(Topic ID: 212100)

My HEP Awesome anniversary! TZ dream comes true!

By Yelobird

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0531.GIF
IMG_0532.GIF
IMG_0533.GIF
IMG_0769 (resized).jpg
IMG_0768 (resized).jpg
IMG_0762 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 5 years ago

Ready to mask and prime.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#52 5 years ago

How do you still have fingerprints with that much hand sanding and no protection?

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

How do you still have fingerprints with that much hand sanding and no protection?

Clearly these hands have never done a days hard work

#54 5 years ago

Cabinet is masked.

#55 5 years ago

Ready to prime the cabinet.
This is the material bill for just the filler primer and tape.
Easy to spend over $200 just priming the Cabinet even with favorable pricing not even thinking about sand paper,razor blades,electricity,equipment etc.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#56 5 years ago

Cabinet is primed.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#57 5 years ago

You work so efficiently. You must have a great staff that helps you be so efficient

#58 5 years ago

Now guide coated.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You work so efficiently. You must have a great staff that helps you be so efficient

I have the best staff money can buy. None
Although I will say anyone that makes a product or provides a service as part of this process is a silent contributor.

#60 5 years ago

The cabinet looks so nice after you've explained the pitfalls. Unpainted it is a work of art that I'd rather have over a Supreme pinball.

#61 5 years ago

Wow! My wife and I are so excited and Honored to see this game be born again through the artists hand. Yes for most this game would be classified a basket case but the sentimental value and history makes it worth it and we are So very grateful Chris is taking on this challenge for us. Thank you Sincerely for sharing this journey with us and others!

The Mod Couple
Dave and Darcy

#62 5 years ago

This is going to be an amazing process and experience for you to follow as your game is reborn @Yelobird.
Subscribed!

#63 5 years ago

following!
I bet you will be verry heppy when it's finished!

see what did there

#64 5 years ago

Congrats yelobird! Wish my TZ could get the HEP treatment. Just an amazing pin and worthy of getting the best kind of restoration. Subscribed.

#65 5 years ago

Dave, you are in for a mindblowing transformation of your game....Chris is amazing, both as a consummate professional and a genuine nice guy. Super excited for you!!!!...my TAF is glowing!!!!!mark

#66 5 years ago

Atta boy yelobird.
This is my machine, and I’ve never played a tighter, nicer looking game.
Search: HEP Twilight Zone Black : pinside
You’ll love it-it’s amazing. He’s the best.

#67 5 years ago

Just finished my morning workout but before I hit the shower I am going to get today’s dirty work out of the way.
Sanding and painting definitely qualify so it is a perfect time to prep the cabinet for paint and clear.

#68 5 years ago

With just a quick light pass over the lower cabinet side I can help highlight the benefits and importance of the guidecoat.
If the primer were just in its natural state I would be sanding blind in essence.
The contrast of The guidecoat makes the highs and lows of the surface easily identifiable and will be my guide to properly sanding the cabinet nice and straight. Hence the term guidecoat.
Nice new wood still is not straight it has ripples and grain.
Few would spot either easily but if you know what you are looking at or for it is bothersome.

#69 5 years ago

Sanded a bit more and the highlights are hit but this is where the details and deeper issues start to show.
Ideally all the guidecoat will be gone and little to no wood showing through the primer so sanding will continue until that is the case.

#70 5 years ago

Sanding is complete on this side. That process will continue on all surfaces of both the lower and head.

#71 5 years ago

Lower is done.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#72 5 years ago

Moving to the head.
The seam in the back is something I can accent or eliminate but whichever option I go with needs to be consistent so that f eliminating it needs to be all the way around
That is what we will do with this one.

#73 5 years ago

Cabinet is ready to base in black.

#74 5 years ago

Based on black and ready to clear.

#75 5 years ago

This is happening fast! Fun follow

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 5 years ago

Cleared

#77 5 years ago

Bolts blasted and painted.

#78 5 years ago

I love these threads!! Thanks for posting!! Dreams come true!!

#79 5 years ago

Cabinet will gloss down a bit as it dries.

#80 5 years ago

This is going to be awesome, TZ deserves this treatment! Congrats on your game (and your marriage!)!

#81 5 years ago

Well that escalated quickly

#82 5 years ago

Congrats on the anniversary and HEP restore!

I mentioned this to my wife today. Today’s our 23rd. She’s been a supportive pinball wife but when I suggested HEP to celebrate our 25th she said ‘I don’t think that’s happening”.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Congrats on the anniversary and HEP restore!
I mentioned this to my wife today. Today’s our 23rd. She’s been a supportive pinball wife but when I suggested HEP to celebrate our 25th she said ‘I don’t think that’s happening”.

Happy anniversary anyway

#84 5 years ago

Now I have the future cabinet in order and curing I can focus on the playfield.
The existing playfield looks ok at a glance I could work with it
Definitely have seen and done worse.
The highlights would be the typical stuff. Ground in dirt,ball drop damage, insert bordering a little vertical cracking here and there.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#85 5 years ago

It has been drilled for a third magnet and there is some cracking around the original magnet below that.
The most troubling thing without full teardown at a glance is the mini playfield.
That is cracked to a point that it really is not worth salvaging because the inserts themselves are affected as well.
When they plank like this and then the dirt gets ground in it really equals the following process
Level surface then close to total repaint.
The circles,the lettering the gradients in the pyramid could easily burn many hours of time and material and the end result would still not be true perfection.
That is a process I don’t mind doing when there are no other alternatives but I save it for those situations as well.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
#86 5 years ago

When a third magnet is added to a production playfield it does not have the benefit of the factory recess underneath for the magnet assembly to sit in.
It sets at a different level.
Not a huge deal it can be functional but it is technically odd.

#87 5 years ago

What I will do in this case since the game is already been upgraded to the third magnet including the ball guides is utilize a true factory third magnet playfield.
I have done many TZs over the years many different ways but knowing how special this game and process is to the owner I feel comfortable gifting a more appropriate spare set to the cause.
It will need a level of restoration on par with the original in the game but it is more ideal for several reasons which I will highlight.

#88 5 years ago

On a true factory third magnet game we have the following.
A natural wood border that is purposely offset.
A true pocket for the magnet assembly

Green color on the insert surrounds leading to the main ramp.

A more gradient heavy grayer door panel. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Green lock insert.

Sticker on the spiral although I will eliminate that during the rework because not all highlights are good just technical.

#89 5 years ago

Of course when it comes to the mini the most noteworthy difference is the lack of FLIP HERE within the red and white circles.

#90 5 years ago

One other advantage besides building a more technically and historically correct game is it will allow the playfield restoration process to be done independently of the teardown and parts reconditioning which means I can more thoroughly address both without impact.

#91 5 years ago

This is a great thread to watch - love the documentation of the process and the background behind the decisions you’re making.

Marc

#92 5 years ago

Head is screened with the warning text. 3B5414B0-AC13-471D-9B62-C7BA94516B88 (resized).jpeg3B5414B0-AC13-471D-9B62-C7BA94516B88 (resized).jpeg
F6A3A4C5-328C-4CF4-BEA3-A2CE648E096C (resized).jpegF6A3A4C5-328C-4CF4-BEA3-A2CE648E096C (resized).jpeg
2D4531A8-83D3-4C39-8677-722840B53F89 (resized).jpeg2D4531A8-83D3-4C39-8677-722840B53F89 (resized).jpeg

#93 5 years ago

Cabinet will now be sanded on the surfaces to be decaled then moved out of the paint shop.

#94 5 years ago

Cabinet is sanded in preparation for the decal install. I will blow it off unmask it and wipe it down with s cleaner next.

#95 5 years ago

Cabinet is blown off
Wiped down inside and out. 16CB17DD-D41B-4BE8-9DD2-04F24BCA2CDC (resized).jpeg16CB17DD-D41B-4BE8-9DD2-04F24BCA2CDC (resized).jpeg
8DBE6AC2-5075-4EA8-B2D3-56B32E651923 (resized).jpeg8DBE6AC2-5075-4EA8-B2D3-56B32E651923 (resized).jpeg

Now in the rebuild area where it can be decaled when ready.

#96 5 years ago

With the replacement cabinet now in good order I can start the playfield restoration.

#97 5 years ago

First order of business is pulling the Mylar sections.
This is done with the freeze spray method.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#98 5 years ago

The areas that were demylared are now being soaked in an adhesive remover.
Then the glue wipes off with a litte effort.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#99 5 years ago

Playfield set is cleaned with two separate cleaners.
One is water based and removes any organic or natural occurring dirts or contaminants that are water based.
The other is solvent based and removes what the eater based cleaner cannot which would be oil and solvent based contamination’s. C073F395-9B6E-4059-9B87-E904577A0340 (resized).jpegC073F395-9B6E-4059-9B87-E904577A0340 (resized).jpeg

Playfield is as clean as it can get from this method so other methods will be used to take care of anything remaining.

#100 5 years ago

Now I will clean the holes and do an initial sanding on the backside

When things like wax are running down into the holes it is ugly sure but it also creates a potential for adhesion failure. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will run through each hole with a steel round brush chucked up in a drill.

This will be done on all holes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 79.50
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lebanon, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-hep-awesome-anniversary-tz-dream-comes-true/page/2?hl=buju and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.