You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2.jpg
1.jpg
14.jpg

#1 10 years ago

I was looking at the Hobbit Playfield again and realized I had been looking at the field all wrong. The two squares up near the double ramp is not something you shoot into, but something you roll into.

In the game, When you aim for the right ramp it may be possible for the game to trigger the left square to open up and send your ball through an under playfield ram. Either has a ball lock, or a secondary playfield.The same goes vise versa for the left ramp and right square.

I still think the bottom two squares are targets you need to hit.

14.jpg14.jpg

#2 10 years ago

So are you saying that if the left one is up, you shoot the right ramp with the diverter down to shoot the ball into the back side of the target? If that if what you are thinking, I think that is a good possibility.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

So are you saying that if the left one is up, you shoot the right ramp with the diverter down to shoot the ball into the back side of the target? If that if what you are thinking, I think that is a good possibility.

No, its not a target, but a hole that opens up and swallows your ball. The bottom two are targets.

#4 10 years ago

I hear you, I just call it a target if you are shooting at it, does not have to be a target from the front. The hole would be in the field, so you really mean scoop. Just different words. I did not want to call it a troll because I agree it might not be. I do see what you are saying.

That actually would make a lot of interesting shots from that direction.

#5 10 years ago

If there were underground ramps here, they would be seen on the playfield drawing with dotted lines, like the one above...

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

No, its not a target, but a hole that opens up and swallows your ball. The bottom two are targets.

Well, if that's the case then the bottom two could work in the same way by shooting the opposite orbit shot all the way around, past the upper flipper and into a backwards-facing pop-up scoop.

#7 10 years ago

They look like teleportation devices to me

#8 10 years ago

Interesting idea, but why then are the arrow inserts pointing the opposite direction towards them?

#9 10 years ago

I don't think I'd put much weight in the specific insert layout just yet - that kind of thing isn't pinned down until a lot further into development. ALTHOUGH - the direction of the arrows is probably a good indication that whatever it is, will be facing forwards.

#10 10 years ago

Given the lack of visible ball locks on the field and the orientation of the targets to the orbits and ramp, I would say there IS a good chance that these could indeed be bash targets from the front and scoops on the back. Though it would take some very tight careful engineering to make it likely the scoop could reliably catch the ball.

This would make a LOT of sense with the incorporation of the U-turn ramp, as the only way to fill the scoop on say the left pop up target/scoop would be to shoot the right ramp and employ the U-turn. The ball could fall inside the target/scoop and submerge with it into the field. When multiball is ready, it could pop back up and eject out the back up the ramp or into the orbit.

I would say based on this all four could be this same configuration, if indeed this is how they work. Then there would be places to lock four different balls and it would make for a challenging buildup to multiball.

It would be great if there were underfield subways that haven't been shown, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I think it is far more likely that if these are some sort of scoop that they take the ball down in-place and then later return it from that spot up and into play at a later point.

If all true that would make these more interesting than I had originally thought. It would be MUCH more interesting than them being just bash targets. The backstab idea previously floated where they are bi-directional bash targets that act differently hit from front vs back is interesting, but not nearly so as if they are scoops.

I'm still a bit concerned of having so many bash targets in what is supposed to be a flow game. It would be good only if there is a VERY careful balance of allowing flow and then interrupting it with the pop-ups. If they were up too much they would cause too much loss of ball control, the opposite of flow.

-Jim

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

bi-directional bash targets that act differently hit from front vs back is interesting

This would really be cool and has been mentioned in multiply threads. I also how there is some good lighting and spotlights on the game.

Like other posts about WOZ the playfield is rather dark. So hoping more time is spent on lighting with spots and GI then the insert lighting. But I do admit the insert color changing LEDs in WOZ are incredible!

#12 10 years ago

Really good theory. Perhaps all 4 are ball locks?

Shoot right orbit to lock ball on left. Left orbit to lock ball on right. Shoot right ramp to lock ball on left and vice versa. Where the balls go or what happens next is unknown?

#13 10 years ago

They look an awful lot like troll mech tops from mm to me, maybe there will be hobbits in them that pop up like whack a mole, having 4 to shoot at would be just that little bit extra jjp seems to be shooting for. i totally approve of the lets see how much junk we can fit on a plank mindset.

#14 10 years ago

It is also possible these are really complex, and that they are multilevel. If so, they could be both multidirectional bash (front and back) and scoops.

Raised to the first level, they could be heads that could be hit from either the front or the back. The direction could be determined by the closure of a switch in the orbit or ramp, and then the hit switch that closes when the toy is hit. When they are raised higher to a second height, the front could be the rest of the toy body (still a bash toy), but open in back for a scoop to catch the ball.

Here's hoping they can be this complex. It would be totally wicked.

-Jim

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Really good theory. Perhaps all 4 are ball locks?
Shoot right orbit to lock ball on left. Left orbit to lock ball on right. Shoot right ramp to lock ball on left and vice versa. Where the balls go or what happens next is unknown?

Having ball locks on the rear and targets on the front would be awesome! Fingers crossed these are more then just pop up targets with no target on the front.

#16 10 years ago

We are over analyzing here.It will be changed at least 10 times before production in Dec 2017.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Venom_249:

They look an awful lot like troll mech tops from mm to me, maybe there will be hobbits in them that pop up like whack a mole, having 4 to shoot at would be just that little bit extra jjp seems to be shooting for. i totally approve of the lets see how much junk we can fit on a plank mindset.

LOL, If these are pop up targets like the MM trolls, I will not be able to resist replacing them with little rodent toys... If only for one game.

#18 10 years ago

Speaking of theories..
I don't understand what the upper flippers are for. Ok, they are for shooting the stuff on the top of the pf.. but imo i don't see any shot that can't be made with the lower flippers.
So i don't see the point on those upper flippers..
Any theory about this?

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Any theory about this?

Perhaps if you shoot the loop with the lower flippers and when the ball comes out you hit something with the upper flippers, results are different ?

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I have no idea. Just my guess.

#20 10 years ago

Everyone was talking how they wanted player controlled diverters. Well, those upper flippers *also* serve that purpose from orbit shots!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Speaking of theories..
I don't understand what the upper flippers are for. Ok, they are for shooting the stuff on the top of the pf.. but imo i don't see any shot that can't be made with the lower flippers.
So i don't see the point on those upper flippers..
Any theory about this?

If the axes come down as I think they will nearly all shots from the lower flippers will be blocked.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If the axes come down as I think they will nearly all shots from the lower flippers will be blocked.

The axes are not going to move any father then the angle a normal sling shot extends out.. 45 degree angle at best.

#23 10 years ago

Jump ramps, a-la RFM

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Jump ramps, a-la RFM

I think this guy is onto something. That horse shoe looking plastic as i see it looks to line up with those squares so you could probably shoot up a pop up ramp to either side....hmmm.

def more interested in this table even though ive never seen this movie.

#25 10 years ago

Are the axes going to move like the Dancing Boogies in Scared Stiff?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Are the axes going to move like the Dancing Boogies in Scared Stiff

Looks like left and right, not up and down like Boogies. Looks to kick a ball back up the playfield.

LTG : )

#27 10 years ago

The "troll" hatches block most of those lower flipper shots...
... But NOT when those shots are made from the upper flippers.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Exactly what I was thinking.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Jump ramps, a-la RFM

interesting theory

Quoted from Rick432:

so 2 upper flippers just to bypass the "trolls"? if the trolls are up then it's probably because you need to shoot them. that can not be the only reason or the main reason..

i don't remember any game that has an upper flipper that doesn't have an exclusive shot.
well, maybe TFTC... but that was 20 years ago.

i am not bashing on hobbit, i really can't wait to see this thing ready. i am just trying to understand those upper flippers

#30 10 years ago

I like the idea of the scoop in back. For the lower "hatches," you could also make an orbit shot but use the upper flipper to *prevent* the ball from dropping in the opposite-side hatch.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Speaking of theories..
I don't understand what the upper flippers are for.

The upper right flipper on WOZ is the same way. Other than one of the skill shots, pretty much nothing to shoot with that flipper.

#32 10 years ago

i don't see the purpose of having pop up ramps.
also the lower pop up targets wouldn't block many shots, and the upper ones would block just as many shots from the upper flippers as the lower ones.

it would be neat if the axes fully extend to block shots but why wouldn't the dotted line indicate them fully extended.

i bet many of these ideas will be cooler than what is implemented in the game.

kj

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like left and right, not up and down like Boogies.

Oh, I didn't mean the Boogies from EATPM. The ones from Scared Stiff "chop" forward, that's why I thought it might work that way. I see what you're saying though, that the axe would actually HIT the ball, not just be there for show.

#34 10 years ago

Guys...the axes are going to be on TOP of the slings. Visual effect only.. They're not at ball level. =P

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The upper right flipper on WOZ is the same way. Other than one of the skill shots, pretty much nothing to shoot with that flipper.

That is one tough shot to make and cannot be made by any of the other flippers. The "Skill" shot will likely be used even more once all is said and done code wise. Also the upper right flipper allows for the player to lift it up and hit the "Collect" shot behind it which I find to be a very unique shot. I'm sure the Collect shot behind the flipper will be used more (other then collecting Horse of a different color reward) once the code is complete. Having the upper right flipper should also assist with bashing the Witch target during Battle The Wicked Witch which will likely be a multiball.

As for the TH the pop ups can block a number of shots from the lower flippers making those shots only possible from the upper flippers.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Or are they "spider" hatches? Hmmmmmmm.

#37 10 years ago

The upper right flipper could be handy for hitting those SMAUG drop targets.

#38 10 years ago

Perhaps the target for the upper flippers is not yet revealed.....ie moving ramp on the tail of smaug or some other target that lowers down. The dragon is a toy that could be extremely relevant to gameplay.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Actually the upper right flipper in WOZ is one of the better ways to get the "R" and "A" targets in Rainbow. (bank shot off the pop bumpers) Also the *only* way to hit the (very hard) skill shot inside the Haunted Forest. The more you play it, the more uses for it you find. At the start of Munchkinland modes, when the ball is held on the magnet right next to it, it's the quickest way to start running up the target values (hitting Rainbow targets).

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Perhaps the target for the upper flippers is not yet revealed.

yep, I think there is much more to come on this games reveal regardless I am happy with what I see do far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-hobbit-theory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.