Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by JDG1980
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    LOTRpinball_bumper.jpg
    P1100610.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Back in December I purchased my first pinball machine. A LOTR.

We all know whats its like that first time - the excitement, the the nervousness. But we can also be naive and buy a machine that needs what the seller calls 'TLC'. My LOTR was a little more beat up than advertised by the seller by the time I was there I didn't care. It had obviously been routed for a long time, but I could fix anything right?! And its A PINBALL MACHINE. MY OWN PINBALL MACHINE. So I took it and went home, paying slightly higher than I should have for condition but overall happy.

Over time however the little things started to bother me. I would see beautiful LOTRs at other collector's houses and on pinside and be jealous. No wear?? Look how clean it is! No broken plastics!

Well, this week I decided enough was enough and I was going to strip the playfield, and polish this turd. I got the cliffys, I got pinbit plastic protectors, I got white rubbers, I got novus and caranuba wax. I got metal polish! Lets do this.

Here are some before pictures. Notice the broken Arwin and Pop Bumper plastics. Trent sent me a tree plastic replacement for Arwin for $5. The pop plastic however was sent to me free of charge from c3trey. So huge thanks for that. Its awesome.

P1100610.jpgP1100610.jpg LOTRpinball_bumper.jpgLOTRpinball_bumper.jpg2

Now here are some other before before pictures. I hope They get across how dirty this machine really was. If you swiped your finger across it , your finger would be black.

IMG_0722.jpgIMG_0722.jpg IMG_0723.jpgIMG_0723.jpg IMG_0725.jpgIMG_0725.jpg IMG_0726.jpgIMG_0726.jpg

#2 11 years ago

IMG_0728.jpgIMG_0728.jpg IMG_0730.jpgIMG_0730.jpg

So it took me about 15 hours total from start to finish. I took it apart, cleaned with Novus 1, then cleaned with Novus 2, then cleaned with Novus 1 again. Followed with a Mother's Caranuba wax layer. After that I put it all back together, replacing all my dirty black rubbers with new white rubbers.

note the area by the path of the dead that had worn the side rail down. I added the protector from pinbits and used a sharpie to color the already exposed wood black.

IMG_0744.jpgIMG_0744.jpg IMG_0745.jpgIMG_0745.jpg IMG_0747.jpgIMG_0747.jpg IMG_0746.jpgIMG_0746.jpg

I think it looks a lot better, and Im a lot more proud of this machine. Not only is it a better machine, but Its got my blood and sweat in it now.

Funny thing: The night I finished I went to a pinball tournament and was tellinga man there about the teardown, and he told me he could get a clearcoated playfield for under $500 for me. I decided not to get it. Not only am I not eager to take the playfield apart again anytime soon, but If I had a new PF in there it would be a $$$ machine. And I like the idea that there are still being moderately priced good examples of machines out there.

#3 11 years ago

Last photo!

IMG_0748.jpgIMG_0748.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Way to go! looks good man

#5 11 years ago

Congratulations on the outcome. It's a title that's worth the work you put into it. My LOTR has black rubber and I can routinely catch balls with the flippers. I played somebody elses machine that didn't have black rubber(can't remember for sure what color) and I had much more trouble trying to catch balls. I guess other variances could be responsible but I'm blaming the rubber.

My point being that installing the white rubber could change the gameplay.

#6 11 years ago

That was a well loved machine! I just went through a similar effort on mine... it was cleaner to start (but filthy and dull) with but the ramps were worse. Now it's all sparkling clean!

#8 11 years ago

very nice job

#9 11 years ago

How do you guys a get the ramps nice and shiny?

#10 11 years ago

Very nice work. I think it's a lot of fun to learn how to shop a game. And very rewarding when you get it looking real nice

#11 11 years ago

great job!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

How do you guys a get the ramps nice and shiny?

I used NevrDull. Although I will say I was a little weary of rubbing off the gold finish. Im pretty sure if you over-do it that it will happen for sure. Mainly what I noticed is that when all is polished and done, place where there are rust and wear end up shiny and silver, where places that were not too terrible to begin with stay gold and shiny.

#13 11 years ago

I was thinking of trying something called Brasso that was recomended.

#14 11 years ago

NICE! LOTR is a great machine, half the fun is makin' her purty, grats!!

#15 11 years ago

Awesome! Definitely a great feeling to put the shine on something with that amount of work!

#16 11 years ago

Had a bunch of people over last night. Got a couple compliments on the game. That felt good.

#17 11 years ago

Great job! Nice to see a classic like LoTR taken care of so well. Be proud and have a drink on me!

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from TavaLee:

My LOTR has black rubber and I can routinely catch balls with the flippers. I played somebody elses machine that didn't have black rubber(can't remember for sure what color) and I had much more trouble trying to catch balls. I guess other variances could be responsible but I'm blaming the rubber.

Black rubber is less bouncy than other colors, so you're probably correct that this is the reason.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-lotr-teardown-or-how-i-learned-to-love-a-routed-players-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.