Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 310 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27BC382E-356C-48E5-B4FF-0B55FA0C1B22 (resized).jpeg
    AEA60BD5-E468-434F-A8EE-55E6518E8161 (resized).jpeg
    843B727D-1325-49B7-876A-B68443A6895A (resized).jpeg
    E6AFF331-1B98-48F9-BE98-A37E21FC28DF (resized).jpeg
    E4E42675-5061-4A5E-9876-0ADF7A944ACA (resized).jpeg
    MiniPinball_ModifiedLayout_LI (resized).jpg
    IMG_2135 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2032 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2031 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2029 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2028 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2027 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2021 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2022 (resized).JPG
    8F54112A-75A9-47B1-BD59-F1BCAD34F6B1 (resized).jpeg
    There are 310 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 3 years ago

Fun project, following!

#52 3 years ago

Just spent 90 minutes trying to make a darn ramp and failing. So much cardboard. So much hot glue.

I never got it to fit right. All my parts are currently held onto the playfield by fun tac so I can adjust and move them around. But they also keep coming undone as I try to fit more stuff. I’m feeling frustrated and taking a break for the day. Think I’ll go to the store and pick up more hot glue sticks.

Luckily, I have an idea to try to get this ramp to work better next time.

#53 3 years ago

you're using corrugated cardboard and foamcore right? I'm surprised it wasnt working.. hot glue on corrugated cardboard or foamcore is a pretty crazy good bond usually..

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

you're using corrugated cardboard and foamcore right? I'm surprised it wasnt working.. hot glue on corrugated cardboard or foamcore is a pretty crazy good bond usually..

Yes. It bonds well. I’m just screwing up on the dimensions. And while the individual pieces are solid, I’m attaching them to the playfield with fun tac which is not a great bond. But, it helps me play around with the exact spacing and fit for now. I have an idea for my ramp which should help. I think a lot of this is just that it’s all new to me, and I’m learning as I’m going.

#55 3 years ago

My second attempt at making a ramp went better. Here's a video of me testing it out. I plan to add a wireform on the end that returns the ball to the left flipper, but for now, it just drops the ball into the orbit.

As you can see, my shot geometry needs some improvement. Lots of cheap drains. But, I can also see this coming together with some nice flow.

#56 3 years ago

Made a second ramp today, and while it worked, I am not that happy with my shot geometry. I also thought there would be space for a saucer / VUK, but it didn't leave enough space. So, I need to adjust.

For those of you who have played around with making homebrew games, how does the process of adjusting and improving usually work? Is it just trial and error? Do you try a ramp out of cardboard or foamboard, find out it doesn't work, tear it up and try again? Are you constantly moving shots around by a few millimeters here and there? I feel like I need to remove most stuff on my playfield, adjust and put back on. I just am wondering if there is an easier way to all this. I'm guessing not, but figured I would ask if there are any tips and tricks.

#57 3 years ago

I spent a good spent of time moving things around, yes. I had an initial idea of were I wanted stuff and adjusted, deleted, and added from there. For sure better to try and wrk as much out as possible in cardboard as foam.. adjusting mechs, Ramps, and posts after installed on a whitewood is much more of a pain although probably unavoidable in some cases.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I spent a good spent of time moving things around, yes. I had an initial idea of were I wanted stuff and adjusted, deleted, and added from there. For sure better to try and wrk as much out as possible in cardboard as foam.. adjusting mechs, Ramps, and posts after installed on a whitewood is much more of a pain although probably unavoidable in some cases.

Thanks. I just realized you’re the home brew Fight Club guy. That thing looks awesome! One of my favorite movies, too. I’ve been following your thread from time to time. I should go back and review it start to finish.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. I just realized you’re the home brew Fight Club guy. That thing looks awesome! One of my favorite movies, too. I’ve been following your thread from time to time. I should go back and review it start to finish.

Lol my ‘fame’ proceeds me I guess — thanks! After 3 years in I can say there’s a part of me that wishes I hadn’t bitten quite so much off my first time around.. which is part of why I am really digging your mini pin— I wish I had done something similar before starting fight club. Really enjoyed that foam core process and batting the ball around personally - seems like the complexity just continues to multiply from there

Keep up the good work, I’m stoked to see how this shapes up!

#60 3 years ago

I made some adjustments yesterday, and I now have space for my saucer (possible VUK). It also shoots better.

One thing I’m struggling with is the inconsistency in my shots. For instance, hitting the orbit will return the ball nicely about 60-70% of the time, but I still get quite a lot of cheap drains straight down the middle. I know every machine has some inconsistency, but I’m wondering if things just get worse on the smaller scale I’m dealing with. Less room for adjustments and small changes create larger variability. I also feel my flipper gap is too wide, but that will have to wait for the next playfield. And, I find these mini flippers to be a bit frustrating. They work ok, but they are super strong hitting straight up and lose a lot of strength when hitting to the side.

I seem like I’m full of complaints today. I just need to realize that this is mainly a fun project, and it won’t feel exactly like a real pinball machine when working on the scale I’m dealing with.

I definitely have a lot more respect for pinball designers. Having interesting layouts that actually shoot well I don’t think is as simple as we all take for granted.

#61 3 years ago

I'd think your shot trajectory will change some once you get solid, metal guides instead of cardboard.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd think your shot trajectory will change some once you get solid, metal guides instead of cardboard.

I think you’re probably right, which likely means get the general layout done now and save the real fine tuning for later.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Less than you would think. Ball stays slightly faster but otherwise it does not change much. If it did not shot well as carrboard it also won't shoot well with metal rails in my experience.

Jan

#64 3 years ago

I think you’ve got a fair point with the smaller ball and mini scale, smaller tweaks yield larger results than if it were full scale. I’d agree from your video, the flipper gap looks a bit wide possibly.

#65 3 years ago

Starting making wire forms. It is a slow process. I’m trying a new (to me) kind of solder for repairing jewelry. I can barely get it to melt, let alone stick to anything. I finally got the base together by applying large amounts of flux. I may try regular electrical 60/40 rosin core solder on the next one to see if that is any easier. I give myself a B- on this one, but it is my first attempt so hopefully I’ll get better.

76F9E2AC-2DAA-4D78-8755-8E4015ADF0B5 (resized).jpeg76F9E2AC-2DAA-4D78-8755-8E4015ADF0B5 (resized).jpeg

#66 3 years ago

What kind and Guage metal are you using?

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What kind and Guage metal are you using?

14 gauge (2mm) stainless steel. Decent size for the size ball I’m using. I can also bend and shape it pretty well by hand. It wouldn’t work for a regular sized ball and table.

#68 3 years ago

Trying the 60/40 rosin core solder was worse. Back to the original. I’m also having a difficult time making the 3D structures that stick up and out around the bends and at the ends. Need some more hands.

This guy makes it seem so easy:

#69 3 years ago

I'd recommend making lots of forms to hold stuff. It's one-off but worth it

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd recommend making lots of forms to hold stuff. It's one-off but worth it

What do you mean by making forms? Thanks.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

What do you mean by making forms? Thanks.

Whatever is easiest for you to hold all the bits of metal while you're soldering them. 3D print some holders, make em out of sheet metal, whatever. maybe even mount the holders to a sheet of wood or something to maintain the spacing.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Whatever is easiest for you to hold all the bits of metal while you're soldering them. 3D print some holders, make em out of sheet metal, whatever. maybe even mount the holders to a sheet of wood or something to maintain the spacing.

Got it. I did clip them down to a sheet of wood when I did that wire form just like the guy in the video I posted. Maybe for some of the ones where you have 4 wires connecting to a ramp, I can drill some holes in wood to keep them evenly spaced.

#73 3 years ago

I love the idea of a scaled down pinball. I always thought that a 3/4 home brew would be about the perfect size where it would not only be not too heavy, but could fit in pretty much any vehicle (plus you could easily store it away when you're not working on it instead of taking up the space of a full sized pinball).

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I love the idea of a scaled down pinball. I always thought that a 3/4 home brew would be about the perfect size where it would not only be not too heavy, but could fit in pretty much any vehicle (plus you could easily store it away when you're not working on it instead of taking up the space of a full sized pinball).

Mine’s about 1/2 size. We’ll see how it goes.

I took a break today. But, I did get a package. A little 24V solenoid from Amazon. This will be my attempt to make a VUK. I want to put a saucer between the left ramp and the middle orbit that returns the ball to the wire form that will be the return from the right ramp. I plan to build something simple first on a scrap board just to see if this will have enough force. I’m thinking it will — I only need to move a small ball a short distance — but I’ll just have to see. If not, . . . well, then I’ll come up with a plan B.

A1E121E2-CA7E-41F4-9D6F-FF1FDFE6E95E (resized).jpegA1E121E2-CA7E-41F4-9D6F-FF1FDFE6E95E (resized).jpeg

#75 3 years ago

I’m getting more used to soldering these steel rods together. This works as intended. Just need to make the end piece next and get it more stably mounted.

7835041E-AFEA-416F-888C-ADDEF0F8DA48 (resized).jpeg7835041E-AFEA-416F-888C-ADDEF0F8DA48 (resized).jpeg0E45F26C-AA44-418B-BB5A-0DADFBF50B37 (resized).jpeg0E45F26C-AA44-418B-BB5A-0DADFBF50B37 (resized).jpeg4904CF5E-1ABE-4BBE-BDBD-3D3B6902199F (resized).jpeg4904CF5E-1ABE-4BBE-BDBD-3D3B6902199F (resized).jpeg

I’m making less progress than I hoped to during my end of the year vacation. I blame my wife who was kind enough to get me an Oculus Quest 2 for the holidays. Very distracting!

#76 3 years ago

Not pretty, but functional.

I set it up, and it works. I need to more permanently mount it, but hearing the ball travel down the rail for the first time and end back at the return lane was pretty cool.

320D9FA1-BC3E-488E-89DA-28FBAED4D29A (resized).jpeg320D9FA1-BC3E-488E-89DA-28FBAED4D29A (resized).jpeg

#77 3 years ago

Nice job in the rails! I would have suggested brass rails and brazing with a blowtorch but looks like u got it handled with the stainless. Curious to see how the solder joints hold up

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Nice job in the rails! I would have suggested brass rails and brazing with a blowtorch but looks like u got it handled with the stainless. Curious to see how the solder joints hold up

Thanks. Right now, it seems pretty strong. I was worried because I had a few bad joints that failed, but I think I got the hang of it and started doing a better job. You also can't tell from the picture, but the main rails are actually four rails -- two joined end to end. I was especially worried about that joint, but it seems pretty solid.

I am a little bit afraid of making adjustments though. I would like the entrance to bend at slightly more of an angle, but I worry that I may disturb the joints if I try that. I think it is good enough for now for the prototype. I may eventually redo the rails, if this whole project works out.

Next up: I have to make a second rail. And, I have to test out whether my idea for a VUK will work. I'm just having trouble motivating at the moment as my vacation is coming to an end. . . . I think things are going to move a bit more slowly for the time being. I want to move on to the electronics, but I really need to nail down the layout first.

#79 3 years ago

I hear ya on the vacation- I took the week off too but didn’t get as much done as wanted and now almost back to the regular routine sigh

I like that little solenoid, that’s fun for the VUK

#80 3 years ago

Been thinking about my VUK. I had a bit of luck over New Years. I was wondering the best way to mount that little solenoid that I bought. Lo and behold, the goat cheese I bought to eat on New Years Eve came in this little wooden box. It seems like a perfect bracket to hold the coil.

I was also wondering how best to create a saucer. I want the hole to be large enough that it captures the ball, but it also needs to center the ball under the plunger of the solenoid. I thought maybe I could find a cheap funnel to do the trick. I found this one. Not only is it the perfect size once I cut the end off, but it also bends. I may not have to make a wireform for the prototype. This actually seems like the perfect size to feed the ball onto the return rail. If it works, I’ll replace with something more permanent, but I’m pretty happy with this idea so far.

Do you guys have any experience making saucers? Ideally, it would have a beveled edge, but I’m not sure how to do that and am wondering if just a hole will do.

F5E9C59C-0F4C-4E81-BFD1-4B054A331C3D (resized).jpegF5E9C59C-0F4C-4E81-BFD1-4B054A331C3D (resized).jpeg

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Been thinking about my VUK. I had a bit of luck over New Years. I was wondering the best way to mount that little solenoid that I bought. Lo and behold, the goat cheese I bought to eat on New Years Eve came in this little wooden box. It seems like a perfect bracket to hold the coil.
    I was also wondering how best to create a saucer. I want the hole to be large enough that it captures the ball, but it also needs to center the ball under the plunger of the solenoid. I thought maybe I could find a cheap funnel to do the trick. I found this one. Not only is it the perfect size once I cut the end off, but it also bends. I may not have to make a wireform for the prototype. This actually seems like the perfect size to feed the ball onto the return rail. If it works, I’ll replace with something more permanent, but I’m pretty happy with this idea so far.
    Do you guys have any experience making saucers? Ideally, it would have a beveled edge, but I’m not sure how to do that and am wondering if just a hole will do.
    [quoted image]

Honestly because you're building at 1/2 scale, you're obviously not going to be able to just grab off the shelf parts (or already as I'm seeing, you're having to make them work such as the case with the flipper mechs). You would greatly benefit by 3d printing many of the parts you need. I'd be happy to model something up, but it would greatly benefit you to invest in a 3d printer.

The anycubic mega zero is about the cheapest printer you can buy right now (and simple to build) at $96 (though from China is could take 4-6 weeks to get)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000730911926.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=9594035441&albag=102695258807&trgt=296904913880&crea=en4000730911926&netw=u&device=c&albpg=296904913880&albpd=en4000730911926&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0MD_BRCTARIsADXoopYjXcNOxwi7M1NKxVp_JbMXqyZqloc8WBp5XH85X2VMnUOHgWiR7ogaAlNVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The next step up would be buying an ender3 from Walmart for $155
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Creality-3D-Ender-3-High-DIY-3D-Printer-Self-assemble-220-220-250mm-Printing-Size-with-Resume-Printing-Function/664500829?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101019803

#82 3 years ago

I was about to say exactly what toyotaboy just said after reading your post — this project is perfect for 3D printing. I was trying to make stuff with cardboard and wood and it was getting to be a pain. toyotaboy helped me out immensely and I was convinced to buy a printer. I’ll never look back.. it’s running all day most days right now.. as fun as it was to try to find parts that work/fit in places and modify them, the satisfaction to just model exactly what you need, tweak it, and then be able to reproduce another or modify later is really really nice.

That said, you may not quite be at that point but it’s really worth it to go down the rabbit hole

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Honestly because you're building at 1/2 scale, you're obviously not going to be able to just grab off the shelf parts (or already as I'm seeing, you're having to make them work such as the case with the flipper mechs). You would greatly benefit by 3d printing many of the parts you need. I'd be happy to model something up, but it would greatly benefit you to invest in a 3d printer.
    The anycubic mega zero is about the cheapest printer you can buy right now (and simple to build) at $96 (though from China is could take 4-6 weeks to get)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000730911926.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=9594035441&albag=102695258807&trgt=296904913880&crea=en4000730911926&netw=u&device=c&albpg=296904913880&albpd=en4000730911926&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0MD_BRCTARIsADXoopYjXcNOxwi7M1NKxVp_JbMXqyZqloc8WBp5XH85X2VMnUOHgWiR7ogaAlNVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    The next step up would be buying an ender3 from Walmart for $155
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Creality-3D-Ender-3-High-DIY-3D-Printer-Self-assemble-220-220-250mm-Printing-Size-with-Resume-Printing-Function/664500829?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101019803

Thanks. I’ve been thinking about that and agree that I’ll probably need a 3D printer. I’ve wanted one for some time. As I move from turning the prototype to something more permanent, I will be looking into this in more detail. I have no experience with them, so that will be a whole other learning process, but likely one that will benefit me a lot in the future.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. I’ve been thinking about that and agree that I’ll probably need a 3D printer. I’ve wanted one for some time. As I move from turning the prototype to something more permanent, I will be looking into this in more detail. I have no experience with them, so that will be a whole other learning process, but likely one that will benefit me a lot in the future.

that's the thing, a 3d printer is also for prototyping. I would at least look at some tutorial videos of getting started with a 3d printer:

There's really only like 2 things you have to be aware of
    1. Always be sure your bed is level
    2. If filament isn't coming out, or is barely coming out, either your nozzle is clogged, your tension pushing the filament isn't tight enough, or your temperature isn't high enough.

Even if it's a long time before you start making your own 3d models, so long as you can send a sketch I can model it up (hell I can even slice it and send you gcode so you literally just copy it to an SD card and start printing). This is a perfect example of that. Jack Danger was at Ed Owens house helping him with his homebrew, and he's like "You're gonna have to make some sort of ramp here", so I message him and ask him to snap a photo of the top view with a coin for size reference. In 20 minutes I had a 3d model and 2 hours later he had a physical ramp to put in the game:

#85 3 years ago

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I also want to learn how to make my own models someday. Let me see how far I can get on this initial prototype with just some simple materials and then I’ll look into 3D printing in a lot more detail.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

that's the thing, a 3d printer is also for prototyping. I would at least look at some tutorial videos of getting started with a 3d printer:
    Jack Danger was at Ed Owens house helping him with his homebrew, and he's like "You're gonna have to make some sort of ramp here", so I message him and ask him to snap a photo of the top view with a coin for size reference. In 20 minutes I had a 3d model and 2 hours later he had a physical ramp to put in the game:

Yo... toyotaboy you want to 3d print me a jump ramp for my homebrew??? lol. Sorry to hijack the thread!

#87 3 years ago

Just watched those Jack Danger clips. That’s really impressive! Part of this project is for me to pick up new skills like 3D printing. It is just that the thought of buying another device and learning how to use it at this point in time is a bit overwhelming. That time will definitely come. I just want to make some progress on these other parts first.

#88 3 years ago

for reference, this is what a typical VUK mech looks like:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6290-01

This would be everything you need other than the ball guide to keep the ball on track, and then some sort of scoop at the top. If you're stuck on cardboard, this is what I did on the start of my homebrew before I had a 3d printer:
    unfolded vuk (resized).pngunfolded vuk (resized).png
    3d_rendering (resized).png3d_rendering (resized).png

You may need toothpicks to hold it up from the bottom (so there's room for the ball to fall into the hole), or you need a wall to hot glue it to so it floats.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

for reference, this is what a typical VUK mech looks like:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6290-01
    This would be everything you need other than the ball guide to keep the ball on track, and then some sort of scoop at the top. If you're stuck on cardboard, this is what I did on the start of my homebrew before I had a 3d printer:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    You may need toothpicks to hold it up from the bottom (so there's room for the ball to fall into the hole), or you need a wall to hot glue it to so it floats.

Thanks. I was initially thinking of modeling the VUK off of the ones on my WOZ which hit the ball straight up into a circular wireform. I think for the prototype I’m going to try the funnel / tube idea. For the size ball I’m using, I think it will work, but time will tell. I will replace it with something more permanent down the road and likely turn to 3D printing at that time.

The VUK is supposed to represent the elevator scene in Spirited Away where the protagonist takes an elevator up in the bath house to get a job and gets stuck in the elevator with a Radish Spirit.

11104DAB-B165-461E-B542-9B053D5A75AF (resized).jpeg11104DAB-B165-461E-B542-9B053D5A75AF (resized).jpeg

It will go here:

1C77A020-DB76-4FFD-82EB-65925A5974E4 (resized).jpeg1C77A020-DB76-4FFD-82EB-65925A5974E4 (resized).jpeg

If the tube works, I can surround it with cardboard to be the sides of the elevator. Again, with the idea of replacing it down the road with a 3D print. And, I will need a hole in the side or to mount it above the playfield to allow space for the ball to get in as you say.

So, my next steps are:

1. Try the VUK on a scrap piece of wood just to see if it works. Right now, I don’t even know if the coil is strong enough, but I imagine it is.

2. Remove left ramp, cut off end, create and add wireform.

3. Mount both wire forms.

4. Add VUK assuming it works.

Once all that is done, I want to move on to switches and electronics. I have ideas for targets and one other mech which I’ll describe later. Before doing that, I may try to move everything to a fresh playfield and mount it all in a more secure fashion, either by still working in cardboard or starting to replace with metal and (possibly) 3D prints.

#90 3 years ago

One other thing (which I'm sure you're aware of), but your lane scale is way off, like by easily a factor of 3x. I know you're probably just doing a simple layout to prove out if a 1/2 scale can be done, but if you're going to start play testing it at the very least you want your outlane sized properly so you aren't constantly draining. Flipper gap looks pretty close.
    youtube_screenshot (resized).pngyoutube_screenshot (resized).png

Look at this project for example, even though it's scaled down, most of the layout is to scale (flippers look a little big):

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

One other thing (which I'm sure you're aware of), but your lane scale is way off, like by easily a factor of 3x. I know you're probably just doing a simple layout to prove out if a 1/2 scale can be done, but if you're going to start play testing it at the very least you want your outlane sized properly so you aren't constantly draining. Flipper gap looks pretty close.
    [quoted image]
    Look at this project for example, even though it's scaled down, most of the layout is to scale (flippers look a little big):

Agreed. And, nice illustration.

That picture, though, is not current. Take a look at the one above where I adjusted the left orbit. It is better but still needs more adjustment. I plan to move things around again when I take off the left ramp to mount the wire forms. I’m thinking I can solve some of the issues I am having with the consistency of my shots by narrowing the orbit. That said, I still want to keep the entrances a bit wide as it is a little harder to aim with the flippers and ball I’m using.

And, I’m not 100% yet on the design for the left outlane. I kind of like this idea of a wide outlane with a star post in it, but I don’t think I have it quite right yet, and don’t want to have too many frustrating drains.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That said, I still want to keep the entrances a bit wide as it is a little harder to aim with the flippers and ball I’m using.

For sure, even in full scale pinball the rule of thumb is usually 125% to 200% of the ball width for entrances to ensure you can make the shot.. but once you get past the entrance, ramps can narrow down to just slightly bigger than the ball width to conserve space and keep the protectory of the ball path inline.

#93 3 years ago

Just as a FYI, this new controller should be going live on Kickstarter in a week or two.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1862357036/1641230079?ref=502j4c&token=922c3a91

If it works as advertised, it should be a great starter board at a much cheaper price than a P-ROC or FAST.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hardsuit:

Just as a FYI, this new controller should be going live on Kickstarter in a week or two.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1862357036/1641230079?ref=502j4c&token=922c3a91
    If it works as advertised, it should be a great starter board at a much cheaper price than a P-ROC or FAST.

Thank you for the heads-up!

#95 3 years ago

Perhaps I should think of today as any knowledge gained is making progress. That might make me feel better.

I spent a while trying to make a VUK. Unfortunately, the coil only launches the ball to the top of the bend in the curve. I think this idea of using an undulated tube is not going to work. When I try the coil with just the ball and no tube, it seems like it goes pretty high. (See video below.) I wonder if I got the ball perfectly centered and had a very smooth guide, whether I could get it up and onto the return wireform that I want.

toyotaboy You may be right that I'm going to need some 3D prints to proceed with this project. It might be time to seriously explore getting a printer. Perhaps if I can make a better bracket that has the coil perfectly centered and create a nice guide, it will have enough force to do what I want. I need to figure this out as it will affect the rest of the pin. I would like a nice VUK that sends the ball to the return wireform from the right ramp. Alternatively, if I can't get that, I could just create a scoop type kick-out. I probably have enough force for that at a minimum.

Any thoughts from the experts?

IMG_1683 (resized).jpgIMG_1683 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1685 (resized).jpgIMG_1685 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1686 (resized).jpgIMG_1686 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1688 (resized).jpgIMG_1688 (resized).jpg

#96 3 years ago

Oh yeah, that tube is ‘corrugated’ on the inside isn’t it? You want something smooth and more rigid. A 3D print it great, but you can do this pretty easy with a few pieces of cardboard and hot glue, should hold up fine.

Cut the vuk shape out of 2 sides, then the ‘top’ piece bends to their shape.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Oh yeah, that tube is ‘corrugated’ on the inside isn’t it? You want something smooth and more rigid. A 3D print it great, but you can do this pretty easy with a few pieces of cardboard and hot glue, should hold up fine.
    Cut the vuk shape out of 2 sides, then the ‘top’ piece bends to their shape.

I should give that a try. toyotaboy has the cut out template in one of his posts above.

#98 3 years ago

yea it looks like you probably have enough power. That corrugated tube is not smooth enough. Scale the template I posted to the scale of your ball, fold, hot glue together then put it over your hole. If it doesn't quite make it all the way through, shorten it until it does.

#99 3 years ago

That, or another option is PVC pipe and a hacksaw easy to put together and cut to length. I almost tried it on mine, but ended up with cardboard for ramps and a vuk fir prototyping

#100 3 years ago

You guys were right. I should have listened from the get go rather than try that funnel tube. This got it to work. I still need to make sure I can position it well enough to get the ball onto the wire form, but I think that will just be a matter of final adjustments.

DC95F01B-037B-4A46-AE9E-419BB5D46B27 (resized).jpegDC95F01B-037B-4A46-AE9E-419BB5D46B27 (resized).jpeg

2E1C1A57-38E2-40F0-B209-04400E2A456C (resized).jpeg2E1C1A57-38E2-40F0-B209-04400E2A456C (resized).jpeg

There are 310 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.