(Topic ID: 212100)

My HEP Awesome anniversary! TZ dream comes true!

By Yelobird

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0531.GIF
IMG_0532.GIF
IMG_0533.GIF
IMG_0769 (resized).jpg
IMG_0768 (resized).jpg
IMG_0762 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 5 years ago

Metal grill is cleaned and polished. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will need to finish breaking down the board mounting panel

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#152 5 years ago

Board panel torn downimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The screw clips go into the ultrasonic cleaner. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The panel gets sprayed with a metal cleaner. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

What does this mean?

We are enjoying Golden Dragon beer.

LTG : )

#154 5 years ago

Panel is then watersanded and considered good enough given its location,purpose and what will actually show once reassembled.
I could turn it into a mirror but I prefer to use my time a little more wisely by using that spared time on things that are more important to the restoration.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#155 5 years ago

Boards are thoroughly cleaned and dried. The ones that need rework will be exchanged with freshly serviced originals.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#156 5 years ago

Working towards harvesting all the parts from the game that I will need to build up the new cabinet.
There are lots of mods and creative wiring
As bad as it looks I will be able to easily clean it up tomorrow n terms of mod wiring
It needs various 12 volt taps and I will build those into the harnesses where needed and eliminate much of this.

#157 5 years ago

On TZ the buy in button wiring really runs short so I will address that too just noting it as I pull the cabinet wiring.

#158 5 years ago

More cabinet parts removed.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#159 5 years ago

Cabinet wiring was separated and is soaking in cleaner solution.
Will rebuild the power box as it soaks

#160 5 years ago

Rebuilding the power box will include a new line filter,fuse holder,on off switch
Varieties,thermistor and adding a service outlet to upgrade and fully convert to US specs.
Freshly plated housing is also part of the rebuild.

#161 5 years ago

Power box rebuilt.
Original switch was good and in a plastic housingwith push on terminals so it was easily reused.

#162 5 years ago

Paint work today
The playfield is ready to sand and repair/repaint. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I am also going to dial the trim color in a bit more.
A black with blue sparkle was requested and tried but something just doesn’t mesh there when placed.
EE815289-CFB7-451B-B821-5F8E6B0775C3 (resized).jpegEE815289-CFB7-451B-B821-5F8E6B0775C3 (resized).jpeg
I think the real issue is that both the replacement and original cabinet are are burgundy based and as a result I need to move towards that image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Still will look black at face value but in the light it will be a more appropriate match.
B31E5CE8-4A24-4F6A-9CF1-34D22056464A (resized).jpegB31E5CE8-4A24-4F6A-9CF1-34D22056464A (resized).jpeg
7EA5DC3E-586D-4FAC-93D3-305C0A2EE9AE (resized).jpeg7EA5DC3E-586D-4FAC-93D3-305C0A2EE9AE (resized).jpeg

#163 5 years ago

Will do a door for the game this time around also.
The game has a replacement entropy door but I prefer the glossier happ door on TZ builds.

#164 5 years ago

Never thought I'd be saying this but ... HEP's power box is sexy. Grrr ... Rruff ... Purrrr

#165 5 years ago

Playfield sanded. Catching some minor chips here and there
Most just minor chip outs from the removal of the jet bumper nails.
Common occurrence even if well versed on TZ playfields.

#166 5 years ago

Trim sanded now including a door and shooter housing.

#167 5 years ago

Trim painted and cleared with an improved effect.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#168 5 years ago

Playfield is cleaned and ready to repaint as needed.

First I will freshen the natural wood up.
This step will disguise the ground in dirt and bulb burn as well as address the repairs that were needed in those areas.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#169 5 years ago

Definitely not here.
With a new cabinet etc doubtful even if you did it yourself.

That was a joke my friend. As always your stuff is amazing

#170 5 years ago

Pressing and cutting out the masking film.
Nothing fancy ,special or secretive just a steady hand,good eyes and a whole lot of experience.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#171 5 years ago

Masking complete.

Same process on the mini because it has some ball dings and a small chip out on the profile.

#172 5 years ago

Now is where it gets a bit more complex.
All woods vary so I will use different shade and transparencies to address the concerns.

#173 5 years ago

Wood tones are sprayed.

Natural look of the grain is still there but it becomes a bit more muted as the areas are all blended together.

Shooter lanes still look natural but the ground in dirt and knot issues are better mask but not entirely covered by design.

#174 5 years ago

Unmasked.
The tones are more heavily applied in the areas that were badly burned because I know they will be covered by plastics but I still want to have a nice consistent looking playfield overall and a little heavier wood shade looks better than burns.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#175 5 years ago

Next I can start the more minor details.
First will check it on my light box.

Some minor insert bordering to take care of but pretty good overall.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 5 years ago

Insert borders and larger black repaints done

#177 5 years ago

Mini blacked out. Put a small touch of the trim sparkle in there to give a starfield effect.
We will see how that goes and if it makes the final build.

#178 5 years ago

Catching the smallest of details now. Minor border cracks in colors and things like that.

#179 5 years ago

White details.
Painting as little white as possible but when it has to be done I am doing it symmetrically

#180 5 years ago

Light blue details.

#181 5 years ago

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm surely enjoying the magic....

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Me either but it looks promising

#183 5 years ago

Spiral insert is decaled again as it was from the factory but with something I can clear over.
84B20326-C7EC-4E3B-B22B-12782A402894 (resized).jpeg84B20326-C7EC-4E3B-B22B-12782A402894 (resized).jpeg
F756EEE7-E29C-4982-B705-F956F73B36FF (resized).jpegF756EEE7-E29C-4982-B705-F956F73B36FF (resized).jpeg

#184 5 years ago

Ready to clear again.

#185 5 years ago

Would you mind sharing which adhesion promoter you use? I'd like to find something comparable locally.

Thank you for taking the time to update us with the progress on these rebuilds. It's really cool to be able to follow along.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Come on Ted pay attention! in the next post, pics will show the playfield looking clean, colors vibrant, black insert outlines black and shiny sheen

#187 5 years ago

Main is cleared again.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#188 5 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

Would you mind sharing which adhesion promoter you use? I'd like to find something comparable locally.
Thank you for taking the time to update us with the progress on these rebuilds. It's really cool to be able to follow along.

I like Cromax 222s for everyday substrates but if doing plastic you will need a different process.
I highlighted that in a different thread though.

#189 5 years ago

I don’t understand how you’re this good at this. It’s not human.

#190 5 years ago

Shop light reflections are sexy.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Shop light reflections are sexy.

Yes and Thankfully he works with his pants on! lol

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yes and Thankfully he works with his pants on! lol

I have probably done a couple things around here late at night in my underwear.
Usually not the painting or soldering though

#193 5 years ago

I have probably done a couple things around here late at night in my underwear.
Usually not the painting or soldering though

And thankfully Not the photography! lol This is looking SO fricken amazing. Love the change on the armor sorry for the extra work. Looks so much better with the artists touch. Thanks Chris.

#194 5 years ago

Back to teardown. It gets to a point where one game starts occupying two spots so my next goal is to shrink the footprint.

Tearing down the topside is what will enable me to pull the playfield out of the cabinet easiest but there are just so many extra wires and mods that it means I need to undo those things first.
As removed the are going to be separated from the factory parts.

#195 5 years ago

Now I can begin unplugging all the factory connectors. These will need some extra attention

#196 5 years ago

Dave reports various tech issues with the game one being lamp shorts.
While tearing down I see some potential causes. Just a small drop of solder here or there can turn into vary hard problem to find.
Not to say it is this specifically but it is a good example of what can be lurking within the game.

#197 5 years ago

Underside boards removed.
Pretty dirty.

#198 5 years ago

Even on the topside I see a lot of hardware and screw replacement in this games future not to mention nickel plating.

#199 5 years ago

This makes me want to buy a beater and have this magic done to it. Owing a HEP pin is a real honor.

#200 5 years ago

Harnesses have been removed and separated for cleaning.
The amount of rewiring and reconditioning on this particular game is going to be above and beyond the norm even for here.
As a result much is just cut free knowing that several extra hours of soldering will be needed anyway so the jet bumper switches,sling switches,fixed subway switches will be clipped for better cleaning etc.

1C960C33-BD34-46F2-8F4A-3F2CFBDF09F9 (resized).jpeg1C960C33-BD34-46F2-8F4A-3F2CFBDF09F9 (resized).jpeg446979A6-52AC-40B6-8D18-049A57B943D2 (resized).jpeg446979A6-52AC-40B6-8D18-049A57B943D2 (resized).jpegD7F46D05-B587-465D-AA57-D804E34882A1 (resized).jpegD7F46D05-B587-465D-AA57-D804E34882A1 (resized).jpegF5C967D6-398F-4EB6-B290-3485D8BF8FC6 (resized).jpegF5C967D6-398F-4EB6-B290-3485D8BF8FC6 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-hep-awesome-anniversary-tz-dream-comes-true/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.