IMG_5444.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ed_in_texas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

After finishing my homebrew Medieval Madness in 2014 (and some more bad influencing by my good friend Wally), I decided to try building a Cactus Canyon. After about a year of sourcing parts and months of working on it (off and on), it's finished. As Wally would say "There's one more CC." I'm very pleased with how it came out. It's really beautiful and plays great. For those not familiar with my (and a few others) homebrew MM or AFM, basically I converted an NBAFB into a CC using all the compatible parts, and buying NOS or reproduction CC parts. I was fortunate to have access to an original CC (pictured on the left... Thanks Gary) to use as a go-by. Here are a few pics of my finished CC. I made a NBAFB to CC Part 1 video after I finished the cabinet and was waiting on my playfield to arrive. I'll get around to making a Part 2 video sooner or later (or make one start to finish video), but in the meantime, here are a few finished pics. Homebrew CC is on the right.
-Ed

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

image_4.jpgimage_4.jpg

image_5.jpgimage_5.jpg

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

So, how much money in parts is this? Not going to factor labor in this at all.

Honestly, I stopped keeping receipts after I hit about $8k just so the wife didn't see lol. If I were to guess, I'd say I'm about $9.5k-$10k in it. It really depends on what you're ok with on your project. For me, I bought a lot of new stuff that I could have used off the NBAFB, but just wanted new (coin door, legs, side rails, DMD, etc.). Count in the hundreds of hours of labor and I would have been better off just buying a nice original. It was never about trying to build it for less, but just the satisfaction of doing it.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Damn that's amazing. Guessing some of that was really hard to find!

At the time I started collecting parts, with the exception of a playfield (pretty important), and a few other things like the mine entrance, a few lamp boards, and some metal ball guides, everything was available. Rick and PPS has done a great job for the hobby in getting things reproduced. PSPA has (had) a treasure trove of NOS parts. Some things had to be fabricated. I did locate a whitewood playfield I was planning on using if printed reproductions were not made. Luckily they were.

#14 8 years ago

Here is a pic of the underside before building/installing the wiring harness. 2nd pic is near the end of the wiring harness install.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#25 8 years ago

Quick and dirty game play video:

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I'm floored! Excellent job!
Question, if I may: when you needed to have particular parts fabricated, did you make them yourself? If not, is there a person/place that does that kind of work? There's a simple sheet metal ball ramp for my Seawitch that I've been looking to replace, but they're NLA. I've read that cliffy has been contacted about making a repro, and he may eventually do it, but I'm sure he's a very busy guy... Anyways, just thought I'd ask since you must have run into some pretty interesting dilemmas along the way putting that thing together. Again, excellent job on the CC!

Some of the NLA parts, I fabricated myself (like the two outer plates on the mine gearbox assembly... which is the same on MB). Other items such as the horizontal arm in the bad guy assembly, I had reproduced. Most of the metal ball guides were measured and put into CAD files (Thanks Wally) and laser cut by a stainless steel company. I then bent them into shape myself. For the Mine entrance, I turned to Mantis Amusements who reproduced that part along with some other parts that he was already making.

IMG_5444.jpgIMG_5444.jpg
IMG_6140.jpgIMG_6140.jpg
IMG_6157.jpgIMG_6157.jpg
IMG_8015.jpgIMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8112.jpgIMG_8112.jpg
IMG_8099.jpgIMG_8099.jpg

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Impressive, congratulations !
Did you try to keep it all as original or did you change some things / make improvements ?

I tried keeping everything as original as possible. There are some small difference. For example, on the apron, I used the NBAFB apron. After I stripped and repainted it, applied decals, drilled holes for the flashers, and added the guns, I realized I forgot to cut the shooter sight window (NBAFB and other WPC95 games that have a ball launch button do not have a shooter sight window). For now, I'm just leaving it as-is.

#40 8 years ago

Completed playfield wiring harness. Just finished zip tying up. Not too shabby

image.jpgimage.jpg

#44 8 years ago

My wife has mad photoshop skills and put this together for me
Instruction card is next.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

4 weeks later
#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Time to get CCC installed to make it complete.

Boom!

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Hey Ed, you need to recompile pypinproc with the color layering fix.

Yup. That's next. Just did the initial install and set up. A few patch installs are coming. I was just excited to get the initial video out

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how much different is the pinout on the harness? Did you keep the plugs the same for the boards and use a manual to match them up to the correct lights? Were all the lines long enough to reach everything?

All the factory connectors utilized by the P-Roc plug right in with no modification.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Awesome! Is the NBA Fastbreak cab sized different (taller?) than the other Cactus Canyon original cabinet? Picture might just be deceiving. Great job!

Cabinets are exactly the same.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Did I see correct that you fabricated the strip
Drop target assemblies???

Not the drop target assemblies. They were assembled from available NOS parts. I did have to fabricated a part for the bad guy assembly, the mine motor gear assembly, and many of the metal ball guides.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm sufficiently impressed.
Will this be making it's debut at TPF'16?

Yes sir.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 85.00
16,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bullhead City, AZ
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ed_in_texas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-homebrew-cactus-canyon?tu=ed_in_texas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.