Also this week, I worked on my plan to use servo motors to control gates around the inner orbit.
As it turns out, most people use servo motors to control pretty thick shafts. But for my scale, I want a fairly thin rod to stick up through the playfield. I found these couplings at Servocity which can be drilled out to hold a much thinner shaft. I’m using 2 mm rods.
The problem is the coupling itself is pretty thick and I don’t want to have to drill that size hole through the playfield. So I made and printed a spacer to keep the whole thing underneath. I just need long enough screws to attach it. The spacer has a cut away in the side allowing me to adjust the set screws to hold my shaft in place.
I also printed the gates themselves. To attach them to the rods, I bent the rods at a 90 degree angle. I designed in a channel in the horizontal direction and some “clips” in the vertical direction to snap the rods in place. It’s pretty solid, but we’ll see how well it holds up during play. It took some experimenting to find the right dimensions to get the rods to snap into the gate properly.