20130609_112104.jpg
20130606_212835.jpg
20130606_212733.jpg
20130606_212717.jpg
IMGA0338.JPG
IMGA0333.JPG
IMGA0337.JPG
Space_Shuttle_(before_after).jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Just picked up a Space Shuttle that is in need of some love. I went there hearing that it worked 100% but the playfield was destroyed. When I got there I heard that the display didn't work. The cabinet was rough but the backglass was near mint. I asked to put the backbox on and plug it in. While we are hooking all of the wires up, I noticed many burnt pins. We turned it on and just the lights came on. I said I'll give you $100, he said well I was wanting more but I was expecting it to do more , it's yours.

Pictures to come later on, I have to drive back to Louisville, make sure my apartment is decent and bribe a neighbor into helping me with my haul.

Any word on when CPR is going to have more Playfields?

#2 11 years ago

At least you got a good price.

The playfields are still available as far as I know. Check all the usual suspects...Marco, and then BAA or Planetary Pinball if you must. Personally, I won't ever buy anything ever again from BAA if I can avoid it.

I'm in the middle of the playfield swap on mine.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks, I found the playfield at Marco, I will also get a stencil kit, new plastics and that should just about do it. I might end up losing money on this deal but the guy told me he was a couple weeks away from throwing it in the dumpster and we all know a true pinhead would never let that happen.

#4 11 years ago

Good job saving a pin from the dumpster!

#5 11 years ago

The backglass alone is worth more than you paid for it.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I might end up losing money on this deal but the guy told me he was a couple weeks away from throwing it in the dumpster and we all know a true pinhead would never let that happen.

If you're looking to flip a pin, Space Shuttle might not be the title as even a completely mint one only goes for $3000.

But if you're looking to restore for yourself, you can't lose because Space Shuttle is a great game.

#7 11 years ago

I'm planning on restoring it for myself, I want to get in to some preDMD games for variety. I also just noticed I need a new ramp. i'm planning on taking all of the old parts and making some wall art or maybe a coffee table out of it

#9 11 years ago

I tell you what...

If someone wants to pay 3000 for my Shuttle after I get the PF swap done and restencil the cabinet, I'd probably take it.

Have never seen one sell for that.

*edit* Are you talking about a retail price? LOL.

#10 11 years ago

So here is the list so far, (just from looking at it, it still won't boot). I need a new playfield, ramp, space shuttle, bumper caps, a few noticeably broken switches, rubber kit, plastic kit, legs, and stencils. There is also obviously something messed up with my ball trough.

OK, I've never done a playfield swap. What do you do with the wooden partitions on the sides? How do you get those off and secure to new machine? Where can I get the paint to match the cabinet? What is the best way to fill in chunks missing from the wood on the corners?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If someone wants to pay 3000 for my Shuttle after I get the PF swap done and restencil the cabinet, I'd probably take it.

That would not be a mint Shuttle.

You need mint condition original parts; serious collectors are not looking for fake or reproduced parts.

#12 11 years ago

So here is the list so far, (just from looking at it, it still won't boot). I need a new playfield, ramp, Space Shuttle, bumper caps, a few noticeably broken switches, rubber kit, plastic kit, legs, and stencils. There is also obviously something messed up with my ball trough.

Bumper caps are unavailable. I'm restoring a whole shop full of Shuttles right now and no one found any NOS or repro caps at all.

OK, I've never done a playfield swap. What do you do with the wooden partitions on the sides? How do you get those off and secure to new machine? Where can I get the paint to match the cabinet? What is the best way to fill in chunks missing from the wood on the corners?

Wood is secured by phillips screws from under the playfield. Some will be cracked but you can make new ones from White Oak.

Take the empty head into any hardware store. They will match the paint for you.

Missing chunks can be filled with Bondo, Plastic Wood, or epoxy putty.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You need mint condition original parts; serious collectors are not looking for fake or reproduced parts.

Oh sorry, I forgot the "anal moron premium" in that figure.

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.......but your duck cost 3 times more than the other duck. Whatever floats yer boat... I don't get people like that. Never have. Never will.

*edit* I second the comment about the bumper caps being impossible to find. The best part is the ones I have seem to be completely unique. They have the red trim *WITH* a 'W' Williams style logo on the top also. Every other set I've seen are white on top.

#14 11 years ago

Same as cars.

You have one 67 fastback Stang with hidden bondo, doors/deck cut out for speakers, non factory paint - looks great.

You have another with factory paint, original exhaust, matching serials on engine and trans - looks great.

One is $18k, the other is 70k.

Both look good and will get you to work on time - but only one is a true collector car.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Are you saying that a machine with more original parts is of more value to some collectors than a machine with replacement/after market ramps and parts?

#16 11 years ago

Like I said, I won't ever get it...no point to argue about it. I just think it's ridiculous when it comes to pinball. But I liked Bally Supersonic and Future Spa.....what do I know.

Someone NEEDS to repro those stupid pop caps. I don't get why they haven't been already. Plenty of other hot-stamped caps getting made....

#17 11 years ago

Here are few pictures.

2012-10-01_17.00.42.jpg2012-10-01_17.00.42.jpg 2012-10-01_17.01.00.jpg2012-10-01_17.01.00.jpg 2012-10-01_17.01.18.jpg2012-10-01_17.01.18.jpg

#18 11 years ago

few more

2012-10-01_17.01.28.jpg2012-10-01_17.01.28.jpg 2012-10-01_17.01.46.jpg2012-10-01_17.01.46.jpg 2012-10-01_17.02.43.jpg2012-10-01_17.02.43.jpg

#19 11 years ago

sweet deal for $100 bones

#20 11 years ago

Another 3

2012-10-01_17.03.06.jpg2012-10-01_17.03.06.jpg 2012-10-01_17.03.52.jpg2012-10-01_17.03.52.jpg 2012-10-01_17.05.09.jpg2012-10-01_17.05.09.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Last but not least. I thought hey this is a weird looking wire, then I noticed that it had been burnt from the board. Looks pretty toasty eh?

2012-10-01_17.09.05.jpg2012-10-01_17.09.05.jpg

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Someone NEEDS to repro those stupid pop caps. I don't get why they haven't been already.

Because before CPR did the repo this year, most Shuttle playfields were wasted and not able to be restored.

Now that playfields are available, ramps and shuttle toys are also available. Backglasses are coming next year.

#23 11 years ago

yeah they all look the same, wear in the middle. i found one 3 years ago in a worst shape and now it looks amazing.

heres what i've done to mine and thats no cpr playfield at the time nobody new that cpr was gonna do one, so i used the overlay from ed chung (same guy who did the one for cpr).
i also rebuild the shuttle toy (fixed, painted, new decals and cleared).
working on another one, but this time with a cpr.

so anything is possible.
i'm sure with the cpr playfield yours gonna look even better.

Space_Shuttle_(before_after).jpgSpace_Shuttle_(before_after).jpg

#24 11 years ago

That overlay looks great!

Excellent work.

#25 11 years ago

Indeed, it looks awesome man, and for probably a heck of a lot less hassle than drilling out a repro playfield and a lot less cost.

#26 11 years ago

well thank, overlay was great, not an easy job and i also cleared the overlay. came out great you couldn't tell.
i tried to get a shuttle toy at the time but damn it was $125 for a decent one (from ed chung), so i rebuilt the shuttle myself, plastic paint, new decals and cleared on top of everything, look better then the original and cost me about $25. (also had truster with leds in the back)

but now futurepinhead is in luck with the new cpr, ramp and shuttle toy.

can't wait to see his project coming along.

#27 11 years ago

I have one slingshot plastic that needs to be replaced (left) if anyone else has one please pm me. the warped ones I am going to try the oven method.

#28 11 years ago

I have one slingshot plastic that needs to be replaced (left) if anyone else has one please pm me. the warped ones I am going to try the oven method.

let me check that out, i think i have a brand new one.

#29 11 years ago

Update, I have a bad ROM so I have to wait until that part comes in to find what is causing the display to go down.

As for the playfield....
On ebay they are selling a NOS one for $500. It is not cleared but this game will only get 5-10 plays a week and it would be nice to have an original. Or I could get a reproduction for $600 cleared for a lifetime of playing it but I run the risk of having to redo the dimples that might have to be moved.

2 weeks later
#30 11 years ago

It lives again, now time for a playfield swap.

#31 11 years ago

For the record, SO FAR on my playfield swap, the dimpling hasn't been too bad. I've basically got the top half of the playfield done on the underside.

#32 11 years ago

On ebay they are selling a NOS one for $500. It is not cleared but this game will only get 5-10 plays a week and it would be nice to have an original.

The one on Ebay is a "second".

Look how badly the registration is up at the top around the USA lanes.

Not worth $500 IMO.

#33 11 years ago

A very worthy title for a restoration. Definitely a top ten game for me as well as a very histoically significant game.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

A very worthy title for a restoration. Definitely a top ten game for me as well as a very histoically significant game.

I bought a rough one that won't boot up and am having second thoughts as I am not short of things to take up my time. Need a project down there? Might consider parting it as the cabinet is rough.

#35 11 years ago

I passed on the NOS one, I got her down to 450 but because of it being a second I offered her 300 and never got a response. She has had it on sale since August at the same price. She'll learn.

I am wondering, does Marco or PinballLife have firsts or seconds?

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I bought a rough one that won't boot up and am having second thoughts as I am not short of things to take up my time. Need a project down there? Might consider parting it as the cabinet is rough.

Thanks for the offer, Russ. I'm not a project guy but I really do appreciate the offer.

#38 11 years ago

I've been restoring my first one. I'm using the heat gun method. I have a cookie sheet with a newspaper laying on it. I lay down the plastic. I go over it with the heat gun until it raises slightly before falling flat (which is scary indeed). Then I stack about 10 world books on it. It might be overkill, but it works wonders.

7 months later
#39 10 years ago

7 months later and I am just now starting this project. I just moved in to a much larger place and I have a two car garage in it where I will have the room I need and be able to keep the cat from running away with parts. So far I have ordered rubbers, lights, balls, plunger, drop target decals, and a ramp. I am taking a complete inventory of what I need before my massive Marco purchase. Are the drop targets available anywhere? Mine are a little faded. I guess I could paint them with plastic paint as the plastic isn't the piece that gets hit...

#40 10 years ago

I'm in the process of getting a space shuttle back to nice condition as well! Someone has a drop target bank on eBay for sale right now if that's what your looking for. I look on eBay all the time for space shuttle parts and I've never seen that whole assembly for sale yet. Just search for Williams space shuttle and its all the way at the bottom. Good luck with your pin!

#41 10 years ago

Yeah I saw that one there too. I think I will just be painting mine to get rid of the faded color. Sunday, I think I will go through my manual that way I can get the part numbers for the leaf switches and other parts that it would just be a good idea to put new in.

#42 10 years ago

Awesome! Should be a great project! I'm working on (or was working on) a Space Shuttle as well.

#43 10 years ago

Glad I found this thread, I've had my SS for about 2 months and love the game. It's in really good shape with good PF and BG but one of my PF plastics is broken, the big curved one under the Shuttle, to the right on the back of the ramp. Does anyone have one for sale. Thanks. Here are a couple of pics. of my Shuttle.

IMGA0337.JPGIMGA0337.JPG IMGA0333.JPGIMGA0333.JPG IMGA0338.JPGIMGA0338.JPG

#44 10 years ago

Yeah, I'll give you mine for free if you give me your broken one. I bought a whole new plastic set. I want to turn my old one into a populated wall art. All of mine are a little warped but only one slingshot plastic broken. PM me for details.

That goes for anybody as well, any plastics that I don't need I will give out. I just want your broken ones.

#45 10 years ago

I love having my SoF, Jared. But hearing that you got a project Space Shuttle for $100 makes me jealous! lol

#46 10 years ago

Haha, thanks Travis. I was talking to a guy yesterday and he said SOF is one of the most underrated pins, so congrats. Stop by any time to work on my Space Shuttle for free.

And it wasn't just for $100. I've already ordered about $1100 in parts haha.

#47 10 years ago

And it wasn't just for $100. I've already ordered about $1100 in parts haha.

Huh. That sounds exactly like my $50 Swords of Fury lol

#48 10 years ago

Here goes nothing...

20130606_212717.jpg20130606_212717.jpg 20130606_212733.jpg20130606_212733.jpg

#49 10 years ago

My slingshot plastics are a lighter blue...anyone else run into this?

20130606_212835.jpg20130606_212835.jpg

#50 10 years ago

I think mine were similar until I took off the plastic protective film.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-latest-pin-is-an-out-of-this-world-project-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.