 2-3A slow blow on a coil usually works well. If you find your fuse is blowing during normal operation, just go to the next value up. For stuff like the 5V electronics I'd use a fast blow. Damage to electronics can happen instantly, and there aren't giant current jumps, it should be semi constant. I've saved a lot of electronics because my 5V fuse blew instantly when I shorted something. Even crossing the streams and putting the 24V on the 5V line might not damage anything if you've got some good fuses and overvoltage protection on the circuits themselves

Awesome information! Thanks!

The 24V will solely power three coils. It will also go to a buck converter that steps it down to 5 V for the logic and lights. So, it sounds like I want a slow blow fuse downstream of the 24 V power supply before the coils and buck converter. Then, I want a fast blow fuse downstream of the buck converter before everything else. Is that right? What amperage on the fast blow?

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd probably put a fast blow between the 24 and the buck, and a slow blow between the 24 and the coils, and another fast blow after the buck. Amperage wise you just need to estimate what sort of draw you're expecting, it all depends on the electronics. Then round up to the next fuse size and give it a shot? I think I ended up with a 0.5A or a 1A powering my boards, and a separate 2A for my LEDs, etc

Based on what you said, this is what I’m thinking. Look right to you? (Obviously, I left out a lot. Just trying to show the position of the fuses.)

1F467F08-9574-4E2E-BC0A-E311EFD24330 (resized).jpeg1F467F08-9574-4E2E-BC0A-E311EFD24330 (resized).jpeg

#242 2 years ago

So, this?

44EE004F-B665-4216-9840-C56D9B431D5E (resized).jpeg44EE004F-B665-4216-9840-C56D9B431D5E (resized).jpeg

#245 2 years ago

Ok. I get it about not having two fuses in series. That makes sense.

As for fusing the 24 V supply on the 120 V side, I think the power supply has its own internal fuse, but I’ll check.

Is there a need to have a fuse before the buck converter, if I have one immediately after? And, if I do, should they be the same amperage?

In other words, I wonder if I just get rid of my 5 amp fast blow altogether and just use a 3 amp slow blow before the coils and a 3 amp fast blow after the buck before everything else? Or, if I should fuse before the buck, is there any logic to having it be a different amperage as the fuse that comes after?

#246 2 years ago

Actually, I think I’m seeing the logic behind all of this. Here is my new plan. I think this better protects everything. For instance, if due to a short, 24 V was introduced to the switches, this will blow the fuses before the logic and lights and hopefully prevent damage to them. My old setup wouldn’t do that, I don’t think. What do you guys think? Did I finally get it?

779232D0-5DA1-42F0-AC6E-38DFF78BE796 (resized).jpeg779232D0-5DA1-42F0-AC6E-38DFF78BE796 (resized).jpeg

#248 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

That looks pretty good to me, besides from the question of whether your 24v has its own internal fuse to protect the house power

Awesome. Thanks.

The power supply says it has over voltage protection, so hopefully. It remains to be seen whether I have a large enough power supply once everything is hooked up. I may have to get a more powerful one.

#250 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Over voltage is not the same as over current. Over voltage protection would either be protection of internal components from high voltage spikes on input or controlling output voltage — I’d assume the former as voltage output is usually ‘regulated’ +- a percentage, not ‘protected’.
    Over current protection is the fusing- if a supply had one I’d expect a resettable one. My supplies def. do not have them.

Ah. Thanks for the clarity. It also says overload protection and short circuit protection. It’s basically a brick, like you would use to charge a laptop. It is not the rectangular metal box that are the more heavy duty switching power supplies.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z4RBW7D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_R8NDM6RGQ188SQKQK8T3

If I needed a fuse between that and the wall, wouldn’t I need one on every device I own as well? I’m just a bit confused by the need for a fuse prior to the power supply since I have lots of devices with these types of adapters but no fuse on the house side.

#252 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Ah, I see.. interesting. Probably fine then. I err cautious with homebrew. Anything you plug into the wall like that, technically protected by the breaker anyway. No idea what the overload or short circuit protection looks like on something like that, but whatever they used is going to have some rating. If you overcurrent past that and destroy the supply, your next backup is the breaker. a fuse between the supply and breaker could protect the supply from frying and your relying on appropriately sized protection ..5a vs your 20a breaker.
    I think you got a fine setup w/out it - I didn’t realize you were using a wall wort style vs the metal caged ones where you could short against the cage potentially.

Ok. Understood. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, if my supply proves to be insufficient power wise, I’ll have to move to a metal caged one. I’ll definitely make sure to add another fuse like you suggest if that happens.

#254 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Hmmm, this looks familiar...

What the heck?! I don’t know if I should be flattered or pissed. Damned free version of Onshape! I don’t think I have any rights in my design.

#256 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

isn't there a way in onshape to mark your design as private? i guess they just grabbed a picture of "new" designs that pop up when you login.

Or, they got it off of pinside since I posted a screen shot here, and I believe it’s the exact one I posted.

In order to use the free version of Onshape, you agree to put your designs in the public domain. To make things private, you have to pay. It’s not a big deal as I’m not trying to make money off of them.

Watching that video, I have no idea what’s going on, except it seems clear that they’re taking a bunch of other people’s images from wherever they can find them. Oh well.

#261 2 years ago
    Quoted from bruinfan:

I finally watched some of the videos in this thread—the physics look great! The ball responds how you would expect it to in a normal sized game.
    Good stuff, sir!

Thanks. I appreciate it. I’m hoping when I optimize the outlanes and add my oversized center post it will be less of a drain monster. Right now, I can’t keep the ball in play for very long.

Today, I’m working on printing a return guide to the shooter lane for when the ball drains. My angle was too shallow on my first attempt, and the ball just sat there.

#263 2 years ago
    Quoted from bruinfan:

I was going to ask if the flipper angle and gap between flippers was standard/to scale, because it looked like they were “steeper” and perhaps farther apart. But, I see you have plans there.

I tried to make the gap standard to scale but think I messed up. I was contemplating closing it a bit when I moved the playfield to plywood, but I’m afraid that will mess up the angle for the shots. These mini flippers are not great — too powerful shooting straight up; a bit too weak to the sides. The game is so fast, I think it will greatly benefit from a center post, perhaps about the size of one of my star posts. I want to try to make the ball times consistent with a standard table.

#265 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Oh cool, you already moved to plywood?

No, not yet. I was just saying that when I eventually do, I was thinking about closing the gap. But I’m not sure yet.

#270 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Ah cool very interesting! So puny factory is not finished as it seems.

I didn’t realize these were the same guys that had that fight with Todd Tuckey over the book. The plot thickens.

In any case, I don’t mean to derail too much.

2 weeks later
    #273 2 years ago

I’ve been working on printing the shooter lane, guides for the ball return, and closing the lanes to make this more playable. A couple of issues. First, I can’t screw the molds into place well because of the lousy particle board playfield I’m using. Will need to switch over to plywood sooner than expected. Second, the angle on the ball return to shooter lane needs to be somewhat steep to work, and that doesn’t leave enough room at the end for the plunger. I might have to make a plunger housing that is outside the cabinet a bit to get it to work properly.

Otherwise, when I test flick the ball up the shooter lane, it transfers nicely to the orbit. So, that’s good.

I’ve also been working on cleaning up the wiring and electronics and plan to finish that before I consider moving everything over to plywood.

8F54112A-75A9-47B1-BD59-F1BCAD34F6B1 (resized).jpeg8F54112A-75A9-47B1-BD59-F1BCAD34F6B1 (resized).jpeg

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Usually the ball sits like 4" up the playfield to give the plunger room, and the trough takes care of getting the ball back up the incline to there.

Yeah, I know. But I don’t want to build a traditional trough as that would add another coil, and I’m trying to keep this fairly simple. I think I can work around this, but we’ll see.

#277 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

holy crap, that's a long shooter lane. You're a 3d printing madman.
    Far as shooting the ball, you always want a groove to get the ball going in the right direction. I mean maybe it'll work because it's sitting in that pocket at the bottom. I would consider making the angle of the ball drain not as steep so the ball ends up a little higher. That'll give you more options for adding a spring to create a real plunger.

The shooter lane definitely works. I did put a rod and spring in there briefly to test.

Unfortunately, I can’t make the angle of the ball drain any less steep. I initially tried that to get the ball’s entry into the shooter lane higher, but sometimes the ball would hit the ball drain guide and just sit there not moving. This is the lowest angle it can be and still consistently roll down it.

I really don’t want to make a traditional trough. I have a couple of ideas. One, as I said, is making a housing outside the cabinet for the plunger rod to give it the space to pull back and then hit the ball. The other idea is to have the end of the ball drain curve and angle up to get the ball into a higher position in the shooter lane. I would then use a servo motor to sweep the ball up it and into the shooter lane.

We’ll see.

#279 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Just an idea, you could make a hole at the drain. A ramp underneath the playfield to the plungerlane that starts underneath the playfield. That would give you the possibility to move the plunger to a normal position. The plungerlane would go through the playfield.

That’s a really interesting idea. I’m not sure the dimensions will allow for it, but I’ll give it some thought.

#281 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

are you actually still having problems with the ball going in the red scoop? or were you able to solve it?

That seems to work now. The new design of the chute seems to work well. Once I clean up the electronics and wiring, I’ll hook everything back up and grab a video of it.

1 month later
    #283 2 years ago

It's been a while since I've done an update. I haven't had a huge amount of time to spend on this project, but I didn't want to do anything else until I cleaned up the electronics and wiring. Having one central location for all power supplies, logic circuits, etc. would make it much easier to add components down the road. Before I do anything, I like to map out what I'm doing on graph paper. This helps me trace the circuits as well as make sure everything will fit spacially. It then becomes the plans I can follow as I lay everything out. I mapped out both a diagram for a solenoid driver board and the full set of "backbox" boards.

IMG_2022 (resized).JPGIMG_2022 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2021 (resized).JPGIMG_2021 (resized).JPG

Next was laying everything out, adding connectors, crimping wire terminals, etc. I also had to solder together my solenoid driver board and come up with place to put the fuses.

Here's the full set up (there's still space for two more arduinos as I get into lighting, motors, and switch logic):

IMG_2027 (resized).JPGIMG_2027 (resized).JPG

Here is the solenoid driver board and fuse board:

IMG_2030 (resized).JPGIMG_2030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2028 (resized).JPGIMG_2028 (resized).JPG

I didn't like having all the fuses exposed, so I printed this cover for them which separates them out and prevents other things from falling on them. you can see it placed in the complete picture.

IMG_2029 (resized).JPGIMG_2029 (resized).JPG

Also, I wanted to hook up a temporary button to my VUK. Until I have logic and switches in place, if I'm play testing the table, I need a way to trigger the VUK if I hit it in there. So, I added a tiny button onto a mini-bread board which can trigger it. I also programmed some simple code to trigger it.

IMG_2032 (resized).JPGIMG_2032 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2031 (resized).JPGIMG_2031 (resized).JPG

Unfortunately, when I hooked everything up, while the flippers worked like normal, the VUK didn't work at all. I tried lots of trouble shooting to no avail. I was convinced it was the transistor which I dreaded because it took me several hours to make the driver board, and my desoldering skills aren't good enough for me to think that I could simply swap the transistor. Also, during the course of testing voltages, I shorted the switches for the flippers and blew one of the fuses. Good test that the fuses are doing what they're suppose to be doing. I decided to go to sleep and get a fresh start the next day. The next day I became convinced that it was my code and not the transistors. I looked over the code again. It looked perfect. I double checked, then triple checked. Aha! I forgot to define the new pins as input and output for the VUK switch. Fixed that, and everything works as it should.

#284 2 years ago

I'm going to be taking a break from this project for a while (likely a couple of months) to work on another project. I started this as a way to expand my new skills programming and working with Arduinos. Ironically, I've been learning just about everything else (3D printing, layout design, etc.) and doing very little programming. I'm getting rusty as is evident from the simple mistake I made updating my code. So, I'm on to another project which will involve a little more programming, and then I'll return to this.

When I return, I really need to transfer everything to plywood and optimize a few aspects of the layout. The large flipper gap still causes too many drains. The left loop ramp has gone from rejecting 1/2 the shots to rejecting 3/4 to now rejecting all shots. I'm not sure what is wrong, but the printed ramp flap has started to lift. I may need a small piece of spring steel. I also may need to open the whole ramp up a bit.

Then, I need to figure out what to about about switches, optimize the flaps for the middle orbit gates, figure out lighting, rules, coding, etc. And, all that is way before I even start thinking about art. Amazing how much work this is.

#287 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

and what an awesome project that is, your mini pinball is one of my favorites, this really makes me want to build a smaler size pinball my own!

Thanks! But, I often wonder whether things would be easier if this was larger. There’s very little room for error at this size, both in terms of playing and getting the layout right. Small adjustments make much bigger differences than on a full size pin. It’s very hard to find that perfect balance.

1 month later
    #289 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm going to be taking a break from this project for a while (likely a couple of months) to work on another project. I started this as a way to expand my new skills programming and working with Arduinos. Ironically, I've been learning just about everything else (3D printing, layout design, etc.) and doing very little programming. I'm getting rusty as is evident from the simple mistake I made updating my code. So, I'm on to another project which will involve a little more programming, and then I'll return to this.

Ok. Side project finished. Back to mini-pinball!

Quoted from Nokoro:

The left loop ramp has gone from rejecting 1/2 the shots to rejecting 3/4 to now rejecting all shots. I'm not sure what is wrong, but the printed ramp flap has started to lift. I may need a small piece of spring steel.

Before I go much farther with this, I need to make sure the left loop ramp is a makeable shot. It used to be. I wanted to see if it really is the lack of a ramp flap that is the issue. So I added a piece of poster board to substitute for the printed PLA ramp flap that had started to lift. Amazingly, if I flick the ball into the ramp with my finger, it now makes it 100% of the time. This means that the ball was getting messed with by the printed ramp flap. So, having a real ramp flap should take care of the issue.

IMG_2135 (resized).jpgIMG_2135 (resized).jpg

Unfortunately, another issue has come up. I can't seem to make the shot any more from my right flipper. The flipper seems to have lost some strength, and while the ball goes into the loop smoothly, it doesn't have the same force / speed that it used to have to make it all the way up and through the ramp. I wonder if I need a larger power supply and if running the power through my newly made control boards has diminished it somewhat. The orbits are a bit harder to make as well.

#291 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm guessing you've tried only using one flipper at a time. If it's still low powered, I wonder if you pushed too much voltage through the coil? I would find the spec sheet then check the resistance and make sure the coil doesn't have any short.

I remember the resistance readings before I started so I can check to see if anything has changed. I believe these coils are used to a lot more voltage than I’m supplying so I doubt that’s it, but I will check.

After I posted, I noticed that the right flipper was a little tighter against the bushing than the left. I loosened it, and that helped a little but not enough.

#293 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm guessing you've tried only using one flipper at a time. If it's still low powered, I wonder if you pushed too much voltage through the coil? I would find the spec sheet then check the resistance and make sure the coil doesn't have any short.

I checked resistance of both coils, and they are both at about 8.6-8.7 ohms, which is how they started. I also double checked voltage going to the coils, and it is still 24V. I'm not sure what has caused the recent issue.

I'm thinking about modifying the layout by doing the following: (1) move the flippers slightly up and closer together; (2) move the left loop ramp slightly down towards the flippers; (3) move the entrance to the left orbit slightly down. The placement would look something like in this sketch.

Maybe the shorter distance between the flippers and the ramp will help. Also, I need to close the flipper gap somewhat, and having the flippers be slightly higher on the playfield will help bring the ball return up and perhaps make that part work better.

MiniPinball_ModifiedLayout_LI (resized).jpgMiniPinball_ModifiedLayout_LI (resized).jpg

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

not sure if it would really help, but the resting angle of your flippers looks really steep. Maybe if they started at less of an angle you could get more power out of them?

That’s worth a shot as well. Easy enough to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

#298 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

It looks like angle changes at the flap. Could it be a jump issue? Or does the flipper feel weak at the other loop etc as well?

The ball is not jumping anymore, if that is what you mean. I think that was my original issue, but adding a small flap smoothed out the transition. This is now the flipper not seeming to have the same strength that it did.

I’m going to try to change the angle as suggested and also up the high power time in the code before the hold power kicks in. Perhaps I need a few milliseconds more.

3 months later
    #299 2 years ago

It’s been a while since I’ve worked on this. Several other projects kept me away. And, I knew that in order to make progress, I would need to rebuild my cabinet and playfield. Using particle board in the first place was a bad choice, and my cab was not made very well and was shaky. I just don’t have woodworking skills.

My requirements were to use plywood, have a solid cabinet, and have something that I could easily work on from both the top and underside. I wanted the playfield to slide in and stay nicely in place and wanted something that would allow me to flip the whole thing on its side and be able to work on it without the playfield falling out. I also wanted to add walls to the side of the playfield and make it longer to better have room for the ball return and shooter rod.

I decided to wait until my end of the year vacation and take advantage of my father-in-law’s tools and superior knowledge of wood working. I spent yesterday with him, and this is what we came up with. I’m really happy how it came out. The whole cabinet is much sturdier and tight. The playfield slides in on rails and stays firmly in place. It should make the whole thing much easier to work on.

I still need to attach the front panel somehow. I’m thinking of using strong magnets so it goes on and off easily to allow for removal of the playfield.

Now on to the task of moving everything over and optimizing the layout.

843B727D-1325-49B7-876A-B68443A6895A (resized).jpeg843B727D-1325-49B7-876A-B68443A6895A (resized).jpeg

E6AFF331-1B98-48F9-BE98-A37E21FC28DF (resized).jpegE6AFF331-1B98-48F9-BE98-A37E21FC28DF (resized).jpeg

E4E42675-5061-4A5E-9876-0ADF7A944ACA (resized).jpegE4E42675-5061-4A5E-9876-0ADF7A944ACA (resized).jpeg

#302 2 years ago

Thanks guys. I’m pretty happy with the way it came out, and it definitely seems like it is providing a more sturdy foundation to build everything off of.

The process of moving stuff over though is going to take a while I’m afraid.

AEA60BD5-E468-434F-A8EE-55E6518E8161 (resized).jpegAEA60BD5-E468-434F-A8EE-55E6518E8161 (resized).jpeg

27BC382E-356C-48E5-B4FF-0B55FA0C1B22 (resized).jpeg27BC382E-356C-48E5-B4FF-0B55FA0C1B22 (resized).jpeg

#303 2 years ago

As I try to move stuff over, I’m reminded about the parts of the layout that didn’t work so well. And as I think about tweaking them to make them work better, I’m finding it is hard to get everything to fit on the new table. I think I might have to start a lot of this over from scratch. I kind of cobbled together the original layout as I went.

For one, I may want to redesign the right ramp. Make it a bit sleeker and optimized for the space.

I also want to 3D print the ball guides on the sides and be less reliant on metal guides that I shape into place. One thing I’ve not figured out how to do is if you have a birds eye 2D view of the curve of an orbit, let’s say, how do you extrude that into a 3D print? In other words, if it’s not a perfect arc with a uniform radius, how to I go about plotting it on a CAD program so I can print it? (I hope that makes sense.)

#305 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't know which program you're using, but I think what you want is a spline. If there's no spline option, you may have to do a bunch of individual arcs but make them tangent to each other.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_spline

Thanks. I’m familiar with the spline option, but how do you make it match, let’s say, a hand drawn, non-uniform arc? Do you just add a ton of points in the spline and make a measurement on the drawing for each point, and then between them all, you have a pretty good rough approximation?

#307 2 years ago

Sorry. I’m using Onshape.

This idea of scanning a drawing and using that 2D drawing to make a sketch to extrude from is what I’m trying to figure out. I don’t have a scanner so that may be a big problem right there. Is there a way I can take a picture of a 2D drawing and somehow scale it to size to make a sketch that I can use in a CAD program like Onshape?

#308 2 years ago

I think I see a way to do it in the program. I’ll have to play around with it when I have some time.

#310 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:For something rough like a whitewood, you could probably get by just taking a single photo, but since it won't be perfectly perpendicular you will likely need to bring it into photoshop to skew it until it's straight, then scale the X/Y until it matches the correct proportions. If you don't have photoshop I believe you can still install CS2 (they stopped supporting server authentication). If you need help, send me a photo with dimensions and happy to clean it up.

Awesome! Thanks very much.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice?tu=Nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.