(Topic ID: 232576)

My life ended today - my complete pinball collection burnt down

By german-pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kripo Hagen_ „Es war Brandstiftung im Erdgeschoss“ _ wp.de _ HagenEN.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_5810 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5806 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5804 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5802 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20181228-145207_Chrome (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-20-49-28 (1) (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-20-49-28 (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-20-49-28 (3) (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-20-49-28 (2) (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-17-03-57 (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-16-58-09 - 4 (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-15-06-22 - 3 (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-15-06-21 - 2 (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2018-12-27-15-06-21 - 1 (resized).jpg

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago

Hello my pinball friend. Just realize, we come into this earth with nothing. Not one material thing. And we leave with nothing. So, all the “things” we accumulate along our journey of life are fun and exciting, but in the end, they really don’t mean anything. It’s our family, relationships and memories that mean everything. God bless my brother.

#52 5 years ago

My goodness this really sucks Ingo. Really sorry for you. Ingo you are one of the nicest, most generous pinball guys out there, and your work to enhance the hobby (even just the TZ clock -alone- would be incredible) is second to none.

I do hope you will find again your passion to collect once this is all sorted out. ...And get that guy who started the fire.

#53 5 years ago

Wow speechless. Such a big loss of property.

Thankfully no-one was injured.

#54 5 years ago

I am so sorry Ingo. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. Try to focus on the positives that neither you nor loved ones were involved. The loss of so many machines is very sad but replaceable with time.

#55 5 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss....

#56 5 years ago

Such a terrible thing to happen to a great person. Really sucks that you have to deal with this it. So sorry =(.

#57 5 years ago

So sorry, I lost some sentimental stuff in a flood about 7 years ago. Nothing like that, but I know it sucks.

#58 5 years ago

So glad no one was hurt. Pins maybe material things but that doesn't stop the empty feelings. 14 years? Shew. Sorry for your loss of pins.

#59 5 years ago

I am very, very sorry to hear about this. Glad that you are ok.

It is ironic as I just adjusted my Pinball Insurance today. My Wife is very smart to insist that I should have some coverage on my few machines.

#60 5 years ago

Hi Ingo,

I don't think i can say anything that will help at this time, except i am glad you and your family are well and safe.

Take care and so sorry

Rob

#61 5 years ago

Wow.. just wow . I’m just glad nobody got hurt

#62 5 years ago

Aww man, what a devastating loss. I'm so sorry.

#63 5 years ago

Glad that physically you're ok. Sorry for your lost of machines and the time you put into them.

#64 5 years ago

So sorry to hear!!

#65 5 years ago

Is insurance different in Europe? I remember when I bought my first machine. I made sure to call my homeowners insurance to make sure it was covered. I had $40k worth of machines at one time and made double sure to check coverage. Is Europe different?

Huge bummer. Keep in mind your life didn’t end. They are just things. There are literally people starving to death right now. Their life is ending...yours is not. Chin up and move on.

#66 5 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, hopefully the building was insured for a more than enough amount to at least cover some of your loss.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Oh my
    That's awful--very sorry to hear about your loss
    -----
    For anyone who does not have their collection and other valuables insured--do it today. Don't wait, don't say you'll get to it next week, do it now. It's not that expensive and it only takes a few minutes. Two insurance companies that seem to be able to cover collectibles are state farm and collectinsure.com. Make sure to ask about both fire and flood coverage. If you have off-site storage or storage units, those can be covered as well.
    Often times, collectibles and other valuables are not included under the standard home/renter/building insurance, or they are only covered by a low cap of around $1000-$2000.
    Be sure to note serial numbers and take photos of everything and put those in a safe place off-site, such as a safe deposit box. Get a USB flash drive to store the data, and update it every quarter. The insurance company won't need that info until you actually file a claim.

Insurance companies are your friend, until something goes wrong.

State Farm is pathetic. See: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/galina-nemirovsky/dealing-with-state-farm-i_b_12295220.html?ec_carp=6441223178797555408

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Mr Bally,
    Many of us remember that you taught how to properly type out "Insurance COmpaNies".

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

The worst thing in my life happened today. Tonight our whole Pinball hall burnt completly down. ALL about 100 machines destroyed by fire and water. NOTHING to rescue, all gone, last 14 years gone ...
    I do not even get the chance, to go into the house; an excavator has started to demolish the whole house because of collapse danger. I was not allowed, to rescue at least parts from the excavator shovel, backglasses, cabinets, just crushed ...
    Floor ceilings broke through the house and destroyed everything. I friend of mine informed me this night, the hall is about 15 km away from my home.
    NO insurence for the pinball machines ... I am completly down ... Why did that happen to me?
    Tons of PCBs, plastics, Playfields, Hardware ... ALL AWAY forever ... My complete Gottlieb SYS1 collection including my loved AAAAA destroyed and gone forever.
    You cannot imagine, how I feel today ... Only my little 9 year old son Ingo junior gives me strength and keeps me upright ... I could cry the whole night long ...
    Nothing will remain of the house, my work from the last 14 years, all ended ...

I feel your pain. This is a real heartbreaker.
    I see you have an image of Asteroid Annie as your avatar. I had a close-up of Annie as my avatar for several years.
    Asteroid Annie is/was a special machine for me, and I was happy to own one for about 5 years, but decided to sell it and let another pinball machine collector enjoy taking care of her now. I liked looking at all the artwork on Asteroid Annie (backglass, playfield, and cabinet).

#70 5 years ago

Let us know if you or someone can get permission to go through the burned bldg to see if any parts of machines can be found to have somehow survived serious damage and can be retrieved. If you don't have the strength to endure going through that, perhaps someone you know can get approval to check things out. I wouldn't want to see anyone you know get falsely accused of attempted looting for not getting the ok from police or whoever.

#71 5 years ago

This post probably will lead to the creation of at least 25 new policies. It has me considering it. As much as I hate the idea of gambling against myself being free from a calamity, that loss would be hard to take.

Sorry for your loss. It would be much much worse if someone was hurt or killed though. Regroup, gather yourself, and look forward to the process of rebuilding your collection.

#72 5 years ago

From looking through your collection of machines listed here on pinside, and seeing your initial post mentioning 100 machines, does that mean that you owned 30+ of the 100 or so machines, and that other friends/collectors also had part or all of their collections kept there at the same bldg?

#73 5 years ago

Wow that is awful. Really sorry that this happened to you. Your life didnt end though because you still have your family and your health etc. That is definitely a big blow to you though i am sure. Keep your chin up!

#74 5 years ago

Sorry to hear about your loss. This is terrible for you and for the hobby. I have 15 games and can't imagine...

#75 5 years ago

My goodness, I’m so sorry this happened, I hope you can find some way to rebuild your collection better than before. I feel terrible for you ... so glad your family is ok!

#76 5 years ago

OMG!
    What a nightmare!
    Hang in there, glad nobody got hurt or killed!!

#77 5 years ago

That is a terrible loss for you-no doubt representative of lifes' work. But so glad that your family is ok-the most important thing.

#78 5 years ago

Nie gedacht das ich, alter Hagener, hier mal n Bericht aus der Westfalen Post lesen würde....under dann auch noch aus solch beschissenem Anlass..

Sorry to hear about your loss, I'm actually blown away by the fact that something like your collection existed right down the road from my old home in Hagen.
    All the best

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

State Farm is pathetic. See: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/galina-nemirovsky/dealing-with-state-farm-i_b_12295220.html?ec_carp=6441223178797555408

The few times I've had to deal with them, it was surprisingly quick and easy. No complaints so far, and I was very surprised that I didn't have to battle with them at all. I guess part of it might depend on who is operating the local office.

#80 5 years ago

I am with you, you are always welcome at my home !!!
    Mourning greetings
    Kurt
    Switzerland

#81 5 years ago

Ugh. This is terrible news. So sorry you’re going through this.

It was an absolute pleasure to deal with you when I bought my TZ clock board from you a few years back.

I hope you can find happiness in the things you didn’t lose.

Despite the tragedy, I wish you a Happy New Year.

#82 5 years ago

I'm so sorry for this big loss.

#83 5 years ago

Very sorry to read about this. I echo some of the other comments that I'm glad no one got hurt, not your family, not the neighbors and not the firefighters, since it was such a serious fire.

Still devastating.

#84 5 years ago

I can’t imagine how you feel. You spend so much of your life and time on a thing, then it’s gone. Its going to be emotional, you’re going to grieve. Shit like this takes time to get over. Best you can do is allow yourself to feel awful about it; lean on those who can help during this time, and recognize that someday this won’t be so painful. You’ll be able to rebuild. Good luck and best wishes.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

The worst thing in my life happened today. Tonight our whole Pinball hall burnt completly down. ALL about 100 machines destroyed by fire and water. NOTHING to rescue, all gone, last 14 years gone ...
    I do not even get the chance, to go into the house; an excavator has started to demolish the whole house because of collapse danger. I was not allowed, to rescue at least parts from the excavator shovel, backglasses, cabinets, just crushed ...
    Floor ceilings broke through the house and destroyed everything. I friend of mine informed me this night, the hall is about 15 km away from my home.
    NO insurence for the pinball machines ... I am completly down ... Why did that happen to me?
    Tons of PCBs, plastics, Playfields, Hardware ... ALL AWAY forever ... My complete Gottlieb SYS1 collection including my loved AAAAA destroyed and gone forever.
    You cannot imagine, how I feel today ... Only my little 9 year old son Ingo junior gives me strength and keeps me upright ... I could cry the whole night long ...
    Nothing will remain of the house, my work from the last 14 years, all ended ...
    Video from the fire Department:
    https://www.facebook.com/BlaulichtREPORTHagen/videos/318094555503351/
    https://www.facebook.com/BlaulichtREPORTHagen/videos/318094555503351/
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Easily the worst thing I have ever seen on Pinside. I just got home after a good night and the evening is ruined. Nothing compared to how you are feeling brother. I can't imagine. You ask "Why did happen to me?". I don't know. This is ridiculous. I am so sad and close to tears. It reminds me of when Papa got flooded. Keep your chin up man.

#86 5 years ago

Man! What tragedy! Time is your only friend for your loss now. But life is what really matters. You and your family. You will replace the machines in time. Look forward to the hunt! Although the memory will be with you always... Keep us informed on your journey....

#87 5 years ago

When I read your story,my stomach turned sour!!!SO Sorry for your loss,we all feel you Brother! This is the time I wish I was rich,so I could help replace some of your loss!!!:(Peace!!!!

#88 5 years ago

Ingo,

I'm sure it will be tough to deal with this huge loss, fire is a terrible thing, even smoke damage from a fire causes alot of damage.

Hopefully you can get through the huge emotional (& physical) loss; regroup with you and your friends and create something even better as a memorial, just take one step at a time.

Hang in there.

Chuck

#89 5 years ago

Sorry about this. If someone else was at fault, like a nearby automobile starting the fire, could the pin damage have to be covered by their auto insurance property?

#90 5 years ago

So sorry to hear! Glad your ok and nobody was hurt or worse in the fire. I have a nice fully working MGOW and some other sys 80 projects. I am willing to give you the MGOW and one of my other sys 80 projects to start your collection over. I'm in the USA, if you can afford to have them shipped I can pallet wrap them for you. PM me if your interested.

Things will get better in time. Hoping things get better for you soon.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Important thing is that you and your son are fine.
    Everything else is secondary.
    Very sorry to see this though.

Well he says he lives 15 km away, so i dont think they where ever in danger? Still sad day anyway.

#92 5 years ago

That's awful. Sorry for your loss.

#93 5 years ago

Very sorry to hear that Ingo. You are a very energetic and creative guy, so in the long run you will get over this. No people were injured and most games are replaceable. (We met many years ago when you bought a Close Encounters in Rheudt).

#94 5 years ago

Unbelievable, I couldn’t imagine this happening to anybody. Glad everyone is OK physically though.

#95 5 years ago

Wow, those photos are just shocking and it's tough to imagine losing something so important to you. Of course, as so many others have said, it's fortunate no humans were hurt.

Hard as this is to see and read, I'm glad you shared the story - it reminds me how many friends we all have here on Pinside. We're here for you if you need us!

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#96 5 years ago

Words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. Thank God no one was hurt.

#97 5 years ago

man that stinks. I just added a separate policy for my pins after reading this, I admit I had been procrastinating but no more. I went with collectinsure.com, $87k of coverage for $400 a year. Hopefully you get enough from your building to replace your machines.

#98 5 years ago

Oh, what a disaster. HOWever... there are more games and more buildings. I know the loss stings, but you will recover, maybe bigger, maybe smaller, but definitely better.

#99 5 years ago

Can't even imagine how you are feeling, so sorry for the loss. While a lot of people will tell you that they are only things, anything that you put time and energy into becomes special and its natural to fell that you have lost a small part of yourself. Time really is the only thing that makes it easier to deal with.

#100 5 years ago

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Simply awful. Don't think of it as 14 years gone though - those were 14 great years of enjoying the pinball hobby as well as enjoying life. Soon you will begin a fresh start as time heals all wounds...

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-life-ended-today-my-complete-pinball-collection-burnt-down/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.