• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0017 (resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

So I went to play my Metallica yesterday and noticed not 1, but 3 different buzzing sounds! Any idea how I can fix them?

1) Left-flipper buzz - really loud and strong. I could feel it through my fingers and in my arm! I will try tightening and adjuzting the coil, etc. this morning.

2) Internal subwoofer hum. I have an external sub hooked up with the Pinovator's kit. Is there an easy way to disconnect the internal sub without cutting any wires?

3) Hammer magnet buzz. When I engage the hammer lock, the hammer magnet will buzz until I lock a ball.

Any ideas on how to fix these?

#2 7 years ago

Well, it looks like all my magnets buzz when engaged, as well as the post behind Sparky so I am going to assume that's normal.

Still trying to figure out the flipper buzz. It's REALLY loud.

#3 7 years ago

Stern flipper buzz is normal. It is due to how they do the holding power.

#4 7 years ago

Here is a link with a few things to try to lessen the buzz

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-makes-buzzing-sound-when-i-hold-it

#5 7 years ago

If it was fine last week and today it's acting weird that's not normal. I'd check voltage at the coils and reseat the relevant connectors to start with.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the info!

It had been fine since I got it a couple months ago. Just last night is started buzzing and it was strong and loud. I heard it over the music (I have the volume set at 42) and I had to pull my hand away suddenly because it almost felt like a light shock. I'm not sure what exactly to adjust on the coil.

#7 7 years ago

It has probably always been there you just couldn't hear it over the music and it has gotten louder as the parts have worn. Mine did it right out of the box, made a few adjustments to the coil and switch and helped a bit.

Make sure the coil is tight in the bracket, also as LTG posted in the link file the plunger smooth if needed

#8 7 years ago

So I went to adjust the left flipper to try and reduce the buzz and... the right flipper now buzzes. I have been playing the game with the volume all the way down and the glass off since last night during testing and this is the first time the right flipper has buzzed.

Left flipper is a much louder buzz, though.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean by "plunger"? I'm not sure where to file.

#9 7 years ago

The plunger is the metal rod that travels through the center of the coil, as it bangs against the stop when the coil is energized it starts to turn to a mushroom shape.

When you put it back together you want the bracket to hold the coil snug so the coil doesn't move back an forth

#10 7 years ago

Also, in my case I could never get it to completely go away just got it to be less noticeable.

This was the same result for lots of people from what I saw when I searched about it

#11 7 years ago

Got it! Thanks for your help PunkPin!

#12 7 years ago

Update:

I think the low humming is coming from my power supply. Is that normal for SAM games? I don;t think I heard it on my KISS.

The flippers do buzz (and you can't hear it during play when the music is on), but the left flipper does get very loud sometimes. If I shake the machine it will mostly go back to normal buzzing. Still need to get in there and adjust/reseat the coil.

#13 7 years ago

It could be the ballast for the backbox light tube. My Metallica was buzzy out of the box - and it was the ballast. I replaced it and it was quiet like the rest of my games.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks! I'll check that. It seems like it's coming from the cabinet, though. I'll make sure today.

4 weeks later
#15 7 years ago

Still having issues with the left flipper buzz being super loud. I have a video... can it be attached to a post? It's a MOV.

I have tried loosening and then re-tightening the coil stop as close to the coil as possible.

I've tried to put a little piece of paper towel inside the coil.

I've tried leveling the machine in both directions.

Any other ideas?

It's really frustrating.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Still having issues with the left flipper buzz being super loud. I have a video... can it be attached to a post? It's a MOV.
I have tried loosening and then re-tightening the coil stop as close to the coil as possible.
I've tried to put a little piece of paper towel inside the coil.
I've tried leveling the machine in both directions.
Any other ideas?
It's really frustrating.

Post it on you tube and link it here.

#17 7 years ago

Here it is...

#18 7 years ago

I've got the exact same thing on my Family Guy except it's the right flipper that buzzes and the left one is fine.

QSS

#19 7 years ago

Just watched video and my MET is quiet like a mouse in comparison. I wonder if something was accidentally left out during flipper assembly, it kinda sounds like the coil is loose and vibrating. Much like a missing spring washer. I'll have to check mine to see if any shims are used.
Mike

#20 7 years ago

This sounds like an electrical buzz not a mechanical buzz. Is it coming out of the speakers? The flipper buzzes aren't super loud nor should anyone be filing down parts to avoid it. Pinball machines male noise that's just how they work. However, the buzz in this video sounds extreme. Also if you're hearing the same buzz with magnets, perhaps you have electrical noise feeding into the speaker system.

#21 7 years ago

It is not coming out of the speakers. Could it be a bad coil? I took the entire flipper coil apart and put it back together.

The magnet buzz, from what I found out, is normal... like the normal flipper buzz. I just heard it when I turned the sound down to check the ridiculously loud flipper buzz.

#22 7 years ago

Alright,so with the volume down and PF glass off I can hear buzzing but still not quite like your video. Yours almost sounds like an old machine that had AC flipper coils? Crazy but that is the only way I can descibe your sound.
Wish I had something better to say that helped.
Mike

1 month later
#23 7 years ago

So I'm still having the loud buzzing.

However, last weekend, the left flipper was back to normal buzzing and the right flipper started to buzz really loudly! If I jiggled the right flipper button, then the buzzing would go back and forth from loud to normal.

And of course today, the left flipper is buzzing loud again and the right is back to normal.

Could this not be related to the flipper mechanisms?

I have tried loosening and retightening every bolt or screw on the flipper mechs including the coil stop. I have tried the paper towel bit inside the coil.

I am lost. lol

3 months later
#24 6 years ago

Found a great way to fix Stern Flipper end of stroke buzzing.
Fashion a washer out of Automotive gasket material (I used gasket material 1.5mm thick)
Use the existing spring washer as a temp plate and pair of scissors to cut the outline and a drill to cut center.
I then moved the rear spring washer to the front of coil and used the fashioned washer to the rear.
WOW what a difference.

#25 6 years ago

I have a Ripley's Believe It or Not that makes the same buzzing noise. I've noticed this noise on a couple of my other Stern's and it's a lot louder with the glass off. It is wierd my older Williams (1990's)do not make this buzz noise it all. Going To try The Homebrew fix that Bren-E is suggesting.

#26 6 years ago

Have Image up

IMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

Hi tk-the-jammer

Let me know how you get on with the home brew.
I'm interested if its a universal fix or if i just got lucky.

Bren-E

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Bren-E:

Hi tk-the-jammer
Let me know how you get on with the home brew.
I'm interested if its a universal fix or if i just got lucky.
Bren-E

If it is a proven fix, should make kits.

#29 6 years ago

Nothing screams QUALITY like the sound of Stern flipper buzz!

#30 6 years ago

New T-Shirt-I love to get buzzed while playing my Stern pinballs

#31 6 years ago

Actually that would be a cool t-shirt
-Mike

#32 6 years ago

I'm sure Stern would agree !

#33 6 years ago

Making a Stern Anti-Buzz flipper kit is a great idea.

Thanks Rubberducks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-metallica-is-buzzing-all-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.