Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I created this mod to light the AOTD figured. It was too distracting to have them lit all of the time. I used a picaxe microcontroller and a couple of switches for this mod. When the ball enters the towers, the switch triggers the fading light sequence (easy to code on a picaxe). When the ball exits the POTD, the light sequence is turned off. The light sequence really highlights the POTD, but only when the ball is in it rather than all of the time.
Here's a crarrpy vid of the sequence:

#2 9 years ago

Posting to view later. Thanks. Are you going to make these available to the public?

#3 9 years ago

so slick, nice job!

#4 9 years ago

...and the rubber gloves are for?

#5 9 years ago

I was cleaning/waxing the pf while I had the glass off and I wear gloves when I do that.

#6 9 years ago

Nice work. I like how they only light up when the ball is in the mini PF versus being on the entire time.

#7 9 years ago

Pinball refinery has a nice example of this. Its the one I have installed and really brings those dead guys alive.

http://pinballrefinery.com/store#!/LOTR-Pinball-PoTD-modification/p/20527694/category=4730921

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Pinball refinery has a nice example of this. Its the one I have installed and really brings those dead guys alive.
http://pinballrefinery.com/store#!/LOTR-Pinball-PoTD-modification/p/20527694/category=4730921

I saw this one at PR, and I just implemented it myself in a different way and for a heck of a lot less $$$. I did the same thing with the Balrog whip. That only cost me about $7 in parts. If I can DIY I will, otherwise I will just buy the mod (e.g. mini Tron cab) PR comes up with some very good mods.

#9 9 years ago

Looks great thanks for sharing the video with us!

#10 9 years ago

Very cool. I was working on something similar when I had my LOTR. I made a board that would trigger off the individual switches and light the figure closest to the switch with fading in/out. I got as far as testing it but never installed it. Nice job.

#11 9 years ago

Do you have any instructions. I have the figures and plastic path but not the lighting. Thanks for the help.

#12 9 years ago

I don't have any documented instructions. If you are not familiar with programming a microcontroller, I woudl suggest trying the circuit done by Pinball Refinery. There are some pics of the circuit online and it is very easy to replicate.
I am adding another input to my board to allow dynamic speed control of the fading sequence.

I had some people over this past weekend and the circuit performed very well. Dropped out towards the end of the night but only because the connector slid off the microswitch. I tightened the connector so that it wont happen again.

It's a great effect when the ball falls in the tower and the entire pf goes dark and the POTF characters start pulsing. I really highlights that part of the pf, and only when it needs to.

LOTR is a great pin

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-lotr-potd-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.