image_(resized).jpeg
65e92bd32ed6ef7335cac4c1b279deb_(resized).jpg
10a59962fa278136842edbd199c7d7b_(resized).jpg
CFTBL_apron_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 528 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.
#101 8 years ago

Maybe keep the licensing option separate from all original art versions. Best of both worlds. I think it would be better to see the rules, etc incorporated. And the shooter visible. It looks a bit off otherwise, just my opinion.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

And the shooter visible.

We haven't covered up any shooters. The only game with a shooter notch is BOP and it is cut out. FT and Shadow dont have shooter rods.

#103 8 years ago
#104 8 years ago

Hammer of the Godz?

#105 8 years ago

Very nice! Those look great!

#106 8 years ago

My Baywatch and Maverick are metal and TFTC is plastic. Still, for a cool looking TFTC apron, just make it and I'll figure out a way to make it stick in place.

#107 8 years ago

Staying out of the politics of copyright and competition I think these look fabulous. That's coming from the person making reproduction aprons. I'm all for these, especially considering how well they fit the artwork and theme of the game. You've got a great artist and I look forward to seeing what you come out with.

#108 8 years ago

What about the idea of doing magnets for the backbox hinge.
For instance , and I was just thinking of this the other day, on the addams family you could make a magnet that continues the lightning bolt up that hinge.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Could someone explain to be how this could be a copyright issue when it's original art and there is no "copying" occurring? I don't see how matching a style would be considering copying.

If the art is "too similar" to the original copyrighted art, it can be considered a derivative. Imagine if someone simply re-drew a translite by hand. It would be different, of course, because it was hand drawn... but the art itself is the same as the translite (composition, colors, etc) and thus would infringe.

Modders walk a fine line between creating something derivative, and something that's too different that it doesn't go with the game well. If something is different enough, PPS can't touch it. Might take a judge to decide how enough is enough though. The BOP apron clearly repeats art on the playfield, and would probably fail. The Shadow one looks different enough that I'd think it'd be fine. FT is pretty close to infringing IMHO, but I'm not a judge...

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Dunno, but IP holders always seem to find a way....

You mispelled PPS there...

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

You mispelled PPS there...

Thanks, was trying to avoid another PM from Rick.....

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Could someone explain to be how this could be a copyright issue when it's original art and there is no "copying" occurring? I don't see how matching a style would be considering copying.

It's not at all an IP violation. But some copyright holders like to use their "property" to try and get money every chance they can. Because the US copyright system is so backwards, it's basically "pay me a license and stay in business or pay a lawyer until you're broke and out of business."

I can sympathize with the people who actually create the works, but have little sympathy for those who purchase IP as a means to bully other content creators.

#113 8 years ago

I think I'd like to see Rick try and sue someone. So far it's all been lawyer's letters.

We're talking about maybe a couple of hundred bucks worth of product that people are making and selling - no one's getting rich. So for Rick to spend thousands of dollars to actually sue someone seems like a waste of money.

#114 8 years ago

just played my tommy tonight, that game has metal apron, but it's powder coated. might effect how the magnet fits. It's different than other De games because of the blinders. Never really realized it.

#115 8 years ago

OK..so here's the deal..and out of RESPECT to the OP Bill and to others here. This will be my last reply to this thread. I'm bailing on it.
I obviously made a mistake by even saying anything earlier which some of you choose to flame me and PinUpgurl. And that's fine.

Even though pinUpGurl was the person who came up with he Idea originally.
We all make mistakes, In hindsight I guess I should't have mentioned anything at all. So for that I do apologize .
Forgive me I'm only human.

A lot of you know me either on here or in person and everyone in this industry will tell you that I am a straight shooter and a good genuine person. I'm not out to screw anyone nor am I trying to dominate the market. I actually asked Bill to call me because I actually need help making more designs. That was my intent. However it appears that it was taken the wrong way.

There is nothing wrong with someone else making the same things..I mean Stern does this all the time. The thing is..there is an unwritten rule here..it kind of goes like this.. Don't make something someone else is already making.
It's pretty simple.

Shoot... I could have made lots of alternate translights, for crying out loud ..I can make anything I want..I have the rights too.. I PAY FOR THEM... ..but I didn't you know why? because that's Aurich's thing... I am not going to do that..out of RESPECT

I could make ton of coin box decals..I don't ..because that's BEATMASTERs thing..I am not going to do that..out of RESPECT

And BTW..it goes both ways

I can go on and on..

Now I don't know..perhaps Bill didn't know this

Fact is, like I stated earlier..I had presented these in a seminar and It's filed on Pinball news website. October 2015 Chicago Expo
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2015/index.html

Frankly the point is moot now.

UNFORTUNATLEY..there are some folks who just don't give a shit either way.

At the end of the day..I always try to do things the honest way..because once again..that's How I do...and I pay for it.

Question: Is it fair to me or anyone else who pays for the use of copyrighted artwork versus some guy who sells these under the table?
( Im not singling out Bill here just speaking in general)
The Answer is No

fantasygoat - I bought one of your prints at Chicago..How would you feel if I took you print that you drew, and repurpose it and try to sell it?
How would you feel? Is that cool to do?

The Answer once again is NO

I really don't get all this smack talk towards Rick either.. he is tons better then the last guy who owned them. You guys should be thankful he is willing to work with folks like me and Bill. He can do all this stuff himself. He doesn't need any of us. He has full print shop and all kind of manufacturing at his plant.

But, it doesn't matter because everyone feels they are "entitled" to the right simply because... well time to wake up and smell the coffee..hate to break it to you. And it doesn't matter if its Rick..or John or Tom or Dick or Harry..whomever owns the rights..you're just gonna hate. Haters are always going to hate.

I'm honestly Glad to see that Bill is working with Rick. I love the designs and I think you guys need to go back on topic and concert on Bill's great designs which I honestly think are fantastic . And that's why..I reached out in the first place..whether you believe me or not.. I really don't give a hoot.

I wish Bill good luck and look forward to seeing what else he comes up with.

So with that..my rant is over..I promise you, won't be hearing from me again on this particular thread any longer .

Thanks for listening.

RAPTOR
OUT

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

OK..so here's the deal..and out of RESPECT to the OP Bill and to others here. This will be my last reply to this thread. I'm bailing on it.
I obviously made a mistake by even saying anything earlier which some of you choose to flame me and PinUpgurl. And that's fine. Even though pinUpGurl was the person who came up with he Idea originally.
We all make mistakes, In hindsight I guess I should't have mentioned anything at all. So for that I do apologize .
A lot of you know me either on here or in person and everyone in this industry will tell you that I am a straight shooter and a good genuine person. Im not out to screw anyone nor am I trying to dominate the market. I actually asked Bill to call me because I actually need help making more designs. That was my intent. However it appears that it was taken the wrong way.
There is nothing wrong with someone else making the same things..I mean Stern does this all the time. The thing is..there is an unwritten rule here..it kind of goes like this.. Don't make something someone else is already making.
It's pretty simple.
Shoot... I could have made lots of alternate translights, for crying out loud ..I can make anything I want..I have the rights too.. I PAY FOR THEM... ..but I didn't you know why? because that's Aurich's thing... I am not going to do that..out of RESPECT
I could make ton of coin box decals..I don't ..because that's BEATMASTERs thing..I am not going to do that..out of RESPECT
I can go on and on..
Fact is, like I stated earlier..I had presented these in a seminar and It's filed on pinball news website. October 2015 Chicago Expo
At the end of the day..I always try to do things the honest way..because once again..that's How I do...and I pay for it.
Question: Is it fair to me or anyone else who pays for the use of copyrighted artwork versus some guy who sells these under the table?
The Answer is No
fantasygoat - I bought one of your prints at Chicago..How would you feel if I took you print that you drew, and repurpose it and try to sell it?
I really don't get all this smack talk towards Rick either.. he is tons better then the last guy who owned them. You guys should be thankful he is willing to work with folks like me and Bill. He can do all this stuff himself. He doesn't need any of us. He has full print shop and all kind of manufacturing at his plant.
But, it doesn't matter because everyone feels they are "entitled" to the right simply because... well time to wake up and smell the coffee..hate to break it to you. And it doesn't matter if its Rick..or John or Tom or Dick or Harry..whomever owns the rights..you just gonna hate. Haters are always going to hate.
I'm honestly Glad to see that Bill is working with Rick. I love the designs and I think you guys need to go back On topic and concert on Bill's great designs which I honestly think are fantastic . And that's why..I reached out in the first place..whether you believe me or not.. I really don't give a hoot.
So with that..my rant is over..I promise You won't be hearing from me again on this particular thread any longer .
Thanks for listening.
RAPTOR
OUT

Thanks Joe. I appreciate your Cander.

-Bill

#117 8 years ago

I obviously made a mistake by even saying anything earlier which some of you choose to flame me and PinUpgurl. And that's fine. Even though pinUpGurl was the person who came up with he Idea originally.
A lot of you know me either on here or in person and everyone in this industry will tell you that I am a straight shooter and a good genuine person. Im not out to screw anyone nor am I trying to dominate the market. I actually asked Bill to call me because I actually need help making more designs. That was my intent. However it appears that it was taken the wrong way.
It's pretty simple.
I can go on and on..
Fact is, like I stated earlier..I had presented these in a seminar and It's filed on pinball news website. October 2015 Chicago Expo
The Answer is No
But, it doesn't matter because everyone feels they are "entitled" to the right simply because... well time to wake up and smell the coffee..hate to break it to you. And it doesn't matter if its Rick..or John or Tom or Dick or Harry..whomever owns the rights..you just gonna hate. Haters are always going to hate.
I'm honestly Glad to see that Bill is working with Rick. I love the designs and I think you guys need to go back On topic and concert on Bill's great designs which I honestly think are fantastic . And that's why..I reached out in the first place..whether you believe me or not.. I really don't give a hoot.
So with that..my rant is over..I promise You won't be hearing from me again on this particular thread any longer .
Thanks for listening.
RAPTOR
OUT

I'd rather see you make alternate translights and coin box decals than have Bill stop making apron magnets.

But that's just me.

#118 8 years ago

Don't make something someone else is already making.
It's pretty simple.

Were you the first one to make apron wrap graphics? You very well may have been, but I thought I remembered seeing another company making them long before I heard of Pingraffix.

#119 8 years ago

Why wld anyone wanna decorate the coin box with decals? Do you all mean coin door decals or am I missing something?

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Why wld anyone wanna decorate the coin box with decals? Do you all mean coin door decals or am I missing something?

Magnets on the coin door

#121 8 years ago

Just to get it on the record, the concept of magnetic art covering the apron is old.
In this instance I don't see anything ethically wrong with multiple people making competing products, especially since nobody seems to be able to persuasively argue it was their idea.

Here is one example:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-alternate-apron-decals

#122 8 years ago

The thing is..there is an unwritten rule here..it kind of goes like this.. Don't make something someone else is already making.
It's pretty simple.
I can go on and on..

thanks for the kind words joe, i think exactly the same way, a lot of things i could do also but i won't, out of respect and to me, it's worth a lot more. all i can say is, let's all try to work together.

Quoted from bigd1979:

coin door decals.

#123 8 years ago

+1 on T2
If it looks good I would LOVE to buy one

#124 8 years ago

@joeraptor2003 I don't get you. So if you invented the tire for wheels, no one are allowed to design/create better tires? (Better grib etc.).
My point is:

I think there is a big difference between copying the art and doing new art. He is not printing YOUR art but has an artist who does new art. Maybe same "building blocks/tools" but not just copying you.

Of course he should not be doing illegal stuff, but he is doing something about that.

So I think you should RESPECT (word you like) competition just like every tire company out there. Just make yours better and the market will choose your product.

#125 8 years ago

Just SOMEONE get these to market and available for me to purchase for the games I own. I don't give a shit about anything else other than, "can I buy it now?"

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Magnets on the coin door

Link to these? I'd like to see.

#127 8 years ago

Sometimes I like competition for various reasons.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

If thats true show me just one magnet with a design? Block out the art if your worried. I believe this to be untrue. My magnet mod is an original idea and my designs are solid and the art original. If you guys had magnets you would have shown them already.

How can it be an original idea if someone else made the same product first?

I see no problems with competition but to advertise this as an original idea is disingenuous. I assume you didn't read the article posted on Pinball News posted earlier?

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I assume you didn't read the article posted on Pinball News posted earlier?

No I didn't. Can someone show me an apron magnet that is being referred too? Maybe they had something in the works. I'm really not sure. I googled Apron Magnet Mods and the only thing that came up was a link to this thread. I found some triangle shaped ones that go on each side of the apron and truthfully they are nothing like my idea.

Quoted from metahugh:

How can it be an original idea if someone else made the same product first?

Made?

I'm a fan of lots go Pingraffix's mods. I love mods as much as the next guy. If Joe has apron magnets then thats awesome. I'm unsure when the first fridge magnet was invented but "that" dude was onto something. My designs are original and ingenious. Nobody has done them. The fridge guy thought up the magnet idea. I hope your satisfied now.

#130 8 years ago

I've been on PS for over 3 years now and have not seen full size apron MAGNET decals yet, I've seen parts of apron magnets but never full size ones like NinJa would be be making so I think it's a good idea and from what I know he's the first to do this mod. If I'm wrong would someone please correct me. Pingraffix has made 2 or 3 different WRAPS for aprons but they haven't come out with any new designs in over a year I believe but I don't need a new metal apron that their designs come on, that's why I really dig the magnet design AND because they are 1/3 the cost of the new apron ones. Just my 2 cent on the subject.

#131 8 years ago

I've just received the final design for White Water. I'm trying to get a rush print to show on my machine before I head to the mountains for the weekend. Turned out great I think.

#132 8 years ago

I appreciate it, honestly, and I totally get where you're coming from. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to do something someone else was doing either. But it's not like I invented the idea of alternate translites, I certainly don't mind if someone else wants to make some.

Just for the record. You're a good guy and your heart is in the right place on this.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Link to these? I'd like to see.

i didn't do any for a while but i get what he's saying.

#134 8 years ago

Let's see, Dunlop didn't actually invent the pneumatic tire, but he got it to market. So, since he was first, no one else should have created their version of a tire that uses air? Competition improves the product and the market. No one should be given exclusive rights to a T-lite, pop bumper cap, mirror blade, apron skin, led lite, etc. just because they were "first". Not much is truly "new", the idea has been borrowed, tweaked, re-shaped or otherwise modified. If you can create a better pinball do-dad, bring it on! If it has value it will sell--if not it won't.

#135 8 years ago

It's pretty simple.

While that's a nice gesture between vendors, it's also anticompetitive. What if the new guy's stuff is better than the old guy's? We customers want the best, not the first, and being first doesn't necessarily make someone the best. There's a reason collusion is illegal, although in this case (small time mods) it's not a big deal...

The Answer is No

You are right. However, if a competitor is selling prints with original artwork, that is both fair and legal.

You guys should be thankful he is willing to work with folks like me and Bill. He can do all this stuff himself. He doesn't need any of us. He has full print shop and all kind of manufacturing at his plant.

It's easier and cheaper for Rick to have you guys pay for the privilege of making them. Sublicensing is easy money. All profit, minimal work, no inventory. That is one of the main reasons why he bought the IP in the first place.

#136 8 years ago

fantasygoat - I bought one of your prints at Chicago..How would you feel if I took you print that you drew, and repurpose it and try to sell it? How would you feel? Is that cool to do?

None of these designs are using existing artwork. Also, Rick has done more to *shut down* progress on reproduction parts than he has on getting them out there - ask the people who want Bally / Williams EM parts.

If you want a direct comparison, if someone else wants to make Pinball Art Prints, I wouldn't be upset because I don't own the concept. That's all that is happening here - someone else is doing arch magnets, not copying your exact artwork.

#137 8 years ago

Joe is one of the best guys I have met in this pinball hobby he is a straight shooter with a heart of gold.. He always trys not to step on others toes, sometimes which may hurt the business... At the end of the day all you have is your reputation. I think what gets lost in translation, is that you guys are not creating competing iphone cases where there is alot of room for competition, this is a small niche hobby (albeit getting bigger thankfully in the past few years) and its honorable that Joe doesn't step on others toes.

#138 8 years ago

I'm so tired of hearing "we should be glad Rick is better than the last guy" or "Rick has done alot of good things for the pinball community".

Bullshit.

Rick has done whatever has benefited Rick. End of story. Rick has done more to stifle creation than to encourage it. He effectively is monopolizing part of the market and he is doing what always happens when monopolies occur...increase price, decrease quality and service. It's economics 101 and the examples are innumerable and taught in every basic business course.

This thread and this product is a fine example of the pettiness and self-interest that pervades this (and many other) hobbies. The OP turns out a product that is innovative (no one is currently producing a full-cover magnet for aprons) and clearly has found a niche. What happens? Out come people who want to either say "you're encroaching on my territory" or "I had this idea first". And, of course, then we get the narc squad that starts bringing up IP and legal action. It's ridiculous.

Let the freakin' guy show his wares and the market determine if there is continued interest. If this became a legal issue, I would hope any reasonable party would say these are original concept and not a ripoff of protected property. I have a hard time with the whole IP issue because if you put two machines side by side, one with the magnet and one with the original apron, it's clear that it is different and not substantively copying existing artwork.

Stepping off soapbox....

#139 8 years ago

Couldn't get a print in time. This will have to do until Monday when I can test fit it. I had a foil design planned for this apron similar to the topper but costs were outrageous. I'm still shopping around so this will have to do for now. My foil design was well over 150$ an apron. It's nuts how much that $hit is!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Couldn't get a print in time. This will have to do until Monday when I can test fit it. I had a foil design planned for this apron similar to the topper but costs were outrageous. I'm still shopping around so this will have to do for now. My foil design was well over 150$ an apron. It's nuts how much that $hit is!
image_(resized).png

Not bad, but I would have to see it on a machine to decide.

#141 8 years ago

Request TZ, IJ & TAF !!!

#142 8 years ago

TAF will be a fun one to do. I got some ideas already.

#143 8 years ago

Man the possibilities are endless, all the old B/W games from the early 80's could really benefit from this idea, Centaur and Pharoah would be so great, I would love one for my JD, keep it cool like the Shadow, that art is kinda japanimation style and I love it.

#144 8 years ago

These look awesome. Would love to see one for T2.

#145 8 years ago

many people make similar items, but what's nice is that with multiple people making different versions of things, you can buy the style that you like. Remember those graphic lamp shades? 3 different people were making them, each with different graphics. You buy the graphics you like best.

Alternate translites have been around for years. just because ones making them, doesn't mean others can't. I own alts from at least 6 different people. They are all great in their own ways. Auriches have the best color saturation and most practical use.

Same would go for this. both have different art designs. People can buy from both of you. whoever comes up with the best art will win that game. It's good to have options. I might like something, and 20 other people will buy the other one. Everyones happy.

#146 8 years ago

The final version

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#147 8 years ago

I know it wouldn't be a magnet stuck to anything but data east has a clear cut groove that a design could sit in. A turtles design would be awesome even if it was just a sewer idea or a look underground with the technodrome and the bad guys. I hope someone could do this I would easy be in it for $200 as a custom design

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

The final version

image_(resized).png

Nice job Bill, nice and bright.

#149 8 years ago

Scared stiff and gnr would look awesome..

#150 8 years ago

It just accured to me. The US patent office has nothing on design or concept for pinball magnet aprons.
There is also no trademarks for the the name "Magnet Apron" or such.
I encourage Bill to move forward, just don't copy any of the excisting art for any game, make it original, you can however copy colors and fonts.
I also encourage Rick and Joe to make magnet aprons. Competition is what it's about. Free Trade! I look forward to seeing Rick's designs for these aprons soon, he does have all the licensing, should be easy. Would also like to see Joe's designs and coin door magnets!
I look forward to buying ALL 3! I will change them often and support all of those that move pinball forward, not drag it down.

There are 528 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-magnet-apron-mod/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.