(Topic ID: 51106)

My Kind of Unboxing: A $200 Genie

By fireball2

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dtb2.jpg
    dt1.jpg
    ballseye.jpg
    missingflip.jpg
    playfieldtopbefore.jpg
    cabinetleft.jpg
    geniebb2.jpg
    boxes1.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Was able to get a wishlist machine last weekend: Genie. (Fortunately the wife and boy are very patient with my obsession: it was Mothers' Day and his birthday both last Sunday when I drove 100 miles round trip to get her.)

The machine is fairly beauty, there's no flaking on the bg (it is faded--see pics--but still looks groovy, and the guy has a NOS one waiting for me in his garage when I get her playing sweet), the playfield is great except for the ball orbit at the top where it enters the game, and the cabinet colors are still vibrant (albeit with a few smallish scratches here and there).

The catch is that a whole lot of her is in pieces. The backbox was empty. He gave me an mpu board in a bag, plus a sound board and two power supply boards + all the connectors. I got two sets of plastics in bags. One set had a few heat warped ones, but only one broken one. The other set was just dirty. Sweet after some novus2. No rubbers, no fuses no feet. The 7 target bank was missing. He gave me two in a box. I made one good one. One of the lower flippers was missing. He gave me two mechs, plus assorted bats and parts. He gave me three extra pop bumper bodies, even though the ones in the game look pretty ok. I got an extra set of used playfield inserts and wire ball guides. He gave me a spare wiring harness for crying out loud.

The guy was great. Old school (in it since '74 I think), knows Steve at PBR personally. Bought the last NOS Genie playfield of him. He'll sell me too that if I want it down the line. Garage fulla machines. Shut me down on trying to buy his Space Shuttle. haha. Can't wait to head back up there to talk pinball some more.

Enough talk...here are some pics:

boxes1.jpgboxes1.jpg geniebb2.jpggeniebb2.jpg cabinetleft.jpgcabinetleft.jpg playfieldtopbefore.jpgplayfieldtopbefore.jpg missingflip.jpgmissingflip.jpg ballseye.jpgballseye.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Great pin, nice find.

I need to add one of these to the collection some day. There's a few minty ones on the market now, but they're priced accordingly.

#3 10 years ago

"Some assembly required!" Looks like a fun project. Enjoy!

#4 10 years ago

Awesome. Love the art!

#5 10 years ago

One of my favorite games ever! Congrats~SpOoKy

#6 10 years ago

Beautiful machine! Congrats

#7 10 years ago

Nice Looking Machine!

#8 10 years ago

Awesome score! It looks great. Get yourself a Pascal board while you're putting it all together, and really make her sing. It's worth every penny IMHO.

I put color changing LEDs in the backglass where the Genie smoke is rising up. Subtle effect, but really cool.

#9 10 years ago

I was going to drive from AZ for this but by the time I saw the ad it was gone. Good find!

#10 10 years ago

The funny backstory here is that fireball2's wife contacted me a couple of years ago to find a Genie for his birthday. I scoured CL and even posted a WTB thread on Pinside. I've been on several trips with him to bring home a new machine. Well, 10 pins later, he scores a Genie. I'm happy for him.

His wife still gives me those funny looks for being an enabler (at least I think she is kidding with me).

#11 10 years ago

Gordon Morison - that guy knows how to draw good looking broads!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Gordon Morison - that guy knew how to draw good looking broads!

All the chicks on his backglasses were drawn from his girlfriends.

#13 10 years ago

One of my favorite solid state games. I just moved mine yesterday. My advice is to put a PI1 or PI1x4 in the game. It becomes a much better game.

#14 10 years ago

I like the color changing led idea a lot... The guy I bought it from has a ni-wumph board he said he'd sell me if'n I wanted it for like 75-100 dollah. I have read many great things about the pascal boards. I'ma gonna see what I can do with the board I got first, but... i am sorely tempted... soon grasshopper.

I installed the 7-target bank, and at the same time realized that there was no reset coil for the 4-target one. I stole one of the coils from the spare 7-target I got--i know it's not the exact one, but I think it'll work fine; I tested it and it reset the bank just fine--and installed it.

I installed the missing flipper and adjusted it.

I discovered 4 broken diodes on one of the switch diode boards. Fixed. Thanks Radio Shack.

I am this close...

More pics tomorrow.

#15 10 years ago

Just checked out the Pascal version of Genie on YouTube. Very cool. Looks like a must-have for Genie owners.

#16 10 years ago

I highly recommend the Pascal PI1x4 board for you Genie. It adds a TON of new features, and runs rock solid. It's 'all in one' - so this one board replaces the power rectifier, driver board and MPU.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

I highly recommend the Pascal PI1x4 board for you Genie. It adds a TON of new features, and runs rock solid. It's 'all in one' - so this one board replaces the power rectifier, driver board and MPU.

+1000

#18 10 years ago

Regarding the Pascal PI1x4 board - it adds a TON of new features (or you can stay with stock). There's a new new skill shot, you can get more than one extra ball, there's a really cool attract mode between games, it handles millions scoring, there's a ball saver feature (shot again light flashes for about 5 seconds), animated messages for some game events, ability to customize bonus scoring (including increasing the max bonus per ball from 29 thousand to 39 thousand), special and extra ball playfield lights flash, ability to save 5 high scores with player names or initials, credits for 2nd to 5th high scores, tilt warning ('DANGER' flashes in all displays after 1st tilt), customize some rules, power saving modes, etc.....

If you're interested, here's the thread for my Genie repair: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tonight-i-picked-up-a-sexy-but-dirty-genie

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

^Double jackpot. It really does bring these system 1 games into a whole new level. Not enough good things can be said about it. Combine classic playfield art and design with modern software and you get an unstoppable table.

#20 10 years ago

i'm in the process of restoring a Genie playfield. I see your top lanes section is worn. if you need scans of that area, i'll have them.

#21 10 years ago

I agree. Get the aftermarket CPU from Pascal. I'll throw the Ni-Wumpf on Mr. Pinball Classifieds.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Regarding the Pascal PI1x4 board

SunKing listed a lot of the benefits of the Pascal PI1x4 PCB

Also on the technical end, all components are off the shelf and available. Coil driving circuits are monitored for current. If excessive current is detected power is cut off to avoid destroying coils. Diagnostics are light years above the stock Gottlieb CPU PCB. If you do need some TS help, Pascal is always willing to help.

The only issue I ever had was ULN 2803 chips that a couple of channels failed. But it was due to me because when I was restoring my Joker Poker, I a few lamp circuits had intermittent shorts. But I did find out that each lamp driver uses 2 channels in parallel for increased drive to the output transistors. And since they were socketed, replacement was a breeze....

I've also bought the PI-1, PI-FX, PI-FX/1 and the PI-FX/X4. All work flawlessly.
    I'd get the PI-80 X4 as well but Pascal has not written code for Volcano yet.

#23 10 years ago

OK... I am saving for the pascal board. You guys have convinced me.
    SunKing, I already done read your thread a couple days ago. That thing looks so beauty!
    I have her back together and she turns on with displays showing all zeros, but that's it so far. Looking soooo good though.
    Any help on the boot issue would be appreciated too.

I'll post some more pics later in the week.
    So stoked.

dt1.jpgdt1.jpg dtb2.jpgdtb2.jpg

#24 10 years ago

Spend the cash on new drops from pinball resource in Poughkeepsie NY....

Genie is an awesome game

make her new

#25 10 years ago

Congrats, man! Looks sweet! Nice to see a System 1 getting some love.

3 weeks later
    #26 10 years ago

Update (finally!). After searching for days and days, I finally found the coin door short that was shorting coil voltage to my switch matrix, and blowing chips on my board. I went through two rounds of replacing switch matrix chips on the original board... and then I bought a new pascal board (just the cpu one -- all my other boards tested fine), and I didn't want to blow it up. So i had to find the short. Took FOREVER. Then there was a broken wire on a slam switch that was a nightmare to find... Then every single rollover needed cleaning and adjusting...

BUT... One month after I unboxed her, she plays better than new I believe.

That pascal board rules! I don't need to tell you guys how much it adds to the game. I LUV the second chance ball on a game like this. I replaced the bottom flipper coils with superflipper coils, replaced the coil in the bottom pop with the same one they use in the top ones (why do they put in a weaker one stock?), and replaced the coils in the upper flippers (no extra strength there, just new). Soldered the lamp sockets on the stupid metal plate thing for the bonus lites to make them all reliable again (still gotta do that on my Meteor one of theses days), but I still have two sockets that were too far gone and need to be replaced. Other than that, she's almost perfect.

Waxed her up (my 14 year old boy: "So, you waxed her boobs?"), jacked up the legs in back, set her for extra ball instead of free game, and OMG... it is such a beautiful thing. Fast, fun, and luv looking at up that Genie.

I'll try to post pics and a quick video tomorrow.

My only wish is that they used that snake charmer music somewhere in the game and not just in attract mode.

#27 10 years ago

Congrats!!! Genie is a fun, and beautiful game.

#28 10 years ago

Nice job, Mark! Can't wait to play her!!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-kind-of-unboxing-a-200-genie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.