My location offered me $500 bonus to bring in a premium instead of pro.

(Topic ID: 144396)

My location offered me $500 bonus to bring in a premium instead of pro.

By dannunz

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by joemamma
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

met_game_underground.jpg
    image.jpg
    LE.jpg

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I didn't mean to offend. I 100% agree with your assessment. I am jumping for joy that one is going on location near me. Both locations I mentioned in my post have Tron, and they keep it on location because it earns well. One of those locations had a MET Pro (non LED), and it is gone because their other games out earned it. Maybe it was just simply the fact that it looked a bit dull with incandescent bulbs next to Star Trek. I'm not sure. But I do know that if it had earned its keep, it would still be there.
    And seriously, I love MET. I can't wait to play it Sunday. I probably should have said that better.

The other location I use for my bi-weekly tournaments has 4 Sterns. Rolling Stones, Transformers, Star Trek, Walking Dead. The first 2 look so dated next to the LED games. I actually like several things about TRS and TF, but they are dated with the lighting how it is. When the location sells TF, I'm going to try to get it and with LEDs that will be a different game visually.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

The other side of your theory ... Newbies/general public don't know what "deep rules" are, they want to hit something and get 4 balls flying around the playfield ASAP. Getting to multiball is an achievement for most, and the easier you can figure it out/start it the better for a location game.
    I played GOT Pro at Expo, only got a few games on it, but it seemed to be a little confusing at first, even for a more experienced player. Choose a house. What's a house? No idea. Don't watch the show. What's Bannister? The handrail on a staircase? Don't know. Don't watch the show. Where's multiball? Don't know. No sparky to hit. See what I mean ...?
    More experienced players/enthusiasts will drop a few more coins in so they can explore the game more. But newbies will walk away and play something else.
    rd

Disagree on GoT based on the one on location at the local bar. it gets lots of play from random casual folks who seem to like it b/c with almost ANY pinball they don't really know what to do or what's causing what. It earned 937 paid plays in the first 11 days so not sure if that's good or not but i am at this bar all the time and tons of newbies play it and girls seem to like it a lot prob b/c of the theme I am guessing.

Quoted from Law:

The latest update defaults to the Starks and might spot you a mode start as well unless you hold down an extra button when starting the game. It's supposed to be more casual-friendly.

we had the OP not turn on casual mode b/c we didn't want to wait 3-seconds every time we played but folks actually seem to understand to pick a house and I think most are playing based on theme so they pick a popular house unless they are greedy incest lovers, in which case they pick Lannister.

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

girls seem to like it a lot prob b/c of the theme I am guessing.

It's the imp!

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I would love to put 5 or 6 games in their. That could happen if the pinball machines start to make them more money than some of their video and driving games. It's up to you guys coming out and playing them.

Others have mentioned the notion that there is only so much pinball money that will walk into that room, so you would reach the proverbial point of diminishing returns. But you can promise the owner that you'll be promoting play in the Location forum here on Pinside! Try to make the best of it. It's the location owner's job to worry about revenue per square foot, not yours.

Regarding the deal, I would suggest the following guiding principles:
    1. You want freedom to rotate any game out, whether due to low earnings, repair issues, because you just got a better location and want to put it there, or any other reason.
    2. You always want the location to make some money off every game, every week, unless the cash box is utterly pathetic. I'm opposed to an arrangement where you get the first $1000 (or whatever) that leaves him high and dry for those important early weeks. More generally, you don't want to give the location a monetary incentive to drive players away from any one of your games, but I think a premium split (more to your favor) for a premium game is OK, since the game is so desirable.
    3. Be willing to have different pricing on different games. Sarah at Pinball Wizard Arcade does that all the time. Example: Premium game at $1.00 per play, location gets 40 cents at 40%; standard game at 75-cent play, location gets 37.5c
    at 50%; they (and you) make more money on the higher-priced game.

Beyond those principles, I prefer to have that $500 bonus be recouped from the cash box rather than have it be a direct payment to you, but I'm not solidly opposed to the direct payment. (Now re-read principle #1 above.) BTW, the location has a lot of potential if they want to spend $500 on something to promote pinball, like taking out paid ads somewhere. There are a lot of ways to constructively channel an offer to pump money into this special offering, and many of the options are ones that are better executed by the location rather than the operator. As a former operator, I can say that I always dreamed of having a location that was this interested in pinball!
    .................David Marston

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

It earned 937 paid plays in the first 11 days so not sure if that's good or not

That is an absolutely insane number of plays. At that pace, a Pro would pay itself off in under two months! (Not accounting for revenue split.)

#106 3 years ago

Ok now their is 2 games on location at the Game Underground Natick MA

met_game_underground.jpg

#107 3 years ago

You're a brave soul to leave such a beautiful Metallica out on location...How can you bare to part with it??

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

You're a brave soul to leave such a beautiful Metallica out on location...How can you bare to part with it??

I had it at Pintastic and it bared well. I am trying to promote pinball in the New England area. Hey at least I took the invisaglass off lol. Will see how it goes. If it get one more person interested in pinball than it was worth it to me. This hobby has brought me a lot of joy and I want to share with others. I saw 3 teen boys playing it today and it was so worth it. They were having a blast!

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

I think it is great payback to them acting like A-holes in the Napster days. Think about it. They made their money on the game up front through license. Now, every dollar you make you get getting off their name without them being able to get another penny more. Keep it running.

Dave

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I had it at Pintastic and it bared well. I am trying to promote pinball in the New England area. Hey at least I took the invisaglass off lol. Will see how it goes. If it get one more person interested in pinball than it was worth it to me. This hobby has brought me a lot of joy and I want to share with others. I saw 3 teen boys playing it today and it was so worth it. They were having a blast!

I spent quite a bit of time playing that beauty at Pintastic myself, which is a big factor in why I have my own Premium coming in a few months. I'll make sure to stop by and pump a bunch of quarters in next time I'm in Boston!

#111 3 years ago

Congrats on the new location! Let me know if you need prices on any new Sterns.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Congrats on the new location! Let me know if you need prices on any new Sterns.

Thanks Mike!

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Ok now their is 2 games on location at the Game Underground Natick MA

met_game_underground.jpg

Gabe,

I just left there. That Metallica is in amazing shape and played great! I left my initials in the number 1 (so I'm assuming the high scores were reset when it went in. Thanks a bunch for putting games like that out for the rest of us to play! We really appreciate it.

DaveH

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Gabe,
    I just left there. That Metallica is in amazing shape and played great! I left my initials in the number 1 (so I'm assuming the high scores were reset when it went in. Thanks a bunch for putting games like that out for the rest of us to play! We really appreciate it.
    DaveH

Yes Dave the high scores were reset. Let's see how long your score lasts. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Gabe,
    DaveH

How much money did you give Gabe?

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

How much money did you give Gabe?

I only had time to give him 5 bucks. However, I think I'll regularly be dropping money into his coin box to defend my high score on it. It is close enough to work to sneak out for "lunch". I like the color changers, the badge, the light rails, the backbox, the art on the sides of the cab inside, and the color DMD. It's a wonderful copy of the game.

For those looking for it there, the entrance to Game Underground is outside. You have to exit the mall to get there.

#117 3 years ago

If anyone knows of any good locations in MA that are looking for high quality pinball machines please let me know. Thanks

#118 3 years ago

The answer is yes... Yes I can get there, play, and get back to work all during a slightly longer than normal lunch. This is awesome

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

If anyone knows of any good locations in MA that are looking for high quality pinball machines please let me know. Thanks

My hometown has literally no places to play pinball, but there are several pizza restaurants around town that have wide spaces to put them in. They're fairly popular and easy to walk to and I'm sure people would appreciate it.

#120 3 years ago

A pro or a premium will earn about the same amount if the per game price is the same. Even higher per game is no guarantee its gonna earn more per week.

My boss has said many times he could put an empty cardboard box with a coin door on it next to a pinball and the box will out earn a pinball some weeks! I agree with him after seeing the coin boxes weekly.

I was going to get an MMRLE until they slowed production and we bought a GOT pro instead. Bird in the hand thing. Tried to get a WOZ and got shutdown. Pinz just don't earn what videos do. Plus they take a shitload more to keep going. Hard to justify the initial investment of pinball today.

Chris Kruger

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    € 45.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 8,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Professor Pinball
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside