(Topic ID: 212100)

My HEP Awesome anniversary! TZ dream comes true!

By Yelobird

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0531.GIF
IMG_0532.GIF
IMG_0533.GIF
IMG_0769 (resized).jpg
IMG_0768 (resized).jpg
IMG_0762 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

292 posts in this topic match your search for posts by High_End_Pins. You are on page 1 of 2.
#31 5 years ago

This kicks off today.
Game is in the teardown zone

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#32 5 years ago

Ready to set up on legs.
Without even looking much further it becomes obvious it has a replacement decal on the front.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#33 5 years ago

Up on 4 legs.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#35 5 years ago

Glass off
Pinstadium things out of the way.
Game like most looks pretty nice 5 or 6 feet away.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#36 5 years ago

Opened up.
Jeezzuss

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#37 5 years ago

I need to go no further right now than to start prepping the new cabinet for refinishing.
When a cabinet is this stained inside and rough on the outside a replacement is the best solution.
Spots like these can be fixed easily enough but they won’t be as good as new structurally.
The front is loose etc. Nothing wrong with fixing the cabinet on a budget or such but definitely not ideal.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#38 5 years ago

I start with a TZ blank.
It is TZ based on the holes in the front and shooter rod location. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

No holes in the sides for the hinges or pivots.
I prefer to add those as I do the final assembly for the best fit.

#41 5 years ago

New isn’t actually easier it is just better overall for the end result.
It will still require filling surface perfecting and refinishing just like the old one but the drilling,fitting and lack of all the old parts locations makes it a bit like dealing with a playfield that is not drilled or dimpled but regardless I prefer the blank canvas approach.
First I meticulously inspect and feel every inch of the cabinet and head looking for imperfections in the wood or voids
I mark them in pencil.

#42 5 years ago

Next I am looking for more minor things like nail holes.

#43 5 years ago

Finally I want to smooth the cut of the face of the head.
Even new there is a fuzziness that is present in certain fill plys.
Sometimes more than others depending on the material used and the core type.

#44 5 years ago

The head is tackled first in this step it is the more time consuming item.
Face and nail holes are wiped with filler.
Filler sets quickly this time of the year and getting sloppy with it will only make more work so while it doesn’t look like it is wiped smooth it is actually wiped very precisely so that only the face itself is being filled and areas of concern.

#46 5 years ago

The filler is cut down mechanically with a sander to save a little time and elbow grease.
The next step will be perfecting it manually because you really can’t get into the corners and such any other way.

#48 5 years ago

My preference for the final finish sanding of the face filler is a nice straight section of 1/4 round wrap tightly in sandpaper.
It fits in corners tight but the rounded sections helps eliminate the possibility of trenching adjacent areas in a a way a true square block would and it provides a nice straight edge that is the same size as the face surface.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#49 5 years ago

Head is done and ready to prime.
When sanding I am looking to get to a point where I am close to the grain once again but not quite.
This tells me I have filled the areas and smoothed them but have not simply mounded filler in there.

#50 5 years ago

Same process on lower but less things to address after a thorough sanding.

#51 5 years ago

Ready to mask and prime.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

How do you still have fingerprints with that much hand sanding and no protection?

Clearly these hands have never done a days hard work

#54 5 years ago

Cabinet is masked.

#55 5 years ago

Ready to prime the cabinet.
This is the material bill for just the filler primer and tape.
Easy to spend over $200 just priming the Cabinet even with favorable pricing not even thinking about sand paper,razor blades,electricity,equipment etc.

#56 5 years ago

Cabinet is primed.

#58 5 years ago

Now guide coated.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You work so efficiently. You must have a great staff that helps you be so efficient

I have the best staff money can buy. None
Although I will say anyone that makes a product or provides a service as part of this process is a silent contributor.

#67 5 years ago

Just finished my morning workout but before I hit the shower I am going to get today’s dirty work out of the way.
Sanding and painting definitely qualify so it is a perfect time to prep the cabinet for paint and clear.

#68 5 years ago

With just a quick light pass over the lower cabinet side I can help highlight the benefits and importance of the guidecoat.
If the primer were just in its natural state I would be sanding blind in essence.
The contrast of The guidecoat makes the highs and lows of the surface easily identifiable and will be my guide to properly sanding the cabinet nice and straight. Hence the term guidecoat.
Nice new wood still is not straight it has ripples and grain.
Few would spot either easily but if you know what you are looking at or for it is bothersome.

#69 5 years ago

Sanded a bit more and the highlights are hit but this is where the details and deeper issues start to show.
Ideally all the guidecoat will be gone and little to no wood showing through the primer so sanding will continue until that is the case.

#70 5 years ago

Sanding is complete on this side. That process will continue on all surfaces of both the lower and head.

#71 5 years ago

Lower is done.

#72 5 years ago

Moving to the head.
The seam in the back is something I can accent or eliminate but whichever option I go with needs to be consistent so that f eliminating it needs to be all the way around
That is what we will do with this one.

#73 5 years ago

Cabinet is ready to base in black.

#74 5 years ago

Based on black and ready to clear.

#76 5 years ago

Cleared

#77 5 years ago

Bolts blasted and painted.

#79 5 years ago

Cabinet will gloss down a bit as it dries.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Congrats on the anniversary and HEP restore!
I mentioned this to my wife today. Today’s our 23rd. She’s been a supportive pinball wife but when I suggested HEP to celebrate our 25th she said ‘I don’t think that’s happening”.

Happy anniversary anyway

#84 5 years ago

Now I have the future cabinet in order and curing I can focus on the playfield.
The existing playfield looks ok at a glance I could work with it
Definitely have seen and done worse.
The highlights would be the typical stuff. Ground in dirt,ball drop damage, insert bordering a little vertical cracking here and there.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#85 5 years ago

It has been drilled for a third magnet and there is some cracking around the original magnet below that.
The most troubling thing without full teardown at a glance is the mini playfield.
That is cracked to a point that it really is not worth salvaging because the inserts themselves are affected as well.
When they plank like this and then the dirt gets ground in it really equals the following process
Level surface then close to total repaint.
The circles,the lettering the gradients in the pyramid could easily burn many hours of time and material and the end result would still not be true perfection.
That is a process I don’t mind doing when there are no other alternatives but I save it for those situations as well.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
#86 5 years ago

When a third magnet is added to a production playfield it does not have the benefit of the factory recess underneath for the magnet assembly to sit in.
It sets at a different level.
Not a huge deal it can be functional but it is technically odd.

#87 5 years ago

What I will do in this case since the game is already been upgraded to the third magnet including the ball guides is utilize a true factory third magnet playfield.
I have done many TZs over the years many different ways but knowing how special this game and process is to the owner I feel comfortable gifting a more appropriate spare set to the cause.
It will need a level of restoration on par with the original in the game but it is more ideal for several reasons which I will highlight.

#88 5 years ago

On a true factory third magnet game we have the following.
A natural wood border that is purposely offset.
A true pocket for the magnet assembly

Green color on the insert surrounds leading to the main ramp.

A more gradient heavy grayer door panel. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Green lock insert.

Sticker on the spiral although I will eliminate that during the rework because not all highlights are good just technical.

#89 5 years ago

Of course when it comes to the mini the most noteworthy difference is the lack of FLIP HERE within the red and white circles.

#90 5 years ago

One other advantage besides building a more technically and historically correct game is it will allow the playfield restoration process to be done independently of the teardown and parts reconditioning which means I can more thoroughly address both without impact.

#92 5 years ago

Head is screened with the warning text. 3B5414B0-AC13-471D-9B62-C7BA94516B88 (resized).jpeg3B5414B0-AC13-471D-9B62-C7BA94516B88 (resized).jpeg
F6A3A4C5-328C-4CF4-BEA3-A2CE648E096C (resized).jpegF6A3A4C5-328C-4CF4-BEA3-A2CE648E096C (resized).jpeg
2D4531A8-83D3-4C39-8677-722840B53F89 (resized).jpeg2D4531A8-83D3-4C39-8677-722840B53F89 (resized).jpeg

#93 5 years ago

Cabinet will now be sanded on the surfaces to be decaled then moved out of the paint shop.

#94 5 years ago

Cabinet is sanded in preparation for the decal install. I will blow it off unmask it and wipe it down with s cleaner next.

#95 5 years ago

Cabinet is blown off
Wiped down inside and out. 16CB17DD-D41B-4BE8-9DD2-04F24BCA2CDC (resized).jpeg16CB17DD-D41B-4BE8-9DD2-04F24BCA2CDC (resized).jpeg
8DBE6AC2-5075-4EA8-B2D3-56B32E651923 (resized).jpeg8DBE6AC2-5075-4EA8-B2D3-56B32E651923 (resized).jpeg

Now in the rebuild area where it can be decaled when ready.

#96 5 years ago

With the replacement cabinet now in good order I can start the playfield restoration.

#97 5 years ago

First order of business is pulling the Mylar sections.
This is done with the freeze spray method.

#98 5 years ago

The areas that were demylared are now being soaked in an adhesive remover.
Then the glue wipes off with a litte effort.

#99 5 years ago

Playfield set is cleaned with two separate cleaners.
One is water based and removes any organic or natural occurring dirts or contaminants that are water based.
The other is solvent based and removes what the eater based cleaner cannot which would be oil and solvent based contamination’s. C073F395-9B6E-4059-9B87-E904577A0340 (resized).jpegC073F395-9B6E-4059-9B87-E904577A0340 (resized).jpeg

Playfield is as clean as it can get from this method so other methods will be used to take care of anything remaining.

#100 5 years ago

Now I will clean the holes and do an initial sanding on the backside

When things like wax are running down into the holes it is ugly sure but it also creates a potential for adhesion failure. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will run through each hole with a steel round brush chucked up in a drill.

This will be done on all holes.

#101 5 years ago

The switch cut outs need a similar prep
I have a nice section of steel that fits the slots and is rounded on the edges similar to the cut out shape

That gets tightly wrapped in sandpaper and used to clean the cutouts up.

#102 5 years ago

Now I can address the shooter lanes and various bevels

#103 5 years ago

Bevels are done with a nice flat block that fits them and is also wrapped in sandpaper.

#104 5 years ago

Shooter lanes will be done wit a similar method but using dowels stepping down from large to small.

#105 5 years ago

The lanes are sanded as clean as possible without trenching.

Sanding this one any deeper would expose a small knot in the veneer.
You can get a seance of how deep it is by looking at the profile of the layers.

#106 5 years ago

With the dust wiped away you can see how dirt has ground into it. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

That will be something that I deal with a bit later.

#108 5 years ago

Playfield set is now fully sanded and cleaned.
Ready for a coat of adhesion promoter and then clear.
A couple very minor repairs were made if something was chipped or something from disassembly.

#109 5 years ago

When I do the initial clear on the playfield set I want to also clear the replacement trim.
Starting out with new black powder coated legs,rails and lockbar.

#110 5 years ago

I am going to use a set of WPC 95 hinges because the design is better.
By having the divot for the bolt it also provides a space between the hinge and rails once placed so no future concerns with the rails being damaged or scuffed when the head is folded down.

#111 5 years ago

I am going to scuff and base all this trim in a TZ appropriate blackend pearl base that is reminiscent of the red/burgundy burst behind the lettering
It looks close to black but when in the proper light it shows the effect.

#112 5 years ago

Trim is sanded.

#113 5 years ago

First clear applied to main.
There will be repairs and repaints ahead in the coming days for that.

#114 5 years ago

Mini cleared.

#115 5 years ago

Trim is prepped and sprayed with adhesion promoter.

#116 5 years ago

Trim based and cleared.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I will go on record and say this custom project and transaction has been the Smoothest and easiest I have Ever done in pinball. Working with HEP from start to finish has been flawless. Professional communication, spot on detail, and a Truly great guy to seal the deal. I have always been apprehensive with transactions like this as I often get the short end of the stick but working with Chris is impressive beyond words honestly. He clearly Knows what to do but he is so outgoing to please and consider your needs. Calls/texts me with progress and updates but is always considerate of our not so artistic recommendations. We are So impressed not only by what he does but the heart he puts into his creation. Yes its a business but it is supported by his love of the art which is really impressive and very evident. This really was a scary decision to make but HEP has made this the most comfortable decision we have ever made without question. We will be Honored to display this piece as our anniversary milestone and love of pinball. Already have a tape outline in the dining room (wife approved) for her arrival home. This will be our Picasso on display for anyone to view. Thanks again for what you do!

Thank you. It is hard not to connect with the passion some people have for these games and try my hardest to realize the vision they have.

#119 5 years ago

Cabinet is decaled.
I will finish the edges in a day or two as it really bonds to the paint.
By applying them over fresh but not too fresh paint the chemical reaction will really help melt the two together for the best possible bonding and durability.

#121 5 years ago

Head edges are done.

#122 5 years ago

Lower edges finished

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Oh good grief.......just that cabinet is a work of art!! Great job Chris!!!!
Question: Do you use any adhesive promoter on the cabinet before applying the artwork decals?? You see so many others redecaled cabinets where wrinkling occurs when the legs are installed, so I wonder what you do to prevent that.

I found through much experience that there is an ideal window of time to apply the decals.
If done within a day or two of painting they tend to really bond well to the surface. That is because as the paint draws in and continues to cure the decal joins it. Much of this is based on individual products and processes so results can vary but that is what works best for me.
As far as wrinkling goes there are numerous protections put in place to guard against it and that is really important.
It isn’t that decals are flawed it is more that it will naturally be the weakest link between a metal and wood sandwich so you have take precautions during the process to not only avoid any pitfalls during the build but to bulletproof long after knowing future owners might not be as careful during the set up or moving process.

#125 5 years ago

Future cabinet can sit to the side now and teardown of the game as well as reconditioning of the parts can start. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will start in the head.

Translite looks to be new.

Lamp panel is interesting.

Speaker magnet did a good job of keeping the hook bracket from going too far image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Boards dirty,wiring all over the place etc.Has LED OCD already installed along with colordmdimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#127 5 years ago

Speaker panel removed and completely disassembled.
Panel is fairly dull and scratched up.
Grills are dirty.

#128 5 years ago

Panel plastic is washed.
92776D89-EE98-43B0-B2E5-B83556861C71 (resized).jpeg92776D89-EE98-43B0-B2E5-B83556861C71 (resized).jpeg

Wooden panel is cleaned and repainted front and back in gloss black so the grills will look nice
C1CD8CAB-9F2D-4C2F-9982-BE8F44F6034E (resized).jpegC1CD8CAB-9F2D-4C2F-9982-BE8F44F6034E (resized).jpeg
8B4D9276-14C9-4D8E-8E26-3DDE7A74544F (resized).jpeg8B4D9276-14C9-4D8E-8E26-3DDE7A74544F (resized).jpeg

The H channel is also refinished in gloss black. B35720E4-A034-4FF0-ADAC-354D0E4B9D30 (resized).jpegB35720E4-A034-4FF0-ADAC-354D0E4B9D30 (resized).jpeg

While the paint dries I polish the plastic panel. BF109E3A-B300-4F88-BE1A-90A85F8EE37B (resized).jpegBF109E3A-B300-4F88-BE1A-90A85F8EE37B (resized).jpeg
3DC3D7B2-028B-47B6-B84E-EFEC9757FBEE (resized).jpeg3DC3D7B2-028B-47B6-B84E-EFEC9757FBEE (resized).jpeg

#129 5 years ago

Now I can reassemble the panel.

I use a peice of wax paper to keep from printing or marking anything after the painting and polishing. 8C453F65-2EBF-470F-8E8B-FEFAC251F5CE (resized).jpeg8C453F65-2EBF-470F-8E8B-FEFAC251F5CE (resized).jpeg

Carpet tape is used to reattach the plastic panel. It is very sticky but paper thin so it is perfect for the task.
The panel is placed and it polished up nicely.

FD276116-E80F-4DEC-90F8-51E86671EC17 (resized).jpegFD276116-E80F-4DEC-90F8-51E86671EC17 (resized).jpeg

A80463A8-B7F3-4FC4-9A46-17B963D14319 (resized).jpegA80463A8-B7F3-4FC4-9A46-17B963D14319 (resized).jpeg

242E5E42-5DFD-4489-AEED-753E7CC70DB4 (resized).jpeg242E5E42-5DFD-4489-AEED-753E7CC70DB4 (resized).jpeg

The hooks will be swapped out for nickel plated version image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#130 5 years ago

All screws are replaced or polished. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The portion of this type of speaker system wiring that runs down to the subwoofer has been placed on a plug so the panel can easily be placed or removed in the future without opening the game all the way up and disconnecting it at the sub image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The wiring is run through aclosed loom so it cannot be easily strained. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Panel is finished.

#131 5 years ago

Lamp panel is next.

#132 5 years ago

Panel torn down.

#133 5 years ago

Panel is painted.

#136 5 years ago

Ready to rebuild the lamp panel.

Paint is dry image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Backside sanded clean
Nickel plated brackets
Wiring cleaned and dried.

#139 5 years ago

Rebuilding with new labels
The blinker sockets have been previously swapped but I am going to swap them back because while I understand and have made the change many times from the original 545 to 455s these days with LEDs primarily used I prefer to carry one bulb style on the panel when possible.
That meaning all sockets will be and remain the 555 style sockets

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Did the client ask for PinSound? Would seem like a no brainer to add that to a game of this prestige. With a PinSound board you can use the original uncompressed DCS audio instead of the scratchy sounding factory audio.

No but I tend to shy away from component board changes because I like the ability to easily diagnose and satellite service the games.
When new things like that are put into the mix regardless of how cool they are it can create issues I am unfamiliar with and limit my ability to easily support the game into the future.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Could I get this done to mine for about $3000 ?

Definitely not here.
With a new cabinet etc doubtful even if you did it yourself.

#142 5 years ago

Replacing at a minimum the green and white/green wiring entirely.

#144 5 years ago

Panel rebuilt
All wiring is new.
I couldn’t take the mix of the old stained wire and the new.
The harness pigtail is extended now as well. They can run tight sometimes. No longer a concern.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#145 5 years ago

Pulling the boards next.
I try not to clean them by washing unless absolutely necessary and I am pretty sure these will fall into that category.
Some will be just exchanged into inventory and swapped with previously serviced units and those that are exchanged will be serviced and put back into inventory to replace them.

#146 5 years ago

Everything is unplugged

#147 5 years ago

Boards removed image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

CPU has the typical battery corrosion.

Some previous repairs as well. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Dot controller has the expected HV burn.
Driver has some previous repairs
Big cap
Lots of jumpers in the GI possibly bypassing the fuses is my guess at a glance.

#149 5 years ago

What does this mean?

#150 5 years ago

Head gutted.
Will have some odds and ends to be reconditioned

#151 5 years ago

Metal grill is cleaned and polished. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will need to finish breaking down the board mounting panel

#152 5 years ago

Board panel torn downimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The screw clips go into the ultrasonic cleaner. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The panel gets sprayed with a metal cleaner. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#154 5 years ago

Panel is then watersanded and considered good enough given its location,purpose and what will actually show once reassembled.
I could turn it into a mirror but I prefer to use my time a little more wisely by using that spared time on things that are more important to the restoration.

#155 5 years ago

Boards are thoroughly cleaned and dried. The ones that need rework will be exchanged with freshly serviced originals.

#156 5 years ago

Working towards harvesting all the parts from the game that I will need to build up the new cabinet.
There are lots of mods and creative wiring
As bad as it looks I will be able to easily clean it up tomorrow n terms of mod wiring
It needs various 12 volt taps and I will build those into the harnesses where needed and eliminate much of this.

#157 5 years ago

On TZ the buy in button wiring really runs short so I will address that too just noting it as I pull the cabinet wiring.

#158 5 years ago

More cabinet parts removed.

#159 5 years ago

Cabinet wiring was separated and is soaking in cleaner solution.
Will rebuild the power box as it soaks

#160 5 years ago

Rebuilding the power box will include a new line filter,fuse holder,on off switch
Varieties,thermistor and adding a service outlet to upgrade and fully convert to US specs.
Freshly plated housing is also part of the rebuild.

#161 5 years ago

Power box rebuilt.
Original switch was good and in a plastic housingwith push on terminals so it was easily reused.

#162 5 years ago

Paint work today
The playfield is ready to sand and repair/repaint. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I am also going to dial the trim color in a bit more.
A black with blue sparkle was requested and tried but something just doesn’t mesh there when placed.
EE815289-CFB7-451B-B821-5F8E6B0775C3 (resized).jpegEE815289-CFB7-451B-B821-5F8E6B0775C3 (resized).jpeg
I think the real issue is that both the replacement and original cabinet are are burgundy based and as a result I need to move towards that image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Still will look black at face value but in the light it will be a more appropriate match.
B31E5CE8-4A24-4F6A-9CF1-34D22056464A (resized).jpegB31E5CE8-4A24-4F6A-9CF1-34D22056464A (resized).jpeg
7EA5DC3E-586D-4FAC-93D3-305C0A2EE9AE (resized).jpeg7EA5DC3E-586D-4FAC-93D3-305C0A2EE9AE (resized).jpeg

#163 5 years ago

Will do a door for the game this time around also.
The game has a replacement entropy door but I prefer the glossier happ door on TZ builds.

#165 5 years ago

Playfield sanded. Catching some minor chips here and there
Most just minor chip outs from the removal of the jet bumper nails.
Common occurrence even if well versed on TZ playfields.

#166 5 years ago

Trim sanded now including a door and shooter housing.

#167 5 years ago

Trim painted and cleared with an improved effect.

#168 5 years ago

Playfield is cleaned and ready to repaint as needed.

First I will freshen the natural wood up.
This step will disguise the ground in dirt and bulb burn as well as address the repairs that were needed in those areas.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#170 5 years ago

Pressing and cutting out the masking film.
Nothing fancy ,special or secretive just a steady hand,good eyes and a whole lot of experience.

#171 5 years ago

Masking complete.

Same process on the mini because it has some ball dings and a small chip out on the profile.

#172 5 years ago

Now is where it gets a bit more complex.
All woods vary so I will use different shade and transparencies to address the concerns.

#173 5 years ago

Wood tones are sprayed.

Natural look of the grain is still there but it becomes a bit more muted as the areas are all blended together.

Shooter lanes still look natural but the ground in dirt and knot issues are better mask but not entirely covered by design.

#174 5 years ago

Unmasked.
The tones are more heavily applied in the areas that were badly burned because I know they will be covered by plastics but I still want to have a nice consistent looking playfield overall and a little heavier wood shade looks better than burns.

#175 5 years ago

Next I can start the more minor details.
First will check it on my light box.

Some minor insert bordering to take care of but pretty good overall.

#176 5 years ago

Insert borders and larger black repaints done

#177 5 years ago

Mini blacked out. Put a small touch of the trim sparkle in there to give a starfield effect.
We will see how that goes and if it makes the final build.

#178 5 years ago

Catching the smallest of details now. Minor border cracks in colors and things like that.

#179 5 years ago

White details.
Painting as little white as possible but when it has to be done I am doing it symmetrically

#180 5 years ago

Light blue details.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm surely enjoying the magic....

Me either but it looks promising

#183 5 years ago

Spiral insert is decaled again as it was from the factory but with something I can clear over.
84B20326-C7EC-4E3B-B22B-12782A402894 (resized).jpeg84B20326-C7EC-4E3B-B22B-12782A402894 (resized).jpeg
F756EEE7-E29C-4982-B705-F956F73B36FF (resized).jpegF756EEE7-E29C-4982-B705-F956F73B36FF (resized).jpeg

#184 5 years ago

Ready to clear again.

#187 5 years ago

Main is cleared again.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#188 5 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

Would you mind sharing which adhesion promoter you use? I'd like to find something comparable locally.
Thank you for taking the time to update us with the progress on these rebuilds. It's really cool to be able to follow along.

I like Cromax 222s for everyday substrates but if doing plastic you will need a different process.
I highlighted that in a different thread though.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yes and Thankfully he works with his pants on! lol

I have probably done a couple things around here late at night in my underwear.
Usually not the painting or soldering though

#194 5 years ago

Back to teardown. It gets to a point where one game starts occupying two spots so my next goal is to shrink the footprint.

Tearing down the topside is what will enable me to pull the playfield out of the cabinet easiest but there are just so many extra wires and mods that it means I need to undo those things first.
As removed the are going to be separated from the factory parts.

#195 5 years ago

Now I can begin unplugging all the factory connectors. These will need some extra attention

#196 5 years ago

Dave reports various tech issues with the game one being lamp shorts.
While tearing down I see some potential causes. Just a small drop of solder here or there can turn into vary hard problem to find.
Not to say it is this specifically but it is a good example of what can be lurking within the game.

#197 5 years ago

Underside boards removed.
Pretty dirty.

#198 5 years ago

Even on the topside I see a lot of hardware and screw replacement in this games future not to mention nickel plating.

#200 5 years ago

Harnesses have been removed and separated for cleaning.
The amount of rewiring and reconditioning on this particular game is going to be above and beyond the norm even for here.
As a result much is just cut free knowing that several extra hours of soldering will be needed anyway so the jet bumper switches,sling switches,fixed subway switches will be clipped for better cleaning etc.

1C960C33-BD34-46F2-8F4A-3F2CFBDF09F9 (resized).jpeg1C960C33-BD34-46F2-8F4A-3F2CFBDF09F9 (resized).jpeg446979A6-52AC-40B6-8D18-049A57B943D2 (resized).jpeg446979A6-52AC-40B6-8D18-049A57B943D2 (resized).jpegD7F46D05-B587-465D-AA57-D804E34882A1 (resized).jpegD7F46D05-B587-465D-AA57-D804E34882A1 (resized).jpegF5C967D6-398F-4EB6-B290-3485D8BF8FC6 (resized).jpegF5C967D6-398F-4EB6-B290-3485D8BF8FC6 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#201 5 years ago

The harnesses separated and thoroughly cleaned one at a time.
A7EBF0AE-15B8-447E-BDA1-2B0299AC3594 (resized).jpegA7EBF0AE-15B8-447E-BDA1-2B0299AC3594 (resized).jpeg42F755E3-1D8B-41A3-A81F-5C05C6512955 (resized).jpeg42F755E3-1D8B-41A3-A81F-5C05C6512955 (resized).jpeg6834960E-656E-4D62-93C8-19362D286BE8 (resized).jpeg6834960E-656E-4D62-93C8-19362D286BE8 (resized).jpeg832890C2-E601-4BF1-943F-E89852540BBD (resized).jpeg832890C2-E601-4BF1-943F-E89852540BBD (resized).jpeg
It is little things at times that dictate parts replacement
This targets for example are all rusted so replacing will be the best way to deal with that.
It will add a bit of labor and the cost of the targets themselves so it is another case where new everything isn’t so much easier it is just better at times.
94B52D21-3556-418D-976A-854DCAA7FBF3 (resized).jpeg94B52D21-3556-418D-976A-854DCAA7FBF3 (resized).jpeg

#202 5 years ago

I think we will need a new blue flasher dome.

#204 5 years ago

As I remove parts it helps highlight condition further.
Rust corrosion,incorrect parts and such are a consistent problem on this one head to toe.
The large black spacer and screw have been used to replace a metal standoff
The old style facet post is in place of a different style stand off. Pretty much every screw or nut that comes off goes in the trash. No tumbling or polishing can fix them when they get to that point.

#205 5 years ago

Gum ball machine base is missing a tab or two.

#206 5 years ago

Stripped down well enough to pull from the cabinet now.

#207 5 years ago

I am going to break down the less universal coil assemblies so I can get those brackets plated.
The other standard ones I have drawers full of ready to go.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#208 5 years ago

The platers are going to love us today

#210 5 years ago

Will spend some time going through the common coil assemblies so things don’t start building up on the future to do list.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

high_end_pins Those drawers full of nickel plated brackets/housings are RIDICULOUS (and awesome)!

Comet loves my LED drawer.
Hopefully they get some bulk blue 44 flexes in soon. Getting low.

#214 5 years ago

Common assemblies are torn down.

436D5844-02F5-42FC-A35C-FCC5DACF8849 (resized).jpeg436D5844-02F5-42FC-A35C-FCC5DACF8849 (resized).jpeg68EBEA39-97A1-4261-AB8F-1624C4F24DE0 (resized).jpeg68EBEA39-97A1-4261-AB8F-1624C4F24DE0 (resized).jpeg9ABCFDA8-1A75-4FEE-B275-87F18B4A21DF (resized).jpeg9ABCFDA8-1A75-4FEE-B275-87F18B4A21DF (resized).jpegB5602FAD-8DBD-4F36-B111-6B291E570DF2 (resized).jpegB5602FAD-8DBD-4F36-B111-6B291E570DF2 (resized).jpegCB77C4E2-1C58-4F1C-AF7A-565254CC8720 (resized).jpegCB77C4E2-1C58-4F1C-AF7A-565254CC8720 (resized).jpeg
#215 5 years ago

I don’t like to wash coils unless it is a must.
They can take a long time to fully dry
What I really want to do is clean the plastic portion so I submerge that part only in a cleaning solution after desoldering the tabs open.

21CB2C0B-F68F-4690-B021-D9B4735FD432 (resized).jpeg21CB2C0B-F68F-4690-B021-D9B4735FD432 (resized).jpeg876EDFFB-2B08-4361-9457-1B41CB655ED8 (resized).jpeg876EDFFB-2B08-4361-9457-1B41CB655ED8 (resized).jpeg932B8003-F89C-4163-AC0E-D31E0B83FBC9 (resized).jpeg932B8003-F89C-4163-AC0E-D31E0B83FBC9 (resized).jpeg
#216 5 years ago

While they soak the metal hardware that will be reused is cleaned in the ultrasonic.
1819F179-6023-4BC8-8334-D9750519CE11 (resized).jpeg1819F179-6023-4BC8-8334-D9750519CE11 (resized).jpeg

After it comes out it is placed in acetone because it dries and evaporates much quicker than water and catches any solvent based dirt the ultrasonic might have missed.

F7EC5E27-36EF-425A-9A92-89C452D98525 (resized).jpegF7EC5E27-36EF-425A-9A92-89C452D98525 (resized).jpeg
#217 5 years ago

Everything is now ready to relabel and reassemble for these coils.

#218 5 years ago

Once the coil is labeled I figure out which assembly it will be.
430DC118-8150-4DA0-9A04-FFEE9DE5A54D (resized).jpeg430DC118-8150-4DA0-9A04-FFEE9DE5A54D (resized).jpeg
In this case it will be the lower jet bumper.
According to the manual it’s common wire is Violet/orange and drive wire is Brown/yellow.
2A2AC2F3-62A5-4CE3-9FF2-2DA9119B1F41 (resized).jpeg2A2AC2F3-62A5-4CE3-9FF2-2DA9119B1F41 (resized).jpeg
06DB1675-0707-4938-A0FD-12854D127776 (resized).jpeg06DB1675-0707-4938-A0FD-12854D127776 (resized).jpeg
I then pull those that combination from my wire stock

65B6FB7D-88B7-48E0-9443-EE9B17423C37 (resized).jpeg65B6FB7D-88B7-48E0-9443-EE9B17423C37 (resized).jpegBE8D1CF3-F33E-4B2D-9355-6318B3FE69B7 (resized).jpegBE8D1CF3-F33E-4B2D-9355-6318B3FE69B7 (resized).jpeg
Then build the assembly and wire it accordingly and place it on a plug for easy servicing throughout the rest of the games life.

07275EBD-E1F9-446D-B357-2F4BA091BE63 (resized).jpeg07275EBD-E1F9-446D-B357-2F4BA091BE63 (resized).jpeg
35C2B4E3-C239-4E5E-90F0-E9D328E02B7D (resized).jpeg35C2B4E3-C239-4E5E-90F0-E9D328E02B7D (resized).jpeg

This will be the process for all coil assemblies and in the end each one will not only look nice but will be easily identified and easy to remove if needed in the future.

#219 5 years ago

Playfield is almost stripped completely underneath.
I unearthed this little discovery.

Can’t remember off hand if these are available or not. If not will fix it up as well as possible. Still functional no doubt but ugly and melted.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

At the end of this project I Fear #HEP will hate us for taking on this project.... I understand this game by most standards was not worthy of Chris's talent or time but he accepted our personal history of this machine and respectfully overlooks the irrationality of this restoration and owner to capture a small memory of someone we loved and lost. We will forever remember this journey and the return home unveil/unbox will be celebrated with the son he left behind to soon in life. Yes, my uncle was Extremely frugal and MacGyver with his repairs as he did the best with what he had/found to keep us playing.... This restoration for us will finalize what he always wished this game could be even if the only original part left is the slot machine we hand made. The only justification for this restoration is a memory of someone special to me and #HEP was the only one I thought could respect that goofy wish. Sorry again a thousand times for the extreme challenge and thank you for excepting it for us!
The Mod Couple
FYI, Now you made me feel like a total dink. lol I was the one that ordered the last 200 blue flex bulbs for Houdini mods from Comet. My bad.....

No concerns on my end.
This game is exactly what I am here for and I have seen and done worse. Love the backstory on it.
Much of what I run into is the same stuff I have seen on countless other creatively maintained games.
This is a great opportunity to take something in below average condition and turn it into something spectacular.

#222 5 years ago

Playfield is stripped complete. Less t nuts and rails all of which will be replaced.

#223 5 years ago

Time to drill the new cabinet so I can move out the old.
Starting with the head I just need the lamp panel bolt holes.

#224 5 years ago

Measurements made and noted then mirrored on the new head with masking tape as a buffer.

#225 5 years ago

Now the ground pin for the head. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Using a forstener bit so the head will countersink and not mark the top plate of the lower when placed. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#226 5 years ago

Now the lower.
Need the pivot locations although I will alter those just a bit for the best possible fit.
The hinge hole will not be drilled until the head is placed.

#227 5 years ago

Same process as the head only the pivots are moved a fraction back and down for a little extra clearance.

Double checked with the pivot plate.

All good.

#228 5 years ago

Now for final evaluation before I move my old reference point out to double check.

The only difference at this point is that the old cabinet is a later run repurposed IJ cab and the new cabinet is built off the the true TZ cabinet platform / sample.
That difference is simple that the power switch cut out is in the correct spot for a stand up power box
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgthe old one being IJ based is built to accommodate
either the stand up or lay down version.

I will add the stand off later during the build

#229 5 years ago

We can now move the old out and focus on building up the new one.

#231 5 years ago

Flippers are torndown and evaluated.
573DCA13-A415-41ED-A6E8-FCB5E5E23538 (resized).jpeg573DCA13-A415-41ED-A6E8-FCB5E5E23538 (resized).jpeg

Mixed bag there. Mostly junk including a couple brackets.

0E12EE77-0D3F-4A41-AF99-4D83C04AC926 (resized).jpeg0E12EE77-0D3F-4A41-AF99-4D83C04AC926 (resized).jpeg
3989E52D-3924-48F0-8CAA-9CAF979A8E45 (resized).jpeg3989E52D-3924-48F0-8CAA-9CAF979A8E45 (resized).jpeg

Broken down. Trash separated. C425C4CC-672F-4254-8F60-AFB569BC9C70 (resized).jpegC425C4CC-672F-4254-8F60-AFB569BC9C70 (resized).jpeg16A7C9AF-6729-43AB-91B9-55CD8B606965 (resized).jpeg16A7C9AF-6729-43AB-91B9-55CD8B606965 (resized).jpeg

#232 5 years ago

Flippers are being rebuilt with nickel plated plates and brackets as well as the correct kits and hardware. DD358B85-063E-421F-9F15-A74D50AFA09F (resized).jpegDD358B85-063E-421F-9F15-A74D50AFA09F (resized).jpegB44D129C-E615-45C7-B151-05F28C7AC672 (resized).jpegB44D129C-E615-45C7-B151-05F28C7AC672 (resized).jpegE612792E-6D1B-42B8-AB0E-1D02EBB6F9EF (resized).jpegE612792E-6D1B-42B8-AB0E-1D02EBB6F9EF (resized).jpeg

#233 5 years ago

Flippers rebuilt and placed on color correct wired plugs and factory correct looking wrappers

C68768D8-7BB2-4C3B-82C5-2B2739B08E0B (resized).jpegC68768D8-7BB2-4C3B-82C5-2B2739B08E0B (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#235 5 years ago

Most of the coil assemblies are done

The few exceptions right now are the ones having the brackets plated and the slot lockout which requires pretty much entire replacement.

#238 5 years ago

All coils are done the ones waiting on brackets are rebuilt,wired,associated parts cleaned and polished then bagged up.

#240 5 years ago

Then I turn my attention for few minutes to the backboard.
It has an older decal on there which is not really bad but has faded and has some dirt trapped below the surface
85BB3331-E379-470B-B249-6466118EC5C7 (resized).jpeg85BB3331-E379-470B-B249-6466118EC5C7 (resized).jpeg
06F28513-1AF3-4966-8FFB-3BFDA3B1E7F5 (resized).jpeg06F28513-1AF3-4966-8FFB-3BFDA3B1E7F5 (resized).jpeg
Removal may not be the best way to approach it because it could take wood grain up with it and honestly it will make for a nice base to install the new decal on.
The decal is watersanded. This helps prep and levels the surface. 73793F2E-6BA5-4A83-8846-51448D775B91 (resized).jpeg73793F2E-6BA5-4A83-8846-51448D775B91 (resized).jpeg
Then it is cleaned with alcohol to remove oils and reactivate the surface.
EE2CDCA3-BFA4-4380-8EC4-E66066D8C471 (resized).jpegEE2CDCA3-BFA4-4380-8EC4-E66066D8C471 (resized).jpeg

Ready to decal.
C52517A1-4D26-4683-9F87-F69411323A53 (resized).jpegC52517A1-4D26-4683-9F87-F69411323A53 (resized).jpeg

New decal applied. After it sets a bit I will finish the edges. 4F203AAE-F032-42AD-8E7F-1E82FAA5FDF8 (resized).jpeg4F203AAE-F032-42AD-8E7F-1E82FAA5FDF8 (resized).jpeg

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You’re basically almost done.

Not quite
Still have lots of parts to work through but some of the major things are now in place or good order.

#242 5 years ago

Ready to deal with the magnets now.
We will start at the magnet drawer.

The existing magnets,cores and brackets are serviceable with the exception of the previously added magnet and bracket. That won’t work as well as the factory set up on an original 3 magnet playfield. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#243 5 years ago

From my drawer I pull an original bracket assembly and my spare cores. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Also in there is my patented pending magnet pole turning sleeve

#244 5 years ago

Chuck the Turner in the drill.

Start with a course paper on a flat surface with some cushion under it.

Place core in lower sleeve and tighten set screw to gently cradle it

Place other sleeve over that

Spin it well centered on the paper.

#245 5 years ago

Core turned with course paper.
Looks factory machined.

Next turn on finer paper.

Then turn on red scotch brite. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Looks great but will rust eventually unless so it gets turned once more in metal polish/protectant.

#246 5 years ago

Breaking down the brackets in a vice they can be very stubborn

Opposing tension to break the bind. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

It is the thread locking sealer that both helps keep the core from walking in use but also makes it tough to turn without damaging at teardown.
Once exposed and chipped off things get easier. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#247 5 years ago

Brackets ready to polish

Brackets polished. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#248 5 years ago

New two sided tape installed on magnets

Magnet rebuilt.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

This is truly amazing work, and I love the skill involved. Wow!
I can't help but be reminded of a "joke" my dad told me when I was young.
Take from it what you will....
He was holding an axe and said:
"THIS is the axe that George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree. Really! Well, the head's been replaced twice and the handle 4 times, but this is the axe!"
No, it's not the same as this restoration. It's more of a remembrance of my dad -- who made me think about things.
That machine is gonna be a beautiful piece of history and truly a work of art! Thanks for sharing the process.

Lol!
I get that.
Speaking of which.
What about a George Washington axe or teeth mod for TZ?
About the only one not done yet.

#253 5 years ago

Going through some other odds and ends.
Sling switches are a common cause of shorts because they are tightly cramped between the mechs by design.
90A3C369-B8AF-4444-B0A7-1E73DBF679DF (resized).jpeg90A3C369-B8AF-4444-B0A7-1E73DBF679DF (resized).jpeg
The also have flimsy blades that easily bend and touch each other.
If the wires run tight that can further stress those flimsy blades.
The wires can also easily break the tabs of the blades and is thin
5C98FBEB-609D-4B74-823B-9561278FC05A (resized).jpeg5C98FBEB-609D-4B74-823B-9561278FC05A (resized).jpegF18E3B2E-5A3B-47A5-ABBF-57C1BFDD0152 (resized).jpegF18E3B2E-5A3B-47A5-ABBF-57C1BFDD0152 (resized).jpeg

The first thing I like to do is use a thicker wire to join the pair. 309404F7-9165-4022-BA00-54FFCCF6BCB4 (resized).jpeg309404F7-9165-4022-BA00-54FFCCF6BCB4 (resized).jpeg1A136BFD-3913-496D-9594-EC8A1D8439FD (resized).jpeg1A136BFD-3913-496D-9594-EC8A1D8439FD (resized).jpeg

#254 5 years ago

Next clear tubing is placed on one leg to insure that they cannot touch each other and make a false connection(a short)
D5EA9871-F638-4BF4-992B-0C24D5D576AD (resized).jpegD5EA9871-F638-4BF4-992B-0C24D5D576AD (resized).jpeg

Now I want to make these switches location specific.

The manual shows the left to be switch 34 and the right to be 354F5BD234-7B3A-459F-867E-68F7A7DBF477 (resized).jpeg4F5BD234-7B3A-459F-867E-68F7A7DBF477 (resized).jpeg

These will be the color call outs
3 means column 3 which equals Green/orange EF645115-204D-4989-88DE-51C9144652EE (resized).jpegEF645115-204D-4989-88DE-51C9144652EE (resized).jpeg

4 means row 4 which is White/yellow
FD8330BA-8383-4797-B72A-2938176E5249 (resized).jpegFD8330BA-8383-4797-B72A-2938176E5249 (resized).jpeg

When they intersect that creates switch 34 the left slingshot
This will be the wiring combo needed to make this sling spare left side specific. 4063592D-5BBF-4BC0-91D4-6C17E16C070C (resized).jpeg4063592D-5BBF-4BC0-91D4-6C17E16C070C (resized).jpeg

F4F2EE03-E75A-40E7-B0FE-21F0F3000DBF (resized).jpegF4F2EE03-E75A-40E7-B0FE-21F0F3000DBF (resized).jpeg
#255 5 years ago

The sling switches are then wired into sub assemblies that are color correct for the locations with protections in place and on plugs for easy isolation or removal if ever needed. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The arms are also rebuilt with new parts where needed.
407931CD-495E-4BA6-84EB-203025E7F25B (resized).jpeg407931CD-495E-4BA6-84EB-203025E7F25B (resized).jpeg3DBC42E8-ACEB-44A9-9BEF-189868F83A88 (resized).jpeg3DBC42E8-ACEB-44A9-9BEF-189868F83A88 (resized).jpeg3829E9BB-3FB8-43B0-B4EB-322E19CAAC30 (resized).jpeg3829E9BB-3FB8-43B0-B4EB-322E19CAAC30 (resized).jpegD9F5429D-77F9-4C65-90F4-B42E8B9CAC8E (resized).jpegD9F5429D-77F9-4C65-90F4-B42E8B9CAC8E (resized).jpeg

#256 5 years ago

Trim was shot and cleared with the final stage of color.
The stages had to be separated a few times to finally get the very subtle effect I was after.
Finally got it. In order to pull that off there will be right and left specific legs because the front of the cabinet lends itself more to the blue side while the sides a bit more towards a burgundy
That being the case only opposing sides of the legs were finished of with the red pearls.
The other is the candied blue over the previous dark cherry pearl finish.
Using one leg as an example.
This side of the leg is the blue based that will work most ideal on the front or back of the cabinet where it is simply black.

This side will work best on the sides of the cabinet where it is more red based.
The difference is the inclusion of the red pearls as they are transparently sprayed over the previous bases.

It is a lot of work for an effect that won’t jump right out at you but you know it is there when it catches your eyes right.
The biggest challenge was getting it dark enough that it still looks black at a glance and not glittery.

#257 5 years ago

Now for the apron.

Has a decal to remove on the top. Hopefully it isn’t masking anything like scratches or a hole although that would show from underneath just giving an idea of what I have seen under stickers before. 89AF5D05-D65B-46C3-875E-07FFEED58505 (resized).jpeg89AF5D05-D65B-46C3-875E-07FFEED58505 (resized).jpegE97377EF-67B3-4315-99B7-F41DDF1CD54B (resized).jpegE97377EF-67B3-4315-99B7-F41DDF1CD54B (resized).jpeg

Auto fire cover is a bit rough in terms of wiring and cosmetics. B8D94EFA-647A-4B90-A51C-7A741815884D (resized).jpegB8D94EFA-647A-4B90-A51C-7A741815884D (resized).jpeg

Parts are removed along with decals. No real surprises so that is nice. 074028E7-80B9-4356-8FEB-802F880A7BEB (resized).jpeg074028E7-80B9-4356-8FEB-802F880A7BEB (resized).jpeg

#258 5 years ago

There are some nicks and rust bubbles in a few spots.

46D4DCCB-78A6-4191-93FF-BC044B3A8945 (resized).jpeg46D4DCCB-78A6-4191-93FF-BC044B3A8945 (resized).jpeg4D07AF79-387E-4E54-A931-014A8F47ADFE (resized).jpeg4D07AF79-387E-4E54-A931-014A8F47ADFE (resized).jpeg8AEEF820-D816-4BA3-889D-31D76AF051B2 (resized).jpeg8AEEF820-D816-4BA3-889D-31D76AF051B2 (resized).jpegC3BAA128-53DF-4575-8EC6-6D049C57BAC4 (resized).jpegC3BAA128-53DF-4575-8EC6-6D049C57BAC4 (resized).jpegF8921B1F-4A80-46A5-A06D-CD979598B078 (resized).jpegF8921B1F-4A80-46A5-A06D-CD979598B078 (resized).jpeg
#259 5 years ago

Apron is cleaned.
Then watersanded and prepped for refinishing. 0E260160-A9EC-40BE-90A6-F4D0DF727BB2 (resized).jpeg0E260160-A9EC-40BE-90A6-F4D0DF727BB2 (resized).jpeg49A6D98A-6A9D-4C17-8082-24CB86D46A76 (resized).jpeg49A6D98A-6A9D-4C17-8082-24CB86D46A76 (resized).jpeg54F498D4-FF6C-4578-8E8D-7243414C3FC1 (resized).jpeg54F498D4-FF6C-4578-8E8D-7243414C3FC1 (resized).jpeg5D1A883E-A5B5-49DF-8849-01C9E2DA0232 (resized).jpeg5D1A883E-A5B5-49DF-8849-01C9E2DA0232 (resized).jpegA6EE2CEE-C0BD-47B1-ADCE-F5FFAC800D8A (resized).jpegA6EE2CEE-C0BD-47B1-ADCE-F5FFAC800D8A (resized).jpegD030F070-8E5B-42C9-B0CA-E11488B60EAB (resized).jpegD030F070-8E5B-42C9-B0CA-E11488B60EAB (resized).jpeg55E3A32B-7278-4836-9337-99BF4C541952 (resized).jpeg55E3A32B-7278-4836-9337-99BF4C541952 (resized).jpeg

#260 5 years ago

The apron is then metal etch in the bare spots and based in black after carefully masking the art portions.

45BF0560-DEC5-4C01-A2E4-6F4EBF4D145E (resized).jpeg45BF0560-DEC5-4C01-A2E4-6F4EBF4D145E (resized).jpegF690B2C3-97DB-4C8C-B16C-7B3E5D1D1A2E (resized).jpegF690B2C3-97DB-4C8C-B16C-7B3E5D1D1A2E (resized).jpeg
#261 5 years ago

After that I for an added touch to bring it in colorwise with the lockbar that will rest above it I gave it s light spray of the final over thinned pearl blue used on the final pass of the trim. 2E3C4D65-AC4E-435F-A9CB-2AB262F147E1 (resized).jpeg2E3C4D65-AC4E-435F-A9CB-2AB262F147E1 (resized).jpeg13377557-B573-4F94-8652-55236A3C75A0 (resized).jpeg13377557-B573-4F94-8652-55236A3C75A0 (resized).jpeg1760DC64-0B29-4BBD-91E3-D5864F96147C (resized).jpeg1760DC64-0B29-4BBD-91E3-D5864F96147C (resized).jpeg5779DF59-994B-4BE9-899E-55EBFB033A88 (resized).jpeg5779DF59-994B-4BE9-899E-55EBFB033A88 (resized).jpegA03DD54C-3C3C-4E98-82B7-AA73EA962E3C (resized).jpegA03DD54C-3C3C-4E98-82B7-AA73EA962E3C (resized).jpegA8A848B7-7AE4-46C0-B854-F10CB46287F9 (resized).jpegA8A848B7-7AE4-46C0-B854-F10CB46287F9 (resized).jpeg

5D7ED3E4-0876-4245-8FA4-2FF3505D7030 (resized).jpeg5D7ED3E4-0876-4245-8FA4-2FF3505D7030 (resized).jpeg
#262 5 years ago

The auto fire cover and shooter cover were done as well. FE3C16A6-9A10-45D3-B731-3FC694E57B49 (resized).jpegFE3C16A6-9A10-45D3-B731-3FC694E57B49 (resized).jpegB51FD5F4-DEBA-4B29-AB45-CF1D8BFC0E71 (resized).jpegB51FD5F4-DEBA-4B29-AB45-CF1D8BFC0E71 (resized).jpeg26140F07-36C4-4F40-8348-5A60BC9DA99E (resized).jpeg26140F07-36C4-4F40-8348-5A60BC9DA99E (resized).jpegFF8A4281-4FB1-4B4E-BFE1-0C042EE25015 (resized).jpegFF8A4281-4FB1-4B4E-BFE1-0C042EE25015 (resized).jpeg

#263 5 years ago

Then I went over the mini once more to tie it in a little more.
This was done with the same effect but a little different because the playfield Black is a truer black than the apron so it needs to be darker so it won’t look “milky”.
Sanded
B7A20729-B59B-4033-9E16-7EECFA2A82DE (resized).jpegB7A20729-B59B-4033-9E16-7EECFA2A82DE (resized).jpeg

Masked based and unmasked.
AFA75EF4-74D7-4CD5-A78A-6401192A9061 (resized).jpegAFA75EF4-74D7-4CD5-A78A-6401192A9061 (resized).jpegD3AD5B37-B90C-431F-9223-250AA9BC2724 (resized).jpegD3AD5B37-B90C-431F-9223-250AA9BC2724 (resized).jpeg

1F1DDB72-2DC6-4A6F-98A0-B96551ABEB2E (resized).jpeg1F1DDB72-2DC6-4A6F-98A0-B96551ABEB2E (resized).jpeg

#264 5 years ago

The mini is then cleared again.

Flash is used to show the difference in lighting effect
It is subtle but should look nice without being over the top when built and installed. . E12ABB6B-AF21-4E27-8FA9-42FC527F14A0 (resized).jpegE12ABB6B-AF21-4E27-8FA9-42FC527F14A0 (resized).jpeg585B73C5-5F32-47A1-B09B-C735B30F4D82 (resized).jpeg585B73C5-5F32-47A1-B09B-C735B30F4D82 (resized).jpeg0CEC6EAF-59CE-4486-B0C5-0439316000D4 (resized).jpeg0CEC6EAF-59CE-4486-B0C5-0439316000D4 (resized).jpeg44DCF58E-F12D-4E0E-98D0-36FAF9971A89 (resized).jpeg44DCF58E-F12D-4E0E-98D0-36FAF9971A89 (resized).jpeg

#268 5 years ago

Working through the remaining parts so reassembly will go quickly and easily.
Need to make some buttons up.
The start button is easy white and black but the buy in is a little tougher to match up on TZ plus the harness runs short.
3781114F-46ED-44DE-8839-BE343A98A1A9 (resized).jpeg3781114F-46ED-44DE-8839-BE343A98A1A9 (resized).jpeg

I paint a button insert to match the surrounding art then use a clear lens.

F6399FCF-E0DE-41D5-A0D5-4D73185379A8 (resized).jpegF6399FCF-E0DE-41D5-A0D5-4D73185379A8 (resized).jpeg
A color correct extended harness is then built up for it on a new switch/lamp assembly.
D2D41F12-DBF9-4394-B70B-8062484108EE (resized).jpegD2D41F12-DBF9-4394-B70B-8062484108EE (resized).jpeg88D1D0AA-FC6F-4362-A415-CA4C0FF922C9 (resized).jpeg88D1D0AA-FC6F-4362-A415-CA4C0FF922C9 (resized).jpegAA8B2E5C-D7F8-4F77-98A5-063539EAE538 (resized).jpegAA8B2E5C-D7F8-4F77-98A5-063539EAE538 (resized).jpeg

#269 5 years ago

Now for that melted subway

74FE0962-3D28-4030-90E3-5DD89D96CAAC (resized).jpeg74FE0962-3D28-4030-90E3-5DD89D96CAAC (resized).jpeg
2D50FEF1-F040-44C0-8670-D36A6ADE686F (resized).jpeg2D50FEF1-F040-44C0-8670-D36A6ADE686F (resized).jpeg

I cut away the warped sections because the future repair must be flat and easily passed over by the ball.
C5F3FFCB-42A2-4B9A-8EFA-4A8C9210B9E5 (resized).jpegC5F3FFCB-42A2-4B9A-8EFA-4A8C9210B9E5 (resized).jpeg8F79CDB5-DF5F-49D9-9975-5713E804C929 (resized).jpeg8F79CDB5-DF5F-49D9-9975-5713E804C929 (resized).jpeg

I then find something that fills the space well and lines up with what I want to do. Has to look natural to pinball.
I pick an old ramp entrance guide set and prep the fit to be sandwich riveted 77786285-FD8A-4691-88C4-A2E333B0A527 (resized).jpeg77786285-FD8A-4691-88C4-A2E333B0A527 (resized).jpegB7EB9D40-F5C1-4F7B-9163-E4CC5EEEC3FE (resized).jpegB7EB9D40-F5C1-4F7B-9163-E4CC5EEEC3FE (resized).jpeg

Once the prep is done it is washed

B7AC9C25-268C-4678-91E1-6085A6B7B98C (resized).jpegB7AC9C25-268C-4678-91E1-6085A6B7B98C (resized).jpeg
#270 5 years ago

After it is washed
I rivet a matching flat plate on the outer combined with the repurposed ramp guard. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Now it is in good order structurally. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#271 5 years ago

Next I double check my rivet placement. I need the ball to clear it.
Would probably be fine even if the ball hits the rivets in this underside location but most ideal is that it doesn’t.
By design the center of the ball can ride the edges without touching the rivets.
CD1915A1-2566-4A7A-B5B6-6132A10CB5C4 (resized).jpegCD1915A1-2566-4A7A-B5B6-6132A10CB5C4 (resized).jpeg

Next I wire each switch up independently color correct of course. 31B2DCBD-DF43-4369-AB00-A95D803D6492 (resized).jpeg31B2DCBD-DF43-4369-AB00-A95D803D6492 (resized).jpeg

Flame polished and ready to go. This will most likely not be seen at all once installed but an effort was made to make it as nice as possible. 09699F84-8569-4F81-B438-272783B695A6 (resized).jpeg09699F84-8569-4F81-B438-272783B695A6 (resized).jpeg

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Chris: why not replace the ramp?

Unavailable and honestly that is fine for this situation being that the ramp wasn’t actually broken,will function perfectly as repaired and remain hidden.
If it were as simple as just buying a new one though that would normally be the path taken.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Got it - wasn’t a judgment but more of an insight into when you chose to refurbish vs replace. Availability is certainly an important criteria
Marc

Cool. I probably should have noted the unavailability anyway.
Had no idea myself these were not available but never needed one before and I have done a lot of TZs so maybe just not commonly an issue. . Such a popular game though seems strange the trough ramp can’t be found easily

#277 5 years ago

Thank you. I searched there before and it said out of stock but it showed the entire assembly.
That looks like just the bare plastic and it would be fine too.
Might grab it as a back up but no longer a must have in this case though unless it times out well. Sometimes it can take a good bit of time for parts to land here from Australia.

#278 5 years ago

Working through the plastics. I will highlight the worst one for TZ and leave it at that for the plastic set in terms of how they are and will be done.

The worst one to do on TZ IMO is the gumball flasher stack.
It houses the flasher dome receptacles a GI bulb socket and is hardwired throughout 13FECEB3-A389-4D4B-AB20-647367696BFE (resized).jpeg13FECEB3-A389-4D4B-AB20-647367696BFE (resized).jpeg9758D9DB-349C-402E-BB88-4D8242CE75AE (resized).jpeg9758D9DB-349C-402E-BB88-4D8242CE75AE (resized).jpeg

New plastic set in hand
Compared to the old yellowed plastics. BF49FB10-31F9-4BC1-94F9-9E78BE1D1A55 (resized).jpegBF49FB10-31F9-4BC1-94F9-9E78BE1D1A55 (resized).jpeg946AF5B0-1733-43DC-8D94-9393F2D074DF (resized).jpeg946AF5B0-1733-43DC-8D94-9393F2D074DF (resized).jpeg

#279 5 years ago

Plastics are built one at a time with new sockets and wiring.
D75862EA-F29A-49BA-A939-3A0F83185180 (resized).jpegD75862EA-F29A-49BA-A939-3A0F83185180 (resized).jpeg

The assembly is complete and has a much longer and more versatile harness
A GI tap was added to easily access the GI for future mods0CAFCD77-07D6-4A98-A368-FD7BD1CE52BF (resized).jpeg0CAFCD77-07D6-4A98-A368-FD7BD1CE52BF (resized).jpeg0AD08062-3DEF-4B33-B6CF-14BE745354FB (resized).jpeg0AD08062-3DEF-4B33-B6CF-14BE745354FB (resized).jpeg

02575E52-5A05-40F3-A23B-F68FE10CD5D7 (resized).jpeg02575E52-5A05-40F3-A23B-F68FE10CD5D7 (resized).jpeg
#280 5 years ago

Now the ball guides
TZ has many and some are not easy to get into with tools so they must be done manually.

A87EF270-54DC-47A7-8ADD-3462043A474D (resized).jpegA87EF270-54DC-47A7-8ADD-3462043A474D (resized).jpeg91BF0BFC-DD55-47F4-ACF7-5C98E65FED8C (resized).jpeg91BF0BFC-DD55-47F4-ACF7-5C98E65FED8C (resized).jpeg97008A4D-BDF7-4661-A36B-56F2BB026EAA (resized).jpeg97008A4D-BDF7-4661-A36B-56F2BB026EAA (resized).jpeg
Done

E3E87412-7E22-4663-B7C2-3D6C1E4E8AA0 (resized).jpegE3E87412-7E22-4663-B7C2-3D6C1E4E8AA0 (resized).jpeg

#281 5 years ago

Something I just ran into while cleaning the boards that is a surprise was the clock motor board is incorrect.
E720E309-8F28-4A41-AE94-C4509A18A395 (resized).jpegE720E309-8F28-4A41-AE94-C4509A18A395 (resized).jpeg
FD4C6219-2608-4E0E-AF96-51AC212CE414 (resized).jpegFD4C6219-2608-4E0E-AF96-51AC212CE414 (resized).jpeg

When tearing it down I felt the board looked familiar but a bit shorter than what I am used to seeing on TZ.
The board normally is a bit longer and more rectangular.
7B8DAE93-731F-4A66-8AFC-62691256B7C5 (resized).jpeg7B8DAE93-731F-4A66-8AFC-62691256B7C5 (resized).jpeg
My initial thought was it is probably fine ,one of those situations perhaps where it provides the same function but looks a bit different. Suitable replacement type thing.

After some thought and verification I realized it was and IJ bridge board
71258816-7A59-4BFC-A3BE-EBFCE4996FC3 (resized).jpeg71258816-7A59-4BFC-A3BE-EBFCE4996FC3 (resized).jpeg
Whether it is truly useable as a clock motor controller doesn’t really matter to me so I have ordered the correct board.
When noting the various issues with the game,locked on transistor things like that it is best just to put everything back correctly and work from there if needed.

#282 5 years ago

Now for the gumball machine
DD69DF42-1C9D-408A-B77C-21E3CE55110E (resized).jpegDD69DF42-1C9D-408A-B77C-21E3CE55110E (resized).jpeg
It has some strained wires,dirty that sort of thing
27908094-B720-4D7A-87A7-B913B0E57D72 (resized).jpeg27908094-B720-4D7A-87A7-B913B0E57D72 (resized).jpeg7E021645-ED7F-4476-AB22-390D0815D555 (resized).jpeg7E021645-ED7F-4476-AB22-390D0815D555 (resized).jpeg
Torndown and parts are washed
E3BB964A-1742-4418-B162-0AA34682EB29 (resized).jpegE3BB964A-1742-4418-B162-0AA34682EB29 (resized).jpegC98C1D0F-1262-4690-A977-84C0F548D27D (resized).jpegC98C1D0F-1262-4690-A977-84C0F548D27D (resized).jpeg

#283 5 years ago

Will be rebuilt with a little nicer version of the gumballs and gumball lighting mod. 2A431F25-4D74-46EA-8A36-8BD3BEC76EAA (resized).jpeg2A431F25-4D74-46EA-8A36-8BD3BEC76EAA (resized).jpeg

Rewired with extended wiring that gave strain and short protections in place. D546991F-06F7-4144-887C-8D9B4D459E3D (resized).jpegD546991F-06F7-4144-887C-8D9B4D459E3D (resized).jpegC829B03D-806A-471A-8D2D-251053C6177F (resized).jpegC829B03D-806A-471A-8D2D-251053C6177F (resized).jpegF1BD0EE7-1645-4782-BAFD-CCA03228A670 (resized).jpegF1BD0EE7-1645-4782-BAFD-CCA03228A670 (resized).jpegBA74326D-89A4-4E5C-AAB3-4E475CA086BC (resized).jpegBA74326D-89A4-4E5C-AAB3-4E475CA086BC (resized).jpeg

#284 5 years ago

Now the clock.
Already has a new board in it with what looks like a bit of a nicely made diffuser in it.
I am going to leave that in place because I am guessing it was wanted.

DCB58B7B-574B-4A50-864A-C4E98D0374DA (resized).jpegDCB58B7B-574B-4A50-864A-C4E98D0374DA (resized).jpegE0F511C5-160C-4346-B65B-524892AF09A1 (resized).jpegE0F511C5-160C-4346-B65B-524892AF09A1 (resized).jpeg
#285 5 years ago

Clock torn down. 71699379-55A1-43EE-BA44-BC32EE1C0BBC (resized).jpeg71699379-55A1-43EE-BA44-BC32EE1C0BBC (resized).jpegD0A0738D-36C9-4B1B-8E17-830796CDD5B1 (resized).jpegD0A0738D-36C9-4B1B-8E17-830796CDD5B1 (resized).jpeg

There are some rusty sockets and screws. 32E3EF2F-A205-43AF-9CD5-5AAE416A657E (resized).jpeg32E3EF2F-A205-43AF-9CD5-5AAE416A657E (resized).jpegF20C5D2A-9BB5-4DBA-A3F6-ACF5BC317673 (resized).jpegF20C5D2A-9BB5-4DBA-A3F6-ACF5BC317673 (resized).jpeg618749D6-8068-40E6-92D6-95FAB8737956 (resized).jpeg618749D6-8068-40E6-92D6-95FAB8737956 (resized).jpeg

#286 5 years ago

The game came in with the piano mod.
I am ok with that but it is not really a mod that can be done nicely as delivered.
You are just supposed to shove the bulb sockets in the holes and hope they stay put or don’t touch.
It also makes it harder to remove and install the clock itself.

What I do in this case is rivet new three leg 44 sockets in place and run the diodes really tight BA1AA948-BB29-4ECB-8B1C-985037760484 (resized).jpegBA1AA948-BB29-4ECB-8B1C-985037760484 (resized).jpeg1E755C89-BD78-4046-A018-A799C10B10C9 (resized).jpeg1E755C89-BD78-4046-A018-A799C10B10C9 (resized).jpeg

It is a cleaner more durable mod now and I will touch the rivets up with a similar paint to hide them if needed although I am not sure they will even be visible once placed. 4C9E9CB9-64B3-4CB2-982F-582FE7BE6058 (resized).jpeg4C9E9CB9-64B3-4CB2-982F-582FE7BE6058 (resized).jpeg8FF0D819-6096-43AC-8F28-D176EC205728 (resized).jpeg8FF0D819-6096-43AC-8F28-D176EC205728 (resized).jpeg

#287 5 years ago

The clock is then reassembled with a printed plastic face plate in place of the previously installed decaled face plate.

3BF39A46-EA56-49F0-BFBA-2E520EFF9EEB (resized).jpeg3BF39A46-EA56-49F0-BFBA-2E520EFF9EEB (resized).jpeg76412002-CB9E-4C09-B16F-47683283A3D8 (resized).jpeg76412002-CB9E-4C09-B16F-47683283A3D8 (resized).jpeg
#288 5 years ago

Now to sand and polish everything so I can start the final assembly of the game.

Starting with the hinges and rails as an example I want to eliminate or minimize any minor specs of dust in the final finish.
This is where and why I prefer basecoat clearcoat as a final finish over powdercoat.
It can be fine tuned a bit more but the powder is needed for the best possible surface to start with.
I am looking to make the surface uniform as well.
Minor specs are pointed out. B82E6BF6-60F3-4E94-969E-E54BAE8F85BE (resized).jpegB82E6BF6-60F3-4E94-969E-E54BAE8F85BE (resized).jpeg3D1FFE85-5D5E-4584-AAF0-E22521FB8356 (resized).jpeg3D1FFE85-5D5E-4584-AAF0-E22521FB8356 (resized).jpeg

The surfaces are sanded to eliminate them. 20FA9E08-0E5D-42B2-BED7-1B01941A3768 (resized).jpeg20FA9E08-0E5D-42B2-BED7-1B01941A3768 (resized).jpegBD85BAF9-3C9B-4F18-B6CC-C016CA20139C (resized).jpegBD85BAF9-3C9B-4F18-B6CC-C016CA20139C (resized).jpeg

#289 5 years ago

This is done on all trim and then it is carefully fastened down on a perfectly clean surface so I won’t pick up any in the buffing pad that would scratch the surface when polishing. 6EFCBB93-A097-48D2-AAF5-219CB1933E5F (resized).jpeg6EFCBB93-A097-48D2-AAF5-219CB1933E5F (resized).jpeg

The mini is also added into the mix for efficiency. Buffing is buffing
15300F9A-DDC2-4040-9289-E2ADC4A3EDBB (resized).jpeg15300F9A-DDC2-4040-9289-E2ADC4A3EDBB (resized).jpegCAA07FE6-E1D3-46C3-806D-3B5634FFCD3A (resized).jpegCAA07FE6-E1D3-46C3-806D-3B5634FFCD3A (resized).jpeg

#290 5 years ago

The parts are then carefully polished.
It is a group of parts to polish and it has to be done in certain directions and patterns so they don’t fly across the room or get caught by the buffer and bend.
Hopefully within these pictures you can get a sense of the results.

15572489-D55A-4C03-90BD-4DC42182AF50 (resized).jpeg15572489-D55A-4C03-90BD-4DC42182AF50 (resized).jpeg302E67D5-094F-41B5-91AC-7FBB8CA066BD (resized).jpeg302E67D5-094F-41B5-91AC-7FBB8CA066BD (resized).jpeg3520012B-7B3F-4C49-A673-63D227E08C9F (resized).jpeg3520012B-7B3F-4C49-A673-63D227E08C9F (resized).jpeg5C1153FD-82AE-4AEB-AFCC-892F124E299D (resized).jpeg5C1153FD-82AE-4AEB-AFCC-892F124E299D (resized).jpeg7AC52B1A-F6AF-4045-B078-E5CE3689ABA2 (resized).jpeg7AC52B1A-F6AF-4045-B078-E5CE3689ABA2 (resized).jpeg8E5D99FC-2FDC-4960-BC04-C90C4DBDE300 (resized).jpeg8E5D99FC-2FDC-4960-BC04-C90C4DBDE300 (resized).jpeg99B4451F-A91F-44BA-8215-93E3C087977B (resized).jpeg99B4451F-A91F-44BA-8215-93E3C087977B (resized).jpegB90F984D-3260-4E7F-A8D6-EB6777ABC280 (resized).jpegB90F984D-3260-4E7F-A8D6-EB6777ABC280 (resized).jpegFA80F1EB-F7A4-4382-B807-22542D6A4DD3 (resized).jpegFA80F1EB-F7A4-4382-B807-22542D6A4DD3 (resized).jpeg
#291 5 years ago

Same process for the lockbar and apron.
F40C2553-5647-4A39-B698-3A73F292DAA8 (resized).jpegF40C2553-5647-4A39-B698-3A73F292DAA8 (resized).jpegAD1702AE-80B7-4139-BE0B-129E8FB72530 (resized).jpegAD1702AE-80B7-4139-BE0B-129E8FB72530 (resized).jpeg36C393F8-ED5E-4991-B55D-86D381EF4C84 (resized).jpeg36C393F8-ED5E-4991-B55D-86D381EF4C84 (resized).jpeg

EB6D8B76-03EA-46FF-9154-F835365F6C0D (resized).jpegEB6D8B76-03EA-46FF-9154-F835365F6C0D (resized).jpeg
B73A59BC-D000-476E-8432-76BEFC0E3480 (resized).jpegB73A59BC-D000-476E-8432-76BEFC0E3480 (resized).jpeg

#292 5 years ago

Main playfield is then sanded and polished. E5B24720-FD00-43C6-B75D-267FE030B060 (resized).jpegE5B24720-FD00-43C6-B75D-267FE030B060 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#293 5 years ago

Time to assemble everything
Starting with the cabinet
Neatly ground braided lower.

#294 5 years ago

New leg plates and cabinet protectors installed using all new screws.

#295 5 years ago

Rails placed.

#296 5 years ago

Head is being placed on lower.
I like to drill the hinge pivots after the head is placed and is nice and even with the lower for the best fit. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#300 5 years ago

Had lots of errands to run today.
Started out with court at 9 am for guardianship of our youngest son who is disabled and recently turned 18
Then supplies and finally a call from the platers that our latest batch of parts were ready for pick up.
Yaaa!

These are the remaining ones needed for final assembly of the TZ
It is a nice standard nickel finish nothing too flashy.

#302 5 years ago

Ready to build up the mini.
Old assembly. 4A301280-F2AB-4BC3-B409-48E13023BB04 (resized).jpeg4A301280-F2AB-4BC3-B409-48E13023BB04 (resized).jpeg

Torndown. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I like the street lamp but think I can make it fit in a bit better with what has been done with some tweaks.
Main thing I like is the laser cut script.
Dislikes are the pop rivets. 127A541E-BCF5-4196-9303-7D8FD7AFF2B0 (resized).jpeg127A541E-BCF5-4196-9303-7D8FD7AFF2B0 (resized).jpeg6350FDBB-C42F-4B7E-AFD0-8ACC03010112 (resized).jpeg6350FDBB-C42F-4B7E-AFD0-8ACC03010112 (resized).jpeg2792A2D5-7175-40C0-ADBA-60D1A7CF0FC8 (resized).jpeg2792A2D5-7175-40C0-ADBA-60D1A7CF0FC8 (resized).jpeg3D404FB2-91D6-4730-9F7E-0F45ABB12D14 (resized).jpeg3D404FB2-91D6-4730-9F7E-0F45ABB12D14 (resized).jpeg

#303 5 years ago

Now metal etched and refinished with a version of the trim finish. 08D35ABC-3B64-454F-8D5F-0B27205D5AC3 (resized).jpeg08D35ABC-3B64-454F-8D5F-0B27205D5AC3 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#304 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Nice.
Local shop or do you send them to someone like pinball plating?

Local shop.
I really try to minimize transferring valuable parts around and down time so it works well.
If I need something really showy or Pinball specific then I absolutely use Chris at Hot Rod Arcade

#309 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Curious on the nickle plated brackets and stuff. Down the road if a pop bumper ring, pop bumper coil bracket, or common item should break. Can one of your clients buy a new one from you to keep the HEP look ?
LTG : )

Good question.
Anything generic like that I would just give them as long as I have it on hand.
If it gets into something real game specific or strange I would still help locate and have it plated again.
Luckily this has not come up but if so that is how I would handle it.

#314 5 years ago

Mini is rebuilt with a few subtle touches.

Small holes are drilled and the wiring passed through in the all too commonly smashed wire locations. B90FA04D-1F57-46E5-818C-D90E756DF99F (resized).jpegB90FA04D-1F57-46E5-818C-D90E756DF99F (resized).jpeg0E409B0E-B1FE-4D81-AAAE-5837235BA985 (resized).jpeg0E409B0E-B1FE-4D81-AAAE-5837235BA985 (resized).jpeg

The street lamp is rebuilt using a sparkling decals for the letter cut outs.
38743109-9F2E-406D-A3A8-FF61165051B4 (resized).jpeg38743109-9F2E-406D-A3A8-FF61165051B4 (resized).jpegE8B519EF-20D6-40BD-8CF2-C262D3A9DB0E (resized).jpegE8B519EF-20D6-40BD-8CF2-C262D3A9DB0E (resized).jpegEBD58D9D-0470-4537-A1CC-21060326CF5D (resized).jpegEBD58D9D-0470-4537-A1CC-21060326CF5D (resized).jpegD87F3653-16BF-45A9-833F-5B043193EB51 (resized).jpegD87F3653-16BF-45A9-833F-5B043193EB51 (resized).jpeg

#315 5 years ago

Street lamp is rewired using all black and black striped wires to make it blend in.

#316 5 years ago

Mini is all set with no exposed wiring on the side.

06628EC7-A9ED-41A9-9D19-94F12BEAD018 (resized).jpeg06628EC7-A9ED-41A9-9D19-94F12BEAD018 (resized).jpeg
#320 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Looking great as always. but I'm surprised your not using the Twilight Zone Mini-Playfield Switch Kit TZ-MPS-KIT.
to eliminate the ugly gray rubbers that stick up and spoil the view.

I have used that set up a few times as well but unless it is specifically requested I stick with the factory covers
I think the only source for that coverless kit is GLM and not sure if they are reliably filling orders.

#321 5 years ago

Remaining coil assemblies now rebuilt with the recently returned plated brackets
Slot kick out bracket is new Mantis stainless steel version

#322 5 years ago

Ready to start assembling the main playfield.
Nice new Reese Rails will be used.

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Love the sparkle affect curious where u got the decals?

Thanks. Got it out of this drawer. Went in to get some other color filter for it and thought why not that.
I think the larger sheet is Safecracker drop target decal stock which is not what I used.
Have no idea where I got that smaller sheet from which is what I did use.
Easy peels off and can be changed if it doesn’t work once in place on the game.

#327 5 years ago

Ready to flip the playfield and start the wiring process.
Few random pictures of areas that were previously highlighted as beat or rusty.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#328 5 years ago

Underside rebuiild begins.

#337 5 years ago

All new targets are placed and the first harness I will place is the switch harness.
This will require a good bit of soldering and rework but there is already some in place to help the process such as prewiring the ball trough.

#338 5 years ago

Harness is roughed in place. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will start at the end which is the jet bumper area the old rust parts will come out as the new ones go in image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

From there the harness will be soldered and secured as it flows towards the bottom end and exit of the playfield.

#339 5 years ago

The quality of the soldering work is important for not only a solid connection but a nice appearance so that is a big focus during this stage of the rebuild.
New target soldered in. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Compared to old with the emphasis that they both could be made to look the same or similar up top but at this level it is just as important to have it be on par underneath. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#340 5 years ago

Now I can address the jet bumper switches.
Like the sling switches they are a common cause of shorts due to the need to squeeze the diodes,wires and blades all together in a small space.
Pictured is what happens often less the wires.
That is the blades are easily touched together and or diode smashed against the switch stack and inadvertently touches blades together that should not be.
It takes very little for this to happen. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
First the spoon will be swapped for a new one that is fully enclose on the end of the circle. It is also not as brittle as the aged original. 2ACCF628-EDA2-4644-90FD-E65F100150E8 (resized).jpeg2ACCF628-EDA2-4644-90FD-E65F100150E8 (resized).jpeg

#341 5 years ago

Now the wires are pulled and re threaded through the harness so all wires required for this switch are nice and even as well as exiting the harness in the same location not randomly or sloppy.
Here is an example of how they might exit in a less than ideal way. B139B0C8-96C8-4ACC-8F76-CC626776F944 (resized).jpegB139B0C8-96C8-4ACC-8F76-CC626776F944 (resized).jpeg

In order to clean that up the downstream wire is removed and will be replaced with a new color correct section that will give more real estate to neatly run. CFD7B8B5-060F-404E-A0BB-D6B2BF909F08 (resized).jpegCFD7B8B5-060F-404E-A0BB-D6B2BF909F08 (resized).jpeg2A9C185A-FA67-4D43-B6F7-FC3C3417720E (resized).jpeg2A9C185A-FA67-4D43-B6F7-FC3C3417720E (resized).jpeg

#342 5 years ago

New section is placed and cleanly exits the harness. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The switch is then wired with protection in place to eliminate the possibility of shorts at the locations noted previously.

#343 5 years ago

Jet bumper switches are then polished
3040C928-7DE4-4840-94D7-DDCB8E8875E9 (resized).jpeg3040C928-7DE4-4840-94D7-DDCB8E8875E9 (resized).jpeg

The contacts are lightly cleaned. 8CEC9139-327A-4CB8-92CC-DC3C253A44BD (resized).jpeg8CEC9139-327A-4CB8-92CC-DC3C253A44BD (resized).jpeg

The blades are gapped for maximum sensitivity without false closures.
2B903F17-EE9D-44DA-B0E0-F1C16B6129C4 (resized).jpeg2B903F17-EE9D-44DA-B0E0-F1C16B6129C4 (resized).jpeg
3319C032-1BCD-429D-8712-43E86046DEDC (resized).jpeg3319C032-1BCD-429D-8712-43E86046DEDC (resized).jpeg

These are all set now.

#344 5 years ago

Trough is wired placed on a plug for a cleaner routing of wires as well as ease of service of needed.
This also makes for a quick an easy way to take several switches out of the loop if troubleshooting with the ability to simply unplug verses desolder.

#346 5 years ago

Switch harness and subways are in place along with several coils.
Built in this order to insure that wires clear moving parts or see how to best route them.
Color coded wire in place of generics where needed.

Trash removed in this round.

#347 5 years ago

Now it is time to run the lamp harness.
This will be pretty involved because some of the sockets are incorrect image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

And I aim to replace every bit of the generic yellow daisy chain that ties most of it together.

#349 5 years ago

The best way to go about this for me is to replace all the GI sockets instead of recycling the old ones. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I do not like to color wash the games so I offer two choices of lighting schemes.
Factory looking warm or futuristic looking cool.
The Mod Couple would like the futuristic look so that means the GI will be populated with cool frosted bulbs.
This process would not be possible without a huge amount of color correct wire of course but it is truly important to go that route if the work of replacing the sockets is needed anyway.

#350 5 years ago

New screws are used and they are the gold colored ones that designate they are shorter.

If sockets are too close for this replacement style version they are easily connected to eliminate wire when practical.

#351 5 years ago

So using this section as an example this would be the normal or factory configuration image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

This would be the violet / white and violet GI strand.

The problem with it is there is a potential for smashed wires and once you get outside of the junction it no longer becomes obvious which leg of the socket is which is the violet the upper leg or the lower?
Is this still part of the strand or has it changed somewhere you can’t see once everything is covering it?
This is what I will be changing that will help easily answer those questions at just a glance.

#352 5 years ago

So this is where the violet strand enters the playfield
It then touches the sockets and loops back into the harness and feeds to this connector.
Knowing that will allow me to pretty much run that section anyway I like and just make sure my run accomplished the same thing that being tie those sockets together and terminate at the connector.

#353 5 years ago

New and improved section is now in place.

#354 5 years ago

This will continue with all new wire and sockets down the full length of this strand.

#355 5 years ago

This will be the next section.

#356 5 years ago

Next section done. You get the idea.

The same mentality and process will be used for the feature lamps.

#357 5 years ago

This style socket seems to have a more common failure point than the other styles used in the era

What happens is the socket portion just spins freely and often that is a good indicator that the socket will be troublesome or outright no good.
Unfortunately this style is not easily found new that I know of but it is easily replaced with this style. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
The flex bulb is an important part of that switch to make it work well. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Feature lamp sockets now replaced in the shown section and wired color correct

#358 5 years ago

Installing the lamp boards at this time as well.

#361 5 years ago

Old school mod already in place also the originators of the third magnet kit.
2002-2004 I think.

#362 5 years ago

Lamp harness is in place.
Solenoid harness is next.

#364 5 years ago

Getting pretty close to done with the underside.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgThe biggest thing now left as far as the underside goes will be neatly implementing the mods.
That means no alligator clips or super long wire runs that have to go from the playfield to areas like the coin door board. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
I will search out the correct voltages under the playfield and make correct connectors there.

#365 5 years ago

Also needed to finish this portion will be making a new opto pair and wiring for the auto fire cover.

#366 5 years ago

New harness for the auto fire with protections.

#367 5 years ago

Playfield wiring complete.

#368 5 years ago

Next step is wiring the cabinet power box is already in place.

#374 5 years ago

Working on building and wiring up the cabinet today.

I want the wiring of the cabinet to be just as neat and thought out as the playfield wiring I tackled earlier.

The game has a lot of mods and parts in place. Some I would prefer newer or different versions of but considering there is nothing actually wrong with them I will just put a little effort in to cleaning them up in terms of wiring or appearance.

First though I cannot run wires without boards do those are swapped for serviced units.
Serviced dot controller 43615622-C644-45E6-B3E7-9DBB568B67A3 (resized).jpeg43615622-C644-45E6-B3E7-9DBB568B67A3 (resized).jpeg
Serviced Driver77A6A2D2-8AE9-4AD6-B6F4-A82F0D6FC9D2 (resized).jpeg77A6A2D2-8AE9-4AD6-B6F4-A82F0D6FC9D2 (resized).jpeg
Serviced Fliptronic 2 A5FBD2E3-D5C7-4277-AFC8-D5A5B1D8E4A3 (resized).jpegA5FBD2E3-D5C7-4277-AFC8-D5A5B1D8E4A3 (resized).jpeg
Now we have the Aux driver
This game obviously had a couple locked on flashers and things so when looking at this board it is suspect because it drives some of these features and there have been repairs. Even though I am changing the driver I might still have locked on coils or flashers/clock issues etc if I use it as it is. If you look closely you can see the repairs. Not terrible looking but no telling if the problems were truly solved
DFB66F03-E13A-4617-8530-AF7D1AE8CB7D (resized).jpegDFB66F03-E13A-4617-8530-AF7D1AE8CB7D (resized).jpeg
4B25F592-1694-4BB9-BD70-B9A5B94334DF (resized).jpeg4B25F592-1694-4BB9-BD70-B9A5B94334DF (resized).jpeg
I will swap this with a serviced original as well F6479571-8783-42B9-8DF8-5499C1D9DE40 (resized).jpegF6479571-8783-42B9-8DF8-5499C1D9DE40 (resized).jpeg
5512CC97-AA3D-4E48-B3C4-BBFFBAC04EEA (resized).jpeg5512CC97-AA3D-4E48-B3C4-BBFFBAC04EEA (resized).jpeg

Boards are now placed AF4AC54D-A214-420D-AF13-F4CF943E2EFD (resized).jpegAF4AC54D-A214-420D-AF13-F4CF943E2EFD (resized).jpeg

#375 5 years ago

Now the speaker.
Game had a speaker upgrade but yellow is just not the ideal color for me because I like things to look good and match when and where possible.
There is nothing wrong with it though so I will break it down and dress it up a little better for this build. 0706E9D1-6557-422F-8573-78478BE1B1A5 (resized).jpeg0706E9D1-6557-422F-8573-78478BE1B1A5 (resized).jpeg

Remove crossover and the decals one is on top of another. 5AFD16BB-1206-457C-B745-F967F111CB7F (resized).jpeg5AFD16BB-1206-457C-B745-F967F111CB7F (resized).jpeg

Scuff and mask
C890984A-8902-438E-9E3F-159ECB037177 (resized).jpegC890984A-8902-438E-9E3F-159ECB037177 (resized).jpeg

Etched in black. Nothing too fancy. 03811144-D76F-4C29-A488-C91D73832251 (resized).jpeg03811144-D76F-4C29-A488-C91D73832251 (resized).jpeg

Reassembled Cut out a coin door decal to dress it up a little bit.
00B469D5-8E01-437D-B880-F4C672E17482 (resized).jpeg00B469D5-8E01-437D-B880-F4C672E17482 (resized).jpeg

#376 5 years ago

Next are the flipper buttons.
It seems simple but the game has lighted buttons and they are orange when lit.
Instead of just tossing them it makes for an interesting challenge.
How can I make them work and why toss them only to order more?

I do some initial checks and settle on a translucent red ring with a black center to best match the cabinet.

It just looks like a black button when off. 4CF733D0-8F10-4DA8-B2C3-85C0028542F3 (resized).jpeg4CF733D0-8F10-4DA8-B2C3-85C0028542F3 (resized).jpeg

When powered the orange shooter was as red and it looks nice,fits the scheme and saves the mod. D5C6FAF0-3698-4B78-AD54-D9594E42A8EA (resized).jpegD5C6FAF0-3698-4B78-AD54-D9594E42A8EA (resized).jpeg

#377 5 years ago

Now that I know the lighted button mod is usable I will better implement it into the build it starts out a mess. All this wire is meant to simple tap 12volts all the way in the head. Not needed but I can appreciate the plug and play aspect of it for the hobbyist.
8088D34A-6E34-4702-A41A-D667443506C4 (resized).jpeg8088D34A-6E34-4702-A41A-D667443506C4 (resized).jpeg

The button mod needs 12 volts so I will grad that as close a possible to the buttons off the coin door board. 97443A5D-0690-4BDD-8579-E86020C4F18D (resized).jpeg97443A5D-0690-4BDD-8579-E86020C4F18D (resized).jpeg

The mod has a controller that I want to make easily accessible. So I use two sided tape to mount it in an easy to reach spot. 5DA7316E-4CD6-49CC-B760-7509E3B51BC4 (resized).jpeg5DA7316E-4CD6-49CC-B760-7509E3B51BC4 (resized).jpeg

The board is all set now with the tap and controller neatly installed. 3B0A03B5-62C1-4B39-9495-40CC0749A417 (resized).jpeg3B0A03B5-62C1-4B39-9495-40CC0749A417 (resized).jpeg

Now for the buttons.
I want to hide the wiring as well as possible and also protect it from tugging or shorts. DCC1F926-DD13-4E8C-920E-82E772A825FF (resized).jpegDCC1F926-DD13-4E8C-920E-82E772A825FF (resized).jpeg

This is done with shrink tube and a tight fitting closed loom.

54A51ADE-5DCC-4749-973B-53F98B55CCD1 (resized).jpeg54A51ADE-5DCC-4749-973B-53F98B55CCD1 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
292 posts in this topic match your search for posts by High_End_Pins. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-hep-awesome-anniversary-tz-dream-comes-true?tu=High_End_Pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.