1.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Just wanted to share some pics of the restore job of this Twilight Zone. A lot of work went into this project and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.

Complete playfield dissasembley... cleaned, buffed and waxed x3
Removed and cleaned all under the playfield ball passages
Cleaned wiring harness
Cleaned cabinet inside and out. Touched up as nessasary.
Cointaker LED's all around (with the exception of the flashers, i prefer incadesent)
Installed pintbits complete gumball LED and door flasher kit
Completley rebuilt the clock and replaced with LED's. Switched to color clock face decal.
Rebuilt all flippers and popbumpers including coils (actually replaced all coils and rebuilt assemblies)
Installed reinforced targets for slot and clock
Removed all stainless... removed habbit trails and regrained
Repaired slot machine weldment (TIG)
Playfield had no wear but installed a complete set of cliffy protectors
Replaced mini playfield, installed GLM switch kit, magna flip protector and fabbed lexan wire guard
Replaced GI connectors and pins on driver board

and a whole lot more that i cant think of right now. ill add later as I remember

4.jpg4.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg 7.jpg7.jpg 9.jpg9.jpg 10.jpg10.jpg

#2 12 years ago

11.jpg11.jpg 12.jpg12.jpg

#3 12 years ago

1.jpg1.jpg

#4 12 years ago

Nice, you selling it?

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from GoBlue:

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO | # | !! |
Nice, you selling it?

Thanks, GoBlue. Not planing on selling this any time soon, going to enjoy it for a while. I'm sure one day though.

#7 12 years ago

Fabulous job ssathre. Looks great and all the work you have performed is shining thru. You have been busy.

Quoted from ssathre:Removed all stainless... removed habbit trails and regrained

May I ask what "regraining" is exactly? Is it plating? Once again ...looks fantastic.

#8 12 years ago

Nice job, looks great!

I like the black and white free play card with the cartoon Rod Serling.

#9 12 years ago

Very nice. I'm getting ready for a full shop on my TZ, and installing all the little goodies I've been collecting. Just need to get the mini PF switch kit. I intend to start mirror buffing all stainless everything soon as well. I've seen this done a few times now, and it comes out great.

Fun collection you have there ssathre.

#10 12 years ago

Looks fantastic, you did great job ssathre! Looks like it plays very fast, how 'bout it?

#12 12 years ago

Awesome Job, I hope I will be able to get a TZ in my collection in the future

#13 12 years ago

Excellent!

#14 12 years ago

Looks great ,nice job. I am in the process of shopping mine and adding some mods,LEDs,decals. Have fun

#15 12 years ago

Thanks for all the Kind words guys... it's not enough to hear it from family. hearing it from fellow pin heads means the world to me!

Quoted from Silverballer:

May I ask what "regraining" is exactly? Is it plating? Once again ...looks fantastic

regaining is the sanding of the stainless to bring back the factory satin finish. it remove the habit trails and scratches.

Quoted from RWH:

Looks fantastic, you did great job ssathre! Looks like it plays very fast, how 'bout it?

yes, it's a whole different pin now. it was quite dirty before and all the coils were weak. now with the rebuilt flippers and coils it's, well... down right mean! (and I like it!)

Quoted from Rum-Z:

Nice job, looks great!

I like the black and white free play card with the cartoon Rod Serling.

Thanks! that was something that I whipped up at work when I was bored. I wanted something original and thought that keeping it black and white was keeping it true to the original tv series. I'll be happy to share with anyone who wants a copy.

#16 12 years ago

I know a number of folks don't like LED's but I think they look great on the older WMS/Bally pins. Nice job.

#17 12 years ago

Very nice and classy job, ssathre! Tasteful use of LED's, not overly modded, looks clean and uncluttered. I hope you enjoy it for a long time

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Very nice and classy job, ssathre! Tasteful use of LED's, not overly modded, looks clean and uncluttered. I hope you enjoy it for a long time

Thanks, Cliffy. That really means a lot!

BTW, I'm a real fan of your protectors. I have them installed on my whirlwind, LAH and now TZ.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

I know a number of folks don't like LED's but I think they look great on the older WMS/Bally pins. Nice job.

Thanks, kmoore! I tried three different brands/types of LEDs on this to get the look I was after. I have to say that the LED guide here on pinside and looking at other TZ owners pins (Black_Rose, Shanetastic, to name a few) gave me a lot of ideas. I still don't care for LED flashers, (the brand that I put in my LAH gives me a migraine, seriously) so im using regular flasher bulbs (some colored). I absolutely love the WW retro bulbs from coin taker! it's truly the best of both worlds, IMHO.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

BTW, I'm a real fan of your protectors. I have them installed on my Whirlwind, LAH and now TZ.

Indeed I see my mini pf edge protector on your game along with GLM low profile switches. SUPER clean look, dontcha think? So much nicer than a battered plywood edge and pinched switch and lamp wires. IMHO the best protector I've made for looks and wire protection alone

If you ever do want to *make* some of your own mods I've created a few pictorials that take you step by step through the process. You seem handy enough to do them so save some $$$ and make your own! http://crinear.smugmug.com/Pinball will take you to them.

#21 12 years ago

Nice work!

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Indeed I see my mini pf edge protector on your game along with GLM low profile switches. SUPER clean look, dontcha think? So much nicer than a battered plywood edge and pinched switch and lamp wires. IMHO the best protector I've made for looks and wire protection alone

I Agree, it looks so much nicer than stock. The previous mini playfield had taken a major beating and the wires were mangled and shorting out. I wasn't going to have that happen to the new mini PF and your protector was a no brainer!

Quoted from Cliffy:

If you ever do want to *make* some of your own mods I've created a few pictorials that take you step by step through the process. You seem handy enough to do them so save some $$$ and make your own! http://crinear.smugmug.com/Pinball will take you to them.

Thanks for the link, I'm sure that it will come in handy! I have been planning on a few mods of my own... but nothing too serious at the moment. just lots of ideas and parts laying around. Once winter sets in, and my shop is finished I will probably get motivated enough to actually start working on them.

#23 12 years ago

here is the pricing card I made. Ive had a few inquires so I thought I would post it here.

TZ-Pricing_card.jpgTZ-Pricing_card.jpg

#24 12 years ago

Nice looks like you did a fine job

where did you happen to pick up a restorable machine? not many pins our region here it seems

Post edited by dvandentop

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Very nice. I'm getting ready for a full shop on my TZ, and installing all the little goodies I've been collecting. Just need to get the mini PF switch kit. I intend to start mirror buffing all stainless everything soon as well. I've seen this done a few times now, and it comes out great.

Fun collection you have there ssathre.

I actually had all the stainless buffed to mirror at first... started to put it all back on and decided it was too much for my liking. another deciding point was the GLM switch kit I didn't want to remove the mounted switches to put them on the buffing wheel and without doing that, the mis match would have drove me NUTZ! At any rate I Took them all back to the bench and put the grain back... I think the Ol lady was contemplating having me committed after all the work put into polishing all that steel.

oh, and you sir... have one hell-of-a collection!

#26 12 years ago

I like yr B/board decal..The Spiral !!! Mine is a Acrylic mirror..

#27 12 years ago

Awesome job.

Jealous of LAH too. I want that to be my next pin.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

Nice looks like you did a fine job

where did you happen to pick up a restorable machine? not many pins our region here it seems

Post edited by dvandentop

Picked this one up from Al at the pinball warehouse in Minnesota. it was actually in really good condition by most peoples standards. the only playfield wear was were the ball drops on the switch from the wire form ramp, and even then it wasn't bad. The previous owner had done some pretty whacky (I.e. STUPID) modifications that needed to be removed and that required a major disassembly. I have a little OCD when it comes to these things so of course I went crazy.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I have been looking at yours for the last month or so. I would really like to do this and have been meaning to pick your brain regarding this. Does your mirror extend all the way down to the playfield surface?

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Awesome job.

Jealous of LAH too. I want that to be my next pin.

Thanks, Rascal. Ill have to take some shots of LAH as well, got done with that one and started right in on TZ. however I'm not happy with the LED's I used in that as they have major ghosting issues. also the GI in the back box is horrible and put white focal spots all over the govenators ugly mug.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

Picked this one up from Al at the pinball warehouse in Minnesota. it was actually in really good condition by most peoples standards. the only playfield wear was were the ball drops on the switch from the wire form ramp, and even then it wasn't bad. The previous owner had done some pretty whacky (I.e. STUPID) modifications that needed to be removed and that required a major disassembly. I have a little OCD when it comes to these things so of course I went crazy.

nice i am going to try to stop here when i am up in the cities is he somewhat flexible on price? i have called about some machines but he was somewhat high

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

nice i am going to try to stop here when i am up in the cities is he somewhat flexible on price? i have called about some machines but he was somewhat high

not from my experience. he does have a really nice selection though. I just couldn't find a TZ in our neck of the woods that wasn't hacked to pieces and still expecting to get top dollar.

#33 12 years ago

Looks great what a nice job! I really like the side decals they fit the machine to the T. Well played!

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Looks great what a nice job! I really like the side decals they fit the machine to the T. Well played!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for those. they were on the machine when I picked it up. they are pretty beat up from the playfield rubbing on them so I might replace them... or go crazy and put acrylic mirrors on the side and back. Black_Rose got my imagination running wild with his mirrored backboard!

#35 12 years ago

Fantastic A - lister
nice job

#36 12 years ago

BLACK_ROSE said:

I have been looking at yours for the last month or so. I would really like to do this and have been meaning to pick your brain regarding this. Does your mirror extend all the way down to the playfield surface?

Oh Yea !!! It's Pre-Cut to fit and i didn't clip the Top corner's either.. Let me eat my supper and I'll find the Reciept and i'll give you the info.. I think it was $ 8.00 plus a few $'s to ship !!

TZ_B-Board_mod.jpgTZ_B-Board_mod.jpg TZ_B-Board_mod_.jpgTZ_B-Board_mod_.jpg TZ_B-Board_mod__.jpgTZ_B-Board_mod__.jpg

#37 12 years ago

Here's a Current pict- ( suck's ,, will try another w/ Flash ) , and the Receipt ..

100_0782.JPG100_0782.JPG 100_0786.JPG100_0786.JPG

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Here's a Current pict- ( suck's ,, will try another w/ Flash ) , and the Receipt ..

Thank you, B_R!

#39 12 years ago

Here's a couple of Better Pict's- w/ Flash ON !!! Tap Plastic's offer's Novus by the Pint , Quart or by the Gallon and Alot More !!

http://www.tapplastics.com/

100_0789.JPG100_0789.JPG 100_0790.JPG100_0790.JPG

#40 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Here's a couple of Better Pict's- w/ Flash ON !!! Tap Plastic's offer's Novus by the Pint , Quart or by the Gallon and Alot More !!

did you ever think about giving the sides mirrors as well?

#41 12 years ago

I have ,, But it Will be a Tight Fit... I've Painted the side's Gloss Black .. I'm Happy

The Super 906's and All the led's are Bright enough,, Shine Glare from the Side's , I might would actually get Blinded.. I Passed the Mirror B/B info to shanetastic after he got his TZ from Andrew
( Palmetto pinball ) of ( Marco Specialty's ) he has it installed.. the Mirror is the way to go IMOP ..

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=521&;

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

The Super 906's and All the led's are Bright enough,, Shine Glare from the Side's , I might would actually get Blinded..

yes, I can see your point. It could be very distracting and I'm easily amused by flashing lights and colors as it is!

Thanks for the link, I ordered one up for twilight zone and I got another piece as well. Might try putting it in my F-14... just need to get the hole saw out, lol.

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

here is the pricing card I made. Ive had a few inquires so I thought I would post it here.

Thanks for sharing.

#44 12 years ago

Great job! Great thread, too

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Great job! Great thread, too

Thanks! You need to stop by and check it out if you're ever in the SUX neighborhood.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 132.00
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-latest-twilight-zone-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.