Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.43.10 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 7.51.58 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 7.39.25 AM (resized).png
IMG_8484 (resized).PNG
image3 (resized).JPG
image2 (resized).JPG
image1 (resized).JPG
IMGA0985 (resized).JPG

There are 501 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
#301 7 years ago

When I put them on I'll see how my pictures turn out.

#302 7 years ago

Mine showed up today to California as well. 28 days door to door---wow! Customs sucks!

Here is the pic of mine layed on my apron right out of the box. Still need to do some trimming and fitting on it but looks great. Thanks Ninja, a great mod for the games!

BOP Apron (resized).jpgBOP Apron (resized).jpg

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from Fourbyracer:

Mine showed up today to California as well. 28 days door to door---wow!

USPS delivers on Sunday.

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

USPS delivers on Sunday.

We have community secure boxes that they put packages in and then leave a key to the box in our mailbox. Works great. I got home from a trip on Sunday morning to find it had been delivered apparently Saturday because it wasn't there Friday.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from Fourbyracer:

We have community secure boxes that they put packages in and then leave a key to the box in our mailbox. Works great. I got home from a trip on Sunday morning to find it had been delivered apparently Saturday because it wasn't there Friday.

I see.

#306 7 years ago

Hey congrats Bill on finally getting this up and going!

Now where's Funhouse? The mechanical boy needs his own apron.

Looking forward to seeing what's next.

#307 7 years ago

Hey Bill, I was wondering if you had the chance to check on the CftBL and TotAN apron magnets measurements.... I want to place an order for these two, but first I'd like to be sure that they will fit perfectly...

#308 7 years ago

Gilligan' Island??? I thought you had this one done?
Request for Toton, Vector, Big Guns, Who Dunnit?, Addams Family.

Indiana Jones (Bally/Williams) might look good if done right.

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Hey Bill, I was wondering if you had the chance to check on the CftBL and TotAN apron magnets measurements.... I want to place an order for these two, but first I'd like to be sure that they will fit perfectly...

Not yet. I don't have access to the machines to confirm the measures at the moment. I'm working on it.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Gilligan' Island???

Good things come to those who wait. No seriously, its 80% finished. We just never got around to finishing it. It will be one of the next 2 designs I release.

#310 7 years ago

Request for Toton, Vector, Big Guns, Who Dunnit?, Addams Family.
Indiana Jones (Bally/Williams)

We already have a Tales of the Arabian Nights and Addams. I haven't shared Addams yet as i'm not in love with the design. It needs some reworking.

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Now where's Funhouse?

Is that a system11 apron?

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

We already have a Tales of the Arabian Nights and Addams. I haven't shared Addams yet as i'm not in love with the design. It needs some reworking.

TAF would be so cool!

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Not yet. I don't have access to the machines to confirm the measures at the moment. I'm working on it.

OK, we'll wait

I took a look at some Shadow pics on the web and my guess is that its apron is really different.... On TotAN and CftBL I'm pretty sure the right sides are just like the left sides (just like WW and BoP here)... Oh and the shooter lanes are also the same regular ones...

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Is that a system11 apron?

Williams wpc

#315 7 years ago

Got a few decent pics of Fish Tales.

IMAG0010 (resized).jpgIMAG0010 (resized).jpg

IMAG0011 (resized).jpgIMAG0011 (resized).jpg

IMAG0013 (resized).jpgIMAG0013 (resized).jpg

#316 7 years ago

Got a few decent pics of Fish Tales.

Your game looks great. Is that a 3d tl?

#317 7 years ago

Thanks, it is the 3D translite!
Has ColorDMD.
Led's everywhere, except a few accents.
Bills apron MOD. There's a Monster fish there.
Going to add the lighted speaker panel, whenever it gets done/becomes available.
Leg light ups by summer, humm, I know that guy. Going to make a templet and get the lighted shooter housing done to.
Everything just takes time and money.

#318 7 years ago

Keeping fingers crossed for Fire
Vector might be cool too

#319 7 years ago

they all blend in so well with the playfield art, especially getaway and whitewater

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

they all blend in so well with the playfield art, especially getaway and whitewater

That is the trick.

#321 7 years ago

yes, Yes, YES another vote for this and mentioning again just how bland the speaker panel is on this machine, needs some lovin'

#322 7 years ago

Hey guys here's an FYI. DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT put any kind of tape on these. I thought my BoP magnet had a laminate over it so I put a piece of painters tape on it for a measurement and the tape pulled the printing off. I'm getting my HS2 laminated. Live and learn.

IMGA0983 (resized).JPGIMGA0983 (resized).JPG
IMGA0984 (resized).JPGIMGA0984 (resized).JPG
IMGA0985 (resized).JPGIMGA0985 (resized).JPG

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey guys here's an FYI. DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT put any kind of tape on these. I thought my BoP magnet had a laminate over it so I put a piece of painters tape on it for a measurement and the tape pulled the printing off. I'm getting my HS2 laminated. Live and learn.

Oh no! So sorry to hear this. What a bummer. Thanks for warning us though!

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Oh no! So sorry to hear this. What a bummer. Thanks for warning us though!

Thanks, hopefully some good came out of my misfortune.

#325 7 years ago

Thanks Paul-that is good Heads up to the group. I posted pictures of Fish Tales above. My playfield is so shiny the matt look of magnet apron needs a shine. I like the idea of laminating it. Please update when you do it.

#326 7 years ago

Thanks Paul-that is good Heads up to the group. I posted pictures of Fish Tales above. My playfield is so shiny the matt look of magnet apron needs a shine. I like the idea of laminating it. Please update when you do it.

Since the print doesn't adhere well to the magnet material my concern is that a laminate will act like a big piece of tape and pull all the printing off of the surface. Since my BoP apron is messed up I'll use that one as a test subject. Now to find the time to get it to the sign shop I use.

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Since the print doesn't adhere well to the magnet material

Paul-I have a similar piece of material I was going to test a spray clear on. I'll update in couple days.

#328 7 years ago

Paul-I have a similar piece of material I was going to test a spray clear on. I'll update in couple days.

I hope the print doesn't run. I wish Bill would chime in on what the best solution would be..

#329 7 years ago

Paul, I got you covered. I'll get a replacement out in the mail tomorrow when I ship some other orders.

Originally, I wanted to go with laminated magnets. The original batch of prototype magnets are all art printed on vinyl decal laminated to magnet stock with high gloss 3M clear laminate on top to protect the art. Not going to lie, I really liked them. They were cheaper then my current magnets to produce, I got them locally rather then outsourcing, and the gloss really made them pop. The first order I received of multiple laminated magnets I noticed that the magnets had some scratches on them when I opened up the package. After talking to my printer he said to use a heat gun to get rid of them and that the high gloss laminate is susepatble to scratching. Only problem with heating the magnet with a heat gun is it causing the magnet to warp and curl at the edges. This doesn't happen instantly, over a period of months they will start warping and curling. All the magnets I used a heat gun on curled. I then tested some laminated magnets with a microfiber cloth and simply ran the cloth across the surface. This also caused scratching and swirling with very light wiping. My main concern was shipping and handling these without them getting to you guys with a bunch of scratches on them.

Thats when I started looking at direct print. They were much more durable, wipeable, handleable with out scratching, and I personally think look better. Once I seen the issue Paul was having, I grabbed a magnet and stuck a long piece of painters tape to it. I really finger banged it on there. I rubbed the tape on as good as I could. I tore one half off really fast and slowly tore the other half off. My results are in the pics. A very tiny piece of ink along the edge tore off. I think where the magnets are cut, the ink lifts at the edge of the cut just enough for the tape to get hold of and rip off. Any where else other then the edge the tape doesn't not pull off any ink. You couldnt scratch the ink off with your finger if you tried. I think the best thing is to stay away from using the tape when cutting. You can spray some clear on the magnets if you want a more glossy finish but that will make them easier to scratch. I have no problem offering to spray clear urethane on the magnets for a small charge but not sure that is the answer. Anyone else having troubles with there magnets let me know. I'll warranty any issues.

image1 (resized).JPGimage1 (resized).JPG

image2 (resized).JPGimage2 (resized).JPG

image3 (resized).JPGimage3 (resized).JPG

#330 7 years ago

When is the website going up? it's been searching for Trons some time now.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Paul, I got you covered. I'll get a replacement out in the mail tomorrow when I ship some other orders.
Originally, I wanted to go with laminated magnets. The original batch of prototype magnets are all art printed on vinyl decal laminated to magnet stock with high gloss 3M clear laminate on top to protect the art. Not going to lie, I really liked them. They were cheaper then my current magnets to produce, I got them locally rather then outsourcing, and the gloss really made them pop. The first order I received of multiple laminated magnets I noticed that the magnets had some scratches on them when I opened up the package. After talking to my printer he said to use a heat gun to get rid of them and that the high gloss laminate is susepatble to scratching. Only problem with heating the magnet with a heat gun is it causing the magnet to warp and curl at the edges. This doesn't happen instantly, over a period of months they will start warping and curling. All the magnets I used a heat gun on curled. I then tested some laminated magnets with a microfiber cloth and simply ran the cloth across the surface. This also caused scratching and swirling with very light wiping. My main concern was shipping and handling these without them getting to you guys with a bunch of scratches on them.
Thats when I started looking at direct print. They were much more durable, wipeable, handleable with out scratching, and I personally think look better. Once I seen the issue Paul was having, I grabbed a magnet and stuck a long piece of painters tape to it. I really finger banged it on there. I rubbed the tape on as good as I could. I tore one half off really fast and slowly tore the other half off. My results are in the pics. A very tiny piece of ink along the edge tore off. I think where the magnets are cut, the ink lifts at the edge of the cut just enough for the tape to get hold of and rip off. Any where else other then the edge the tape doesn't not pull off any ink. You couldnt scratch the ink off with your finger if you tried. I think the best thing is to stay away from using the tape when cutting. You can spray some clear on the magnets if you want a more glossy finish but that will make them easier to scratch. I have no problem offering to spray clear urethane on the magnets for a small charge but not sure that is the answer. Anyone else having troubles with there magnets let me know. I'll warranty any issues.

WOW Bill thank you soooo much. You really did some testing and your right I did pull the tape off starting on the edge. So you think a spray clear would be better then a laminate? What spray would you recommend? I've heard spray urethane can yellow over time.

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

WOW Bill thank you soooo much. You really did some testing and your right I did pull the tape off starting on the edge. So you think a spray clear would be better then a laminate? What spray would you recommend? I've heard spray urethane can yellow over time.

In a rattle can your options are urethane or lacquer. Urethane is a littler easier to work with but lacquer is probably your best bet. I'm picking up some paint today for an EM cabinet i'm restoring for friend and will see if I can get a couple different products to test out on some magnets and i'll get back to ya. My concern is if the magnet bends too much during handling that the clear finish may crack? I'll work on some test samples and report back.

#333 7 years ago

Solvent based laquer in a rattle can-Test Failed. Ink bubbling

#334 7 years ago

I'm going to try a few other clears.

#335 7 years ago

Ming the Merciless!!!

IMG_8484 (resized).PNGIMG_8484 (resized).PNG

#336 7 years ago

Awesome Bill
Looks great ...I'll take one

#337 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I'm going to try a few other clears.

What about a water based acrylic clear like the one's used in scale model building?

1 week later
#338 7 years ago

How's the Popeye design going?

#339 7 years ago

Still tweaking but getting there. This was one of the toughest designs to nail down.

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 7.39.25 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-15 at 7.39.25 AM (resized).png

#340 7 years ago

Also, for the record, add me as interested in clear coated ones.

I'd imagine Mancave 's suggestion may bear some fruit ...

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Still tweaking but getting there. This was one of the toughest designs to nail down.

So cool but i hope you don't cut Lurch's head at the final version

#342 7 years ago

+1 for Congo! I really don't like the original green apron.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So cool but i hope you don't cut Lurch's head at the final version

I kinda thought it was funny that Lerch's head was cut off being he is too tall. Here's the alternate.

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 7.51.58 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-17 at 7.51.58 AM (resized).png

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I kinda thought it was funny that Lerch's head was cut off being he is too tall. Here's the alternate.

Bill, the TotAN and CftbL aprons are of the exact same measures as TAF!

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

You should have Thing and cousin It on there somewhere.

#346 7 years ago

TAF...IMO.... Less green, more black.

#347 7 years ago

I like the slouched lurch

#348 7 years ago

Ya the slouched lurch made me laugh...., classic adams

#349 7 years ago

I hope the OP sells a shit ton of these because he sure is putting a lot of work into this. Great to see guys like that contributing their skills to the hobby. Awesome work.

2 weeks later
#350 6 years ago

Any updates Bill?
We all await your amazing designs.

There are 501 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-magnet-mod/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.