Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SDC10565_(Small).JPG
    SDC10566_(Small).JPG
    SDC10568_(Small).JPG
    SDC10563_(Small).JPG
    SDC10561_(Small).JPG
    SDC10558_(Small).JPG
    SDC10559_(Small).JPG
    SDC10557_(Small).JPG
    SDC10556_(Small).JPG
    SDC10555_(Small).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Here are some pics of my LOTR with some add-on figures which are all from the original Play Along toys. For some reason I did not get the camera to focus well but the general layout can be seen. The only thing I changed from the original figures is that Sauron is at the Barad-Dur tower where he belongs, and the Uruk holding the head was inserted on the right pop bumper instead of next to the tower. Gimli is added on the pop bumper behind the Gimli Hole. Boromir is on the left Pop. Legolas is on a custom made plastic I made attached to a screw on the path of the dead. Arwen is also on a custom made plastic.
    On the sword, I have the Witch King and his Nazgul buddy reaching toward the general direction of Frodo. All of these mods have been done without damaging any plastics so they are reversible, except the pop bumper figures. I bought spare pop bumper caps to have in case I want to remove the figures which are attached through the caps with screws.

SDC10555_(Small).JPGSDC10555_(Small).JPG SDC10556_(Small).JPGSDC10556_(Small).JPG SDC10557_(Small).JPGSDC10557_(Small).JPG

#2 12 years ago

More pics:

// Error: Image 19277 not found // SDC10559_(Small).JPGSDC10559_(Small).JPG SDC10558_(Small).JPGSDC10558_(Small).JPG

#3 12 years ago

And More:

SDC10561_(Small).JPGSDC10561_(Small).JPG // Error: Image 19281 not found // SDC10563_(Small).JPGSDC10563_(Small).JPG

#4 12 years ago

some more:

SDC10568_(Small).JPGSDC10568_(Small).JPG SDC10566_(Small).JPGSDC10566_(Small).JPG SDC10565_(Small).JPGSDC10565_(Small).JPG

#7 12 years ago

It does look a little crowded in the pics, but when you are standing in the playing position and are an average height, the distance between figures looks much bigger than the worms-eye-view of the camera shots which diminish depth perception. I also made sure to stay consistent with the story in the use/placement of figures. One other note, I have been very careful about not obstructing my view of the ball. For example, Arwen and Legolas are between the left orbit and the Legolas ramp for a clear line of sight for the paths and all insert lights.

#8 12 years ago

I forgot to mention that tomorrow my LOTR LE will have a new friend. Spiderman is coming to be LOTR's right hand man.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I do like that look but, do the figures block your view of the ball when in play???? Being an early SS lover I prefer a much more open PF than that of the newer pins.

No, I specifically laid them out so that they are not in the line of sight of the ball paths. The Arwen figure is in line with the blue pad between the left orbit and the Legolas path. I have noticed only a slight view obstruction from that figure when the ball is rolling back toward the left flipper, but it has not affected my gameplay. The first time I played it with the new figures installed, I had my 2nd best game to date.

I am sure that the view is much better with these figures than the Spiderman Back Alley Creations building and subway mods.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

DCFAN said:

RWH said:I do like that look but, do the figures block your view of the ball when in play???? Being an early SS lover I prefer a much more open PF than that of the newer pins.
    No, I specifically laid them out so that they are not in the line of sight of the ball paths. The Arwen figure is in line with the blue pad between the left orbit and the Legolas path. I have noticed only a slight view obstruction from that figure when the ball is rolling back toward the left flipper, but it has not affected my gameplay. The first time I played it with the new figures installed, I had my 2nd best game to date.
    I am sure that the view is much better with these figures than the spiderman Back Alley Creations building and subway mods.
    Why are all the figurines basically facing the player? Looks a bit odd/unnatural. I set up a few "battle scenes" in mine, with the figurines looking like they are interacting with each other, rather than just being "on display."

The slingshot figures are oriented like the originals so they are not all just on display in a player facing orientation. It makes sense for the horses to be facing forward. I don't think anybody wants to be looking at a horse's ass when they are playing. Also, The Witch King and Nazgul are trying to get the ring from Frodo so they are facing him. Not all the placement was my idea. I will readily admit that I saw some other pinhead's work to get some of my ideas and inspiration.

As a matter of fact, I don't recall many pinball machines that have toys that do not face the player by any manufacturer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-lotr-le-custom-figures-in-addition-to-the-originals-from-the-non-le?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.