(Topic ID: 34374)

My Ignorance?: Why is Attack from Mars so popular?

By Chitownpinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JJHLH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

Honestly, I dont get the appeal of this pin. Is it the theme? It cant be the playfield, its barren as hell! I was bored playing it at the PHOF a few months ago and couldnt wait to move on. I would never pay for this pin to be in my collection. Dont get it. What am I missing?

#2 11 years ago

I have wondered the same thing, and I love it. For me it is the humor. And attacking the space ship, of course. Shallow but endlessly entertaining. Much like me, I guess

#3 11 years ago

Isnt attacking the space ship a lot like pinbot though?

#4 11 years ago

It's just silly fun.

Wide open fan playfield, easy to understand goals, ears of corn bursting out from the insides of space aliens.

What's not to like?

#5 11 years ago

I like AFM more than MM, but I think the saucer shots are the reason I come back to it.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I like AFM more than MM, but I think the saucer shots are the reason I come back to it.

I compare the shots of these 2 machines. I like the theme of MM better, and the playfield as well. Its an up the middle extravaganza either way.

#7 11 years ago

Great theme/music integration. Very funny...with a good vibe...it doesnt take itself seriously. Simple, elegant rule set that relates nicely with the theme/music/comedy. Fun DMD graphics. It just has alot of important things for a good pinball machine in abundance. That said....less is more. It's very straight forward and not "too much" of anything.

#8 11 years ago

I have never played AFM, but I want to now that I own RFM. From what little Youtube video-watching experience I have, they play similar with that open fan layout. I think RFM is hilarious, and everyone that comes over to the house loves it and wants to play it to keep hearing what it says. That said, I don't think I could ever personally justify paying the current AFM prices for either machine.

#9 11 years ago

It's plain ol' fun for me. A bunch of inept, bumbling "B" movie aliens (each with 4 jiggly arms) trying to take over the Earth. That's an awesome theme that works for me. Plus, with high powered flippers, the long shots and open playfield make for insane airball filled multiball goodness.

The goals and wizard mode are attainable for mere mortals as well, so you never know when you might step up and string some shots together and have an awesome game and Rule the Universe.

The art looks great to me as well. The reds, yellows, and greens of the cabinet stand out in my line-up.

#10 11 years ago

I'm sure if i had it at home i'd find what the secret is.. playing on location I don't get it either.

#11 11 years ago

We are not living in North Korea, you are allowed to have your own opinion

You have played it and you did not like it, this is fine

I do not see what is great about a few top 20 games, so my money goes on games I do like

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

We are not living in North Korea, you are allowed to have your own opinion

You have played it and you did not like it, this is fine

I do not see what is great about a few top 20 games, so my money goes on games I do like

This!!! For all games : )

#13 11 years ago

What Vid said plus its one of those games were you always feel like your kicking its ass until you need to get the last goal and then you get humbled. It is important to set it up hard Or extra hard.

#14 11 years ago

Easy to understand rules, very funny, bash the UFO, high scoring that is amusing to me (isn't the default replay 4 billion?), just a fun game overall. Oh, and the version I played had a color DMD. (Stangbat, you rock!)

#15 11 years ago

Because people love to think wpc95s are the end all.

It's a fun game, very fast, and blowing up ships and shooting jumpings martians is fun. There isn't a lot of depth, but enough to keep your interest.

#16 11 years ago

No idea.. its got less going for it than any stern pro model

#17 11 years ago

Is it worth what it sells for? To some it clearly is as they do sell, but I'm no price judge.

Strictly on gameplay, it is pretty dang fun! Easy rules, still tough to accomplish everything and fun shots as well.

#18 11 years ago

One of the most overrated pins around....Don't get it either....Fanboys keep it up there I guess....

#19 11 years ago

I had AFM for about 4 years awhile back when they were in the middle 3s. It is very fun and what everyone above said. I let it go for what I paid for it. If only I had known. Just got a Revenge From Mars and the game play is about the same. Actually more fun to me to blow up more and different things. AFM on the virtual pinball stuff plays to me very close to the real AFM. The combined Attack Revenge from mars virtual one is fun as well.

#20 11 years ago

There is no correlation between price value and play value in wpc95s.

Quoted from jrivelli:

Is it worth what it sells for? To some it clearly is as they do sell, but I'm no price judge.

#21 11 years ago

To me it just clicks as far as humor and easy to understand goals. SM is the same where the toys aren't super complex but the layout, humor, flow, & Rules make it a hit. Ya it's probably over priced but its still fun as hell.

#22 11 years ago

Fantastic theme and humor when combined with good flow and simple/intuitive rules = great fun. That pin is pure entertainment. I will never pay the going rate due to the poor aesthetic appeal of the machine(IMO), but also because I can play it on location. I am happy to continue to dump lots of tokens into it, however.

#23 11 years ago

the layout is smooth and perfect, making the gameplay a must.
all the modes blend in perfectly, and it looks like and easy game, but it is hard as hell to get to the end.
the theme is very funny as well, with some cool sounds and animations.
MM has the same recipe.

#24 11 years ago

It's a fun game. I sold all my WPC-95s except for SS and MB. That includes MM, AFM and SC. Of those 3, I sometimes miss SC.

AFM and MM, I could probably drive an hour in more than one direction and play both. But, they were worth more than they were worth to me.

I enjoy games like WCS, Flinstones, Rollergames, etc just as much, if not more.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I enjoy games like WCS, Flinstones, Rollergames, etc just as much, if not more.

I agree. When people ask me if I think my AFM and CV are worth the money, I say no, they are no more fun than my DW, JD, LAH, just to name a few (depending on the day of course )

#26 11 years ago

On another note, you really shouldn’t look at machines value as a reason for not buying. Almost all ss machines keep their value, and go up. As such, if you were going to buy one and have a range, does it really matter if it’s $1,000 or $5,000 so long as you can get it back if you wanted to sell?

#27 11 years ago

It's simple for a novice to approach and enjoy (destroying saucers), but stays challenging for experts (ruling the universe). Combine that with an attractive and entertaining theme package and you have a hit.

I used to rag on this game for being simple and empty, but in the last couple years I got more into it. I wish I would have come around before the price jumped out of my range.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

On another note, you really shouldn’t look at machines value as a reason for not buying. Almost all ss machines keep their value, and go up. As such, if you were going to buy one and have a range, does it really matter if it’s $1,000 or $5,000 so long as you can get it back if you wanted to sell?

That's exactly the philosophy that I go by when I purchase pins.

If you get a decent deal on a pin like AFM, even though they are a lot of money, you can still be sure that you will not lose much money on it when you sell if you decide you don't care for it.

Quoted from Benepinballs:

Is that why you rated it a 2.5?

And you rated MB at 1.0.

Credibility? Zero.

#29 11 years ago

It has some of the best multiballs in pinball, the theme is downright awesome, the flow is unmatched, the sounds/music/speech are great, the art is amazing, the combo shots are fast and addictive to try to rack up, and getting to Rule the Universe is a real accomplishment. It's a special game, and a perfect example that you don't need crazy toys or complicated modes to have a stellar pinball experience.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's exactly the philosophy that I go by when I purchase pins.
If you get a decent deal on a pin like AFM, even though they are a lot of money, you can still be sure that you will not lose much money on it when you sell if you decide you don't care for it.

And you rated MB at 1.0.
Credibility? Zero.

I couldn't even rate the worst pin I ever played a 1.0

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Exactly.

And if Benepinballs was honest, neither could he. Look at his ratings. They are a joke. He is the kind of rater that should not be allowed to rate pins since he is clearly just trying to manipulate the overall rankings of the pins. His ratings almost all seem to be either extremely low or a perfect 10.

#32 11 years ago

Great playability, funny theme. What's not to like ? It's one of the all-time greats, and I don't think anyone's ever alleged that it's done so based off of artwork or complex design.

Some Stern monstrosity where the playfield is littered with action figures and other garbage does not automatically make for a good game. Most enthusiasts realize this, I wish Stern would.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Honestly, I dont get the appeal of this pin. Is it the theme? It cant be the playfield, its barren as hell! I was bored playing it at the PHOF a few months ago and couldnt wait to move on. I would never pay for this pin to be in my collection. Dont get it. What am I missing?

I don't get it either. I had one and found it really boring within a week or so...which is weird for me, since I usually keep games for 300-500 plays before I sell them. However, I'm glad it's so popular because I was able to sell it and roll that into a Tron LE.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Totally agree. I've never rated a pin lower than a 5 I think going back looking at games I've rated here and IPDB

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And you rated MB at 1.0.

Credibility? Zero.

haha AFM and MM 2-3

JY 10...

ok....

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

haha AFM and MM 2-3

JY 10...

ok....

There are times when opinions are just plain wrong.

#37 11 years ago

It's a good pin that's super fast with a great, humorous art package. Pretty much everything that a pinball should be.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Great theme/music integration. Very funny...with a good vibe...it doesnt take itself seriously. Simple, elegant rule set that relates nicely with the theme/music/comedy. Fun DMD graphics. It just has alot of important things for a good pinball machine in abundance. That said....less is more. It's very straight forward and not "too much" of anything.

+1

I like AFM over MM...I like the theme of MM...but I prefer game play on AFM for the above reasons...

Phoebe

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't get it either. I had one and found it really boring within a week or so...which is weird for me, since I usually keep games for 300-500 plays before I sell them. However, I'm glad it's so popular because I was able to sell it and roll that into a TRON LE.

Strange, I'm the exact opposite. I have bought both a Tron and an AFM within the past couple of months and I've probably played AFM 5x as much as Tron. In fact I'm a bit baffled by the Tron love in general. I want to like it more, but shooting Quorra endlessly gets old fast for me.

#40 11 years ago

I wouldn't judge any pin after a few games at the PHOF. You have to play the right AFM to "get it". Take "Metallik's" AFM that he usually brings to Expo (not this past year though). I doubt anyone would call that AFM "boring". Setting AFM at 6.5 degrees is a sin.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

+1

I like AFM over MM...I like the theme of MM...but I prefer game play on AFM for the above reasons...

Phoebe

I'm a bigger fan of AFM than MM. Both are great games, but I like AFM's flow and speed better.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Strange, I'm the exact opposite. I have bought both a Tron and an AFM within the past couple of months and I've probably played AFM 5x as much as Tron. In fact I'm a bit baffled by the Tron love in general. I want to like it more, but shooting Quorra endlessly gets old fast for me.

It's probably because I've realized I can shoot other things besides Quorra.

#43 11 years ago

It is fun in the simple kind of way and everything is integrated well. TSPP or LOTR it is not, which is fine since I rarely want to play those super deep games. I still don't know why it is fetching so much but there are those willing to pay so... Anyway, you don't like it, no worries.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

Really?

IM: (2 ramps - Iron Monger Pop Up Toy)
Whiplash, Iron Monger & War Machine Multiballs & the improbable Do or Die multiball.
Super Pops
Fast scoring mode.
Bogey Scoring
A Do or Die hurry up shot.
Jericho Missile Mayhem wizard mode.

or...

IJ4 (1 ramp - Ark Toy)
Ark and Temple of Doom Multiballs
Last Crusade mode
Hurry-Ups
Indy Jones Scoring
Double Scoring
Final Adventure Wizard Mode

or...

Tron: (2 ramps - Spinning Disc Toy)
Quorra, Disc and Lightcyle Multiballs
Clu and Gem Modes
Zeus Fast Scoring
Super Skill Shot
Super Pops
Combos
Sea of Simulation Mode (If needed)
Portal Wizard Mode

or...

Link, Amp Suit, Na'vi Multiballs
Banshee Mode
Shot Multipliers
Fast Scoring
6 Character Shots To Collect
Final Battle Wizard Mode

or...

TDK (1 ramp - Joker Can & Teeter Totter (Worst toys in a modern pin))
Joker, Scarecrow, Batpod & Bat Signal Multiballs
5 Identitical Bat Missions
Bat Signal Mode
Earnable Extra Ball
Super Skill Shot
Shot Multipliers
Hurry-Ups
Gotham City Multiball Wizard Mode

Compared to...

AFM: (3 ramps - Shaking Mother Ship Saucer Toy)
Total Annihiliation, 3 lock multiball, Strobe Multiball and Martian Multiball.
Video mode and secret cow version video mode.
Super skill shot.
Super Jets
6 individual cities & Mars to defeat.
Martian attack mode
Combos
Hurry-Ups
Earnable Extra Balls
Rule The Universe Wizard Mode

#45 11 years ago

I had a discussion about fun, or the lack of it, on modern day pins. Interestingly enough someone mentioned you don't need big toys to make a game fun: three letters: A F M. He got a point. The objective is easy to understand even for first time players. Great humor, the game isn't too serious, great flow, nice shots to make, what's not to like about it. I sold mine years ago. I don't miss it, but I still enjoy playing it on location every now and then.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
And if Benepinballs was honest, neither could he. Look at his ratings. They are a joke. He is the kind of rater that should not be allowed to rate pins since he is clearly just trying to manipulate the overall rankings of the pins. His ratings almost all seem to be either extremely low or a perfect 10.

His ratings and most of his comments are a joke.

#47 11 years ago

<blockquote Just got a Revenge From Mars and the game play is about the same. Actually more fun to me to blow up more and different things.

Really?! I had a chance to add rfm next to my afm and after playing for a half hour, I passed. The concept is cool, but gameplay seems nothing like afm to me. Just a few short shots, not the speed of afm or flow at all

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

His ratings and most of his comments are a joke.

I am surprised he didn't rate IJ4 a 10. I remember back on RGP when everyone panned IJ4, he tried to tell everyone that IJ4 was great and it paid for itself in 3 months. A few people looked at his hours and what he charged per play. Not even factoring in replays or matches, there weren't enough hours in the day, even if it was being played constantly from open to close everyday for 3 months, for that statement to be true.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Really?! I had a chance to add rfm next to my afm and after playing for a half hour, I passed. The concept is cool, but gameplay seems nothing like afm to me. Just a few short shots, not the speed of afm or flow at all

I owned an RFM. It was a lot of fun, but nowhere near as great as AFM in regards to rules and shots. Still, I'd probably own it again if I found a good deal to put next to AFM.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Escapes me too...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-ignorance-why-is-attack-from-mars-so-popular?hl=mikedenton49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.