(Topic ID: 34374)

My Ignorance?: Why is Attack from Mars so popular?

By Chitownpinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JJHLH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Really?
IM: (2 ramps - Iron Monger Pop Up Toy)
Whiplash, Iron Monger & War Machine Multiballs & near impossible Jericho multiball.
Super Pops
Fast scoring mode.
Bogey Scoring
A Do or Die hurry up shot.
Jericho Missile Mayhem wizard mode.

IM is actually:

IM: (2 ramps - Iron Monger Pop Up Toy)
Whiplash, Iron Monger, and War Machine Multiballs. near impossible Do or Die multiball.
Super Pops
Fast scoring mode.
Double Scoring mode
Iron Man scoring mode
Bogey Scoring
A Do or Die hurry up mini wizard.
Jericho Missile Mayhem wizard mode.
Do or Die multiball super wizard mode

#52 11 years ago

I did already count Do or Die Multiball, I just called it Jericho by mistake. You corrected that and counted it twice. Fast scoring, double scoring and Iron Man scoring are all progressive versions of each other started by the Iron Man stand ups. I wouldn't really count those as 3 separate things. Even those considered, IM still has much less going on then AFM which was the original point.

#53 11 years ago

It's simple.

Martians trump Zombies.

LTG : )

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Honestly, I dont get the appeal of this pin. Is it the theme? It cant be the playfield, its barren as hell! I was bored playing it at the PHOF a few months ago and couldnt wait to move on. I would never pay for this pin to be in my collection. Dont get it. What am I missing?

So you don't like it. I do.
I just have to assume that you ruled the universe three times in the one game you played to find it that boring.
I think AC/DC is a crappy game. However, that is probably due to the fact that I'm crappy at playing it.

#55 11 years ago

AFM is an older slower geriatric IM for noobs...lol

#56 11 years ago

The ratings influence this as well. Some of it's popularity is because it's rated high. "Hey, it must be good, look how highly it's rated." I wasn't playing pinball when it came out, so I've only played a few games on it recently, and haven't played enough to really get a great feeling for it. I've enjoyed the games I've played on it, but to ME it's not worth what it's going for.

#57 11 years ago

When i first played this pin i hated it. Now its in my collection and i play it more than IJ, TOTAN and TZ. Go figure.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Strange, I'm the exact opposite. I have bought both a Tron and an AFM within the past couple of months and I've probably played AFM 5x as much as Tron. In fact I'm a bit baffled by the Tron love in general. I want to like it more, but shooting Quorra endlessly gets old fast for me.

My thoughts exactly. Great looking n sounding pin but with the current code it seems that your shooting for that shot 80% of the time. Hopefully Lyman kills it with the update.

#59 11 years ago

Different strokes for different folks. I played AFM and it is a game I enjoy playing in someone else's collection and not my own. For the kind of money it commands there are many other games I will enjoy owning more for less but that is just my opinion.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from chas010:

AFM is an older slower geriatric IM for noobs...lol

Having both games, a properly waxed and restored afm is definitely faster than a properly waxed as set up nib ironman. This is probably due to more shots returning to the flippers faster. And the afm slingshots are the fastest in pinball - faster than acdc. At least if the game is proper restored. That stuff will slow down as it ages.

#61 11 years ago

I had both AFM and RFM, RFM stays as they are basicaly the same game but RFM is better to play and looks cool!

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Having both games, a properly waxed and restored afm is definitely faster than a properly waxed as set up nib ironman. This is probably due to more shots returning to the flippers faster. And the afm slingshots are the fastest in pinball - faster than acdc. At least if the game is proper restored. That stuff will slow down as it ages.

Sry Mark just stirring the pot

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I had both AFM and RFM, RFM stays as they are basicaly the same game but RFM is better to play and looks cool!

I have RFM currently, just recently got it so I'm in the so-called "honeymoon phase" and I'm curious as to how RFM is "better to play"?

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

That's definitely a dissenting opinion. Both that RFM is better and that they are basically the same game.

#65 11 years ago

AFM is the game I played on location in 2000 that got me into pinball (second game was RFM 6 months later and I love it too but I do like AFM more). The art style is timeless. The speed of the game is great. There are lots of goals both for the rookie and the pro. Likewise it's fun for the newbie and experienced player.

Regarding some of the discussions on price, I was lucky to grab the one I have before the cost was higher than a new Stern. Everyone has thresholds and limits. For me, it's hard to justify paying more for a used game (plus maintenance and re-shopping) than a new one. MM was well over $5k when I got into the hobby and while I love the game I'll go for a new Stern (or two!) instead of a MM (or CV, TOTAN, etc). I'm not saying new games are better (I really like some recent Sterns) but it's something I consider.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

<blockquote Just got a Revenge From Mars and the game play is about the same. Actually more fun to me to blow up more and different things.
Really?! I had a chance to add rfm next to my afm and after playing for a half hour, I passed. The concept is cool, but gameplay seems nothing like afm to me. Just a few short shots, not the speed of afm or flow at all

I you had an AFM, why on earth would you want a different pin to play just like it?

#fanlayoutdementia

#67 11 years ago

Used to play it every week in the pin-golf tourny I played in. Fun enough game, but I'm completely lost as to how it commands the money it does.

#68 11 years ago

Well, that's just it. In my opiniin, RFM is far from "just like" AFM. I remembered loving RFM in the arcades before I considered myself a pinhead, but it gets old fast for me now. My thinking was that it would compliment afm in a collection because, while the themes are similar, the gameplay is totally different.

#69 11 years ago

I've had a couple of AFM's over the years, just didn't have the staying power for me, and when I got the chance to trade it for a couple of other WPC, it was a no-brainer. It's appeal is very similar to MM, simple and straight forward, yet deep enough to keep experienced players happy.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Some of it's popularity is because it's rated high. "Hey, it must be good, look how highly it's rated." I wasn't playing pinball when it came out, so I've only played a few games on it recently, and haven't played enough to really get a great feeling for it. I've enjoyed the games I've played on it, but to ME it's not worth what it's going for.

Amen!! so many more games out there that are more entertaining to play.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

Amen!! so many more games out there that are more entertaining to play.

I could start a thread on every single pin that is listed in the Top 10 ranked pins here at Pinside, and you will always have a group of people that will say the exact same thing about every one of them.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Wait...what? How can anybody claim that they're "basically the same game?"

That boggles the mind.

#74 11 years ago

Supply and Demand. Higher income collectors come into the hobby and want this pin added to there collection. Low production numbers drive up price.

Game is simple to understand and fast. Great humor and good layout.

This pin hits close to home. I traded a very nice TZ and $800 for a very nice AFM back in 2002. I enjoyed it but truly missed TZ after the honeymoon was over. It stayed with me for a few years and I eventually sold it when they were around $3500-$4000. What really upsets me is just a year or so later, the price has went over double that price! Haha should have held on just a little longer.

Do I miss it... no

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

I want to like it more, but shooting Quorra endlessly gets old fast for me.

Giggity

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Wait...what? How can anybody claim that they're "basically the same game?"
That boggles the mind.

Well, they have Martians. So...

#77 11 years ago

Destroying Martians is fun. Good humor. DMD is awesome and even better with Colordmd. Strobe Multiball is spectacular.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

What really upsets me is just a year or so later, the price has went over double that price! Haha should have held on just a little longer.

What hasn't doubled though? Look at what WH20, TS, DM's and DW's go for now considering a couple years back.

I believe the higher end machines will plateau out soon, still increase, but not compared to all the good but previously considered low cost wpc's. Hard to find any under $2,000 now, soon that will be said for $3,000 given the market boom.

uh oh, now we're into another bubble thread - quickly close!!

#79 11 years ago

I just love the Strobe Multiball, Great Humor, also love the theme.
I had that and MM, they ended up to much a like, and had more fun with AFM.
Sold MM.

#80 11 years ago

I believe the price is mostly just a factor supply and demand.

AFM production is pretty low - 4,200.
Compare that to other popular pins:
TAF - 20,228.

So ~4.8 more TAFs than AFMs exist. So if a TAF is worth $4K worth of fun, it isn't unreasonable to believe that AFM could be worth ~$20K.

Notice that AFM would be higher in price in this scenario. I think more people like TAF than AFM, so that's why the ratio just based upon production numbers doesn't hold up.

MM has a production run close to AFM, so if they were in the same demand, we would expect similar prices. So perhaps TAF and MM have about the same demand and are relatively equally liked, but there are just so many more TAFs out there.

I find this an interesting way to look at pricing trends and popularity of pins. It is not very effective on newer pins because the pricing data is limited and production runs less certain.

I looked at this a couple years ago (some of these prices have moved a fair bit) and that the pins in popularity order (based on this approach) were:
TAF
Indiana Jones
Twilight Zone
KISS
Medieval Madness
STTNG
Fish Tales
Funhouse
Terminator 2

As for me, I love AFM. One of the pins I have had for years and don't plan to sell. I played it in the arcade when it came out. I just recently bought a pin from a guy who has been collecting for 40 years. AFM was his favorite DMD. It is a great game. And surprising few people have played all the bits and pieces (Again!).

#81 11 years ago

There are many reasons AFM is considered a top game. The theme is classic, it has a fair amount of humor, blowing up the saucer is fun, and it has a classic fan layout. It is also a great looking machine. However, some people prefer MM, MB, SM, or LOTR which have similar playability. There is no one right answer here.

#82 11 years ago

I am on the hunt for a restoration candidate AFM . One of the appeals to me is the mod factor. You can really mod AFM , adding quite a bit to the original IMHO . You can also personalize it to taste, chrome or black trim for instance both look good. AFM dresses up nicely and there is a lot of dressing available for it. More than any other pin? not sure.

#83 11 years ago

Theres a reason why some pins are fun. Great rules, DOTs and theme (story/humor). This wasnt some pin that was thrown together, it was fully thought out. If you judge it by its cover either by not playing it fully or by it's art then your not getting the full treatment of how great it is. I hated the art and never gave it a chance...then I played it and I was hooked.

With all the top 10 titles AFM commands premium prices. I can understand that if youre relatively new to the hobby this would be a factor for not liking the game.

Mike
www.HabosArcade.com

#84 11 years ago

I finally played a bunch of games for the first time that were considered top 20 pins recently. At Kidforce collectibles in berea, ohio they had an attack from mars there so I told myself I'd regret it if I didn't try it out. I had fun with the game and went for the saucers and scored pretty high on my first game, but I didn't feel drawn to play multiple times. There was a twilight zone there that I couldn't stop putting quarters in and I had never played that game before either.

Both games in great working shape.

I saw the bowen kerins tutorials on both of them so I knew some of the objectives before hand, but twlight zone seemed to have shots, sounds, and images that just resonated better with me. Plus hitting the jackpot was much more satisfying to me.

I don't think all games resonate the same with everyone is my point I guess...

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from bghenson23:

I believe the price is mostly just a factor supply and demand.

lol

Ya think?!

#86 11 years ago

What games are your favorites, Chitownpinball?

#87 11 years ago

Like other's have said it's simple pinball bashing fun. Dots and sound are really well integrated but the price has gone crazy since the one on e-bay sold for $8K. This was a $4K pin before that albeit unrestored. Now people are asking 6, 7K for routed. It's crazy so I'll stick with T2, the poor man's AFM for now until prices come back down from outer space.

#88 11 years ago

Unfortunately many games are in such poor condition at the PHOF that you can't make an informed decision on gameplay.

Problems like games having too little pitch, being way out of level, and flippers being so weak that balls can't make it up ramps are omnipresent.

Find the game at shows or private collections and reassess.

OT: 200 games is evidently too much for one man to keep up with; the place is awesome, but it could be so much better if Tim would hire a full-time tech to keep all the games dialed-in.

#89 11 years ago

I am blessed in that MM does nothing for me. Sadly AFM and MB despite my love of newer games absolutely pull my heart strings. Scored the MB so hopefully if its another good year December of 2013 Santa will find me a restored AFM. Fun fun fun!
Like games after you play them and not wahat you read. It helps and may save you some money...maybe

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I am on the hunt for a restoration candidate AFM . One of the appeals to me is the mod factor. You can really mod AFM , adding quite a bit to the original IMHO . You can also personalize it to taste, chrome or black trim for instance both look good. AFM dresses up nicely and there is a lot of dressing available for it. More than any other pin? not sure.

Yea, that is the number one thing I consider too when buying my games. Forget gameplay, rules, flow, sound, theme, dots, and integration. It's all about how it can be dressed and moded.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

I finally played a bunch of games for the first time that were considered top 20 pins recently. At Kidforce collectibles in berea, ohio they had an Attack from Mars there so I told myself I'd regret it if I didn't try it out. I had fun with the game and went for the saucers and scored pretty high on my first game, but I didn't feel drawn to play multiple times. There was a Twilight Zone there that I couldn't stop putting quarters in and I had never played that game before either.
Both games in great working shape.
I saw the bowen kerins tutorials on both of them so I knew some of the objectives before hand, but twlight zone seemed to have shots, sounds, and images that just resonated better with me. Plus hitting the jackpot was much more satisfying to me.
I don't think all games resonate the same with everyone is my point I guess...

When picking a game to own, I think a decent amount of playtime should be involved before making a final decision. I bought ToM from Jack and played the SM right next to it before making my decision. For whatever reason, maybe it was the box, I was drawn to ToM and didn't buy SM NIB. Well ToM left a few months later, and now SM is one of my favorite games. SM does take a lot of time for the rules to gel and once they do, it's a blast.

I moved and AFM for AC/DC and that is the only game that could have replaced it. AFM is such a perfectly cohesive package that it is sorely missed. Best Extra Ball animation in pinball, Strobe Multi-Ball, great feedback when locking a Ball (missile) and even better energy when starting multi-ball. The humor and music is perfectly fitting for the game. If I only have one complaint it is the city objectives. If you complete all goals you will spend most of your time banging away at the saucer. Other than that, the game is perfect.

#92 11 years ago

Popular because it is a great theme, awesome humor, easy to understand rule set, beginners can pick it up easy, yet it is hard enough for more advanced players.

Quoted from RobT:

lol

Ya think?!

OP is not asking a Keynesian economics question on Supply/Demand. He was asking why there is such a high demand part, "why is it popular?". He never pondered why it costs so much.

#93 11 years ago

AFM, like MM and MB, has something sorely lacking in modern pins - humor.

It also plays and looks amazing.

If there was ever a game I'd spend "stupid money" on, it'd be AFM.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

OP is not asking a Keynesian economics question on Supply/Demand. He was asking why there is such a high demand part, "why is it popular?". He never pondered why it costs so much.

Exactly.

Quoted from benheck:

AFM, like MM and MB, has something sorely lacking in modern pins - humor.
It also plays and looks amazing.
If there was ever a game I'd spend "stupid money" on, it'd be AFM.

I agree. I'm betting that BHZA will have plenty of humor then?

#95 11 years ago

It has a killer multiball. Nothing gets the blood pumpin' like collecting a few sooooooooooooooper jackpahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhts... oh, baby!

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Forget gameplay, rules, flow, sound, theme, dots, and integration

I don't know how you can say that and rate games. Those things are very important to the average pinhead IMHO .

Quoted from BoJo:

that is the number one thing I consider too when buying my games

Number one thing for me is how much fun it is to play, for you modding may be more important than those other things. Some guys like repair more than gameplay also, but for me it's more about the fun. Being able to customize and mod a pin is a bonus I am just now beginning to explore.

On the other hand I still have not played a pin i did not like and I love rare pins.

As far as I can tell if you want to explore modding and customizing AFM is a good choice. For high end restoration there are also some guys who specialize in AFM and having seen their work I believe this pin can be one of the best looking smoothest playing pins there is. I want one.

#97 11 years ago

I really do like the game. The one BR and I fixed up was very fun. I had never played it before then. I would own one in a heartbeat if they were in the 4k-5k range. That is my personal perceived value on that title. I start thinking twice (or maybe even 3 times) once any machine goes above that. It would have to really be something super special... or have a sentimental value before I could justify going for one at today's price. Don't get me wrong... It really is a GREAT game. However, for me the bang for the buck lies elsewhere for sure.

#98 11 years ago

In addition to all the reasons already listed as to why AFM is such a great game, something people are forgetting is that the code was written by arguably the best pinball programmer ever - Lyman Sheets.

As far the argument that the money could be better spent elsewhere on a new faster brighter more complicated LE game? Well, maybe - but the same can be said for the collector car market. Go tell the guys bidding huge money at Mekum or Barret-Jackson that they can just buy a new Corvette for half of what they want to spend on a 60's or 70's musclecar. They either already have the new stuff or don't care about it. It's the classic, cool, retro, collectable factor as well as being great fun.

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I don't know how you can say that and rate games. Those things are very important to the average pinhead IMHO .

Number one thing for me is how much fun it is to play, for you modding may be more important than those other things. Some guys like repair more than gameplay also, but for me it's more about the fun. Being able to customize and mod a pin is a bonus I am just now beginning to explore.
On the other hand I still have not played a pin i did not like and I love rare pins.
As far as I can tell if you want to explore modding and customizing AFM is a good choice. For high end restoration there are also some guys who specialize in AFM and having seen their work I believe this pin can be one of the best looking smoothest playing pins there is. I want one.

Rommy, I was being sarcastic in my post

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't get it either. I had one and found it really boring within a week or so...which is weird for me, since I usually keep games for 300-500 plays before I sell them.

I think AFM is a really good game, but after playing it for a few days at a resort where I was vacationing last year, I was kinda over it. It just started feeling quite boring, and honestly, I was quite taken aback by that. I doubt I was even a hundred plays in at that point.

I'm thinking that it doesn't even matter whether it's truly a great game that has any real longevity or not. Everyone has over-hyped and overpriced the game so much, that it now has this thing about it to where everybody thinks they have to have one to have a serious collection.

And to those people, I say just get a Revenge From Mars and save yourself a few thousand dollars. It's pretty much the exact same game, and with that money you saved, you can buy more pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 21.50
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-ignorance-why-is-attack-from-mars-so-popular/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.